Nest Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.1

User Interface Production Artist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nest.

I responded to a post I saw for the position, and the next day received an email from the recruiter, asking if I was available for a phone interview. The day after that, I talked on the phone with the recruiter for half an hour, who asked me a bunch of questions such as "how does the current team you are on function" and "what is an example of your daily tasks where you are now".

After the call, I emailed to see how I did, and she said ok. The next step was she sent me a file, a flattened photoshop file, where I was asked to rebuild the art as shape layers (I am aware photoshop is not a vector art tool, nor is shape layers the best means to work with vector objects in photoshop, but I recreated it this way anyways). I was able to do this that night, with the exception of the font, which is a really unusual (and expensive font).

I sent it back in the morning.

A week later, I heard back that the file was acceptable, and asked if I was available for an interview in 1.5 weeks. I set up a time for the interview, which was for a Friday from 11am-4pm at their office in Palo Alto.

The interview involved a 30 minute period where I presented my portfolio. Present was the recruiter, and 4 people from the team the position would be working with.

After the portfolio presentation, I met with each of the 4 people individually, for about half an hour each. The most common question asked was about what my experience is working with teams, and what kind of teams have I worked with in the past, and what has my role been with those teams. Of the 4 people I met with, 3 were direct hires from Apple, and one from Google (who had worked to Apple prior to that).

The next week, I sent a follow up email to the recruiter asking how I did. She said great, but they had another candidate they wanted to review. (I later saw the ad for the position reposted which told me they wanted to interview further candidates, which is fine).

A month later, I finally heard back that they decided to go with another candidate.

Everyone I met with seemed like a highly intelligent person, and it seems like this would be a great position to work on. But if I want to work here, I really have to get hired with Apple first, as most of their employees are direct hires from there. Not that working with Apple makes you any more intelligent, most of them probably know all the same things, which does not make a very rounded person, just means they all know the same things. I have a feeling Nest would be much better off hiring people who have not worked for Apple for a while, as they would get a much fuller, rounded background, and more people who would bring in new skills that the team could learn from, rather than the same old tricks.

Overall, was the most lengthy and tedious interview process I have ever gone through.

Interview Questions
    • What is it like with the team you work with currently.   Answer Question
    • What are your daily tasks with the team you work with now.   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nest in March 2015.

I talked with Nest at a career fair, and then got an email two weeks later from their recruiting department to set up a phone interview. I had two phone interviews, half an hour long each. The phone interviews included both behavioral and technical questions, and were generally pretty casual and comfortable.

Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nest in February 2015.

45 Minute skype interview. One to one. The interview did not have much small talks, we went straight to questions. During the process had to do 1 resume explanation, 3 Electrical Engineering questions and 1 CS questions. Did not expect so much focus on to EE.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the project you were most proud of in your resume.
      How does the I2C analog signal look like, and explain the I2C protocol in detail.
      Given a low power driven device, measure the power, where the voltage being applied is high.
      Write a code that, given a stream of data compress it as the value and its frequencies that occurs consecutively, for ex (1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,2) return (1,4) (2,2) (3,3) (2,1)

Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nest in January 2015.

I contacted the hiring manager directly through the alumni network and after a screening interview on the phone, she invited me over for on-site interviews.
    I met with her and another person from the same department, and the HR closed the session.
    Although they promised to get back to me within a few days, I waited for ages until I first heard that it was positive, then a week later that I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • What are you expecting from this internship ? Why our department ?   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Nest.

The initial contact and interview were generally positive. The phone screen was a good discussion and the process was relatively quick to set up the on-site interview.

However, I never heard anything at all after the interview, which leaves me with a negative impression of the recruiter, the process and company overall. I'm sure Nest has no shortage of candidates; at the same time, I have interviewed enough candidates at my current company to know that it's just a good practice to treat people with respect, even if the decision is ultimately that someone is not a fit. That same candidate may ultimately be a customer, and a negative impression of the company may impact someone's decision on whether to buy or recommend the company's products, or even whether to refer other qualified candidates for the role.

