Navistar

Getting the Interview

79 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Melrose Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Navistar in November 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening with in-house company recruiter followed by in person interview. Interview consisted of a series of 6 behavior questions over the course of an hour. Question format was typical of behavioral interviews.

Interview Question – Questions were textbook examples of those found on the internet for behavioral type interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation room was very limited. No major change in salary or benefits.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Lisle, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Navistar in March 2012.

Interview Details – The HR personnel found me through CareerBuilder, contacted me and set up the interview. First round was phone, 2nd round/final is office visit. Got the offer within 3 or 4 day. Overall, it took me about 2 weeks from the first round until offer notification. First round questions pretty much about work experiences, how it relates to the position. Second round question were some general questions like behavorial, strength/weaknesses, why do you want to work for the company.

Interview Question – Question was pretty much what I expected: behavorial, strength/weaknessed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation wasn't that good. HR personnel only gave 3 days to decide and was very tough in term of negotiation. I didn't like his attitude at all.

Melrose Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted by a group of 3 interviewers, which were all very friendly and made me feel comfortable. They introduced themselves and their role in the company. They then examined my resume and proceeded with Behavioral questions. If you want to interview with them, practice some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What was a moment in your life (school, work, personal, etc) that you failed at something?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Navistar in January 2012.

Interview Details – Had a group interview and they tested behavioral and technical skills.

Interview Question – Tell me about your background?   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineering Interview

Lisle, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Navistar in May 2012.

Interview Details – First was an "interview" by the recruiter but this was more of a conversation than a interview. Asked me simple questions such as what I was interested in and if I would like to Navistar etc. I did not really have a phone interview and instead proceeded to go to a face to face group interview with 3 managers. They were very nice and only asked basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I considered negotiating but the offer was already good, more than I expected.

Product Development Engineer
Lisle, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in April 2011.

Interview Details – Two engineering managers interviewed me individually. This is not even normal for Navistar because I was hired with a group of roughly 200+ engineers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Do not be afraid to ask for a starting bonus and relocation bonus.

Supplier Quality Manager Interview

Lisle, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Navistar in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR . Technical Phone Conference call with Hiring manager. F2F interview with Hiring managers. Waiting for 2 weeks

Interview Question – How you deal with difficult employee   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Warrenville, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first contact was a phone call from HR with a follow-up/confirmation via email.
The actual interview was with the dept manager and director - - 2 on 1. They both brought beverages into the small conference room, did not offer me a beverage nor did they offer to take my coat or a place to hang it up. The mgr said nothing while the director peppered me with questions for almost an hour, giving me no opportunity to ask questions of my own when the mgr declared time was up. Some of the questions were relating to a position I held 25 years ago (when the director was in grammar school). It was either a test of my memory or an exercise in humiliation.
It was made emphatically clear that I was to wait for further contact from HR (read: don't call us, we'll call you).
This is Navistar's m.o.
Four gallons of gas, $6 in tolls and 3 hours of my life wasted on rude people. My theory is if an employer doesn't treat you well as an interviewee when they're trying to woo you, it certainly won't treat you well as an employee.

Interview Question – Neither the mgr nor the director had been with Navistar long enough to be entrenched in the STAR method, so the questions asked were just the usual.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Lisle, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in November 2011.

Interview Details – Had 1 hr long panel interview that consisted of all behavioral type questions. It was a very strict and direct interview, there wrote down all my answers.

I feel like I could have done a better job on answering the questions asked.

Note for future candidates, practice and ace the STAR interview technique. It is essential for Navistar Interviews.

Interview Question – Describe a time when?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Lisle, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in March 2011.

Interview Details – Had a 2 on 1 interview. Was pretty low- key, pretty much a run down of my resume.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself, specific contributions to projects, my typical role in a project, and some examples of leadership.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Navistar