Nationwide Children's Hospital

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Programmer Interview

Systems Programmer
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in August 2011.

Interview Details – First, you meet with a representative from Human Resources. She will ask you general questions that try to size up your personality. Then you interview with your potential manager and they will ask more position-centric questions and give you a technical assessment. Usually the assessment is JavaScript or .NET. After that, there is a panel interview with the people that you would actually work with, and yes they are judging your abilities and whether or not they want to work with you. After that, it's usually a week before you get an offer.

Interview Question – Name a time where you worked with someone who was difficult to work with and what did you do to alleviate the problem?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want, it's the only time you will be able to negotiate. They will send you a formal offer letter, and you can counter-offer without fear of losing the position. They are willing to negotiate.

Housekeeping Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in August 2013.

Interview Details – I have put so many applications in and had like 3 interviews

Interview Question – when they call can you come in for enterview   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in January 2011.

Interview Details – Simple. Submit using online tool. Arrive to sign for drug test and speak with recruiter. Quick notification.

Negotiation Details – Not applicable since first year was volunteer status.

Graduate Research Associate Interview

Graduate Research Associate
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview after the connection had been established by my PhD mentor. We then had a casual interview during which we discussed my research experience, career trajectory, interests, skills, etc. I had already been working for another PI in Research, so we also discussed what I was currently doing and what I was hoping to get from a new position in terms of content, schedule, and tuition funding. Several more emails, phone calls, and informal meetings happened before the university worked out joint funding with the research department I was going to work with.

Interview Question – What do you want to do when you finish your PhD?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Several meetings, emails, etc between myself, the PI, and my PhD mentor to work out a funding option, since the hospital pays for my PhD stipend.

Intern Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR a couple of weeks after I submitted my application online. I first interviewed with an HR manager and the interview questions were pretty typical. I then moved on to move to the department that I worked in to do an interview with people who were on my team. They were incredibly nice and genuinely seemed interested in my work experience. I felt comfortable the entire time. They had other candidates to interview after me, so I was offered the job about 2 weeks later and accepted.

Interview Question – Name a difficulty work experience you had to overcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Programmer Analyst
Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was already working at Children's, so the first interview was in person. A little bit of a meet and greet. The second interview was a ssh session and assessment of my programming skills. There were three questions, that were mostly scripting based questions. I also met with the rest of the staff. After accepting the job, and then going through the process from the other perspective, meeting the staff is important and is used to determine if the interviewee is a good fit.

Interview Question – Because this is a position that involved biological research, there was a question that went deeper into my biological knowledge than I expected. Be prepared to answer questions from all areas.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Senior IT Analyst Interview

Senior IT Analyst
Columbus, OH

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in March 2011.

Interview Details – Easy interviiew

Interview Question – How do you handle conflict   View Answer

Data Architect Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was considering a salary position after being out on my own consulting as a software architect and manager for over 5 years. When I showed up at HR it was like they were herding cattle. When the receptionist pointed me to the no cell phone sign I promptly left the building to complete my conversation. The meeting with the HR person for the specific IT department went like this.

IT HR: What are you looking to make?
ME: What is the salary range?
IT HR: I can only tell you the bottom of the range is 56,000
ME: That's less than I was making in 1999 (10+ yrs ago). I'm over six figures now.
(at this point the HR person was ready to end the interview had I not said...)
ME: Why don't I meet the team and talk to them for a bit and find out what type of things they are working on.

(at which point I had a great conversation about the impact and opportunity of the Internet on Healthcare, and mobile technologies, with a couple middle managers for 1.5 hours. During the conversation it became clear they wanted an ETL/database monkey and the position was not for me, but it was a nice conversation none the less.)

Interview Questions

• How much are you looking to make?   View Answer
  • Do you want to script pushing data around between different database systems?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Psychology Intern Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in December 2010.

Interview Details – I had to go through the national internship match service, APPIC.

Interview Question – I didn't have any difficult questions, the process was more conversational   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Intern positions are different, so there was none.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in March 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone/E-mail contact with department admin. & main doctor. Flew down from NYC for an interview. Talked to several doctors and went to several locations where they see patients/do research. More informal discussion of my background, what the job entails, etc. I paid for my own flight & hotel room etc., followed up twice when I got home, and NEVER heard back from anyone. Unprofessional, horrible, and just lacking the common decency to give me a call or send me an e-mail to let me know if I had gotten the job or not.

Interview Question – What was your thesis about?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Nationwide Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nationwide Children's Hospital interview questions and advice in Columbus, OH. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nationwide Children's Hospital employees and interview candidates.