The recruiter also reacted very strangely to several of my questions during our initial conversation. All in all, not sure what it's like to work there, but I'd be concerned based on my experience of the interview.

With regard to the interview itself, I don't remember any questions that were particularly difficult. Several people asked questions indicating that the development process is really more waterfall than Agile.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important role of a program manager?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nest.

I sent a mail to the recruiter and it wasn't mentioned what position I'd be interviewing for. They said I could fit in to two positions and a technical person (one of the engineers there) would call.

I had no clue if it was a technical or a HR interview. Since there was no details exchanged about the job or the interview, I went in clueless and was in for a rude shock when programming questions were asked.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nest in August 2014.

Got contacted by the recruiter who found my resume. We spoke for about 30 minutes. Then scheduled a call with hiring manager. Next thing I found out was that Nest is undergoing reshuffling and they could not move on with hiring for the position.
    Based on my conversation with the recruiter, they have a meeting-heavy culture and many people who came to Nest from Apple.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nest.

Though I was not offered the position, I absolutely loved my interview process at Nest. I have never felt more myself through an interview process than through my experience at Nest. The only critique I had to make was that – since the company was recently acquired by Google – there were a few steps that were taken out of order and it got a little confusing for me as the interviewer.
    My first interview was a group interview with 3 other EA’s at the company. My second interview was a 2 hour block where I met one on one with each of the 4 Engineering Managers the position would be supporting.
    Because Google had just acquired the company, I ended up doing the Google CGA after doing all the interviews with Nest, which should have been the other way around.
    The entire process took just a little over a month. At the end of it all, they offered the position to another candidate who had more professional experience. However, I ended the interview process on a good note. If they opened another Admin position, I would definitely consider applying again if they would allow me to.

Interview Questions
    • Talk me through the steps that would need to be taken when planning the opening party for a new Google Campus in Bangalore, India.   Answer Question

Embedded Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nest in June 2014.

I applied on the website and got an email from recruiter for a phone screen for 15 mins. Got a call from one of the engineers of the team. Interview lasted for longer than scheduled. More than an hour. First half an hour spoke about my experiences in detail. Followed by programming.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on pointers, strings, arrays. Program to check if the string has a valid parentheses structure.   Answer Question

Artificial Intelligence and Control Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nest.

Firstly, the position in question was advertising for someone who could handle system integration of data acquired by a variety of sensors, computational intelligence and control system algorithms which could properly process the data, and a variety of EE experience to implement such in hardware. Take my word for it, I have an advanced-to-expert level of experience in almost all angles of the above, and my application (resume, cover, etc.) showed that, including a brand new PhD in one of those areas with publications to validate it. Now for the "interview process": I applied within a few weeks of the posting, and also applied for one other related position. I have two friends who work at the company and who have known me for years, and one in particular shepherded my contact from the beginning. I waited the customary week after first applying, and contacted the sr. HR person by email, refreshing the contact. My "inside guy" told me they hired 6 new recruiters just to screen for this position and maybe 20 to 30 others in all departments. Over the next 3 months, I and my friend on the inside kept a finger on the pulse by checking in on the process. My friend informed me when they started interviewing candidates within that time frame. At the end of that 3 month period, my friend discovered they had recently selected a candidate, but never closed the position or sent out any emails, including to me -- someone with a very strong application and a friend on the inside, etc. Only through his urging, the friend convinced the brand new crack HR team to properly send out a letter of denial. Not only was I never called, but I found out after polling my employment references that not one was ever contacted either. Now I realize this is an ever more common story in modern hiring processes. I just felt the need to point this out -- Unless their job descriptions were mangled from the beginning, my hit rate on their requirements was conservatively, say in the 85 to 95% range. I don't care if there were 1,000 applicants, someone should have seen my stuff and at least picked up the phone one time. If this is the new standard, it's no wonder companies are not as satisfied with their candidates. I and colleagues have identified two *possible* red flags on my overall resume presentation -- 1) The big one: If you add up my dated and additional work and educational experience, you might surmise that I am somewhere in my early to late 40's. 2) I did receive two of my degrees from the same university, for those that care about those things. Again, if this is the new standard for tech recruiting...