Nebraska Furniture Mart Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2014
Updated Jun 9, 2014
10 interviews

Furniture Sales Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

There were two interviews. one with the human resources office and the second with the manager of the department that i applied for. The first was a STAR interview (name a time when...) there were about 15 of those questions. The second inter view with the department manger was a little more about the job and assessing my skills. (they will train you, just show you can learn)

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had an issue with a manager. What did you do?   Answer Question

Product Specialist III-Sony/Clearance Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in January 2014.

Employee referral, quick callback-3-4 days. My initial interview was with someone from HR that was new. She made me feel like I was answering questions incorrectly and pushed for information that was illegal for them to ask (do you have children, how old are you, etc). I addressed this and she brushed it off. She said she'd let me know. I had to do an in-office personality test, then once I'd "passed", I filled out an online Equal Opportunity survey.

HR forgot to call me back, she said she'd call me by Tuesday, and if I didn't hear anything, I'd know I didn't get it. Tuesday came and went. I called and left a message for her. Thursday she called me back to apologize and schedule another interview.

I interviewed this time with the manager of my department and another manager from a department that was similar that was also hiring. They do this to see if you're a better fit for the other department.

My interview was very laid back-my manager was very comfortable and the other manager was making jokes the whole time. That isn't the norm, though-make sure you get a gauge of your manager before you say anything crass. Another manager in the department walked someone out because they slipped and said "crap" in an interview. I said much worse, believe me!

My manager hired me on the spot (this is also not the norm-you'll be told they'll let you know, but they usually only interview one person at a time). They're very strict on the orientation scheduling, so because my background check wouldn't be back by the time the orientation came around, I was scheduled for the following month's orientation. I went two whole months without a job, which was disconcerting.

Interview Questions
    • "What was something that you failed at in your previous job?"-Everybody has something, but not something you want to discuss in an interview! I was quick on my feet and told them about a change I tried to implement but the management rejected it.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in February 2014.

You first add yourself to the "Talent Network" on the Nebraska Furniture Mart website. It is best to attach your resume. When a job is posted you will be informed of the job posting. Then, you will fill out an application On-line. You will be called by a person in the HR department to be pre-screened. If your experience and education meet the requirements you will be scheduled for an interview by a manager.

The interview process was long but easy. You answer questions about situations from your past. They want to know what you did to contribute to your prior employment.

They have a strong culture and expect it's employees to have strong ethical and moral values.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a work situation where the values and the culture of the organization were a good fit for you. Why?   Answer Question

Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in January 2014.

Hiring process was fast and simple.

Furniture Sales Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Hiring and interviewing process was very easy and relaxed.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was not part of the process.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in April 2009.

Uses the STAR review system for interviews. Situation, Action and Result. Must use very specific examples in interview. Sales roleplay probable. Looking for dynamic sales interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a manager or co/worker asked you to do something that you didn't think was right and what did you do?   View Answer
    As a new location the offer was negotiable. Once established all offers were entry level type offers.

NFM Concierge Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in June 2013.

Usually someone from inside the store, very rarely do they fill from outside. You are graded on your skill set and training ability. Looking for prior trainers or teachers, Apple certified is a plus. Computer knowledge is obviously a requirement, not looking for coding experience, just advanced every day stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever trained under a time limit before, explain?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in January 2011.

The interview process was pleasant, boiler plate really, butI was given unrealistic expectations, no one is watching older sales people advance. I was led to believe it was a level playing field.

Interview Questions
    It was them telling what they pay, take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Pretty standard except that you interviewed with your direct supervisor and one of their peers. Definitely had a corporate feel as far as the rigorousness of the process. Small companies can check out your resume, see if you are even close to a match, talk to you and decide whether they like you or not. Big companies often screen out good people because they don't match on paper.

Interview Questions
    • You will be presented a sales scenario for a kind of equipment not sold by NFM. You will be given five or ten minutes to sort through the information and then asked to role play selling the equipment to one of the managers.   Answer Question

Human Resources Employment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nebraska Furniture Mart in December 2011.

I had three interviews, two online assessments focused on personality and decision making skills, and a hands-on recruiting/interviewing project to complete.

Interview Questions

Worked for Nebraska Furniture Mart? Contribute to the Community!