Nationwide Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.8

Member Care Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide (Des Moines, IA) in July 2015.

Interview

I took an online assessment which simulated real-sounding calls. You must have your speakers working on your computer to take the test, because you will hear a phone ring, answer it, and then hear a simulation of a customer speaking. I had to read the directions on a simulated Call Center computer screen to know how to find and enter information correctly into the fields for 4 different companies before taking calls. Read this carefully. You really need to have a pretty good idea what the screen options are to perform well. One example of a call was, a "customer" will ask you about a trip they are taking. They are angry about the way their call was handled on a previous occassion. You must choose the best thing to say back to them from a multiple choice question. Then, you must find the tab on the screen that will take you to the travel agency company. You have to enter their customer information, like name, address and phone number. Then, you must folllow the guidelines for the travel company to resolve the customer's issue and make them happy again. You have the option to hit a replay button to hear a repeat of the last thing the caller said, but you only have 10 minutes to do the whole assessment. I had to replay each customer saying their name, address and phone number in order to enter it right, because they speak kind of fast. I think I got through 4 calls. The next step was a phone interview. The phone interview is like a real interview as far as the questions that were asked, but you answer like you are leaving a message on voice mail. You hear a question, you push a number to repeat the question and a number to leave your answer. Similar to leaving a voice mail message, however I was not able to review what I said and erase and re-record. When I read the directions, I thought I would be able to re-record my answer but I couldn't. I was having some issues with my own phone so maybe it was me. I recommend you have all your notes in front of you and be as ready as if you are in a real interview. There are 9-10 questions and they will let you look at the questions before the phone interview, so you can prepare. The questions were something like, Why do you think you would be a good fit for the job?, What does customer service mean to you?, What would a previous boss say you needed to improve on? If you have new information to learn, how do you do that? After that, I got scheduled for a face to face interview. There were two interviewers. Both were very nice and put me at ease. One talked and one typed what I was saying into a laptop. The questions were standard, Tell me about your background, Name a time when you made a mistake and what you did to fix it? They will not accept general answers. You must give one specific example of one specific incidence. Period. They are looking for happy, happy, happy people who put being helpful and friendly as the top priority. Everywhere you look in the building are motivational and ultra feel-good statements all over the walls in large lettering. Friendly people who get along seems to be very , very important to them, which I thought was great, but might not be everyone's style. They want you to use the S.T.A.R. format for answering questions (Situation-Task-Action-Result). So, you start with a specific example and tell them the Situation: What was going on, who was involved, etc. Then you tell them the Task/Action: What needed done? What did you do? What actions did you take? Then, What was the result? How did you know you hit the goal or were successful?

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation and how you handled it. (Like an angry customer, etc.)   Answer Question
    • What did/do you like about your last job? What is something you would change if you could?   Answer Question
    • What is something you didn't like about a previous job? What did you find challenging?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide (Gainesville, FL).

Interview

It is a 3 step process: Phone call, Online personality and skills test, In person interview that is one on one. There is a drug test and background test once accepted.

Interview Questions

• Customer service and coworker situations. Keep in mind situations youll be able to talk about. Describe a difficult situation with a coworker, difficult situation with a customer, manager... etc. Describe a situation where you could have performed better. A situation where you over performed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Online initially, personality test as well as skills test. Fairly simple. Face to face interview with moderate questions, i don't remember the specifics however i remember being required to answer a certain way. They would ask you a question and you would have to answer in a certain format, structure, using certain words provided. I cant say it was extremely difficult, very casual atmosphere. However it was just a bit challenging.

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide (Columbus, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out a job application online. This was followed by a followup questionnaire. Then the interview. It was over 5 hours, and I met with four different managers and directors, as well as 3 peers. This was mostly a getting-to-know-you-period -- they were looking at whether I would be a good fit for the company. There were also some "what would you do in this scenario" questions as well.

Interview Questions

• If you had to make a decision based on incomplete information, what would you do?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Nationwide.

Interview

Applied in November, and they asked me to do a phone interview during January. It was a 30 minute phone interview, and they called me a week later saying that I had got the internship and if I would like to accept. The interview was fairly easy, compared to interviews I had taken at previous places. Really glad I got the internship.

Associate Claims Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nationwide (Harrisburg, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Awesome interview. Was able to relax and connect with a higher up and my soon to be manager. We really clicked and immediately, I knew it would be a great place for me to start a CAREER. With the position, they are all about action and results. I have never been so confident because I knew I could excel and my skill set would make me a great asset given my sales/customer service background.

Interview Questions

• Very situational, describe a time when you had to provide great customer service with a difficult customer. How do you prepare yourself to have a succesful day.   1 Answer

Claims Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide (Columbus, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

I met with two people. The process went quite smoothly. The question were very detailed and require specifics. Please do not generalize. It would be to your advantage if you prepared for this type of interview. Think about how your current for prior experience makes you an appropriate fit for the position you are applying. Use this as leverage. My overall experience was GREAT!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation during the interview. I was pleased with the offer.

Member Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide (Des Moines, IA).

Interview

Kinda hard to get an interview. Has testing that u have to complete. Consists of phone interview, and a series of in person interviews. They look for outgoing people as you are on the phone all day with members and that is huge to Nationwide as far as member being treated like gold

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nationwide (Asheville, NC).

Interview

Painful! The agent did all the talking and asked me very few questions and really told me very little about what to expect. I wasn't given any information about benefits, or lack there of. The job I wound up doing was not at all what was discussed during the job interview.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nationwide (Columbus, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Very psychological based in nature with situational based questions... I.E. Situation, task/result. The process can be involved to include: prescreen, interview 1:1, group or panel, and follow-up for finalists. HR is generally very good, yet senior mgmt is very slow to hire. The worst thing is that the interview format doesn't allow candidates a lot of flexibility to tell their story outside of situational questions. Some of the standard interview questions aren't applicable for every job and managers don't ask many original questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to deal with ambiguity/ change management. Explain the situation and what steps you took to drive process improvement.   Answer Question

See What Nationwide Employees Are Saying

Current Specialist in Columbus, OH

Pros: “Nationwide itself is a great environment. The company really does believe in it's mission statement and this comes from the top down. They can get a little 'blowhard' some...”“Nationwide itself is a great environment. The company really does believe in it's mission statement and this comes from the top down. They can get a little 'blowhard' some times but overall they management really believes in doing the right thing and 'helping people' when they need it most. No seriously. I was in an elevator once with some with some big whigs and they were discussing that even though a storm his Pennsylvania and it was going to cost the company, they agreed that 'this is reason why we're here'. If you're in the admin, marketing or IT portion of the company you can pretty much set your own hours. Pretty much everyone is gone at noon on Friday. No problem working from home if you just as long as you get your stuff done. Lots of challenging opportunities and the work makes it constantly interesting. People seem to have a lot of possibilities to move around the company and work on various projects. Downtown environment is great, the buildings themselves are kept immaculate and the each floor has a different theme. It's a 'serious-fun' environment but no one takes themselves too seriously.” – Full Review