Nationwide Children's Hospital

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.7

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Two lengthy phone interviews to confirm my lengthy background with Nationwide's current software systems and my management experience. After the positive phone interviews a face to face meeting was set up.
    During face to face meetings no further questions were posed regarding my experience and all meetings were brief.
    It appeared I was being screened for physical appearance. The next day I received a call stating that another candidate was better suited for the position. This could not have been the case because of my exclusive healthcare background and experience with their Lawson Software systems. I am in my low 50's and plan to work another 15-20 years. I am active and physically fit as well. My salary requirements aligned perfectly with the position as well. My age was the determining factor in not getting hired.
    Unfortunately the best experience and qualifications do not always mean a company will look beyond age. This is not an equal opportunity employer.

Interview Questions

• We are looking for succession planning. Are you willing to move within the company as needed?   1 Answer

Housekeeping Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

I have put so many applications in and had like 3 interviews

Interview Questions

• when they call can you come in for enterview   1 Answer

BH Community Based Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in July 2013.

Interview

I interviewed 4 different times for the same position. Additionally I spoke with the HR Recruiter 2 different times. Interview process was anxiety ridden. I received the interview through attending a job fair at the hospital. The recruiter immediately followed up with me and provided interviews for 2 different Behavioral Health Positions within the hospital.

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate a role play detailing how you would discuss behavioral issues with a teacher whom doesn't understand how to teach to students with learning disabilities.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in March 2012.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview after the connection had been established by my PhD mentor. We then had a casual interview during which we discussed my research experience, career trajectory, interests, skills, etc. I had already been working for another PI in Research, so we also discussed what I was currently doing and what I was hoping to get from a new position in terms of content, schedule, and tuition funding. Several more emails, phone calls, and informal meetings happened before the university worked out joint funding with the research department I was going to work with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Several meetings, emails, etc between myself, the PI, and my PhD mentor to work out a funding option, since the hospital pays for my PhD stipend.

Systems Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in August 2011.

Interview

First, you meet with a representative from Human Resources. She will ask you general questions that try to size up your personality. Then you interview with your potential manager and they will ask more position-centric questions and give you a technical assessment. Usually the assessment is JavaScript or .NET. After that, there is a panel interview with the people that you would actually work with, and yes they are judging your abilities and whether or not they want to work with you. After that, it's usually a week before you get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you worked with someone who was difficult to work with and what did you do to alleviate the problem?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want, it's the only time you will be able to negotiate. They will send you a formal offer letter, and you can counter-offer without fear of losing the position. They are willing to negotiate.

Data Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in April 2011.

Interview

I was considering a salary position after being out on my own consulting as a software architect and manager for over 5 years. When I showed up at HR it was like they were herding cattle. When the receptionist pointed me to the no cell phone sign I promptly left the building to complete my conversation. The meeting with the HR person for the specific IT department went like this.

IT HR: What are you looking to make?
    ME: What is the salary range?
    IT HR: I can only tell you the bottom of the range is 56,000
    ME: That's less than I was making in 1999 (10+ yrs ago). I'm over six figures now.
    (at this point the HR person was ready to end the interview had I not said...)
    ME: Why don't I meet the team and talk to them for a bit and find out what type of things they are working on.

(at which point I had a great conversation about the impact and opportunity of the Internet on Healthcare, and mobile technologies, with a couple middle managers for 1.5 hours. During the conversation it became clear they wanted an ETL/database monkey and the position was not for me, but it was a nice conversation none the less.)

Interview Questions

• How much are you looking to make?   1 Answer
    • Do you want to script pushing data around between different database systems?   1 Answer

Senior IT Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

Easy interviiew

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

Simple. Submit using online tool. Arrive to sign for drug test and speak with recruiter. Quick notification.

Negotiation

Not applicable since first year was volunteer status.

Psychology Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in December 2010.

Interview

I had to go through the national internship match service, APPIC.

Interview Questions

• I didn't have any difficult questions, the process was more conversational   Answer Question

Negotiation

Intern positions are different, so there was none.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) in November 2010.

Interview

I was already working at Children's, so the first interview was in person. A little bit of a meet and greet. The second interview was a ssh session and assessment of my programming skills. There were three questions, that were mostly scripting based questions. I also met with the rest of the staff. After accepting the job, and then going through the process from the other perspective, meeting the staff is important and is used to determine if the interviewee is a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Because this is a position that involved biological research, there was a question that went deeper into my biological knowledge than I expected. Be prepared to answer questions from all areas.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.