Navistar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Training Manager Interview

Training Manager
Warrenville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Navistar in May 2009.

Interview Details – Behavioral-based interviews. First a phone interview with recruiter/HR then with direct manager.

Interview Question – nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes there was some room to move on salary. Not much else.

Database Administrator Interview

Database Administrator
Warrenville, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Navistar in May 2008.

Interview Details – Apply online, first phone screen with HR, then onsite interview with 6-7 people. Got offer.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions due to the internal staff not knowing much about the position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate but you definitely need to try

Inventory Planning Associate Interview

Inventory Planning Associate
Warrenville, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Navistar in August 2008.

Interview Details – Navistar uses Lominger Core Competencies when interviewing. Research these competencies and be prepared to indicate a specific situation or task that demonstrates that competency, how you handled the situation, and the result of your actions to remedy the situation/problem you're describing.

Interviews are conducted by multiple managers (as few as 3 and as many as 4 in my experience) and questions are asked round robin by the interviewers.

Interview Question – There isn't really a specific question that is difficult or unexpected (especially if you research the Lominger Core Competencies before the interview process) but if the core competency you're being asked about does not really pertain to your career history coming up with a specific example for that core competency can be difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was called by HR with an offer and told an offer letter would be sent along with a drug screening kit and instructions for the drug screening/background check. Upon completion of the drug screening and background check I was called by my new manager to arrange a start date. Orientation lasted most of the first day of employment. I believe orientation sessions are only offered on certain days so if you don't start on one of those days you may not get orientation until your 2nd or 3rd day of employment.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Interview

Finance
Warrenville, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first contact was a phone call from HR with a follow-up/confirmation via email.
The actual interview was with the dept manager and director - - 2 on 1. They both brought beverages into the small conference room, did not offer me a beverage nor did they offer to take my coat or a place to hang it up. The mgr said nothing while the director peppered me with questions for almost an hour, giving me no opportunity to ask questions of my own when the mgr declared time was up. Some of the questions were relating to a position I held 25 years ago (when the director was in grammar school). It was either a test of my memory or an exercise in humiliation.
It was made emphatically clear that I was to wait for further contact from HR (read: don't call us, we'll call you).
This is Navistar's m.o.
Four gallons of gas, $6 in tolls and 3 hours of my life wasted on rude people. My theory is if an employer doesn't treat you well as an interviewee when they're trying to woo you, it certainly won't treat you well as an employee.

Interview Question – Neither the mgr nor the director had been with Navistar long enough to be entrenched in the STAR method, so the questions asked were just the usual.   Answer Question

Sales Internship Interview

Sales Internship
Warrenville, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in January 2011.

Interview Details – 1 Hour with two HR reps asking me alternating questions. All behavioral questions. Left me little time to ask about the position and zero feedback afterwards.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where there was a dysfunctional group dynamic and you overcame the situation   Answer Question

Organizational Change Management Consultant Interview

Organizational Change Management Consultant
Warrenville, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Navistar in December 2010.

Interview Details – This was a contract - temp position. Was interviewed by 3 managers over dinner. Was not a very good interview location since it was in public and very hard to hear everyone at the table. I felt early during the interview that this position was not a good fit for me since the job pertained to a major re-organizational shift in which the company was going to be laying off 1000's of employees and outsourcing their IT and operations groups to a 3rd party supplier and the employees in these 2 groups have already been notified and that there is alot of unrest and anger over managements decision. I was not selected for the position which is probably for the best considering the situation and current organizational climate/culture.

Interview Question – If you requested something from someone and were not getting any response, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navistar interview questions and advice in Warrenville, IL. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Navistar employees and interview candidates.