Neiman Marcus

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of two phone interviews and then a two day long interview process in Dallas. The program is run three times a year, June, September and December, so you may apply early and have to wait before you're contacted

Applying to the program they have you complete a small, online test about retail math. It basically asks you to calculate sell-through percentages, how many units are on hand, discounting etc. It is timed and I've heard some people find ti difficult but I thought it was really easy and I do not come from a fashion or retail educational background. Basic math is all that is needed.

If you get a passing score on the test your application gets reviewed and you may be contacted for an interview. The phone interviews were pretty standard - Why do you want this job, tell me about your background etc. Nothing challenging.

The two day interview process consisted of a bus "tour" of Dallas that really just shows you the outside of their fulfillment center and then dinner at which you meet some higher ups at NM like buyers. The second day brings one group project focusing on how you'd design or set up a department to maximize revenue and two interviews. In between there is a lunch with current assistant buyers that you can talk to and learn more about the role.

Overall a pretty easy applying experience.

Interview Question – All very basic questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it's a pretty competitive environment and there are a lot of applicants the negotiation was almost nonexistent. They tell you the salary and benefits and ask if you'll take them. I was able to get a little increase in salary due to my previous experience.

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty good. Once the recruiter passed me onto the internal people, I think I had to wait 48 hours before I did a phone screen with HR, followed up with a phone screen with the hiring manager and a follow up with the department head. The 2 phone calls with manager and department head were technical and thought provoking to see how i thought and figured out problems; I'd call it standard as far as the questions asked nothing too hard or difficult to answer or work thru.

Interview Question – How to determine the size of a heel from pictures using computer analysis?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – You talk to the HR person. After that you meet with the Director. Then you meet with 2 to 3 VPs. It was important to know someone there. People are very respectful. The interview was very conversational. They did not do a group or panel interview. Once the offer was extended, there was a drug test. Then you joined the company and had an orientation class a few weeks into joining the company. There was also a skills test that was used

Interview Question – They asked about your biggest challenge and what you would do to overcome it. They also asked if there were any weaknesses.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Vice President DMM Gift Galleries Interview

Vice President DMM Gift Galleries
Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – I had worked for Neiman Marcus prior for 10 years so was very well known there.

Interview Question – I don't recall any difficult or unexoested questions.   View Answer

Corporate Summer Internship Interview

Corporate Summer Internship
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in January 2014.

Interview Details – online application, personality / skills test, first interview, essay, interview with a business unit

Interview Question – What are you most proud of? When is a time your priorities changed and how did you deal with it?   View Answer

EDP Program Interview

EDP Program
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2013.

Interview Details – There were two steps in the interview process. The first was an initial interview with the college recruiter on campus. The second round was on site, at the corporate HQ in Dallas. The on-site round consisted of multiple individual interviews and a group project exercise over the course of two days.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had an innovative idea and how did you implement it? Was it successfull? If so, how?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Question – questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations.

This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Executive Development Program Interview

Executive Development Program
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in April 2013.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview with HR, then had to take an online math and personality test. After the online test, I was invited to participate in a two-day assessment in Dallas.

The first day of the assessment included a tour of Dallas, a tour of the offices, and a dinner with some of the executives. The second day included two back-to-back interviews with staff and a group project.

The assessment taught me so much about how excellent the company is; I really gained a lot of respect for Neiman throughout the process. Also, the interview process itself was very put-together and well-organized.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you didn't get along with your supervisor. How did you go about fixing the relationship with him or her while still managing to do your job well?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Everyone I interviewed with ate, breathed, and slept fashion. Most of them had been wanting this job since they began high school--that just wasn't me. I didn't have the kind of fashion knowledge that I felt I needed to be truly comfortable with this position.

Assistant Site Merchandiser Interview

Assistant Site Merchandiser
Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by HR about the position because they had received my resume. Once I had a phone interview with the HR representative, I had an in person interview with the site merchandiser that lasted about 30 minutes. The next day, I had an interview with the site group manager that also lasted around 30 minutes. I was hired two days later. Both were very basic interviews asking about my past experience and skills and why I wanted the job.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were very obvious interview questions you could prepare for before. What could have been a difficult question was my thoughts on the website but I had looked at the site beforehand.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, was contacted two or three weeks later for an initial phone screen with HR. Followed by a second interview with VP two days later. Was told the would be finishing up other interviews, but given good feedback that I was one of the top candidates. Two weeks later, had two back to back interviews, which were pretty basic questions about my background and the company's background.

Interview Question – None, all very standard.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neiman Marcus interview questions and advice in Dallas, TX. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Neiman Marcus employees and interview candidates.