Neiman Marcus Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Questions

• questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   3 Answers

Negotiation

Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations.

This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in August 2013.

Interview

I applied online for a position in cosmetics. Was contacted shortly after and set up an interview with the department manager. I went in for my interview that took about an hour. Very friendly and professional overall. I was informed that they would run a background check and that I would be contact by HR to set up a 2nd interview that would be followed by a drug screening. It took about a week for them to get back to me. I was tentatively job offered on the phone and was told that it was pending a negative drug test that I had to complete at an auto generated location within 24 hours. After about 3 days I got a call that everything had cleared and I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations.

EDP Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

There were two steps in the interview process. The first was an initial interview with the college recruiter on campus. The second round was on site, at the corporate HQ in Dallas. The on-site round consisted of multiple individual interviews and a group project exercise over the course of two days.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had an innovative idea and how did you implement it? Was it successfull? If so, how?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

They give you a ridiculous retail mathematics examination which not enough time is given for.

Interview Questions

• The questions became more complex as they wanted you to compare percentages (which you must calculate) comparing different stocks and item numbers within a certain month or year all within one question! on average, the questions take approx 2-3 minutes to thoroughly calculate yet they expect you to provide the right answer in 30 SECONDS! insane!   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in June 2008.

Interview

You have to complete the online profile and pass the math test before they will talk to you. Then, I had a one on one interview with HR on campus. Next, they flew me to Dallas for "assesment". This consist of a group interview, one on one interview and a test called an "in basket".

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non negociable. take it of they will offer it to someone else.

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2010.

Interview

Questions include:

Strengths and Weaknesses

Problem situation scenarios for which you must provide a solution; dealing with confrontation, etc.

How has your experience gotten you to this point in your career?

Rank your organizational, communications, analytical, and creativity in order of strongest to weakest personal skills

Most difficult question ever asked in an interview?

Interview Questions

• Suppose you are member 1 of a group. You are assigned part 1 of the project while member 2 is responsible for part 2. But when it comes time to turn in your project part 2 is incomplete and member 2 tells your boss that you (member 1) were responsible for doing part 2, essentially saying that you did not do your work. How do you handle that? (Answer)
      And then, how would you repair the relationship between you and member 2 considering that this person is someone you will be working with extensively in the future? (Answer)

1 Answer

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

I was hired through the college recruiting program, immediately starting in the Executive Development Program. There is a 1 on 1 interview as well as a 2 day "Assessment" in Dallas, which consists of more interviews, a dinner, and a group project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

It's definitely a challenging process but it's designed to be that way to recruit the best candidates for the Executive Development Program. During and after the 12 week program, you get placed in Assistant Buyer positions throughout various areas of the company.

Interview Questions

• I can only speak for the interviews that I had but I carried the weight of the interviews. They really wanted you to talk about your experience or knowledge, then they would chime in with questions.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2012.

Interview

The process is tedious but well worth it. I first submitted an open app on the website. Ultimately, I was hired after interview and negotiation process took just over 3 weeks. It consisted of 8 interviews between the company and and the brand I represent…Area Dir. of brand (2), Acct. Exec of brand (1), Merchandise Manager (1), Dept. Mgr (1), and HR (3).
    Of course you encounter the same attitudes in any beauty department but over all this has to be one of the most pleasant experiences I have had.

Interview Questions

• If you were given $1,000,000 but could not give it to a non-profit or use it on yourself, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Initial offer was low but that is the nature of most HR Reps. I was fortunate to be in a position to know the salary range from an insider. It took an additional 8 days but I was finally able to talk them up from $24 to $28 per hour.

Corporate Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

online application, personality / skills test, first interview, essay, interview with a business unit

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of? When is a time your priorities changed and how did you deal with it?   1 Answer