Nebraska Furniture Mart

Nebraska Furniture Mart Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

Product Specialist II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

This whole process was a freaking joke. My friend referred me to their manager and the manager (we'll call him Bob) told me to wait a week so he could find a position for me to apply for. I waited and after that week he told me he would get a list in a few days... This process went on for a couple more rounds, meanwhile all the jobs were dissapearing. I finally applied for a job that Bob told me to apply for and about half a week later I got an interview. I show up to my interview and wait and wait and no one shows up so I went into the HR room and they said I didn't have an official interview and that there was no job for me. About an hour later I was called back by Bob and told to come back. I did and waited some more until someone came and told me I had to take the online assessment which is geared for people who have had sales jobs prior. I have not so there was no hope for me to pass it.

If you apply for a job that says sales experience strongly preferred you'll have to take the sales assessment and unless you lie on it you can't pass.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Timing of the interview process was unusually far in advance of store opening.They required class attendance well before they knew the store opening date certain. Not applicant friendly for those currently employed.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be available Saturdays and Sunday and nights?   View Answer

Training class requirement was long and appeared to be a time filler prior to the still not certain time frame for the store opening.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in The Colony, TX
    Anonymous Employee in The Colony, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in January 2015.

Submit online application and received email 1 week later to attend the hiring event at the new store location before it open. Had interview with 2 interviewers asked some situations of customer services how would i handle it basic on my past experiences. Got offer PT position on the spot and finished background check and drug screen with 2 days.

Sales Associate- Furniture Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in October 2014.

To begin, I did an assessment that took about 30 minutes. The questions were somewhat tricky, thankfully I had done my research on the best sales techniques so I was able to use that information for the assessment. Hint: The best thing to do in Sales is ask questions. After the assessment I had an interview with 3 people. They were all very friendly and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Questions I was asked:
      -What do you know about the company?
      -Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer
      -Why should we hire you?
      -What do you like about your current job?
      -Why are you looking for a new job?

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation in salary. It is full commission for sales. The other thing we were able to discuss was the hours. It is mandatory to work weekends, both Saturday and Sunday.

Floor Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in September 2014.

It is unfortunately that you still have discrimination going on in 2014. But here goes. I went to two different job fair hiring sessions. I applied to 4 different position of which i am qualified for.. I am a seasoned Sales Manager who was looking to apply and start a new career with NFM. Every person I talk to during the steps was trying to steer me away from applying to be a manager which has a base pay of 43k. They repeatedly recommended me to be a sales person on the floor saying it will pay more. I also was told that there were no more management positions available which was far from the truth. And also was told you have to take this long test to even be considered. My thoughts where lady not sure what African Americans you are used to but this one is not dumb. I past the test by the way. This was to much and it was almost a written rule as if they did not want any African Americans in these positions. Have some documentation and a consultant who is closely watching the situation. Not sure if this just happen to me or if there are several other minority's in management who are not given a shot at being a manager but good enough for the straight commission job. Waiting to get interviews 3 other White applicants where after me where put in front of me during the process to be interviewed. I saw a women pull someone aside and he then came to get me and the interview process was a joke and so unprofessional I mean I could tell the guy was just killing time. Talking about sports other stuff and repeatedly asked questions about bad situations like that were all negative. No questions about the success in my jobs only negative. Again in the middle of the interview he started talking about 100% commission sales position while we were suppose to be interviewing for the management positions. Got the we passe on you and choose a better candidate email again. I hope you all get it fixed quick as if this is the way the company is ran I wonder how many people in Nebraska are going or have been through the same. Awaiting the opening day so we can evaluate the ratio.

Interview Questions
    • You should be a sales guy on the sales floor they make a lot of money. Look at this commission plan   View Answer

Furniture Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

There were two interviews. one with the human resources office and the second with the manager of the department that i applied for. The first was a STAR interview (name a time when...) there were about 15 of those questions. The second inter view with the department manger was a little more about the job and assessing my skills. (they will train you, just show you can learn)

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had an issue with a manager. What did you do?   Answer Question

Furniture Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Hiring and interviewing process was very easy and relaxed.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was not part of the process.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in February 2014.

You first add yourself to the "Talent Network" on the Nebraska Furniture Mart website. It is best to attach your resume. When a job is posted you will be informed of the job posting. Then, you will fill out an application On-line. You will be called by a person in the HR department to be pre-screened. If your experience and education meet the requirements you will be scheduled for an interview by a manager.

The interview process was long but easy. You answer questions about situations from your past. They want to know what you did to contribute to your prior employment.

They have a strong culture and expect it's employees to have strong ethical and moral values.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a work situation where the values and the culture of the organization were a good fit for you. Why?   Answer Question

Product Specialist III-Sony/Clearance Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in January 2014.

Employee referral, quick callback-3-4 days. My initial interview was with someone from HR that was new. She made me feel like I was answering questions incorrectly and pushed for information that was illegal for them to ask (do you have children, how old are you, etc). I addressed this and she brushed it off. She said she'd let me know. I had to do an in-office personality test, then once I'd "passed", I filled out an online Equal Opportunity survey.

HR forgot to call me back, she said she'd call me by Tuesday, and if I didn't hear anything, I'd know I didn't get it. Tuesday came and went. I called and left a message for her. Thursday she called me back to apologize and schedule another interview.

I interviewed this time with the manager of my department and another manager from a department that was similar that was also hiring. They do this to see if you're a better fit for the other department.

My interview was very laid back-my manager was very comfortable and the other manager was making jokes the whole time. That isn't the norm, though-make sure you get a gauge of your manager before you say anything crass. Another manager in the department walked someone out because they slipped and said "crap" in an interview. I said much worse, believe me!

My manager hired me on the spot (this is also not the norm-you'll be told they'll let you know, but they usually only interview one person at a time). They're very strict on the orientation scheduling, so because my background check wouldn't be back by the time the orientation came around, I was scheduled for the following month's orientation. I went two whole months without a job, which was disconcerting.

Interview Questions
    • "What was something that you failed at in your previous job?"-Everybody has something, but not something you want to discuss in an interview! I was quick on my feet and told them about a change I tried to implement but the management rejected it.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in January 2014.

Hiring process was fast and simple.