Navigant Consulting

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in October 2012.

Interview Details – First round on campus consisted of two personal interviews and nothing too difficult. There was never any technical questions in any of my interviews. The second round was on location and consisted of 3 hour long interviews with senior staff which were a little more pointed. We spent the night prior eating/drinking with the firm and getting to know one another. They just wanted a normal person.

Interview Question – If you know you cant finish your work by the deadline, how do you proceed?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I should have but didnt.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in January 2012.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with the HC rep from the Chicago headquarters. He follow-up-ed later to set up interview date in the DC office (where the position is) for the following month. I went to the DC office in January on a Tuesday afternoon. I had a three one-on-one interviews. The first one was with a Senior Consultant (who is now my friend), who asked questions about my resume and warned me about some of the negative aspects of the project I was being considered for. The second interview was with the Managing Director. He tried to sell me the job more ask me questions. The third interview was with a Managing Consultant, who has human resources experience; and this was the real deal. She did more than looking over my resume. Her questions were designed to figure out what motivates and drives me, but I found it a pleasant conservation.

Interview Question – Have you ever a job with a lot of repetitive tasks? How have you dealt with it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was less than four hours after interviewing in DC, that I received phone call from the Human Capital rep in Chicago, who extend the offer. They really wanted me to join the training class that was starting up in 6 days, so I was given less than 24 hours to accept the offer or accept an alternative offer to start in a month for now. I decide to accept and start right now. That offer was good, compared to the market at the time.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in December 2009.

Interview Details – had phone and on-campus interviews to start. on-site interview consisted of one-on-one interviews, in addition to a 30-minute long (research/project) presentation to the group. not grueling, but make sure your presentation is interesting and informative.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you contributed to a team effort.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – decided to go to graduate school instead

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in March 2012.

Interview Details – First interview consisted of two main questions. Describe a success in your work experience and a difficulty. One should also describe how well they would fit as a consultant. Thus, one should speak on teamwork and leadership skills, as well as communication skills.

Interview Question – Describe a success in your work experience   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in December 2011.

Interview Details – Not hard interviews but it took them a lot longer to make the decision then originally expected. Had to deal with employee vacations. Overall very friendly interviews. They are very devoted to team cohesiveness,so don't try to be a individual.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself as more of a detail oriented person or a over all picture person and why?   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in December 2011.

Interview Details – Initially applied through university career services website. Was contacted for a first round phone interview. First round interview was strictly behavioral, with an emphasis on previous experiences working in teams. Very conversational, and felt like they were mostly gauging if you could fit into their office culture. After the phone interview, was invited to the office for a final round of interviews. Office visit began with lunch with two consultants to ask questions and discuss life with the firm. After lunch, there were a series of 4 45 minute interviews. Similar to the first round interview, these interviews were exclusively behavioral and designed to clarify any questions or concerns you had about the business, and for them to see how well you would fit in and that your goals were aligned with what the firm could offer you. All in all the interviews were very relaxed and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been a part of a team where issues arose between group members? What measures did you take to address them?   Answer Question
  • Have you ever taken a leadership role on a team and made a decision that resulted in poor results? Were you able to correct your mistake? If so, how?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied though my school's career site and got an interview. The interview consisted of behavioral questions only (no case) and I really enjoyed it. My interviewer was really funny and it felt more like a conversation. We talked about my resume, why I am interested in litigation consulting, how my previous experiences would help me excel, etc. He seemed like he was very prepared and responsible, and yet laid back.

Interview Question – What do you know about litigation consulting and why would you want to work in the field?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Non-consulting Position Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in September 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online directly for the job. Got called by recruiter from Chicago for a phone screen. After that, was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. Sent thank you email to the hiring manager, and he replied back directly, which was nice. He called me to schedule a phone interview with HIS manager who was based in Chicago headquarters. Not sure what the point of that interview was since it seemed to be impromptu - was it another screen or more informational? Then the hiring manager scheduled an interview in-person. Didn't know sometimes whether to contact the recruiter or the hiring manager, and the recruiter confessed he didn't quite know where things stood at one point. Not sure they have their interview process down. The floor of the building I interviewed on was amazingly sparse - very few signs of life - felt like an abandoned office with exposed ceilings and empty cubes lined with offices around the perimeter. Interview w/ the hiring manager took over an hour - there was a defined list of interview questions, but once we got talking, the interview became more conversational. Then I met with another office support staff and was asked if I've ever been in a work environment where you had to just deal with what came down the chain.

Interview Question – (paraphrased) Why are you looking to leave your current job?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in May 2007.

Interview Details – After an initial phone interview met with various employees in 1:1 interview. I recall interviewing with an Managing Consultant, an AD, a Managing Director and the equivalent of a Partner. It was a fairly straightforward interview process. Questions such as are you opposed to travel being a Consultant, describe your past experience, why do you want to work for us, what do you know about the company, what areas of professional interests do you have, etc.

Interview Question – It necessarily wasn't a question being asked but rather your future boss not making time for your interview. This led to some anxiety on the first day because you walk into a new job not knowing what the chemistry would be like with your boss.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Navigant Consulting in February 2008.

Interview Details – Phone call, initial group interview with one/two managers usually by phone. Second interview is usually with about 5 people in your future team.

Interview Question – Describe your experience and how you overcame an obstacle at work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, Just be honest and tell them what you are expecting.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navigant Consulting interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Navigant Consulting employees and interview candidates.