Navy Federal Credit Union Interview Questions in Pensacola, FL

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.6

Member Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union.

Application Process:
    Over a month after applying I received the first call from a recruiter. Went in the following week for a scheduled test. The test consisted of both basic math and interest rate/principle calculations. In addition, there were a few customer service call simulation scenarios. The test was immediately followed by a personality trait quiz (how do you handle conflict and criticism, are you a leader or a follower, etc). Following the test, I was advised that I passed and was invited back for an interview.

Interview:
    As most interviewers would, they will likely start out the interview with "Tell me about yourself." Have your USP (Unique Selling Proposition) prepared in advance. This would consist of your name, your past relevant job experience, and what you hope to bring to the company. Don't be shy as this would be your main opportunity to set a great first impression and to really sell yourself. Be concise and don't ramble.

Additional Details:
    I didn't hear back for another ~2 months. They typically (based on my discussions with other employees) won't start to make offers until the class is scheduled and they're filling the available training openings. After my third follow-up call in two months, I found out that the interview went smoothly and that I was on the waiting list to 'class-up'.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mostly hypothetical open-ended questions. They have a general category/trait on each page of questions and they check off which question on the page they asked with approximately 4-5 questions on each page (but they only ask you one per page). I'd estimate I was asked 6 of these questions in total. They want detailed answers (from start to finish). General examples: Tell me about a time you had a difficult/irate customer and how did you overcome the situation? Tell me about a time you had a conflict with another employee, how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    There really isn't room for negotiation. They base their offer on your resume. It was definitely lower than what I would like but I wouldn't advise one to pass up an opportunity with NFCU. They are such an amazing company and there is tremendous room for growth. You could be at your desired salary (or more) within 6 months of hire if you dedicate yourself to your work.

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union.

Took an online assessment at the job location. Had a one on one interview with a recruiter. They did pull credit report, but will work with you credit issues if you have any. You just have to show proof prior to starting your employment that you are working on solutions to those issues.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question to me was what are my weaknesses.   Answer Question
    I really didn't try to negotiate. They made me an offer of employment and told me what the position would pay, and I accepted the offer.

Member Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in June 2014.

I applied for a call center job online at their company website, then received a call from an HR rep a couple days later to take an assessment test. I completed and passed the test which consisted of basic math concerning banking types of situations along with choosing the best and worst possible answers to give to customers for hypothetical calls which you may encounter while on the job. I passed the test and was then scheduled for an interview. I was interviewed by one of the call center supervisors which consisted of about four, fairly easy questions along with the supervisor giving information about the company, then you get a chance to ask questions as well. I got the impression it went well. From what I was told, there is an email sent within a couple days if you are turned down. If you are being considered for employment, they run a background and credit check and if you pass their standards then you may be contacted for an offer to be placed in one of their upcoming training classes. The whole process has been a couple weeks. I have not had an offer yet, but no turn down either. It seems like a really good company to work for and the benefits are good.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to diffuse a situation with an irate customer.   Answer Question

Account Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in June 2014.

Computer based testing about the day to day functions at NFCU. Interview process is fairly simply, do most of the talking and sell yourself. Make them know how you would be valued as an employee

Interview Questions
    • The interview and testing process is straight forward.   Answer Question

Making less than current position.

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in June 2014.

About 2 weeks from applying @ NFCU career site was contacted for 1st interview. Questions were not anything overly complicated and I was given a "test" of sorts that helped them identify job knowledge and thought process. The "test" itself wasn't difficult but the stress level was still high given it's unexpected nature. Talked through test results and how/why I came to the conclusions I did; from discussions both manager and myself shared a lot of common beliefs and methodoligies regarding SQA (Software Quality Assurance) so the comfort level increased the longer the interview went. Interview last, in my case anyway, somewhere in the 1.5 hour range which I thought was a good experience to have for the sake of making good first impressions. Two weeks following the first interview I was called in for a second interview to include additional QA manager. The second interview was more abbreviated lasting no more than 15-20 minutes...questions from manager in second interview were fairly standard and additional "testing" was not present. Two days after second interview was contacted and notified that someone else was chosen for the Analyst position. The recruiter I had been working with did contact me once the decision had been made and mentioned that they wanted me for a Tester position that was due to open within the next 2-3 months and was asked if I would be interested. I expressed interest and wanted to be considered for the position but no final decision can be made until more is known about the salary being offered...guess this story is "To Be Continued".

