Nera Economic Consulting

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.1

Research Associate Interview

I interviewed with NERA two weeks ago and for the research associate position. Interviews were all hold int the morning and followed by a lunch with current workers, and they were a combination of behavioral and technical questions. People were all very nice. But I was not able to get the offer eventually . Should have better prepared especially for the technical questions.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

On-campus interview: ask a lot of questions during the pre-interview session. The interviewer was dead tired the morning he interviewed me - other interviewees also mentioned that he yawned a couple of times. It may have been intentional to see how interviewees do under stress, but don't get thrown off.

Interview Questions
    • Specifics of STATA: it's been a while since I used STATA (freshman year), so it was hard when they asked about the variables, and what formulas I used.
      Also, asks what kind of manager you would like to have. It was hard to describe because I didn't really know what they were looking for.

Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

On campus recruiting through my university. Was an on campus interview consisting of 1 30 minute behavioral questions. Really nice interviewer and friendly process overall. Similar experience to other Econ consulting positions

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were on a team and the project failed   Answer Question

Economic Consultant Interview

First round interview on campus, interviewer young and relatable, very nice. Interview structure is very conversational, they ask questions such as why NERA, what qualities would help you here, why consulting, and why should we hire you. No case interview on campus, this would come in second round interview. Notified about second round interview about 10 days after first round concludes.

Better offer elsewhere

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in October 2014.

I applied via campus recruiting. The first round interview was all resume-based questions and was invited to the second/final round in their New York City office 1-2 weeks after. The superday was 5 one-to-one interviews, including one spreadsheet quiz, two case questions, and two resume based + short technical questions. Expect to explain your research projects if you had done any, and your coursework. The interviewers are very nice, smart, and willing to give you some hints if you get stuck on during the process.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

After submitting my application online with referral, I received an email asking for my office and practice area preferences. The interview process only had one round of Skype interview, with a lot of emphasis on my previous research experience (independent and dependent variables, how to deal with data issues, etc.)

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for interns.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in October 2014.

First round interview was easy, I went through the on-campus recruiting system and it was a behavioral/fit interview. Relatively casual and interviewer was young. Second round NERA flew me out to San Francisco, all expenses paid for superday interview. Started off with a 1-hour test that was (in my opinion as someone who was not an Econ major in undergrad) very difficult. 2-page test with 15 questions but it took me the entire hour to complete. Tested economic ideas, math, statistics knowledge, some logic. After the test came 5 1-hour interviews in their Antitrust department which included a case study-style question and questions about Excel. The rest of the questions were about previous experience/academic pursuits (my honors thesis).

Interview Questions
    • Case study-style question: how would you assist a client that is accused of false advertising?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

After submitting my resume, I received and email and was asked to list my location and practice area preferences. I then had a 30 minute phone interview and was hired within a week. The interview process is more extensive for full-time positions.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

As I understand it, there's typically a phone interview, but I didn't have to have one and went straight to the in person interviews.

The interviews laster half of a day, starting with lunch with other analysts, then circulating around the office for half hour interviews with staff. There was no case study. By and large people were overwhelmingly warm and friendly. They seemed mostly interested in making sure our personalities were compatible than evaluating my abilities. That said, there were still standard questions about education and work experience. On the whole it was a very positive experience and I was impressed by the office.

I would have happily taken it if I hadn't received a slightly better offer from one of their competitors.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in April 2014.

5 interviews back to back. People are nice and questions are not difficult. Mostly about my experience. one case interview about natural gas and one excel interview. I had a great time with them and they are really smart.

Interview Questions
    • i didn't expected the excel and case interview but i did them ok. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question