Nationwide Children's Hospital

Relevance Date Difficulty

BH Community Based Counselor Interview

BH Community Based Counselor
Columbus, OH

I applied through other source - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in July 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed 4 different times for the same position. Additionally I spoke with the HR Recruiter 2 different times. Interview process was anxiety ridden. I received the interview through attending a job fair at the hospital. The recruiter immediately followed up with me and provided interviews for 2 different Behavioral Health Positions within the hospital.

Interview Question – Demonstrate a role play detailing how you would discuss behavioral issues with a teacher whom doesn't understand how to teach to students with learning disabilities.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Systems Analyst
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in September 2013.

Interview Details – The process started with two phone interviews that went very well. My background and experience were ideal for Nationwide. They use Lawson Software and I worked directly for Lawson as a consultant for 7 years. My background is exclusively in Healthcare as well.

The process moved quickly and a face to face interview with the IS team was scheduled.
I was surprised that during the face to face meetings there were no further questions about my qualifications. In fact, all the meetings were informal and brief. The one significant question I received was related to succession planning: Would I be available to move up and into other roles as needs arise? The answer was yes. I am 51 years old, and in good physical shape. I plan to work for another 15-20 years as well.
The next day, I received a call from the HR contact person telling me they had unfortunately decided to go with another candidate. This was an abrupt halt to the process. Everything leading up to the that point had been extremely positive. I could not identify anything negative that happened during the face to face meetings. Seeing me face to face was the turning point.
5 months later, Nationwide posted a position for a 'Manager of Information Services'. That was the exact title and position I held at the time. I applied the first day the position was posted. The very next day, I received an email telling me the position had been filled even though the position was still posted. It was then I realized that Nationwide had already decided that they would not be hiring me.
There is no question in my mind that no other candidates could have been better suited for the needs of Nationwide. Nationwide dismissed me only after they saw me in person.
Most organizations know that the employees today stay with a company and average of 5 years. Nationwide seems to place more value on age than experience.

Interview Question – All the Q and A sessions went smoothly. In fact, things initially moved quickly because of how positive all the phone interviews went.   Answer Question

Systems Programmer Interview

Systems Programmer
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in August 2011.

Interview Details – First, you meet with a representative from Human Resources. She will ask you general questions that try to size up your personality. Then you interview with your potential manager and they will ask more position-centric questions and give you a technical assessment. Usually the assessment is JavaScript or .NET. After that, there is a panel interview with the people that you would actually work with, and yes they are judging your abilities and whether or not they want to work with you. After that, it's usually a week before you get an offer.

Interview Question – Name a time where you worked with someone who was difficult to work with and what did you do to alleviate the problem?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want, it's the only time you will be able to negotiate. They will send you a formal offer letter, and you can counter-offer without fear of losing the position. They are willing to negotiate.

Physician Recruiter Interview

Physician Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in January 2014.

Interview Details – I initially replied to a posting on LinkedIn. I received an email asking me to fill out the full application online which was very lengthy and repetitive. Once that was complete I was emailed a short questionnaire to fill out with questions related to my experience and the position. After that was completed I was invited in for a 1:1 interview with the Dir of Employment Services. The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes. I was told that she was wrapping up interviews within the week and would let me know a decision either way. After three weeks with no contact, I sent an email to which I received a quick reply saying that they moved forward with a different candidate.

Interview Question – Pretty general recruiting interview questions   Answer Question

Human Resources Associate Interview

Human Resources Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in October 2009.

Interview Details – Received a quick response to application submitted; interview was professional

Interview Question – None were difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time I felt I was offered adequate rate of pay for position being considered for.

Housekeeping Interview

Housekeeping
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in August 2013.

Interview Details – I have put so many applications in and had like 3 interviews

Interview Question – when they call can you come in for enterview   View Answer

RN Clinic Position Interview

RN Clinic Position

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in March 2013.

Interview Details – Several interviews with recruiter, with hiring managers, hiring manager professional, recruiter absolutely rude and unprofessional

Interview Question – Nothing was unusual   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The way the nurse recruiter offered was via email almost as an after thought...negotiations non-existent. Made me question if this is how I'd be treated as an employee

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in January 2011.

Interview Details – Simple. Submit using online tool. Arrive to sign for drug test and speak with recruiter. Quick notification.

Negotiation Details – Not applicable since first year was volunteer status.

Graduate Research Associate Interview

Graduate Research Associate
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview after the connection had been established by my PhD mentor. We then had a casual interview during which we discussed my research experience, career trajectory, interests, skills, etc. I had already been working for another PI in Research, so we also discussed what I was currently doing and what I was hoping to get from a new position in terms of content, schedule, and tuition funding. Several more emails, phone calls, and informal meetings happened before the university worked out joint funding with the research department I was going to work with.

Interview Question – What do you want to do when you finish your PhD?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Several meetings, emails, etc between myself, the PI, and my PhD mentor to work out a funding option, since the hospital pays for my PhD stipend.

Intern Interview

Intern
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nationwide Children's Hospital in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR a couple of weeks after I submitted my application online. I first interviewed with an HR manager and the interview questions were pretty typical. I then moved on to move to the department that I worked in to do an interview with people who were on my team. They were incredibly nice and genuinely seemed interested in my work experience. I felt comfortable the entire time. They had other candidates to interview after me, so I was offered the job about 2 weeks later and accepted.

Interview Question – Name a difficulty work experience you had to overcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable.

Worked for Nationwide Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!