Nektar Therapeutics

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.9

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics.

Good process, and very thorough; but took way too long to finally get an offer and start date.

Rigid, inflexible

Biochemist ( Senior Process Development Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in April 2014.

I came to know about this position via a recruiter. There was initial phone interview with hiring manager. Was invited to the onsite after 2 weeks. Had 1:1 interview along with panel presentation. The interviews were all day long process. The onsite interview was followed by telephonic interview with upper management. Got the offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    They offered on the lower end of their scale. We met at the middle. Benefits and compensation are great, so no need to negotiate on that.

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in February 2014.

Close to industry standard. Required presentation only included senior staff. Co-workers only met over lunch. Interview process took about 5 hours and most had 2 interviewers.
     Travel and hotel were arranged and pre-paid, meals and incidental expenses were not.
    Pre-interview responses from HR were slow, even for working through a recruiter.

Negotiated sign-on bonus and PTO. Nothing else was considered

Mgt, Medical Writing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in May 2012.

A third-party recruiter told me about a "Manager, Medical Writing" position that was available, and the company's website showed both a "Manager" and "Director" position available. Therefore, it seemed that the company was willing to consider a candidate for any mid-mgt position within Medical Writing. After phone-screening with the third-party recruiter, I phone-screened with the in-house recruiter, and then with the hiring manager. Things went no further.

To this day, both positions remain open and I've seen ads from other recruiters trying to fill the "Manager" position as a contract opportunity. Obviously, this company is looking for some kind of medical writing virtuoso and hasn't found it. Mind you, it's not a terribly successful company so it makes me wonder what sort of candidate they can realistically expect.

Interview Questions
    • From the hiring manager: "Have I missed any opportunities with regard to the kinds of documents our department should be writing?"   View Answer

Research Associate III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in August 2009.

Phone interview, then a full day interview with 5-6 different people ranging from mangers to coworkers including lunch. most of the questions were very straight forward. Lunch was fun and the best way to see if you will like the company it to ask the coworkers that take you to lunch. Ask their honest opinion and what they like or dont like about their jobs.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation when in conflict with another employee.   Answer Question
    Turned down 1st offer and received a higher offer that I accepted.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in July 2009.

Had an HR interview over the phone, one week later had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Flew in for a full day in person interview, gave a presentation to the group after the lunch interview followed by more one- on - one interviews. Lots of great technical questions.

Interview Questions
    Didnt need to, good offer.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in April 2009.

Contacted by company HR Manager as a result of a referral. Was invited to an on-site interview after the phone interview. Received clear and concise agenda and directions via email. Interviewed by 3 people, 30 minutes each. Hiring manager set clear expectation of when I will be notified of outcome. Was contacted by phone as scheduled that they selected another candidate. The interview was cordial. The office is OK.

Chemist Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nektar Therapeutics in January 2007.

interviewer was very cordial and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions
    • questions focused on the percentage of time spent at the bench versus supervising direct reports?   View Answer
    • How do you motivate your direct reports?   View Answer