Naval Undersea Warfare Center Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

2.1

Mechanical Engineer, Code 70 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center (Providence, RI) in May 2015.

Interview

Went to their Spring Recruitment Event and talked to various departments specified by a code and number. (ex. code:1234) Got a call the next day. Interview conducted over the phone with three people.

Interview Questions

• Mostly pretty standard interview questions. Some behavioral, some experience based, a few knowledge testing questions. Apparently they normally hand out a cheat sheet of questions to think about, but because my interview was over the phone, I did not receive it until after the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center (Newport, RI) in May 2015.

Interview

Went to a job fair for the different codes they had. Received a phone call a week later for another interview. The interview was with 3 individuals. They were all pleasant and easy to talk to. We mostly went over my resume and past experience. They asked me situational questions to test me on my patience.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center.

Interview

Interview was good, asked basic behavioral questions. Ask a lot of questions about your resume and ask for further elaboration. Also, did a good job explaining the job and future work i could be doing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation at all.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center (Newport, RI) in August 2014.

Interview

As an onsite contractor with a strong reputation, I interviewed with multiple codes. In each interview, there was a pleasant interview and discussion with the branch head and another one or two engineers.

Interview Questions

• What do you not like to do?   1 Answer

Salary offered was 11% below my current salary. As much as I appreciate and respect NUWC and the folks that work there, I could not bring myself to entertain the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, RI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center (Newport, RI).

Interview

I knew someone who worked here so they referred me. I came in for a series of interviews and tours and was hired relatively easily.

Interview Questions

• I was young, so the whole "where do you see yourself in 3,5,10 years" question was difficult to answer accurately.   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was none. I was a junior engineer so I took the position with no negotiation.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center (West Bethesda, MD) in December 2011.

Interview

First had an on campus interview where the questions were the general questions: 1) Describe a time when you were on a team. 2) Describe a time where you had to resolve a conflict. Then after passing that I had an onsite interview, it was one of those full day events where we got a briefing of all the departments, then they gave us a lab tour, then we had interviews with groups. These were 1:1 interviews, they all went very well (the number of groups you interview with varies between people and all depends on your previous experiences etc... Just because you have more doesn't mean you'll get the job). In those 1:1 interviews I was asked to describe my thesis project a bit, my career goals, what i'm looking for in a job, they didn't ask any nontechnical questions. I'm still waiting to hear back from them (Glassdoor didn't have an option to choose so I chose no offer).

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a career?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer - ND4 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Naval Undersea Warfare Center (Newport, RI) in August 2009.

Interview

I initially went to a career fair at URI. They set up tables for each code and basically conduct a minor cattle drive to move the large herd of candidates in a less then orderly fashion toward the tables. You can then decide at which code to apply. I was brought in approximately 7 weeks later for an interview with the branch manager for code 4124. He was quite nice and very accomodating. We met and he gave me a quick 45 min run down of what his code does and what NUWC was all about. We then chatted for about an hour. For the next stage he took me to a conference room to meet with one of his teams. I was greeted by 4 employees each allowing me to ask anything I wished. I was showed their lab space and allowed to ask more questions. The branch manager then picked me up and escorted me back to my car.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to work on really high tech stuff or legacy stuff?   1 Answer

The benefits are well under what the private defense industry offers today. The health benefit costs are 2.5 times what I am currently paying at my current job. No dental or vision is offered as a benefit, so you have to pay 100%. This added cost negates the 4% pay increase they offered me to leave my job.