Nationwide Financial

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.8

Senior Consultant, Market Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Financial.

1) 30 min phone screens with HR Recruiter and Hiring Manager (separately). 2) Full day onsite interviews with key team members: several superiors, peers, and business partners; each interview was an hour, which allowed for good conversation development. Resulting from that day, hiring decisions were made. Interview process seemed fair, straight-forward, and not like anyone was "tricking" me or putting me through a stress interview. HR recruiter openly answered all questions.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly situational interview "Tell me a time when..." interview questions provided by HR to measure key traits and skills. Example: "Tell me a time when you had to convince someone of something that they were reluctant about." Each interviewer had topics and questions, but they were allowed to deviate from the list, so while there was theme consistency, there was also interviewer style variance that could indicate that others could go through a slightly different experience.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Financial.

Typically, there will be at least three interviews, the first with the human resource department and the subsequent interviews with the hiring manager and others from the respective department. A presentation will most likely be required. Furthermore, professionalism is of the utmost importance, as candidates are screened to see if they could fit into the Nationwide culture.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions will be the ethical questions, as they are used for cultural screening.   Answer Question

Finance Leadership Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Financial in September 2013.

Round 1 Questions
    What was your best leadership experience?
    Tell me reasons why a company would decline a project even though there's a positive NPV?
    Which statement out of the cash flow, balance sheet and income statement tells you the most about a company?
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    What are some of the products and services that nationwide offers?
    What are some of the characteristics of a good leader?
    Why would Nationwide have started a bank? What are some of the benefits?
    What are the benefits of having a private company?

Assessment test

Round 2 Questions
    Strategy Interview
    We are an insurance company and we are losing market share and not as profitable as our competitors what should we do?

Technical Interview
    We are thinking about building a building financed completely by debt what are the effects on all three statements?
    What is duration?
    What is the effect of inflation on an insurance company?
    What is the relationship between asset turnover ratio and profit margin?
    What is the effect of interest rates with an insurance company?
    What are some of the business line of an insurance company?
    Why would a manager overvalue its inventory?

Presentation Interview
    Why will you be a positive contributing team member of this organization? 5 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview is by far the most difficult, make sure that when you study to relate everything back to an insurance company.   View Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewis Center, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewis Center, OH

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nationwide Financial in August 2013.

Though I was a contractor, this position began with the typical phone interview. The hiring manager was bubbly and friendly and didn't ask any questions that caught me off guard. As is typical of many interviews, the in-person segment drilled down into abilities and experiences that - overall - had nothing to do with the position or what I ended up doing, but that the company would have liked in their candidate just so they could check a box.

The interviews were on the easy side, if I'm being honest. The interviewers asked a lot of the candidate (myself), when a cursory understanding of Adobe Photoshop and a 3rd-grade writing level was all that was REALLY required of me.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what superpower I would choose if I had unlimited options. It was about as unexpected as possible.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation because it went through my placement agency.

Associate Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nationwide Financial in June 2013.

1 phone interview, 3 in person interviews. First phone interview resulted in just learning about what I did at my previous employer and some of my background and qualifications.

The next interview I met in person with the people I would be working with. Again, many questions were about my background and experience. At that point I was able to learn more about the position and ask applicable questions. This group interview consisted of 5 people lasting 2 hours (1 hour for the group, 1 hour 1-1).

Second interview was with upper management. This is when I started receiving difficult questions regarding background and work experience. I had 4 separate 1 on 1 interviews resulting in 2.5 hours. Some of there questions came off as negative, but I think they were just trying to see what character I had. Some questions my job experience as I was a retirement consultant prior to landing this job in insurance (Yes, you can make a switch!).

Third interview was with the chief actuary, Steve Ginnan. I was only supposed to talk to him for a half hour but I talked to him an hour. Most of his questions were about my background and what I had accomplished in the last few years. There was a lot of pressure in this interview because I knew it would be the last one and I would either get the job or I would falter and I wouldn't get it.

Process started in May 2013 and didn't get an offer till August 2013. This was very aggravating and was blamed on vacations that people were taking in July. I wish Nationwide would have been up front up the timeline instead of dragging it out so long. I was given an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How many cubic feet in a cubic yard? I was just so caught off guard by this as he just pulled it out in the middle of the interview when I was talking about my current job.   View Answer
    I was unable to receive more base pay, but I was able to negotiate a sign on bonus. I did my negotiating over the phone/email with the hiring manager

Requirements Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nationwide Financial.

Only One phone interview. The interviewers were four and the interview focused mostly on my resume. Not many technical questions. A lot of question on Agile methodology. After the interview, a week later I was offered the position

Applications Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nationwide Financial in March 2012.

Two group interviews. The interviews followed their "management hiring practices" manual, which is based on questions that require you to think of examples in your career where you dealt with a certain situation or required a certain skill

Interview Questions
    • THe entire interview was very interesting, but they did ask something unexpected: How would you handle 24 hour production support within your team? That was so easy I thought there was a trick.   Answer Question

Actuarial Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nationwide Financial in November 2011.

Initially applied online to my college career website. Did a one on one interview at school with one of the VP's of the department, then did a full day of interviews on-site with the rest of the VP's, an HR rep, then the Chief Actuary. Everyone was really nice and easy to talk to. Each interview was 45 minutes in length, the first half consisting of the interviewer asking questions about me and my background, then the second half the interviewers wanted to know what questions I had, so be prepared to come with a lot of questions in mind and to discuss the company. Overall, every interview seemed more like a conversation than an interview.

Interviewers seemed to be most interested in leadership experience, programming experience, and commitment to passing actuarial exams. What impresses them most is a thorough knowledge and understanding of the company and motivation to work at Nationwide. Also, there are plenty of Buckeyes and Buckeye fans working for the company, so a good understanding and interest in Buckeye Football and Basketball might not hurt.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about some of you leadership experience. What does it take to be a good leader and how will you be able to transfer your leadership skills to this position?   Answer Question
    • What do you think are some traits that are important to being a successful actuary?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you worked on where you used your programming/Excel/Access knowledge.   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with and motivate a team member who isn't doing his share of work?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was very generous and exceeded offers from similar companies.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

interviewed at Nationwide Financial in November 2011.

Single Round of Interview . The questions were basically revolving around my experience in technology and some behavioral questions. Interview was not hard the interviewer made me comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • How did you improve the performance of the product.I did not expect the question to be so technical.   Answer Question
    No negotiation although I did not initiate it.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nationwide Financial in May 2011.

There was a phone interview to understand intentions. Then there was a panel interview with the hiring manager and other people that would be working directly with me. They had the questions pre planned and it was a round robin approach. One person would ask question #1 and the next person would ask question #2. The interview was not too terribly technical if you knew what you were doing.

Interview Questions
    Yes, I was able to negotiate. But Nationwide is not big on hiring near the top of the pay band.