Neiman Marcus

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.6

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

through college recruiting at a career fair

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

I applied online and was called less than a week later. At this time I was asked several questions over the phone about my experience. I was then invited for an in person interview, which actually consisted of 3 interviews (one with the assistant HR manager, one with HR manager, and finally an interview with the department manager). I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were terribly hard. Mostly what would you do in so and so situation and personality type questions. They know lots of issues come up with commission environments and want to know how you would handle situations where say your co-worker takes your sale.   View Answer
    All associates are on draw vs. commission, so there isn't much to negotiate. Each department you sell from has it's own percentage that you will receive from that sale (cosmetics 9%, jewelry 7.5%, shoes 9%, etc).

Human Resources Coordinator - Central Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Neiman Marcus in October 2013.

I found the position through a job posting site and applied online. I received a call for an interview 3 days later. The interview was held the next week. I guess I had applied toward the end of the opening (apparently it had been opened for a month).
    I had a one on one interview with the Central HR manager for about an hour.
    Questions asked were:
    1. What was it like to work in --- ?
    2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    3. What type of manager would you want?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in October 2013.

Applied Online, got a call back a few days later. Had a one on one interview with the HR department. He was a bit in a hurry right when i got there so that made me even more nervous. He asked me about 3 simple questions and asked if i had any questions for him, so i asked about the company. He then asked me my availability which was Full time. He then again asked me if i had any other questions for him. I did asked him a final question, he answered then AGAIN asked if i had any other questions for him.. Wait? i thought I was being interviewed! After i said no, he answered all my concerns he then stood up and said "Alright thank you." I was very very shocked. Grabbed my stuff and told him to have a great day. Even if i got i call back, i think i would have declined considering how i was treated.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

This position requires you interview and be accepted into the company's executive training program. This initially starts by applying online or by college recruitment. The process generally take 2-3 interviews, a retail math test, group project presentation and recommendations.

Interview Questions
    • questions on critical thinking and problem solving are asked to asses how you can handle multiple tasks and work load stress   View Answers (3)
    Generally it's a base salary unless your coming in with buying or planning experience. So little to no negotiations.

This is a highly competitive program to get into and the more fashion/retail experience and qualifications the better. Over 200 people apply weekly and there are only 3 classes a year with on average 20-35 trainees accepted in each class.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Unprofessional interview. I was disappointed for such a big company, especially Neiman Marcus. I expected a class act and their interview process was not good. They called me over the phone and scheduled an interview. I drove an hour to get to the interview and then they called me just 20 minutes before my scheduled interview time and said they had to reschedule. I was sitting in the parking lot, well dressed and well prepared, waiting to go in when they called so I was already frustrated with them. We rescheduled for a couple of days later. When I finally got to the interview, the woman who interviewed me was constantly excusing herself and at one point asked me to wait in the lobby. I think in half an hour we started and stopped the interview at least three or four times. She hardly asked me much of anything, and she seemed like she just wanted to wrap it up and get out of there. At this point I just was not impressed and was not interested in working there.

Interview Questions
    • I really don't think there were any difficult questions at all. I expected the interview to be more in depth. I also was not able to ask the questions I wanted answered because she was in a hurry to wrap it up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in September 2013.

It was very good. Very enthusiastic and positive. Was an extremely positive process. I interviewed with a lady first who asked me general questions on my experience and she gave me a few scenarios regarding retail and customer service, then I had an immediate 2nd interview with the HR manager who talked with me for about 40 minutes. Mainly an engaging conversation on general

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in August 2013.

I applied online for a position in cosmetics. Was contacted shortly after and set up an interview with the department manager. I went in for my interview that took about an hour. Very friendly and professional overall. I was informed that they would run a background check and that I would be contact by HR to set up a 2nd interview that would be followed by a drug screening. It took about a week for them to get back to me. I was tentatively job offered on the phone and was told that it was pending a negative drug test that I had to complete at an auto generated location within 24 hours. After about 3 days I got a call that everything had cleared and I got the job.

no negotiations.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Neiman Marcus in August 2013.

After spending hours filling out the application on-line ( I was literally booted off 5 times after completing the entire application and had to start over each time!) I was called a few days later to set up an interview by phone. interviewer called 10 minutes past arranged time, but he was pleasant. I was asked quite a few questions and at the end was told that the interview went well and he was going to go ahead with a background and credit check.

I asked the interviewer if he had read my cover letter, which included the fact that my credit was marred due to an illness (and associated costs) a few years ago. He admitted that he had not and said that if it was up to him he would hire me right away, but that a credit and background check had to be done according to company policy. He said if I didn't pass their criteria regarding the credit check (over a certain amount of unpaid debt, I forget how much) then I would receive a letter in the mail. I told him to go ahead with it, despite my reservations.

A few days later I checked on their website and saw that I had "failed their background screening". Considering I do not have a criminal history, I am assuming this meant their credit check. By law, employers have to notify a job applicant if credit was the reason for their not being considered for a job...but so far no letter in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a customer was upset about something and you went above and beyond to help them.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Pretty simple interview. I interviewed with the LP Manager and assistant HR manager. I was called back for a second interview and spoke with the HR Manager and General Manager. They never responded in the time frame they told me and left me waiting in the lobby for a half hour after our scheduled interview time. From time of first interview to hearing back after second interview took about a month. All in all not a real professional experience.