NetApp

257 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Interview Question – A question about search   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I only interviewed with the first team I was hired to work with. Conference room with all 4 team members in the dept. Interview lasted about an hour. They brought me onboard a week later.

Negotiation Details – I asked for a specific hourly rate and it was accepted first time around.

Security Software ENgineer Interview

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in January 2014.

Interview Details – Employee Referral:
1st Phone Interview : Very technical I barely made but the manager was very understanding
Wanted a indepth knowledge regarding socket programming and how it works in Kernel (skbuf ).
Some coding questions and OS questions
Onsite Interview:
1st Engineer:
Pointer arithmetic questions
Trie Data Structure for routing tables
Difference between pointer to const and const pointer and its uses
Designing Server client model
2nd Engineer
A lot of OS questions, memory management, synchronization issues and a puzzle in the end :)
OS questions (processes vs threads) , how does fork work, what happens if parent dies and virtual memory and stuff.
3rd Manager talk , what are your expectations and stuff
4th Engineer:
C coding on bitmask
Security concepts (SSL and stuff)
5th Engineer:
Was a lot unprepared and was always thinking what to ask and not.
Again socket programming and some bitmask questions and some C++ and pointers questions.

Overall good folks and good experience

3rd Round: Director
ARP Spoofing
SSL and security realted questions

I did manage to clear all interviews, but their was some kind of hiring freeze so they kept me on hold for ever :)

Interview Question – Puzzle   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – NetApp came to University of Pittsburgh Career Fair. Applied there itself. Got a mail in a couple of weeks scheduling me for phone interview. The interview touched all corners of CSE. Algorithms, Data Structures, C/C++, System level discussions on Segmentation and Paging, Storage/Database related questions. There was a routine round up of resume as well.

Interview Question – Tricky questions on paging and segmentation.   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – It took some to!e to get a response from my application, about a month. When I came in for the interview I was asked about is installs.

Negotiation Details – None

Engineering Support Systems Administrator II Interview

Morrisville, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in September 2013.

Interview Details – Responded to a recruiter's e-mail to the local Linux User's Group, 15 minute phone screen with the recruiter followed by a 1 hour in-person interview with manager and 3 senior team members, followed by a full tour and introductions by the hiring manager. Background check was a fiasco, as the background company reported that I did not graduate high school without contacting anyone for more information. Ultimate this was resolve by threat of lawsuit against the KnowX LLC, the background check company.

Interview Question – Nothing was particularly difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the contract terms, NetApp countered with a new contract for 25% more.

Software Engineer Interview

Cranberry, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through career fair on campus. HR contacted via email to schedule initial phone interview. Straightforward questions on OS concepts. Was asked to debug code. Heard back in a couple of days, was invited for an on site interview at their Cranberry office. Staff were very amicable and extremely friendly. 4 interviews in all, 3 technical, 1 with the manager based on my resume. All the interviews were pretty standard on OS concepts, code debugging, writing code, oops concepts and design. Heard back in three weeks. Received a mail with the offer. Process took about a month. Positive experience.

Interview Question – Condition variables in posix threads. Some questions about height balanced trees like AVL trees and red black trees. Nothing out of the blue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Still contemplating the offer.

Field Administrator Interview

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NetApp in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited/recommended by an internal employee. The interview process was lengthy, with 5 different individuals - but the process was fast! I was interviewed, received my offer and started within 3 weeks.

Interview Question – it has been over four years - I honestly don't remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasnt a negotiation - it was an offer...and take it or leave it.

Member of Technical Staff Automation Engineer Interview

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I applied online and I got call from manager to setup phone screen and I asked for on site interview after phone interview. People are very friendly and great culture.

Interview Question – Dyanamic memory allocation..   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – several rounds of interviews with the first being 4 hours long. Spoke with individuals in PM roles from different org groups as well as different market sectors within the org I was interviewing for. Last round of interviews was with Directors. The interview process from submittal of resume to the hire was almost 2.5 months long in my case. PM positions rarely open and when they do, resumes are taken the first week or two the req is open. The remainder of the time the req is open is spent interviewing that first two week's submitters and narrowing down the candidates for hire.

Interview Question – The focus of the interviews in my case were geared towards whether the team thought you would bring value to them as well as someone they could closely interact with on a daily basis. The open-ended "tell me about yourself/your background?" was the hardest for me to answer because I didn't know where to start...suggest you keep focused and speak to your star attributes that you know the company can benefit from.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at NetApp

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!

NetApp Videos

NetApp – Why Work for Us?

At NetApp, your expertise is what drives our growing success NetApp is the ideal place to give your career a boost. Our global setting highly values and fosters a healthy and happy work-life balance. Plus, our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NetApp interview questions and advice. All 257 interview reviews posted anonymously by NetApp employees and interview candidates.