Neiman Marcus

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.6

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in September 2014.

Called immediately interviewed the next day. Nice people, good interview but false pretensions about job. Tried to make a sales associate position sound a lot nicer then it is.

Interview Questions

Not for me and pay was commission.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied to this position online and later that same day got a missed call from them. They did not leave a message, but when I called the number back and found out it was Neiman Marcus I asked to leave a message for H.R. I did not hear back, but since I am very persistent I called back a week later and left another message for H.R. This time she called me back and set up an interview with the Customer Service Manager. The interview went really well, but she said that she would need me to meet with H.R and her direct boss in Loss Profit and they were both unavailable that day. They could not get together to interview me for another week and a half. The interview with the Loss Profit manager and H.R both went very well also. H.R said she would be in touch with me the following week by Thursday. No call on Thursday. I called on Friday, and was offered the position "unofficially" since there is a background, credit and drug test to pass first. I made it aware multiple times throughout the interview process that I had some prior collection accounts on the credit report, but I had documentation to prove that they were settled and paid. A week after I was offered the position, I called HR to see if she had a status on the background and credit check as she said it would take 5 days. No call back. I was out of town that weekend, and when I returned home there was a letter in the mail from the company who completes the credit check. It stated that I had failed. The date on it proved that they had completed this days before I called and left the last message to H.R. I understand the need to check employees credit, but the fact that I wasn't able to prove that I had cleaned up my credit, or that anyone even bothered to call me to tell me I failed, makes me upset. I wasted 4 weeks pursuing this job. I wouldn't suggest applying to Neiman Marcus unless you have perfect credit.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were very easy and laid back. There were some of the typical questions, but mostly it was just a conversation between two people. Very comfortable.   Answer Question

Work At Home Customer Service Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

I saw the listing on Career Builder and decided to submit my resume. After about a day or less I received an email instructing me to fill out the official Neiman Marcus application and to check my computer system for compatibility. A couple of days late I completed a phone interview.

My information was submitted for background and credit check.

I received a call directly from Neiman Marcus HR offering me the position, contingent upon clean drug test.

I accepted and had my drug test done.

I began training the following week.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Very professional HR staff that keep close communication with the applicants throughout the whole entire process. It has been a pleasure and honour to work for this company. I highly recommend this company.

Interview Questions
    They offered me more money than I originally asked for.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

The interview consisted of two phone interviews and then a two day long interview process in Dallas. The program is run three times a year, June, September and December, so you may apply early and have to wait before you're contacted

Applying to the program they have you complete a small, online test about retail math. It basically asks you to calculate sell-through percentages, how many units are on hand, discounting etc. It is timed and I've heard some people find ti difficult but I thought it was really easy and I do not come from a fashion or retail educational background. Basic math is all that is needed.

If you get a passing score on the test your application gets reviewed and you may be contacted for an interview. The phone interviews were pretty standard - Why do you want this job, tell me about your background etc. Nothing challenging.

The two day interview process consisted of a bus "tour" of Dallas that really just shows you the outside of their fulfillment center and then dinner at which you meet some higher ups at NM like buyers. The second day brings one group project focusing on how you'd design or set up a department to maximize revenue and two interviews. In between there is a lunch with current assistant buyers that you can talk to and learn more about the role.

Overall a pretty easy applying experience.

Interview Questions
    Since it's a pretty competitive environment and there are a lot of applicants the negotiation was almost nonexistent. They tell you the salary and benefits and ask if you'll take them. I was able to get a little increase in salary due to my previous experience.

Visual Trimer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

I was sought after and 2 interviews later I was given the job

Interview Questions
    I negotiated more then they were offering

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Many interviews to get the job, most of the HR people were professional, little room for negotiation. The time frame did not take too long but others have told me they had to call them two or three times. They are mostly looking for presentation and an understanding of the luxury client.

Negotiation was minimal, they have standard ranges they won't deviate from.

Customer Care- Work From Home Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in April 2014.

Process was fairly quick. Received an email after I applied; I was then invited to a job fair. After the job fair they did a back ground check, credit check and then I took a drug test. After everything was clear they sent an offer letter. The HR office was very nice and they worked with my availability for the position. I was very impressed with their professionalism.

Interview Questions
    • Over all the questions are very customer service oriented (behavioral).
      Question regarding integrity, how resourceful are you at handling IT issues, why should they choose you, how do you handle unhappy customers etc.

Answer Question
    Non negotiable

Assistant Buyer Interview

Robust interview process consiting of a couple days with a group of 20-30 oth candidates at the corporate office. A few different interviews, some tests, dinner with current employees of various levels. If you are accepted, you go through a 2-3 month training course with other candidates and then interview for multiple current open assistant buyer positions. Generally, most people that go through the training process are placed in an assistant buyer position.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know how much money do you have in you wallet right now?   Answer Question
    No negotiation at this level.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

You talk to the HR person. After that you meet with the Director. Then you meet with 2 to 3 VPs. It was important to know someone there. People are very respectful. The interview was very conversational. They did not do a group or panel interview. Once the offer was extended, there was a drug test. Then you joined the company and had an orientation class a few weeks into joining the company. There was also a skills test that was used

Interview Questions
    • They asked about your biggest challenge and what you would do to overcome it. They also asked if there were any weaknesses.   View Answer