Neiman Marcus

Relevance Date Difficulty

Loss Prevention Interview

Loss Prevention
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – Pretty simple interview. I interviewed with the LP Manager and assistant HR manager. I was called back for a second interview and spoke with the HR Manager and General Manager. They never responded in the time frame they told me and left me waiting in the lobby for a half hour after our scheduled interview time. From time of first interview to hearing back after second interview took about a month. All in all not a real professional experience.

Interview Question – Is this your dream job?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in August 2010.

Interview Details – Once you get through the way-out-of-date online application, you'll hopefully hear from HR. You'll have a mini interview w HR and, then, the dept manager will interview you. Usually you will have a second interview if they are interested. Talk about how you will treat it as your own business and how much you love building trusting realtionships & being goal-oriented.
 You do not have to have sales experience. There were multiple sales associates that did not get have experience & did well.

Interview Question – All questions are typical interview questions. Tell me about a time...How do you think you can build a great clientbase? There are a lot of sales people that have been here a long time...how will you compete? Btw it is 100% commision, so be ready. Tell them follow-up emails, sending text-pics of outfits, looking at their deptartmental spending to see where you can sell them more (Ex) they are buying in designer jewlery too, so try to suggest a nice necklace.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. It's 100% commission. You can make a lot of money, but if you don't reach your goals they let you go after a season or two. It doesn't matter how long you have been there. 20 years... doesn't matter. Unless, you are in the top sellers group (over $700K/year). Then, you are exempt from being let go due to goals. However, they are under extreme pressure to keep their numbers up over last year.

A lot of it depends on if it's a new or old store. If it's a new store, then there are a lot more customers that are not already commited to a sales associate. Also, if you are in a market where there are a lot of international customers that is great, especially if you speak Spanish.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in April 2013.

Interview Details – I did not have any sales experience, but anyway they called me. The interview went fine. They should not have wasted my time; even though, they knew I did not have retail (specially high end) experience... I felt like I was just a number to fill in to look like HR doing their job.

Interview Question – basic questions like what your previous employers would say about you. How would you approach an upset customer? whos your favorite designer? Why neiman marcus? Whats your career goal? Any questions from me? It lasted about 30 mins.   Answer Question

Optimum Support Interview

Optimum Support
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in June 2009.

Interview Details – Met with my manager, human resource manager. Had to take a drug test. Every one was very nice during the interview process. It was a very basic interview

Interview Question – There was nothing unexpected during this interview. I was prepared, and got the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was no negotiation.

Customer Care Associate Interview

Customer Care Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – I was called asked if I would be interested. My background check was done. Then I was told to take drug test. About an hour later accepted the job. Started 3 days later.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2013.

Interview Details – They give you a ridiculous retail mathematics examination which not enough time is given for.

Interview Question – The questions became more complex as they wanted you to compare percentages (which you must calculate) comparing different stocks and item numbers within a certain month or year all within one question! on average, the questions take approx 2-3 minutes to thoroughly calculate yet they expect you to provide the right answer in 30 SECONDS! insane!   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – Interviews with hr assistant and hr. Then called back to meet with department managers.
Questions were simple testing product knowledge and importance of sales and hitting goals.
Proof our past accomplishment should help land the job

Interview Question – Asked about clients I couldn't remember   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated more. They will give you a high bar pay.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for a different position. They did not respond after 3 weeks so I decided to check my application by going in their office. Hiring manager came and asked me about my application. She then went back in her office again while asking me to wait at the waiting area. I heard her printing papers so I guess it's the only time she checked my application and printed my resume. Took a while for her to come back out. She then explained that they aren't really hiring for the position I applied for yet and that the only positions available are for Sales Associates. I really don't understand the logic behind her posting a position as open but isn't really hiring. They didn't really posted that they are hiring for sales associates and yet she was asking me if I'm interested in that.

She interviewed me a bit (while we were at the waiting area) and asked about my experience. I was interviewed with the department manager next. When the interview went well, I got interviewed by an HR coordinator next who offered me the job. I guess they really need a sales associate at the moment to hire me on-the-spot.

Interview Question – Questions are basic job interview questions. There were some situational questions about how to handle difficult customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it's more like take it or leave it.

Sample Coordinator Interview

Sample Coordinator
Irving, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview Details – Phone screen, followed by two 1:1 interviews with members of the team

Interview Question – Most of the questions were standard. They don't ask anything unexpected. Mostly questions about your background and how your prior experiences can contribute to the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Manager of Analytics Interview

Manager of Analytics
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewer did not call at scheduled time.

Neither the interviewer, nor anyone else at the company, called to apologize.

My recruiter was extremely embarrassed and not surprised that I withdrew from the interview process.

I hope Glassdoor publicizes cases like this, they tell you a lot about company culture. Actions like this can be expected in employment as well as afterwards.