Neiman Marcus Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (McLean, VA) in December 2009.

Interview

Got a call, came in, interviewed with five people, then a credit, criminal, and drug tests are performed

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Other Interview Reviews for Neiman Marcus

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Charlotte, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

Applied for position in October. Received a phone call and email from HR. Interviewed with Hiring Manager one week after applying. Two days later met with HR. Each Interview lasted one hour. Loved the people I met with and hope to be selected. Energetic company. Loved It.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get into retail sales?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus in March 2012.

Interview

I found the interview process to be very thorough and informative. Both the HR assistant and the department manager for the position available provided great information and feedback about the company, the job responsibilities, and the job attributes. They were also extremely wonderful about communication and availability for questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe your most difficult situation with a customer, and how you dealt with that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online for a sales associate position in cosmetics. I currently work as a freelance makeup artist and also worked in retail sales previously. About 4 days after I submitted my online application, which consisted of a skills test and personality test I received a call to come in for an interview. Two days later I met with two of the hiring managers. I expected to have to answer the typical interview questions about my strengths and weaknesses but that was not the case. They were more interested in my previous experience and what my future career goals are. They are making a decision sometime next week, so I will update my review then.

Interview Questions

• Why Neiman Marcus?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you instead of someone else?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Interview

Unprofessional interview. I was disappointed for such a big company, especially Neiman Marcus. I expected a class act and their interview process was not good. They called me over the phone and scheduled an interview. I drove an hour to get to the interview and then they called me just 20 minutes before my scheduled interview time and said they had to reschedule. I was sitting in the parking lot, well dressed and well prepared, waiting to go in when they called so I was already frustrated with them. We rescheduled for a couple of days later. When I finally got to the interview, the woman who interviewed me was constantly excusing herself and at one point asked me to wait in the lobby. I think in half an hour we started and stopped the interview at least three or four times. She hardly asked me much of anything, and she seemed like she just wanted to wrap it up and get out of there. At this point I just was not impressed and was not interested in working there.

Interview Questions

• I really don't think there were any difficult questions at all. I expected the interview to be more in depth. I also was not able to ask the questions I wanted answered because she was in a hurry to wrap it up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Neiman Marcus (McLean, VA).

Interview

I applied online and was called less than a week later. At this time I was asked several questions over the phone about my experience. I was then invited for an in person interview, which actually consisted of 3 interviews (one with the assistant HR manager, one with HR manager, and finally an interview with the department manager). I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were terribly hard. Mostly what would you do in so and so situation and personality type questions. They know lots of issues come up with commission environments and want to know how you would handle situations where say your co-worker takes your sale.   1 Answer

Negotiation

All associates are on draw vs. commission, so there isn't much to negotiate. Each department you sell from has it's own percentage that you will receive from that sale (cosmetics 9%, jewelry 7.5%, shoes 9%, etc).

Anonymous Employee in Walnut, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Walnut, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied Online, got a call back a few days later. Had a one on one interview with the HR department. He was a bit in a hurry right when i got there so that made me even more nervous. He asked me about 3 simple questions and asked if i had any questions for him, so i asked about the company. He then asked me my availability which was Full time. He then again asked me if i had any other questions for him. I did asked him a final question, he answered then AGAIN asked if i had any other questions for him.. Wait? i thought I was being interviewed! After i said no, he answered all my concerns he then stood up and said "Alright thank you." I was very very shocked. Grabbed my stuff and told him to have a great day. Even if i got i call back, i think i would have declined considering how i was treated.

Interview Questions

• If i had any questions for HIM.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

It was very good. Very enthusiastic and positive. Was an extremely positive process. I interviewed with a lady first who asked me general questions on my experience and she gave me a few scenarios regarding retail and customer service, then I had an immediate 2nd interview with the HR manager who talked with me for about 40 minutes. Mainly an engaging conversation on general

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (King of Prussia, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

great aptitude test, great personalized one on one training

Interview Questions

• I was okay just be yourself and be engaged when speaking and listening   Answer Question

Negotiation

what they offered versus what I wanted and what I was able to perform at that time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Neiman Marcus (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied in person and received a call for an inperson interview with hr director and department manager shortly after. Simple retail oriented interview quetions. There was no room for negotiation as the position is commission based salary

Interview Questions

• What would you do if customer wanted an item we did not have?   1 Answer