Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

After submitting my application online with referral, I received an email asking for my office and practice area preferences. The interview process only had one round of Skype interview, with a lot of emphasis on my previous research experience (independent and dependent variables, how to deal with data issues, etc.)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

First round interview was easy, I went through the on-campus recruiting system and it was a behavioral/fit interview. Relatively casual and interviewer was young. Second round NERA flew me out to San Francisco, all expenses paid for superday interview. Started off with a 1-hour test that was (in my opinion as someone who was not an Econ major in undergrad) very difficult. 2-page test with 15 questions but it took me the entire hour to complete. Tested economic ideas, math, statistics knowledge, some logic. After the test came 5 1-hour interviews in their Antitrust department which included a case study-style question and questions about Excel. The rest of the questions were about previous experience/academic pursuits (my honors thesis).

Interview Questions

• Case study-style question: how would you assist a client that is accused of false advertising?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

After submitting my resume, I received and email and was asked to list my location and practice area preferences. I then had a 30 minute phone interview and was hired within a week. The interview process is more extensive for full-time positions.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY).

Interview

As I understand it, there's typically a phone interview, but I didn't have to have one and went straight to the in person interviews.

The interviews laster half of a day, starting with lunch with other analysts, then circulating around the office for half hour interviews with staff. There was no case study. By and large people were overwhelmingly warm and friendly. They seemed mostly interested in making sure our personalities were compatible than evaluating my abilities. That said, there were still standard questions about education and work experience. On the whole it was a very positive experience and I was impressed by the office.

I would have happily taken it if I hadn't received a slightly better offer from one of their competitors.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

5 interviews back to back. People are nice and questions are not difficult. Mostly about my experience. one case interview about natural gas and one excel interview. I had a great time with them and they are really smart.

Interview Questions

• i didn't expected the excel and case interview but i did them ok. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process was relatively brief and straightforward as there was only one 30 minute interview which was only 30 minutes. In the first phase, I went over my transcript and described my relevant coursework and skills I had gained. The second part was about my prior work experiences. The final phase was behavioral.

The process of setting up the interview was more challenging. There were a few stretches of multiple weeks without hearing back from my coordinator.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter through college career website. Got a phone interview. No technical and pretty much just behavioral/fit questions. It probably helped that I have networked with people from the firm before but I'm not entirely sure.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Received an email to come in for an interview. Met with 5 different people, then went out to lunch. Took almost the whole day. Received a call back to come in to take a quantitative test. The test took 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• Case study question on how rent prices could effect the economy.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

Mostly fit and behavioral questions. Pretty casual. Interviewer answered questions pretty candidly.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Applied through career center on campus. Had a first round interview that was just behavioral questions. Final round interview was 3 hours in NYC, where it was basically just all behavioral again. I'm not really sure why they don't do any case study questions, but that was my experience.
    It helps a lot if you have research experience, as that's about 90% of what they asked me about in every interview.

Interview Questions

• Just a bunch of questions about my honors thesis, why I chose to use a certain type of regression, how I controlled for certain variables, assumptions I made, etc.   Answer Question