Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

Intern Interview

After submitting my resume, I received and email and was asked to list my location and practice area preferences. I then had a 30 minute phone interview and was hired within a week. The interview process is more extensive for full-time positions.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in April 2014.

5 interviews back to back. People are nice and questions are not difficult. Mostly about my experience. one case interview about natural gas and one excel interview. I had a great time with them and they are really smart.

Interview Questions
    • i didn't expected the excel and case interview but i did them ok. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in November 2011.

Pretty straightforward interview process:
    - Initial opportunity contact was through a former colleague at another company who did project work with a NERA Senior VP
    - The SVP got in touch with me, we had an initial phone conversation which was pleasant and informative.
    - Came in for a day of interviews as well as giving a presentation to all the member of the specific practice I'd be working in.
    - The interviews were not very technical at my level (they can be more technically specific at the more junior levels) and more about personality and fit. They were also interested in my opinions and perspective on my relevant industry, there was a focus on understanding my level of expertise.
    - Everyone was very nice and VERY intelligent, particularly from and economics perspective. About 80% of the people at Senior Consultant and above have PhDs, primarily in Economics. During my presentation they asked very challenging and insightful questions, not for the purposes of trying to embarrass or stump me but simply because they are all very inquisitive and intellectual people.
    - Heard back pretty quickly on a decision, the initial salary offered was generous although I didn't negotiate at all since I was unhappy in my existing situation and eager to move.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see the evolution of the industry you are focused on (power and energy in my case) creating new business opportunities for our firm and how would you approach capitalizing on them?   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

As I understand it, there's typically a phone interview, but I didn't have to have one and went straight to the in person interviews.

The interviews laster half of a day, starting with lunch with other analysts, then circulating around the office for half hour interviews with staff. There was no case study. By and large people were overwhelmingly warm and friendly. They seemed mostly interested in making sure our personalities were compatible than evaluating my abilities. That said, there were still standard questions about education and work experience. On the whole it was a very positive experience and I was impressed by the office.

I would have happily taken it if I hadn't received a slightly better offer from one of their competitors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in January 2014.

Received an email to come in for an interview. Met with 5 different people, then went out to lunch. Took almost the whole day. Received a call back to come in to take a quantitative test. The test took 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Case study question on how rent prices could effect the economy.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Submitted resume and cover letter through college career website. Got a phone interview. No technical and pretty much just behavioral/fit questions. It probably helped that I have networked with people from the firm before but I'm not entirely sure.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Mostly fit and behavioral questions. Pretty casual. Interviewer answered questions pretty candidly.

Research Associate Interview

Applied through career center on campus. Had a first round interview that was just behavioral questions. Final round interview was 3 hours in NYC, where it was basically just all behavioral again. I'm not really sure why they don't do any case study questions, but that was my experience.
    It helps a lot if you have research experience, as that's about 90% of what they asked me about in every interview.

Interview Questions
    • Just a bunch of questions about my honors thesis, why I chose to use a certain type of regression, how I controlled for certain variables, assumptions I made, etc.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in September 2013.

I was invited for the first round interview in NYC. Most interview questions were expected, such as research experience, how to deal with big data, and past internship experience.

Interview Questions
    • the most difficult question I thought was to answer how to deal with dataset, which requires to describe every step accurately.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in November 2012.

I applied through on-campus recruiting, so the first round was at the university career office. It was a single 30-minute interview with mostly behavioral questions. The interviewer handed me a questionnaire to fill out with my preferences for practices and office locations.

A few weeks later, I was contacted for an interview at the New York office. That same week, the company flew me to New York, where I met with 5 or 6 managers. Almost all questions were behavioral, though we did discuss economic issues if they were relevant to my research or NERA's work.

All of the interviews went well, but I was ultimately not offered a position. I suspect that NERA interviews many candidates for just a few openings, so the numbers didn't work out in my favor.

Interview Questions
    • All the technical questions were related to my undergrad research experience.   Answer Question

Worked for Nera Economic Consulting? Contribute to the Community!