Nationwide Children's Hospital

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in April 2011.

I was considering a salary position after being out on my own consulting as a software architect and manager for over 5 years. When I showed up at HR it was like they were herding cattle. When the receptionist pointed me to the no cell phone sign I promptly left the building to complete my conversation. The meeting with the HR person for the specific IT department went like this.

IT HR: What are you looking to make?
ME: What is the salary range?
IT HR: I can only tell you the bottom of the range is 56,000
ME: That's less than I was making in 1999 (10+ yrs ago). I'm over six figures now.
(at this point the HR person was ready to end the interview had I not said...)
ME: Why don't I meet the team and talk to them for a bit and find out what type of things they are working on.

(at which point I had a great conversation about the impact and opportunity of the Internet on Healthcare, and mobile technologies, with a couple middle managers for 1.5 hours. During the conversation it became clear they wanted an ETL/database monkey and the position was not for me, but it was a nice conversation none the less.)

Interview Questions
  • How much are you looking to make?   View Answer
  • Do you want to script pushing data around between different database systems?   View Answer