Neiman Marcus Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Questions

• questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   3 Answers

Negotiation

Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations. This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus in January 2014.

Interview

I applied through corporate website. The whole process is you need to take a math test, phone interview, short essay, and skype interview. The recruit person was very nice and helpful. However, the process was long and difficult. Also, quite competitive.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through my university, and then I took an online personality and retail test. After that, I had a phone interview, but it wasn't at all the interview that I prepared for. The questions were vague, and the interview lasted only about 5 minutes. I did not go onto the next round, but it would have been an essay followed by an in person interview.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2012.

Interview

The process is tedious but well worth it. I first submitted an open app on the website. Ultimately, I was hired after interview and negotiation process took just over 3 weeks. It consisted of 8 interviews between the company and and the brand I represent…Area Dir. of brand (2), Acct. Exec of brand (1), Merchandise Manager (1), Dept. Mgr (1), and HR (3). Of course you encounter the same attitudes in any beauty department but over all this has to be one of the most pleasant experiences I have had.

Interview Questions

• If you were given $1,000,000 but could not give it to a non-profit or use it on yourself, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Initial offer was low but that is the nature of most HR Reps. I was fortunate to be in a position to know the salary range from an insider. It took an additional 8 days but I was finally able to talk them up from $24 to $28 per hour.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus in June 2008.

Interview

You have to complete the online profile and pass the math test before they will talk to you. Then, I had a one on one interview with HR on campus. Next, they flew me to Dallas for "assesment". This consist of a group interview, one on one interview and a test called an "in basket".

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non negociable. take it of they will offer it to someone else.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2010.

Interview

Questions include: Strengths and Weaknesses Problem situation scenarios for which you must provide a solution; dealing with confrontation, etc. How has your experience gotten you to this point in your career? Rank your organizational, communications, analytical, and creativity in order of strongest to weakest personal skills Most difficult question ever asked in an interview?

Interview Questions

• Suppose you are member 1 of a group. You are assigned part 1 of the project while member 2 is responsible for part 2. But when it comes time to turn in your project part 2 is incomplete and member 2 tells your boss that you (member 1) were responsible for doing part 2, essentially saying that you did not do your work. How do you handle that? (Answer) And then, how would you repair the relationship between you and member 2 considering that this person is someone you will be working with extensively in the future? (Answer)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

It's definitely a challenging process but it's designed to be that way to recruit the best candidates for the Executive Development Program. During and after the 12 week program, you get placed in Assistant Buyer positions throughout various areas of the company.

Interview Questions

• I can only speak for the interviews that I had but I carried the weight of the interviews. They really wanted you to talk about your experience or knowledge, then they would chime in with questions.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

I was hired through the college recruiting program, immediately starting in the Executive Development Program. There is a 1 on 1 interview as well as a 2 day "Assessment" in Dallas, which consists of more interviews, a dinner, and a group project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

They give you a ridiculous retail mathematics examination which not enough time is given for.

Interview Questions

• The questions became more complex as they wanted you to compare percentages (which you must calculate) comparing different stocks and item numbers within a certain month or year all within one question! on average, the questions take approx 2-3 minutes to thoroughly calculate yet they expect you to provide the right answer in 30 SECONDS! insane!   1 Answer

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Neiman Marcus (Short Hills, NJ).

Interview

Very professional HR staff that keep close communication with the applicants throughout the whole entire process. It has been a pleasure and honour to work for this company. I highly recommend this company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered me more money than I originally asked for.