NetApp

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.1

MTS3 Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at NetApp.

I did not have to interview for my position since our division was acquired. However, I have interviewed several candidates as part of my job. Many interviews will consist of an initial 30-minute screening (usually via phone) to ascertain if the candidate in fact matches the resume, has no real communications issues and is interested in the job. If so, an on-site interview (4-8 hours, depending on position) is conducted (NetApp usually pays transportation). Most interviews at my level consist of three or four sets of questions, asked by different interviewers, that overlap some and allow corroboration of results in interviewer follow-ups. This allows more accurate assessment and different insights into the candidate. Candidates are rated based on answers, attitude, and overall perceived fit into the NetApp culture.

Interview Questions
    • Aside from technical questions, some of the questions we ask are related to how the candidate interacts with other people on a professional level. It's good to show up having given some thought to specific previous projects and how interactions with other people contributed to the success or failure of the project, how the candidate handles uncomfortable interpersonal situations, best performances, worst performances, etc. These types of questions usually make up about a third of the overall set.   Answer Question
    No negotiation involved due to division purchase...only had accept/reject offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NetApp in May 2014.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a company recruiter for about this position. I replied with interest. I received a call from the recruiter that briefly confirmed my experiences in regards to the position requirements. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager a couple days later. The phone interview by the hiring manager was a discussion about the opportunity and how my skills might be a good fit. We scheduled an in-person interview a couple days later. The in-person interviews consisted of 2.5 hours of 5 back-to-back interviews from different people on the team. They consisted of mainly scenario based white board questions. "How would you do this?" type of scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us something about yourself related to development that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New College Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NetApp.

Masters in Computer Engineering.
    Applied online. HR emailed to setup interview asking for suitable dates and sent a form to fill asking for details. Did not reply for a week confirming the date and time so I assumed I did not pass pre screening. Just 2 days before the date of interview I had selected, I get an email from a different HR asking me to confirm the selected date. The position description asked for strong background in thread/kernel programming and C++. Since the team I was interviewing with was WAFL, I prepared for memory management and file systems.

The interview was a call with a senior engineer from the team. He just started off without any talk whatsoever and jumped right into the resume to get some background. He briefly went over my projects to see whether he should waste his time over me. He was mainly interested in synchronization constructs which I did not have a very good background of. Few questions about when to use mutex, semaphores etc and why. Few questions about C++, some about cache coherency. As a masters student, I was embarrassed at times when he kept digging deeper. Overall, I blew it. The interview that was supposed to go for 30 mins ended in 20 mins. Not hopeful of getting called for the second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Size of a pointer. What does it depend on?
      2. If a data member is declared as static in a class (C++) and more than two processors are trying to modify it at the same time, what exactly happens? How to handle it?

Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetApp.

I only interviewed with the first team I was hired to work with. Conference room with all 4 team members in the dept. Interview lasted about an hour. They brought me onboard a week later.

I asked for a specific hourly rate and it was accepted first time around.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
    Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
    Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
    Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
    Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
    Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
    Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NetApp.

NetApp came to University of Pittsburgh Career Fair. Applied there itself. Got a mail in a couple of weeks scheduling me for phone interview. The interview touched all corners of CSE. Algorithms, Data Structures, C/C++, System level discussions on Segmentation and Paging, Storage/Database related questions. There was a routine round up of resume as well.

Lab Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp.

It took some to!e to get a response from my application, about a month. When I came in for the interview I was asked about is installs.

None

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Interview process started out with communications with their corporate recruiter. That interaction initially was good but the follow through was horrible. The Scheduler was awesome and stayed on task and kept me very well informed. I was interviewed by multiple people that were all Director level or above and from a broad swath of the organization. There were Sales, Technical, Operations and Executive involved. Overall the interview process was better than expected and well thought out and engaging.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about the current state of Technology and where does NetApp fit in your views?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp.

I applied online and I got call from manager to setup phone screen and I asked for on site interview after phone interview. People are very friendly and great culture.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NetApp.

several rounds of interviews with the first being 4 hours long. Spoke with individuals in PM roles from different org groups as well as different market sectors within the org I was interviewing for. Last round of interviews was with Directors. The interview process from submittal of resume to the hire was almost 2.5 months long in my case. PM positions rarely open and when they do, resumes are taken the first week or two the req is open. The remainder of the time the req is open is spent interviewing that first two week's submitters and narrowing down the candidates for hire.

Interview Questions
    • The focus of the interviews in my case were geared towards whether the team thought you would bring value to them as well as someone they could closely interact with on a daily basis. The open-ended "tell me about yourself/your background?" was the hardest for me to answer because I didn't know where to start...suggest you keep focused and speak to your star attributes that you know the company can benefit from.   Answer Question