Nest Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

Undisclosed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nest in October 2013.

Great experience overall, my recruiter was high touch and made kept me updated how things were going through the interview process and after I accepted kept in constant contact, even checking to make sure I was doing okay after having some difficult convos while giving notice.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Nest.

I sent a mail to the recruiter and it wasn't mentioned what position I'd be interviewing for. They said I could fit in to two positions and a technical person (one of the engineers there) would call.

I had no clue if it was a technical or a HR interview. Since there was no details exchanged about the job or the interview, I went in clueless and was in for a rude shock when programming questions were asked.

Embedded Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nest in June 2014.

I applied on the website and got an email from recruiter for a phone screen for 15 mins. Got a call from one of the engineers of the team. Interview lasted for longer than scheduled. More than an hour. First half an hour spoke about my experiences in detail. Followed by programming.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on pointers, strings, arrays. Program to check if the string has a valid parentheses structure.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Nest.

Though I was not offered the position, I absolutely loved my interview process at Nest. I have never felt more myself through an interview process than through my experience at Nest. The only critique I had to make was that – since the company was recently acquired by Google – there were a few steps that were taken out of order and it got a little confusing for me as the interviewer.
    My first interview was a group interview with 3 other EA’s at the company. My second interview was a 2 hour block where I met one on one with each of the 4 Engineering Managers the position would be supporting.
    Because Google had just acquired the company, I ended up doing the Google CGA after doing all the interviews with Nest, which should have been the other way around.
    The entire process took just a little over a month. At the end of it all, they offered the position to another candidate who had more professional experience. However, I ended the interview process on a good note. If they opened another Admin position, I would definitely consider applying again if they would allow me to.

Interview Questions
    • Talk me through the steps that would need to be taken when planning the opening party for a new Google Campus in Bangalore, India.   Answer Question

Artificial Intelligence and Control Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Nest.

Firstly, the position in question was advertising for someone who could handle system integration of data acquired by a variety of sensors, computational intelligence and control system algorithms which could properly process the data, and a variety of EE experience to implement such in hardware. Take my word for it, I have an advanced-to-expert level of experience in almost all angles of the above, and my application (resume, cover, etc.) showed that, including a brand new PhD in one of those areas with publications to validate it. Now for the "interview process": I applied within a few weeks of the posting, and also applied for one other related position. I have two friends who work at the company and who have known me for years, and one in particular shepherded my contact from the beginning. I waited the customary week after first applying, and contacted the sr. HR person by email, refreshing the contact. My "inside guy" told me they hired 6 new recruiters just to screen for this position and maybe 20 to 30 others in all departments. Over the next 3 months, I and my friend on the inside kept a finger on the pulse by checking in on the process. My friend informed me when they started interviewing candidates within that time frame. At the end of that 3 month period, my friend discovered they had recently selected a candidate, but never closed the position or sent out any emails, including to me -- someone with a very strong application and a friend on the inside, etc. Only through his urging, the friend convinced the brand new crack HR team to properly send out a letter of denial. Not only was I never called, but I found out after polling my employment references that not one was ever contacted either. Now I realize this is an ever more common story in modern hiring processes. I just felt the need to point this out -- Unless their job descriptions were mangled from the beginning, my hit rate on their requirements was conservatively, say in the 85 to 95% range. I don't care if there were 1,000 applicants, someone should have seen my stuff and at least picked up the phone one time. If this is the new standard, it's no wonder companies are not as satisfied with their candidates. I and colleagues have identified two *possible* red flags on my overall resume presentation -- 1) The big one: If you add up my dated and additional work and educational experience, you might surmise that I am somewhere in my early to late 40's. 2) I did receive two of my degrees from the same university, for those that care about those things. Again, if this is the new standard for tech recruiting...

Marketing Manager At Google Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Nest in March 2013.

Had a phone interview for a contract position in marketing. Questions included what do you think Google should do for the community? What type of qualities should Google have as a company, etc. Again, this was for a contractor position. I had heard rumors of these types of questions; but these were more inane then I could have ever imagined. If I was the interviewer, I would be embarrassed that I even had to ask these stupid scripted questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult; was thrown off by the standard script questions the interviewer was asking.   Answer Question

Low Power Wireless Firmware Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nest in March 2014.

Process took about 4 weeks. Stated off with a phone screening of about 45 mins with questions like reversing a string, qualifiers in c, resume specific questions. Got a call for an onsite interview of 4 hours in the following week. Onsite interview panel was about 8 people. Two of the rounds were 2 on 1 and rest were 1 on 1. Asked resume related questions, other c questions and regular programming questions. Arranged for a second phone interview in the next 3 days since one manager was unavailable for the interview. Immediately followed up with a offer after 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to bluetooth low energy since I had already done that. Other questions were funding largest sub array from a given array in O (n) complexity. Finding a missing number in the array, checking if a number is a palindrome, implementing shuffle playlist function of mp3 players, implement shift right and left with wrap around, reversing bits in a number, questions on interrupt service routines,   Answer Question
    Offer was very competitive so I just jumped on it.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Nest in August 2011.

A few personality and technical questions followed by a mention of Tony & Matt's no bozo policy.

Interview Questions
    • What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nest in October 2013.

This was about as amateurish an on-site interview process as I could ever have imagined, this despite having an internal referral at the company. I had an initial phone interview with one of their recruiters, and that went quite well. The process deteriorated significantly when the time came for the on-site interview, however. Most of the interviewers admitted that they hadn't looked at my resume in advance, and were clearly struggling to make up questions as they went along. It seemed that many of them (6 in all, I think) really had no idea what questions to ask me, despite several of them having the same kind of role I was interviewing for. There was almost nothing asked that could reasonably be considered a relevant predictor of my ability to perform and succeed in the role.

Interview Questions
    • The only really unexpected item that came up, besides the interviewers' surprising lack of preparation, was hearing the hiring manager say during his interview with me that even if someone was to meet all their objectives for the year he might still fire them.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nest in July 2013.

The Nest HR team is insane (the good kind, not the bad kind). The head recruiter has worked hard for many years and has built a fantastic team and fantastic environment at Nest. I think anyone would be lucky to work there - and that's applicable to all teams.

That being said, I was quite frustrated with my interview process. I had two on-sites and met with a total of 9 or 10 people. I asked 4 of the recruiters if there was anything they would change about their candidate experience; I was disheartened that no one responded with self-criticism or self-feedback. They all told me they thought the Nest recruiting process was as good as it gets.

Those responses fueled my frustration because I was only given a 24 hour advanced notice about my on-site interview. At the end of my second interview I was told I'd hear back by "EOD tomorrow" BUT didn't hear back for 6 days. I also requested the names of the people I would be meeting with and wasn't provided them which threw me off since I met with 8 people in one day - it was more than I was expecting and not having been able to research their backgrounds, I felt unprepared.

All of this to say - I disagree, the candidate experience can be improved.

I know the company has been in hyper growth-mode. They're doing amazing things and they're doing them well. The HR team takes no sh*t and as one of the interviews so well put it, "they work smart." It's a lean team.

Of the HR teams I've met in the valley, I think Nest's HR/Recruiting is one of the most highly respected.

Interview Questions
    • Really average stuff here, nothing crazy or unexpected as far as Q&A.   Answer Question

Worked for Nest? Contribute to the Community!