Nest Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015
Updated Apr 11, 2015

3.1

Embedded Fw (Firmware) Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nest in March 2015.

Interview

This is going to be a long story.

I was somehow able to reach out to a recruiter at Nest (let's call her Recruiter A), and asked her for getting me in touch with someone from the company who recruits for my domain (Embedded Systems). She was prompt & cordial, and immediately forwarded my details to a relevant recruiter (let's call her Recruiter B). Recruiter B followed up with me after a couple of weeks with a job position that was let's say a 50% match to my skill sets. I interviewed for the position (telephonic) and expressed my specific interests. My interviewer understood my concerns and I guess provided a feedback saying I am better suited for some other roles. I felt the same way. Recruiter B reached out to me with this info in a couple of weeks. All this while I was sending them reminders & queries for feedback (at least once a week) as I was also interviewing with other companies. Once we agreed that this may not be the best position for me, we decided to wait for a more relevant opportunity to come along. Surprisingly, the same day recruiter B reached out to me again, this time with a job profile which was exactly relevant to my skill sets, and asked me to coordinate with Recruiter C for this new position.

Recruiter C set up a phone interview which went really great. In fact the interviewer commented I was the only candidate who had answered his questions to the level of depth he had asked me, and I was personally aware of my convincing performance as well. However, I didn't hear back from Recruiter C for a full week after the interview. I did send a mail seeking feedback in between, and had clearly conveyed that since I was also considering other opportunities, I would appreciate if they could expedite the process. I even called her (Recruiter C ) one day to convey the urgency. However, she just gave me a text-book reply saying she was waiting for my interviewer to enter his feedback & then would again wait for the hiring manger to provide her with the next step. All this while I was interviewing with other top tech companies in Silicon Valley & had become conversant with the typical interview process. I was kind of surprised with such a laid back and passive attitude on behalf of recruiter C. She wouldn't respond to my emails in a timely manner either. I felt like I was being taken for granted as I knew I was a worthy candidate for the position but was being held up due to bureaucratic and care-free attitude of the recruiter C. One would imagine that someone in her position could easily have asked my interviewer for timely feedback & would want to move ahead with the process, more so when the candidate himself expresses the urgency for it to you.

Subsequently, I received job offers from two top-notch companies and accepted on of those. By now it was about 3 weeks since my last interview with Nest and hadn't heard back from them yet. A week after this period, I received a mail from Recruiter C saying my interviewer was down with flu and so had delayed entering his feedback. She wanted to know my current status. A fair excuse, I agree. But what I cannot digest, is why couldn't she think out of the box, and somehow try to engage with me all this while? Isn't that what her job was? She just behaved like a bot following rules & processes. But anyone with a reasonable amount of sense & sensitivity would have identified exceptional circumstances here, and tried to either reach out to the interviewer just to seek a verbal feedback (a go/no-go maybe) to move ahead with the process.

I was disappointed as I lost out on a good opportunity just due to the incompetence of the recruiter, and kind of offended due to her lack of responsiveness. My unsolicited advice to Nest:No matter how big a company you become (or belong to), you have to give respect to the candidate, and it is indeed being done by your peers in the Silicon Valley. And please hire pro-active recruiters who understand their job rather than just act like bots.

User Interface Production Artist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nest.

Interview

I responded to a post I saw for the position, and the next day received an email from the recruiter, asking if I was available for a phone interview. The day after that, I talked on the phone with the recruiter for half an hour, who asked me a bunch of questions such as "how does the current team you are on function" and "what is an example of your daily tasks where you are now".

After the call, I emailed to see how I did, and she said ok. The next step was she sent me a file, a flattened photoshop file, where I was asked to rebuild the art as shape layers (I am aware photoshop is not a vector art tool, nor is shape layers the best means to work with vector objects in photoshop, but I recreated it this way anyways). I was able to do this that night, with the exception of the font, which is a really unusual (and expensive font).

I sent it back in the morning.

A week later, I heard back that the file was acceptable, and asked if I was available for an interview in 1.5 weeks. I set up a time for the interview, which was for a Friday from 11am-4pm at their office in Palo Alto.

The interview involved a 30 minute period where I presented my portfolio. Present was the recruiter, and 4 people from the team the position would be working with.

After the portfolio presentation, I met with each of the 4 people individually, for about half an hour each. The most common question asked was about what my experience is working with teams, and what kind of teams have I worked with in the past, and what has my role been with those teams. Of the 4 people I met with, 3 were direct hires from Apple, and one from Google (who had worked to Apple prior to that).

The next week, I sent a follow up email to the recruiter asking how I did. She said great, but they had another candidate they wanted to review. (I later saw the ad for the position reposted which told me they wanted to interview further candidates, which is fine).

