NetApp

291 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Program Manager Interview

Technical Program Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in February 2010.

Interview Details – Interview processes started with one quick telephone interview. Followed by an on site interview with four different people. A second on site interview with two more people. Offer came a few days later.
Lots of repeat questions from different people. Seemed like a bit overkill to have so many to interview with. Later on I came to realize at least two of the people I would never interface with.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions were asked. The interviewers only asked about my background and work experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was great and didn't require consideration. I did how ever set the expectations for a flexible work environment and came to an agreement with the hiring manager.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at NetApp in February 2010.

Interview Details – Slow and tedious with multiple interviews with people who are not relevant to the job. Decision made by consensus and not based on skill set. The process took over 6 months and was drawn out by people not knowing what the interview job was for.

Interview Question – What type of tree am i   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Tedious

MTS2 Interview

MTS2
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for a new college grad position. I had interview for about 4 hours with 4 different people. Everyone was interested in what i did before in my internships and my grad level projects. This completed the first round of interviews. I then had a second round of phone calls with the manager and tech lead for 2 hrs each, after which they confirmed my job.

Interview Question – Expect algorithm questions. Also, be 100% sure on what is in your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiable. Look for sign on bonus.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at NetApp

Interview Details – The internal staffing person will perform a quick phone screen. This takes about 15 minutes. Then the hiring manager will perform a phone screen which will touch on technical questions as well as cultural fit questions. If you get through that, an senior engineer will do another phone screen. This will be very technical and actually writing code. Once you get pass all that they will invite you to a on-site. This will be mostly technical and will be talking to the hiring manager as well as 2-3 engineers.

Interview Question – Write code to reverse a linked list   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

Technical Support Engineer II

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Extremely high technical interview lasting about 2.5hrs, a lot is expected from candidate, hr was unwilling to budge on low salary, bonus touted to be 8-10% annually hut it was absolutely false. Highest bonuses for any TSE is 1-3%. Disappointing because hr lies.

Interview Question – The entire interview is very taxing. White boarding, hypothetical scenarios, multiple very sr level engineers pressuring you as if it is a interrogation, role playing of angry customers, expect detail answers, based on your experience the interview will be more difficult and details expected, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at NetApp in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted on LinkedIn by a company recruiter for about this position. I replied with interest. I received a call from the recruiter that briefly confirmed my experiences in regards to the position requirements. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager a couple days later. The phone interview by the hiring manager was a discussion about the opportunity and how my skills might be a good fit. We scheduled an in-person interview a couple days later. The in-person interviews consisted of 2.5 hours of 5 back-to-back interviews from different people on the team. They consisted of mainly scenario based white board questions. "How would you do this?" type of scenarios.

Interview Question – Can you tell us something about yourself related to development that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

MTS3 Senior Software Engineer Interview

MTS3 Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I did not have to interview for my position since our division was acquired. However, I have interviewed several candidates as part of my job. Many interviews will consist of an initial 30-minute screening (usually via phone) to ascertain if the candidate in fact matches the resume, has no real communications issues and is interested in the job. If so, an on-site interview (4-8 hours, depending on position) is conducted (NetApp usually pays transportation). Most interviews at my level consist of three or four sets of questions, asked by different interviewers, that overlap some and allow corroboration of results in interviewer follow-ups. This allows more accurate assessment and different insights into the candidate. Candidates are rated based on answers, attitude, and overall perceived fit into the NetApp culture.

Interview Question – Aside from technical questions, some of the questions we ask are related to how the candidate interacts with other people on a professional level. It's good to show up having given some thought to specific previous projects and how interactions with other people contributed to the success or failure of the project, how the candidate handles uncomfortable interpersonal situations, best performances, worst performances, etc. These types of questions usually make up about a third of the overall set.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation involved due to division purchase...only had accept/reject offer.

MTS-eps Interview

MTS-eps
Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in March 2014.

Interview Details – phone interview - few technical and OS questions
onsite - mostly logical puzzles and OS questions.... questions on resume, sorting

Software Engineer - New College Graduate Interview

Software Engineer - New College Graduate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Masters in Computer Engineering.
Applied online. HR emailed to setup interview asking for suitable dates and sent a form to fill asking for details. Did not reply for a week confirming the date and time so I assumed I did not pass pre screening. Just 2 days before the date of interview I had selected, I get an email from a different HR asking me to confirm the selected date. The position description asked for strong background in thread/kernel programming and C++. Since the team I was interviewing with was WAFL, I prepared for memory management and file systems.

The interview was a call with a senior engineer from the team. He just started off without any talk whatsoever and jumped right into the resume to get some background. He briefly went over my projects to see whether he should waste his time over me. He was mainly interested in synchronization constructs which I did not have a very good background of. Few questions about when to use mutex, semaphores etc and why. Few questions about C++, some about cache coherency. As a masters student, I was embarrassed at times when he kept digging deeper. Overall, I blew it. The interview that was supposed to go for 30 mins ended in 20 mins. Not hopeful of getting called for the second round interview.

Interview Question – 1. Size of a pointer. What does it depend on?
2. If a data member is declared as static in a class (C++) and more than two processors are trying to modify it at the same time, what exactly happens? How to handle it?
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Interview Question – A question about search   Answer Question