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions or overly difficult processes to understand. Once you understood the terminology used in the test provided (see reference in above review) taking the "test" was not complicated at all. There's no right or wrong answers but you do need to be able to explain the thought process used to arrive at those results.   Answer Question

Member Service Representative I Call Center Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union.

Was called for an assessment almost immediately after applying online, the assessment consisted of going to the NFCU campus and completing simulator-style computer program that simulated different types of clients calling for banking needs, some basic mathematical questions and a personality survey. After passing the assessment I went straight into an interview which was a one on one conversation-style interview with a CCO supervisor. Questions were very basic (though the job isn't a very specialized one) and it was a very relaxing experience, spent more time chatting with the supervisor than we did doing the three interview questions.

Training Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in June 2013.

Applied online. Everything is done through a recruiter at one the main campuses, so there can be a time gap between applying and being contacted. Make sure your resume accurately reflects the job description or it will get weeded out immediately. There was an initial phone interview, then my file was sent to the hiring manager for review. Was contacted for an in-person interview. It was partially in person and partially virtual with other supervisors who weren't able to be there in person. There was a mandatory ten minute presentation on a subject of your choice.

Interview Questions
    • They were very thorough in gauging both my fit in their culture, but also my relevant experience. There were a good bit of behavioral questions as well as my history in the field.   View Answer
    There isn't a lot of room to negotiate, but I did find that their offer was fair and in line with what other companies were offering for similar positions.

Mortgage Loan Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in August 2012.

You are contacted an employer recruiter with Areotek to set up an interview with them and if you pass, you get one with NFCU. It is all smooth and they are very helpful, professional, and understanding.

Interview Questions
    • You must clarify your mortgage experience, even when you touched them.   View Answer
    Aerotek sets your salary until you get hired on by NFCU.

Accounting Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in August 2012.

I submitted my application for several vacancies in the accounting department listed on the company website. I did not hear anything for a couple of weeks, but was able to track down a recruiter's e-mail address from a friend. I e-mailed the recruiter inquiring about the status of the vacancies. I never heard anything back from the recruiter directly, but I did receive a phone call from another recruiter a week or two later asking me to come in for an interview.

The interview itself was done via video conference because management was located in a different city, as the accounting department was new to the location I was interviewing at. The interview panel consisted of 2 managers and 2 supervisors. Rather than the interview being specific for one of the vacancies, it was a general interview to see where I might be a good fit. Most questions were about my background, experiences, and my future goals. There was nothing like the typical "strengths and weaknesses" questions.

I was told I would hear back within a few weeks with their decision. When I didn't hear back, I followed up with the recruiter several times. About 6 weeks after my interview, I received a call offering me one of the open positions. I accepted and started 2 and a half weeks later.

My advice to candidates is to follow up! I think that played a part in me being hired!

Interview Questions
    • Only one off the wall question:

"What is your favorite FASB pronouncement and why?" I wasn't prepared for this one, but it didn't seem to have a negative impact on my interview.

Answer Question
    I accepted the offer that was given to me because it was a good 10-20% higher than I anticipated.

Mortgage Closer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Navy Federal Credit Union in February 2012.

Two interviews - fairly typical questions. Background check (employer, education and credit checks). During "group" interview (2 interviewers), I was asked how I handled stress. They indicated that there was high stress due to the amount of closings. The real reason for the high stress level is due to poor file management (files are frequently given to the closer on the day of closing - when the closer is already working multiple files for closing that day).

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - I was offered the job and felt that the pay and benefits were good, so I accepted.