Naval Research Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2014
Updated Jun 18, 2014

2.8

Research Physicist Interview

I worked here as a National Research Council post-doc first. NRL does most of its hiring from the post-doc pool. At the end of my postdoc, they asked me if I wanted a job. I said yes. It took about 6 months to fill out the paper work, which included them filing a "fake" posting on USAjobs and me "applying" for the position.

There was no negotiation. Everything is set by Congress.

Computer Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory.

Interview is very easy if you are really qualified. If you are not...don't bother.

Interview Questions
    • Describe uncertainty in a mathematical/scientific way.   View Answer
    They told me what the job paid and I said Ok.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory.

After sending my resume to the division's email twice, I heard back from the superintendent about a potential opportunity. They flew me out there for a visit/interview, which mainly consisted of me giving a presentation, and meetings with the different groups and a tour of the facility the rest of the day.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about my presentation related to my research.   Answer Question

Engineering Spacecraft Design Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory in October 2011.

Virginia Tech has an on-campus interviewing program that I applied to, but first met with the recruiter at our school's career fair, Engineering Expo. I attended their information session in the morning and signed up for the interview slot that followed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in more detail your project, research, and other engineering experience.   Answer Question
    • Explain what other hands on experience or technical knowledge do you have.   View Answer

NRC Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory in August 2011.

Contacted potential advisers, who were very helpful in writing a proposal to the NRC. When NRC scores were posted, I was invited for a visit where I gave a talk and met with several staff members who were interested in my work and other post docs/former post docs who can tell me about the program and my advisers. Returned home and waited a month or two before the hiring decision was made.

No negotiation

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory in November 2010.

Recruited straight from undergrad, did not do a co-op as many others had. I was told initially that they wanted me and had a spot, but soon after they lost funding for it. I worked elsewhere for a year, got tired of it, and asked the recruiter (also my future boss) if they had funding for me. After a few weeks and a preliminary background check, I was asked to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • None really, but there were 8-10 people in the room all asking about my research experience as an undergrad and what I could bring to their projects. So no particularly hard questions, just a somewhat intimidating experience.   View Answer
    No negotiation, they offer a standard starting salary by major, degree, and department

Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory in December 2009.

I received a call about a week after applying. I spoke on the phone with my future employer about my resume, and the interview consisted of no other questions or skills tests. I was summarily offered a position for the winters and summers that I accepted.

Research Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Naval Research Laboratory.

I reached out to my current supervisor directly after meeting with one of his postdocs during a professional meeting. I was invited to the lab to give a seminar and interview with other scientists at the facility. After my interview I was recommended to apply through the NRC Research Associates Program, which, as far as I'm aware, is the only way to obtain a postdoc at the lab. The process was quite involved, involving a proposal for what I would be researching at the laboratory. Once accepted, the last hurdle involves obtaining a security clearance, which is also rather involved. In the end, there is some great work being done here and the salary far surpasses that of university postdocs. I have recommended colleagues to apply.