Nestlé Purina PetCare
www.nestlepurinacareers.com Saint Louis, MO 5000+ Employees

Nestlé Purina PetCare Engineering Management Trainee Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Crete, NE

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on the Nestle Purina website and got an email the next day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of going through my resume in detail and then answering 2 behavioral questions (with several follow-up questions). My interviewer was friendly and knowledgeable about the program. It was a standard phone screen, no surprises.

About 2 weeks later I got an email saying that I was invited to interview on-site at the factory in a few weeks. I was told the interview would be a 2 day event and I set up travel arrangements. I was also put in contact with someone currently in the program (ambassador) who answered questions about the program.

I flew out there early the morning of the first day and then had to drive to the factory. My rental car was a minivan. . . awesome. The first day I met the HR coordinator, the managers I would be interviewing with the next day, and the ambassadors. We were shown a presentation about Nestle, Nestle Purina, and the specific factory. The managers also spoke about the company and program to try to give us a good idea of the program. The plant manager even came in to speak with us during the presentation. Then we were taken on a tour of most of the factory floor. It is important to pay attention and think of (and later write down) any good questions you have about the company or the factory so that you have something good to talk about during the interviews. We all drove back to the hotel and had about an hour before going to a cocktail hour with the managers. This is an opportunity to show your personality.They will remember how you interacted with them and will determine if you are a good fit with the culture at the factory. After about an hour, the ambassadors came back to take us to a nice restaurant for dinner. We were encouraged to ask questions about their experiences. They were helpful and eager to talk about the program. Purina is really into "realistic job expectations" so along the interview process there are tons of opportunities to speak with people who are going through or have recently gone through your program.

The interviews were the next day. I was in the morning session so I had to be at the factory by 7:30 AM (I was like 2 minutes late, they didn't seem mad). Then there were 3, 1-hour interviews. I interviewed with the HR manager, Manager of Manufacturing Operations, and the Engineering Manager. All 3 of them were friendly and professional. They asked some tough questions, but it never felt like they were grilling me. I think they all asked 4 behavior questions. Each interviewer asked a variation of the same questions, but you are asked to give different examples for each. This can be difficult because you need to have so many different examples prepared. Be prepared to concisely describe lots of past experiences so that you can readily draw on those that answer the question you are asked. They will give you 15-20 minutes at the end to ask questions (depending on how long it took for you to answer the behavior questions). Use this time to have your questions answered but also to make a good final impression on the manager. Ask specific, informed decisions that show that you are interested in the position. We were then told that they would make a decision in the next few weeks.

About a month later I received a call offering me the position and was emailed the written offer letter. They also invited me to VIPurina Day in ST. Louis were they bring in the VP of Manufacturing and other senior leadership to convince you why you should accept the position. We were shown presentations, talked to former Trainees who had completed the program in the past 5 or so years, and toured some of the facility. We were also given the opportunity to speak with an executive during lunch. Many of the leadership I met had gone through the Trainee program which was interesting to hear. Everyone was very friendly and helpful throughout the entire day. Nestle Purina does a really good job of planning the interviews and this event. They picked former Trainees in the same disciplines that we were in. The one who was finishing the same program as me clearly knew who I was and was sent to answer questions but also to really sell me on the program (again, clearly planned). I accepted the next Monday.

All of my experiences with Nestle Purina were strongly positive. I enjoyed every interaction with Purina employees and didn't meet anyone that I disliked of felt like I couldn't work successfully with. In the end, I accepted because of the culture. I felt comfortable with everyone I met, all of the employees seem genuinely happy to work there, and I think this program best set me up for a successful career. During the interviews it is just as important that you are a good culture fit as that you have a strong academic background. Make sure you show your personality. Be friendly, excited about the job, and professional.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They tell you this during the phone interview. The salary was a little higher than they initially told me though.

Engineering Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

Interview Details – For the behavioral interview, they asked me 2 questions about specific situations. 1. When have you had to describe something technical in simple terms? 2. For the last design project you were on, what research did you have to do in order to design it? They also went through my resume with me and asked me to describe everything on it with more detail.

Interview Question – For the last design project you were on, what research did you have to do in order to design it?   Answer Question

Davenport, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got a phone call from a recruiter and was asked some basic profile questions. I got a call in about two weeks to come down to Davenport, IA for a one on one interview. The interview was 2 day and consisted on 4 group interview. The interview question were all behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.   Answer Question

Engineering Management Trainee

The process took a day - interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the company and asked to phone interview with them at my earliest convenience. The interview was shorter than i expected (25-30 minutes). The interview was with an HR representative. She asked me to walk her through my resume and then answer some behavioral based questions. There were about 4 questions in total and none of them were unexpected.

Interview Question – Can you tell me about a time that you tried to explain something complicated to someone that didn't understand   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!

Nestlé Purina PetCare Videos

Nestlé Purina PetCare – Why Work for Us?

We Believe Pets and People are Better Together Nestlé Purina PetCare Company is a leader in the pet products industry, dedicated to improving the lives of cats and dogs through quality nutrition and care. Innovation… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nestlé Purina PetCare Engineering Management Trainee interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nestlé Purina PetCare employees and interview candidates.