Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.1

Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

My contact with Purina prior to the face-to-face interviews took place via email. The phone screen was 1 hour and covered my job history and qualifications, why I was leaving my current position, salary expectations, etc. I learned only a little about the role and was told I would learn more in the interviews if I were invited to interview. A little while later I heard I was moving on to the next step of the process. The interviews were arduous - three behavioral-based interviews asking for different examples to be used with each person. Because of how long that process took, I didn't have much time to ask questions about the role or team I would be joining, and when I did I received a fairly high-level description of the responsibilities. In general I felt I could do the job as I understood it with my experience, but I will say that the focus on the behavioral interviewing and the time that takes didn't give me as a candidate much information about the company, the role they will be assuming if hired and how it fits into the bigger picture, information about the rest of the team, etc. In general I had a positive feeling about the company based on available internet info and its good reputation, as well as my positive interactions with the interview team, but it's a good thing because no one did much promoting. The value of behavioral interviewing is great for the organization to make quality hires, but would also recommend putting a little more focus on those considering whether or not to join the company and seeing the interview process from their perspective as well. Often for experienced candidates, interviews are being conducted in both directions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions aren't difficult in and of themselves, but the fact that similar questions are asked in slightly different ways and you are supposed to have different scenarios each time is the tricky part.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

First phone interview lasted about an hour. He asked me to go through my resume chronologically. Then he asked some behavioral questions. 3 weeks later I was invited for a face to face interview which consisted of 3, 45-minute interviews with people from the QA department. People were very friendly and I had a good feeling about the job when I left.

Order Revenue Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

The in person interview is three hours long, you meet with 3 different people and go over 3 behavioral questions with each one. I was allowed to bring in examples in a notebook to source since it is such an intense situation. Overall they are making sure you have the behaviors they are looking for in a succesful employee.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for the department I chose

Training Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

The interview process was quick but thorough. The team of Recruiters were focused on the job opening and what key behaviors were needed to succeed within the role. It was nice to have someone to interpret the job description into plain English. I got the impression that they were really an equal advocate for the job seeker and the Company.
    The phone and in-person interview were behavior-based. The interviewers were very kind and explained the process well. There were no surprises.
    Advice: Read as many reviews on Glass Door as possible. You will learn a lot about the interview process. PREPARE! Prior to the interview, think of situations that you can talk about.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you didn't get buy-in from a peer.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate. We discussed start date and salary options. Agreement was met.Great process.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

A HR representative called a day after I submitted application to arrange an interview. I scheduled the interview for about a week later. He asked about 5 behavioral, star story type questions about dealing with teams, project management, and using analytics. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was about an ethical dilemma   Answer Question

Brand Management Interview

Contacted me via email to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was exactly as described by other reviewers. She started by having me go through my resume and then moved onto behavioral questions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

Applied through university job posting portal. Then a phone interview with HR Recruiter that lasted about 30-45 minutes. The second round consisted of 3 back to back interviews with managers at their St. Louis Office. They paid for all the expenses of flying to and back from St. Louis. Each second round interview consisted of 4 behavioral questions and you had to have different stories for each interview. So in total you needed 12 different stories/ examples. All of the interviews were behavioral. There weren't any technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Nestlé Purina PetCare?   View Answer

The company and people were great! I really wish I could have accepted the offer; however, I received another offer that was more in line with my career goals. I would definitely recommend this opportunity to everyone though.

Quality Assurance Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare in November 2014.

I applied online and received an email about a week later to set up a phone interview. The call was on time, the interviewer (an HR representative) was very friendly, and the process felt as comfortable as it could. The first few questions were all HR related (why are you interested in working for Purina, etc.), then we walked through my resume. The interviewer asked me two behavioral questions and sub-questions related to answers to the behavioral questions she'd asked. After we were finished with the behavioral portion, she gave me more information regarding salary, the program, and facilities.

A week and a half later I was notified that I had been chosen for a on-site interview. All expenses throughout the process were covered by Purina. The interview process took place over two days. On the first day, we were given a tour of the plant by a current and former trainee and received more information about the program in general. That night, we had dinner with current and former trainees and had the opportunity to get to know each other and ask questions about the position in an informal setting at a nice restaurant. Interviews were the following morning. There were four one-on-one interviews that ranged anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour long and consisted of behavioral questions and general conversation to get to know the interviewee. They followed a similar format to the phone interview and, honestly, I was surprised by how at ease I was throughout the interviews. The interviewers were very nice and genuine. After interviews, we had lunch with the interviewers and headed home.

Every employee I met seemed passionate about his or her work and so willing to help. It was a great interview process, and I left with an even better impression of the company than I had before!

Employment Branding Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare in November 2014.

I received a request for a phone interview within 8 minutes of submitting my application. My phone interview was set up for early the next week. The talent sourcing recruiter was very polite and explained the process. She was also helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I was informed that if I passed the phone interview, I would move on to the next stage, which would be a 3 hour interview on site. I was notified that the hiring manager wanted me to come in for an interview on-site within a couple of days.

The on-site interview lasted for 3 hours, and I met with four different individuals. Everyone was friendly, relaxed, and did a fantastic job of making me feel comfortable. They asked me 12 questions total, with follow up questions. I had felt that the first 2 hours went well, but I was pretty sure during the 3rd hour that I would not be offered the position. I was notified at 8 a.m. the next morning via email that I did not get the position.

Overall, the staff did a great job of making a 3 hour intensive interview feel relaxed. They are very speedy with their responses, and it is nice that they let you know either way, so that you can continue on your job search. I did ask for feedback, but the recruiter told me that she was not allowed to give it. I do wish that policy was different, especially in regards to interns. It could be very valuable for students who are recently graduated or about to graduate and will likely be participating in a lot of interviews. It isn't easy feedback to obtain, but it is so important for individual growth.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you were innovative and it led to a policy change.

This was a difficult question, because I had a list of almost 30 examples of when I did something innovative; however, only a couple of those led to a change in policy.

Answer Question

Operations Performance Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nestlé Purina PetCare.

I got contacted about a week after I applied online regarding setting up a time for a phone interview. This was done via email. The person whom I talked to was very nice and polite. We then set up the initial phone interview about a week later.

The phone call was on time. The interview was split up into sections. The interviewer explained the position and also described salary, benefits, and the environment of the company. We then moved on to reviewing my resume. Most questions involved describing previous work experiences and explaining why I had selected my career path. Simple. The next part involved behavioral based questions. Basic behavioral questions were asked and had to explain the situation, what I did and the outcome.