National Urban League Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.7

Interview

Interestingly enough, I felt unwelcome as soon as I stepped foot in the interview. Moreover, the questions asked by the interviewer seemed to be intended to steer me away from the position. I was taken aback with the overall tone of the interview. As a POC, who grew up in a predominantly Black/Latino community, it was both off putting and offensive that the interviewers ( who happened to be Caucasian) without warranting, questioned my authenticity and intent. Needless to say I was not impressed and accepted another offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure this is the place for you?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Urban League (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received automatic notification. Few weeks later, received email to schedule an interview. I conducted an interview over the phone and received notification that I was selected for the job 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about about your position at [insert company name]?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Urban League.

Interview

I was called on for an interview with the department head of the internship I was applying for. He asked me a few questions then another employee came in and asked me more questions. The questions were normal interview questions. Afterwards I received a tour of the building, which I appreciated.

All Positions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Urban League (Madison, WI) in October 2014.

Interview

The Urban League has a lengthy interview process. 1. Phone Interview 2. Group Interview 3. Project in the community or simulation activity 4. Panel interview with leadership and hiring manager 5. Panel interview with staff 6. Panel interview with Urban League members The questions were not out of the ordinary, but it was a lot of work so that they can be sure they find a good fit for the team.

General Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Urban League (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied by word of mouth, met with a recruiter, gave an over view of my work experiences through out Mass. after which was assigned to maintenance details, a church, which lasted approx. 1 year, general maintenance at a private elementary school 31/2 yrs. last assignment general maintenance for local business approx. 1 month.

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Urban League (Springfield, IL) in June 2010.

Interview

Pleasant employees; Relaxed atmosphere; supportive company with decent benefits; given plenty of opportunity to discuss position and ask questions; treated with courtesy and respect; down to earth individuals; overall very nice experience.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall any difficult or unexpected questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Placement and Retention Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Urban League (Wichita, KS) in May 2010.

Interview

The hiring and interview process is simple. A candidate will submit a resume to the hiring Program Director. If selected to move on in the program they will will be contacted for an interview. Typically the interview is conducted with at least two other people. All questions are behavior based.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging questions came after my actual interview. I received a call from the interview panel stating that it was between myself and another candidate why am I the best candidate.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lasara, TX

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at National Urban League (Lasara, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Interview, job offer and start date, backgroud check.

Interview Questions

• In your own words, explain who our organization is and what we stand fo?   Answer Question

Computers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elyria, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Urban League (Elyria, OH) in May 2009.

Interview

Just a friendly chat about my skills, the goals of the company and if my hours were compatible.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation