NetApp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at NetApp in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted on LinkedIn by a company recruiter for about this position. I replied with interest. I received a call from the recruiter that briefly confirmed my experiences in regards to the position requirements. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager a couple days later. The phone interview by the hiring manager was a discussion about the opportunity and how my skills might be a good fit. We scheduled an in-person interview a couple days later. The in-person interviews consisted of 2.5 hours of 5 back-to-back interviews from different people on the team. They consisted of mainly scenario based white board questions. "How would you do this?" type of scenarios.

Interview Question – Can you tell us something about yourself related to development that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

MTS3 Senior Software Engineer Interview

MTS3 Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I did not have to interview for my position since our division was acquired. However, I have interviewed several candidates as part of my job. Many interviews will consist of an initial 30-minute screening (usually via phone) to ascertain if the candidate in fact matches the resume, has no real communications issues and is interested in the job. If so, an on-site interview (4-8 hours, depending on position) is conducted (NetApp usually pays transportation). Most interviews at my level consist of three or four sets of questions, asked by different interviewers, that overlap some and allow corroboration of results in interviewer follow-ups. This allows more accurate assessment and different insights into the candidate. Candidates are rated based on answers, attitude, and overall perceived fit into the NetApp culture.

Interview Question – Aside from technical questions, some of the questions we ask are related to how the candidate interacts with other people on a professional level. It's good to show up having given some thought to specific previous projects and how interactions with other people contributed to the success or failure of the project, how the candidate handles uncomfortable interpersonal situations, best performances, worst performances, etc. These types of questions usually make up about a third of the overall set.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation involved due to division purchase...only had accept/reject offer.

MTS-eps Interview

MTS-eps
Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in March 2014.

Interview Details – phone interview - few technical and OS questions
onsite - mostly logical puzzles and OS questions.... questions on resume, sorting

Software Engineer - New College Graduate Interview

Software Engineer - New College Graduate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Masters in Computer Engineering.
Applied online. HR emailed to setup interview asking for suitable dates and sent a form to fill asking for details. Did not reply for a week confirming the date and time so I assumed I did not pass pre screening. Just 2 days before the date of interview I had selected, I get an email from a different HR asking me to confirm the selected date. The position description asked for strong background in thread/kernel programming and C++. Since the team I was interviewing with was WAFL, I prepared for memory management and file systems.

The interview was a call with a senior engineer from the team. He just started off without any talk whatsoever and jumped right into the resume to get some background. He briefly went over my projects to see whether he should waste his time over me. He was mainly interested in synchronization constructs which I did not have a very good background of. Few questions about when to use mutex, semaphores etc and why. Few questions about C++, some about cache coherency. As a masters student, I was embarrassed at times when he kept digging deeper. Overall, I blew it. The interview that was supposed to go for 30 mins ended in 20 mins. Not hopeful of getting called for the second round interview.

Interview Question – 1. Size of a pointer. What does it depend on?
2. If a data member is declared as static in a class (C++) and more than two processors are trying to modify it at the same time, what exactly happens? How to handle it?
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Interview Question – A question about search   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I only interviewed with the first team I was hired to work with. Conference room with all 4 team members in the dept. Interview lasted about an hour. They brought me onboard a week later.

Negotiation Details – I asked for a specific hourly rate and it was accepted first time around.

Security Software Engineer Interview

Security Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in January 2014.

Interview Details – Employee Referral:
1st Phone Interview : Very technical I barely made but the manager was very understanding
Wanted a indepth knowledge regarding socket programming and how it works in Kernel (skbuf ).
Some coding questions and OS questions
Onsite Interview:
1st Engineer:
Pointer arithmetic questions
Trie Data Structure for routing tables
Difference between pointer to const and const pointer and its uses
Designing Server client model
2nd Engineer
A lot of OS questions, memory management, synchronization issues and a puzzle in the end :)
OS questions (processes vs threads) , how does fork work, what happens if parent dies and virtual memory and stuff.
3rd Manager talk , what are your expectations and stuff
4th Engineer:
C coding on bitmask
Security concepts (SSL and stuff)
5th Engineer:
Was a lot unprepared and was always thinking what to ask and not.
Again socket programming and some bitmask questions and some C++ and pointers questions.

Overall good folks and good experience

3rd Round: Director
ARP Spoofing
SSL and security realted questions

I did manage to clear all interviews, but their was some kind of hiring freeze so they kept me on hold for ever :)

Interview Question – Puzzle   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – NetApp came to University of Pittsburgh Career Fair. Applied there itself. Got a mail in a couple of weeks scheduling me for phone interview. The interview touched all corners of CSE. Algorithms, Data Structures, C/C++, System level discussions on Segmentation and Paging, Storage/Database related questions. There was a routine round up of resume as well.

Interview Question – Tricky questions on paging and segmentation.   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Lab Technician

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – It took some to!e to get a response from my application, about a month. When I came in for the interview I was asked about is installs.

Negotiation Details – None

Engineering Support Systems Administrator II Interview

Engineering Support Systems Administrator II
Morrisville, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in September 2013.

Interview Details – Responded to a recruiter's e-mail to the local Linux User's Group, 15 minute phone screen with the recruiter followed by a 1 hour in-person interview with manager and 3 senior team members, followed by a full tour and introductions by the hiring manager. Background check was a fiasco, as the background company reported that I did not graduate high school without contacting anyone for more information. Ultimate this was resolve by threat of lawsuit against the KnowX LLC, the background check company.

Interview Question – Nothing was particularly difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the contract terms, NetApp countered with a new contract for 25% more.