Neiman Marcus

Getting the Interview

90 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Question – questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations.

This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Assistant Buyer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in June 2008.

Interview Details – You have to complete the online profile and pass the math test before they will talk to you. Then, I had a one on one interview with HR on campus. Next, they flew me to Dallas for "assesment". This consist of a group interview, one on one interview and a test called an "in basket".

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – non negociable. take it of they will offer it to someone else.

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2010.

Interview Details – Questions include:

Strengths and Weaknesses

Problem situation scenarios for which you must provide a solution; dealing with confrontation, etc.

How has your experience gotten you to this point in your career?

Rank your organizational, communications, analytical, and creativity in order of strongest to weakest personal skills

Most difficult question ever asked in an interview?

Interview Question – Suppose you are member 1 of a group. You are assigned part 1 of the project while member 2 is responsible for part 2. But when it comes time to turn in your project part 2 is incomplete and member 2 tells your boss that you (member 1) were responsible for doing part 2, essentially saying that you did not do your work. How do you handle that? (Answer)
And then, how would you repair the relationship between you and member 2 considering that this person is someone you will be working with extensively in the future? (Answer)
  View Answer

Department Manager Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – Many interviews to get the job, most of the HR people were professional, little room for negotiation. The time frame did not take too long but others have told me they had to call them two or three times. They are mostly looking for presentation and an understanding of the luxury client.

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was minimal, they have standard ranges they won't deviate from.

Product Specialist Interview

Product Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for a position in cosmetics. Was contacted shortly after and set up an interview with the department manager. I went in for my interview that took about an hour. Very friendly and professional overall. I was informed that they would run a background check and that I would be contact by HR to set up a 2nd interview that would be followed by a drug screening. It took about a week for them to get back to me. I was tentatively job offered on the phone and was told that it was pending a negative drug test that I had to complete at an auto generated location within 24 hours. After about 3 days I got a call that everything had cleared and I got the job.

Interview Question – Basic retail questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations.

Business Analyst Interview

Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a telephone interview about 2 weeks after submitting my application on-line through Indeed.com. After the telephone interview I was asked to come into the office for a second interview. While there in the office (after interviewing with the second in command) I had a telephone interview with the actual hiring manager. I was then asked - with no notice - to come in and meet the hiring manager in person.

Interview Question – The hiring manager was experiencing a real life issue and kept asking me how I would advise her to handle it. Although I gave her my answer, she asked again during our second meeting and then kept at me about it.   Answer Question

Corporate Summer Internship Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in January 2014.

Interview Details – online application, personality / skills test, first interview, essay, interview with a business unit

Interview Question – What are you most proud of? When is a time your priorities changed and how did you deal with it?   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2013.

Interview Details – They give you a ridiculous retail mathematics examination which not enough time is given for.

Interview Question – The questions became more complex as they wanted you to compare percentages (which you must calculate) comparing different stocks and item numbers within a certain month or year all within one question! on average, the questions take approx 2-3 minutes to thoroughly calculate yet they expect you to provide the right answer in 30 SECONDS! insane!   View Answer

EDP Program Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2013.

Interview Details – There were two steps in the interview process. The first was an initial interview with the college recruiter on campus. The second round was on site, at the corporate HQ in Dallas. The on-site round consisted of multiple individual interviews and a group project exercise over the course of two days.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had an innovative idea and how did you implement it? Was it successfull? If so, how?   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Product Specialist

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process is tedious but well worth it. I first submitted an open app on the website. Ultimately, I was hired after interview and negotiation process took just over 3 weeks. It consisted of 8 interviews between the company and and the brand I represent…Area Dir. of brand (2), Acct. Exec of brand (1), Merchandise Manager (1), Dept. Mgr (1), and HR (3).
Of course you encounter the same attitudes in any beauty department but over all this has to be one of the most pleasant experiences I have had.

Interview Question – If you were given $1,000,000 but could not give it to a non-profit or use it on yourself, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Initial offer was low but that is the nature of most HR Reps. I was fortunate to be in a position to know the salary range from an insider. It took an additional 8 days but I was finally able to talk them up from $24 to $28 per hour.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Neiman Marcus

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neiman Marcus interview questions and advice. All 90 interview reviews posted anonymously by Neiman Marcus employees and interview candidates.