A month later, I finally heard back that they decided to go with another candidate.

Everyone I met with seemed like a highly intelligent person, and it seems like this would be a great position to work on. But if I want to work here, I really have to get hired with Apple first, as most of their employees are direct hires from there. Not that working with Apple makes you any more intelligent, most of them probably know all the same things, which does not make a very rounded person, just means they all know the same things. I have a feeling Nest would be much better off hiring people who have not worked for Apple for a while, as they would get a much fuller, rounded background, and more people who would bring in new skills that the team could learn from, rather than the same old tricks.

Overall, was the most lengthy and tedious interview process I have ever gone through.

Interview Questions

• What is it like with the team you work with currently.   Answer Question
    • What are your daily tasks with the team you work with now.   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nest in March 2015.

Interview

I talked with Nest at a career fair, and then got an email two weeks later from their recruiting department to set up a phone interview. I had two phone interviews, half an hour long each. The phone interviews included both behavioral and technical questions, and were generally pretty casual and comfortable.

Integration Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nest (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

45 Minute skype interview. One to one. The interview did not have much small talks, we went straight to questions. During the process had to do 1 resume explanation, 3 Electrical Engineering questions and 1 CS questions. Did not expect so much focus on to EE.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the project you were most proud of in your resume.
      How does the I2C analog signal look like, and explain the I2C protocol in detail.
      Given a low power driven device, measure the power, where the voltage being applied is high.
      Write a code that, given a stream of data compress it as the value and its frequencies that occurs consecutively, for ex (1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,2) return (1,4) (2,2) (3,3) (2,1)

Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nest in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me asking for my availability for a phone interview. After providing these details - another recruiter contacted me containing information about the time of my interview and who it was with. The interview happened a bit later - it was largely a behavioral interview about my past experience with a few technical components relating to my past experience.

Interview Questions

• The engineer asked me to describe challenges and shortcomings of various projects and (engineering) activities on my resume.   Answer Question

MBA Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I contacted the hiring manager directly through the alumni network and after a screening interview on the phone, she invited me over for on-site interviews.
    I met with her and another person from the same department, and the HR closed the session.
    Although they promised to get back to me within a few days, I waited for ages until I first heard that it was positive, then a week later that I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• What are you expecting from this internship ? Why our department ?   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The initial contact and interview were generally positive. The phone screen was a good discussion and the process was relatively quick to set up the on-site interview.

However, I never heard anything at all after the interview, which leaves me with a negative impression of the recruiter, the process and company overall. I'm sure Nest has no shortage of candidates; at the same time, I have interviewed enough candidates at my current company to know that it's just a good practice to treat people with respect, even if the decision is ultimately that someone is not a fit. That same candidate may ultimately be a customer, and a negative impression of the company may impact someone's decision on whether to buy or recommend the company's products, or even whether to refer other qualified candidates for the role.

The recruiter also reacted very strangely to several of my questions during our initial conversation. All in all, not sure what it's like to work there, but I'd be concerned based on my experience of the interview.

With regard to the interview itself, I don't remember any questions that were particularly difficult. Several people asked questions indicating that the development process is really more waterfall than Agile.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important role of a program manager?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nest.

Interview

I sent a mail to the recruiter and it wasn't mentioned what position I'd be interviewing for. They said I could fit in to two positions and a technical person (one of the engineers there) would call.

I had no clue if it was a technical or a HR interview. Since there was no details exchanged about the job or the interview, I went in clueless and was in for a rude shock when programming questions were asked.

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by the recruiter who found my resume. We spoke for about 30 minutes. Then scheduled a call with hiring manager. Next thing I found out was that Nest is undergoing reshuffling and they could not move on with hiring for the position.
    Based on my conversation with the recruiter, they have a meeting-heavy culture and many people who came to Nest from Apple.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nest.

Interview

Though I was not offered the position, I absolutely loved my interview process at Nest. I have never felt more myself through an interview process than through my experience at Nest. The only critique I had to make was that – since the company was recently acquired by Google – there were a few steps that were taken out of order and it got a little confusing for me as the interviewer.
    My first interview was a group interview with 3 other EA’s at the company. My second interview was a 2 hour block where I met one on one with each of the 4 Engineering Managers the position would be supporting.
    Because Google had just acquired the company, I ended up doing the Google CGA after doing all the interviews with Nest, which should have been the other way around.
    The entire process took just a little over a month. At the end of it all, they offered the position to another candidate who had more professional experience. However, I ended the interview process on a good note. If they opened another Admin position, I would definitely consider applying again if they would allow me to.

Interview Questions

• Talk me through the steps that would need to be taken when planning the opening party for a new Google Campus in Bangalore, India.   Answer Question