Neiman Marcus Assistant Buyer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX).

Interview

On campus recruiting and always lots of candidates. There is a 2 day assessment at HQ with interviews in both an individual and a group setting. A retail math test is required.

Interview Questions

• Group project to test thought process.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Neiman Marcus

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview

They asked very easy and simple questions about my resume, aspirations, and why I wanted to work for Neiman Marcus. Very laid back interview. No tricky questions. The interview was at Texas A&M University with a college recruiter. I did not get a second interview because I had one more semester left and they only wanted graduating seniors for their interviews at that point in time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the fashion industry?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview consisted of two phone interviews and then a two day long interview process in Dallas. The program is run three times a year, June, September and December, so you may apply early and have to wait before you're contacted Applying to the program they have you complete a small, online test about retail math. It basically asks you to calculate sell-through percentages, how many units are on hand, discounting etc. It is timed and I've heard some people find ti difficult but I thought it was really easy and I do not come from a fashion or retail educational background. Basic math is all that is needed. If you get a passing score on the test your application gets reviewed and you may be contacted for an interview. The phone interviews were pretty standard - Why do you want this job, tell me about your background etc. Nothing challenging. The two day interview process consisted of a bus "tour" of Dallas that really just shows you the outside of their fulfillment center and then dinner at which you meet some higher ups at NM like buyers. The second day brings one group project focusing on how you'd design or set up a department to maximize revenue and two interviews. In between there is a lunch with current assistant buyers that you can talk to and learn more about the role. Overall a pretty easy applying experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since it's a pretty competitive environment and there are a lot of applicants the negotiation was almost nonexistent. They tell you the salary and benefits and ask if you'll take them. I was able to get a little increase in salary due to my previous experience.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Interview

Robust interview process consiting of a couple days with a group of 20-30 oth candidates at the corporate office. A few different interviews, some tests, dinner with current employees of various levels. If you are accepted, you go through a 2-3 month training course with other candidates and then interview for multiple current open assistant buyer positions. Generally, most people that go through the training process are placed in an assistant buyer position.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how much money do you have in you wallet right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation at this level.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview

through college recruiting at a career fair

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Questions

• questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   3 Answers

Negotiation

Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations. This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

They give you a ridiculous retail mathematics examination which not enough time is given for.

Interview Questions

• The questions became more complex as they wanted you to compare percentages (which you must calculate) comparing different stocks and item numbers within a certain month or year all within one question! on average, the questions take approx 2-3 minutes to thoroughly calculate yet they expect you to provide the right answer in 30 SECONDS! insane!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

They recruited for the Executive Development Program (EDP) on campus and that was the first part of the process. There is a standard online application with a math skills assessment test at the conclusion which you must pass to continue. The first interviews were conducted locally on campus with the college recruiter, with basic interview and assessment questions. Second round interviews are at the headquarters in Dallas over two days with about 30 other applicants. Day one is more of a meet and greet afternoon/tour of the company. Day two consists of 2-3 formal interviews and a group project/assessment.

Interview Questions

• What concerns do you have in working with store managers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; if you don't take it, the next person will.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

It's definitely a challenging process but it's designed to be that way to recruit the best candidates for the Executive Development Program. During and after the 12 week program, you get placed in Assistant Buyer positions throughout various areas of the company.

Interview Questions

• I can only speak for the interviews that I had but I carried the weight of the interviews. They really wanted you to talk about your experience or knowledge, then they would chime in with questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with the HR Manager and then flew to Dallas to interview with several buyers. Once in Dallas the interviews probably took about 1/2 a day.

Interview Questions

• What types of qualities do you think a buyer needs to have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. I received an offer, requested more and received a counteroffer that I accepted.