Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

I applied from my economics department career website. The whole process takes about a month and a half. A week after I applied online, I received an invitation for a phone interview. (Note that because fit is very important to NERA, each office hires separately. In other places such as Cornerstone. They would interview you and let you choose which office you want to work)

The phone interview was about 30 minutes. The interviewer asked me to introduce myself and then asked about my research paper. Make sure you have a compelling story about yourself that leads to why you are interested in the job. Also, make sure you know your research inside out. That means: motivation, clearly defined research question, methodology, problems and solutions, results.

A week after the phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview. I got to their office at 9 and there were 2 other candidates there. The interview last from 9:30 to noon. 5 different interviewers. They all asked about either research or behavioral questions such as tell me about a time when you work on a team project and it failed. Make sure you use the STAR method. There was no case question for me but I heard other candidates have those.

Then we all went to lunch from noon-1 with 2 other employees. They were nice and encouraged questions. I think they answered truthfully or to the best of their knowledge.

I got a phone call with an offer 2 days later with a 2 weeks deadline to answer.

Overall, I think the most tricky part is actually to make your resume good enough to get noticed. For me it was because I used a cool dataset for my research. Also, check glassdoor because it helped me a lot.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about 4 weeks. Was contacted by HR for a screening interview. About a week later had a phone interview with 2 VPs. Was flown out to the respective office I applied for the following week for a series of in person interviews. Had 6 interviews with employees varying from analysts to VPs.

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

- 30 min phone interview with an analyst.
    - 2 days after the phone interview got an email about the on-site interview.
    - On-site interview with 5 people at the headquarter. 30 min with each person. Lunch with 2 first-year employees.
    - Rejected 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Mostly generic interview questions: introduction, past experience, why economic consulting, econometric projects.   Answer Question
    • (I mentioned that I had a case study on an environmental case about evaluating the compensation)
      How would you construct the idea and evaluate the damage caused by the oil company? What's the first thing you would do when you get this case?

1 Answer

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Saw the post about Finance and Securities Practice at NERA in New York office through program emails. Receive emails about a final round interview at NERA New York office which consists of 5 one-to-one interviews. Tow casual and behavioral interviews about the big picture and the daily responsibility of the position. Prepare to answer questions about your past experiences to tiny little details. One case interview on Economics which tests you on simple Economics concept and its application in a real world case. One Excel spreadsheet interview where it asks you to find mistakes in the spreadsheet, both typo and numerical errors. One interview which was supposed to be another case interview, but it turns out to be another behavioral interview discussing about my background and some statistical concept questions based on my experiences.

Hear from the HR a little bit over one week after the interview. And it took about 3-4 weeks for them to send the official offer.

The overall process was very efficient and everyone is nice and helpful. They really want to know whether you are a good fit for the company and whether you know about the industry of Economic Consulting well enough. It would definitely help if you have certain experiences with Economic Consulting or related case studies.

Interview Questions

• Most questions based on your background.   1 Answer
    • Find errors in an Excel spreadsheet.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in the Chicago Antitrust office. The process consisted of four 30 minute interviews with staff ranging from a fellow RA to the Vice President. Following these meetings I was taken out to lunch. Most of the questions asked me to explain my research and work experience and how it was relevant to the position. One case study question that just asked me to explain what I was seeing in the data. The employees were nice, funny, and really wanted me to succeed. The atmosphere seemed friendly and it is an intimate office.

Interview Questions

• How would you begin to think about if there are anticompetitive practices occurring or would occur?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I interviewed with NERA two weeks ago and for the research associate position. Interviews were all hold int the morning and followed by a lunch with current workers, and they were a combination of behavioral and technical questions. People were all very nice. But I was not able to get the offer eventually . Should have better prepared especially for the technical questions.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

On-campus interview: ask a lot of questions during the pre-interview session. The interviewer was dead tired the morning he interviewed me - other interviewees also mentioned that he yawned a couple of times. It may have been intentional to see how interviewees do under stress, but don't get thrown off.

Interview Questions

• Specifics of STATA: it's been a while since I used STATA (freshman year), so it was hard when they asked about the variables, and what formulas I used.
      Also, asks what kind of manager you would like to have. It was hard to describe because I didn't really know what they were looking for.

Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

On campus recruiting through my university. Was an on campus interview consisting of 1 30 minute behavioral questions. Really nice interviewer and friendly process overall. Similar experience to other Econ consulting positions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were on a team and the project failed   Answer Question

Economic Consultant Interview

Interview

First round interview on campus, interviewer young and relatable, very nice. Interview structure is very conversational, they ask questions such as why NERA, what qualities would help you here, why consulting, and why should we hire you. No case interview on campus, this would come in second round interview. Notified about second round interview about 10 days after first round concludes.

Better offer elsewhere

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied via campus recruiting. The first round interview was all resume-based questions and was invited to the second/final round in their New York City office 1-2 weeks after. The superday was 5 one-to-one interviews, including one spreadsheet quiz, two case questions, and two resume based + short technical questions. Expect to explain your research projects if you had done any, and your coursework. The interviewers are very nice, smart, and willing to give you some hints if you get stuck on during the process.