Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

- 30 min phone interview with an analyst.
    - 2 days after the phone interview got an email about the on-site interview.
    - On-site interview with 5 people at the headquarter. 30 min with each person. Lunch with 2 first-year employees.
    - Rejected 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Mostly generic interview questions: introduction, past experience, why economic consulting, econometric projects.   Answer Question
    • (I mentioned that I had a case study on an environmental case about evaluating the compensation)
      How would you construct the idea and evaluate the damage caused by the oil company? What's the first thing you would do when you get this case?

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Saw the post about Finance and Securities Practice at NERA in New York office through program emails. Receive emails about a final round interview at NERA New York office which consists of 5 one-to-one interviews. Tow casual and behavioral interviews about the big picture and the daily responsibility of the position. Prepare to answer questions about your past experiences to tiny little details. One case interview on Economics which tests you on simple Economics concept and its application in a real world case. One Excel spreadsheet interview where it asks you to find mistakes in the spreadsheet, both typo and numerical errors. One interview which was supposed to be another case interview, but it turns out to be another behavioral interview discussing about my background and some statistical concept questions based on my experiences.

Hear from the HR a little bit over one week after the interview. And it took about 3-4 weeks for them to send the official offer.

The overall process was very efficient and everyone is nice and helpful. They really want to know whether you are a good fit for the company and whether you know about the industry of Economic Consulting well enough. It would definitely help if you have certain experiences with Economic Consulting or related case studies.

Interview Questions

• Most questions based on your background.   1 Answer
    • Find errors in an Excel spreadsheet.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied via campus recruiting. The first round interview was all resume-based questions and was invited to the second/final round in their New York City office 1-2 weeks after. The superday was 5 one-to-one interviews, including one spreadsheet quiz, two case questions, and two resume based + short technical questions. Expect to explain your research projects if you had done any, and your coursework. The interviewers are very nice, smart, and willing to give you some hints if you get stuck on during the process.

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY).

Interview

As I understand it, there's typically a phone interview, but I didn't have to have one and went straight to the in person interviews.

The interviews laster half of a day, starting with lunch with other analysts, then circulating around the office for half hour interviews with staff. There was no case study. By and large people were overwhelmingly warm and friendly. They seemed mostly interested in making sure our personalities were compatible than evaluating my abilities. That said, there were still standard questions about education and work experience. On the whole it was a very positive experience and I was impressed by the office.

I would have happily taken it if I hadn't received a slightly better offer from one of their competitors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

5 interviews back to back. People are nice and questions are not difficult. Mostly about my experience. one case interview about natural gas and one excel interview. I had a great time with them and they are really smart.

Interview Questions

• i didn't expected the excel and case interview but i did them ok. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied to a career fair. I interviewed with a senior analyst. I was then invited to the second round and interview with 5 people. The day was hectic.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about this specific statistics class you took your freshman year.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview + in office 1:1 interview with 5 NERA employees.
    Behavioral, resume and skill questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied online and got first round interviews. Mostly based on resume and research experience, and was asked some questions about statistical software

Interview Questions

• What was your role in a specific research project in your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting, so the first round was at the university career office. It was a single 30-minute interview with mostly behavioral questions. The interviewer handed me a questionnaire to fill out with my preferences for practices and office locations.

A few weeks later, I was contacted for an interview at the New York office. That same week, the company flew me to New York, where I met with 5 or 6 managers. Almost all questions were behavioral, though we did discuss economic issues if they were relevant to my research or NERA's work.

All of the interviews went well, but I was ultimately not offered a position. I suspect that NERA interviews many candidates for just a few openings, so the numbers didn't work out in my favor.

Interview Questions

• All the technical questions were related to my undergrad research experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

One on-campus interview with a Senior Analyst. Started off with very basic fit questions. Then proceeded to the "case". It was very challenging and there is no right answer. For every answer I gave, the interviewer then changed the problem to ask a different question.

Overall not an unpleasant experience, the interviewer was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a non-economics class that you enjoyed most.   Answer Question