Neiman Marcus

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Neiman Marcus

Interview Details – Robust interview process consiting of a couple days with a group of 20-30 oth candidates at the corporate office. A few different interviews, some tests, dinner with current employees of various levels. If you are accepted, you go through a 2-3 month training course with other candidates and then interview for multiple current open assistant buyer positions. Generally, most people that go through the training process are placed in an assistant buyer position.

Interview Question – Do you know how much money do you have in you wallet right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at this level.

Assistant Buyer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – through college recruiting at a career fair

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 5 and 20 years from now?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Question – questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations.

This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2013.

Interview Details – They give you a ridiculous retail mathematics examination which not enough time is given for.

Interview Question – The questions became more complex as they wanted you to compare percentages (which you must calculate) comparing different stocks and item numbers within a certain month or year all within one question! on average, the questions take approx 2-3 minutes to thoroughly calculate yet they expect you to provide the right answer in 30 SECONDS! insane!   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in October 2008.

Interview Details – Easy process, meet with buyer and divisional VP. Not a lot jumping through hoops. Fairly quick about the process, you'll find out quickly if you got the job.

Interview Question – Honestly, they asked the typical interviewing questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. At all.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in February 2008.

Interview Details – Basically was asked if I was willing to relocate to Texas for a year.
Also, my goals in 5 and 10 years.

Interview Question – What are you goals in 10 years?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in April 2011.

Interview Details – It's definitely a challenging process but it's designed to be that way to recruit the best candidates for the Executive Development Program. During and after the 12 week program, you get placed in Assistant Buyer positions throughout various areas of the company.

Interview Question – I can only speak for the interviews that I had but I carried the weight of the interviews. They really wanted you to talk about your experience or knowledge, then they would chime in with questions.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2010.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview with the HR Manager and then flew to Dallas to interview with several buyers.

Once in Dallas the interviews probably took about 1/2 a day.

Interview Question – What types of qualities do you think a buyer needs to have?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. I received an offer, requested more and received a counteroffer that I accepted.

Dallas, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2008.

Interview Details – Neiman Marcus came to my school to recruit for the Executive Development Program. There was an information session about the program and then we had to apply online and take a timed aptitude test. Then there was a one on one interview with the recruiter which asked basic questions about experience and interest in retail. After the interview, they flew me out to Dallas for an interview, which included a city tour of Dallas, dinner with the other interviewees and buyers, an in basket interview session which is a timed test which you later review your answers and reasoning with a NM executive, group projects, and a drug test. Overall, they were very thorough and professional.

Interview Question – Explain the reasoning behing your sales projections for the case you were given.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Neiman Marcus

Interview Details – very intricate, pass a math test to do a 3 day interview process/convention with 200 other applicants only to be in a program that takes 10 years to become a buyer

Interview Question – math questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Neiman Marcus

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neiman Marcus Assistant Buyer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Neiman Marcus employees and interview candidates.