NetApp Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at NetApp.

Interview

Technical interview with the VP. It was a 40 + minute interview and mostly technical.. Started with an overview of the job description and responsibilities and the questions on my background and relevant experience.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my projects and experience, questions about what trends I see in technology   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate at this point.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Research Triangle Park, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

First I had a brief phone interview with the hiring manager. He mainly asked questions about my resume and experience. He also asked about my study abroad experience. Then I was invited to an onsite interview that lasted 2 hours. When I came for my onsite interview, I was met in the lobby by my first interviewer and taken to the interview room. The room had a couple whiteboards and I was encouraged to use them during the interview. I interviewed with 3 people on the team that I would be working with. The first person I interviewed with was a manager and the other 2 were Engineers. The interviews were very behavioral and I was encouraged to ask questions. They asked me questions for the first half and I asked them questions for the second half. It was a very enjoyable and relaxed interview. I learned a lot about the team I would be working with, the company culture, and the job I would be doing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you worked on a team to build a piece of software?
      Tell me about a time that you had to learn a programming language that you didn't know (without professional instruction)? How did you go about learning the language? What resources did you use?
      Tell me how you would write a function/method that would take a subnet mask as a parameter and return the number of hosts the subnet could support if 2 of the IP addresses were reserved?

Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with about six or seven people, and many of them didn't seem to be enjoying their job. One of them who really didn't seem at all excited about his job even told me to apply to this other company because it would be a better way to start my career. Overall, most of the people were friendly, but didn't give me the impression to want to work there.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you made a mistake, and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Originally came in contact through a recruiter at a career fair. Initially, a phone screen reviewing my resume and providing some details about the project. Then, three onsite interviews spanning two hours with three different members of the team. Questions were mostly situational and gauging problem-solving and key software engineering concepts. The offer came a few days after the onsite interviews. Everyone involved was kind and clearly excited about the project and team.

Interview Questions

• Explain the concept of model-view-controller and how you might apply it to a project.   Answer Question

Project Management/Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in March 2015.

Interview

The process took around a month. I had applied through employee referral. Got the call for one 45 minute phone screen interview with one of the team members of the group. After that I got the call for three other 45 minute phone interviews with other members of the team. After one week of wait time, I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging question was- One of the concepts was chosen from my projects in my resume and I was asked about the approach I would take for a similar situation in their team's work processes.   1 Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the got a call a couple weeks later for a phone interview. I thought everything went well but when they took 3 weeks to tell me if I had moved on to the next round, I realized the outcome wouldn't be positive. Finally got a call back and my suspicions were confirmed. I wish they had communicated a little more timely and professionally.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and weaknesses? A time you had eard no. basic interview questions   1 Answer

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NetApp.

Interview

Phone call followed by onsite. Nothing interesting. They asked questions that are not related to the job position.
    Its easy to get a job here, no surprises.

In a stream of integers from 1 to n, only one number will be repeated. How can you tell what that number is?

pay sucks

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at NetApp.

Interview

Nothing technical, super friendly. They aren't expecting you to know everything as an intern. I felt like it was more of a "get to know more about the company" rather than an interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

On campus interview. The interviewer was very kind, and asked some basic data structure questions, which are very simple. Then I got the phone interview with some concurrency and operating system questions, and discussed about my resume. Because I didn't know answer one of the question, I failed the phone interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Wichita, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through university career fare and was asked by them to apply online too to fasten the process. 3 days later I got an email asking for my availability for a phone interview. Phone interview was with one of the team members of their software development team. After phone interview, I was called to their Wichita site for 3 rounds of interviews. 4 days later received a call from them offering me the summer intern position.
    Overall process was smooth, interviewers were very friendly. I was a bit nervous before the interview, but their friendly behavior made me comfortable.