NetApp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Cranberry, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through career fair on campus. HR contacted via email to schedule initial phone interview. Straightforward questions on OS concepts. Was asked to debug code. Heard back in a couple of days, was invited for an on site interview at their Cranberry office. Staff were very amicable and extremely friendly. 4 interviews in all, 3 technical, 1 with the manager based on my resume. All the interviews were pretty standard on OS concepts, code debugging, writing code, oops concepts and design. Heard back in three weeks. Received a mail with the offer. Process took about a month. Positive experience.

Interview Question – Condition variables in posix threads. Some questions about height balanced trees like AVL trees and red black trees. Nothing out of the blue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Still contemplating the offer.

Field Administrator Interview

Field Administrator
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NetApp in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited/recommended by an internal employee. The interview process was lengthy, with 5 different individuals - but the process was fast! I was interviewed, received my offer and started within 3 weeks.

Interview Question – it has been over four years - I honestly don't remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasnt a negotiation - it was an offer...and take it or leave it.

Member of Technical Staff Automation Engineer Interview

Member of Technical Staff Automation Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I applied online and I got call from manager to setup phone screen and I asked for on site interview after phone interview. People are very friendly and great culture.

Interview Question – Dyanamic memory allocation..   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

MBA Intern

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – The interview process was very simple and straight forward. I got interview call after submitting my resume through a contact and had visited the campus a few time before. The interviewer was a PM with 10 years of experience. The first interview started off by conversations about his role and my background. He told what he liked about my past experience and what I should expect at NetApp. After a few minutes of random talk, the interviewer started the formal process by asking questions very specific to my resume and asking me to explain in detail each and every piece of information on my resume. After about 25 minutes of interview, he asked me if I had any questions for him. I had done my research and asked very specific questions related to his role and culture at NetApp. Got a call for second round of interview, which was totally informal and I kind of knew from that conversation that I had got the offer.

Interview Question – The best tool you have worked on and its details   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – several rounds of interviews with the first being 4 hours long. Spoke with individuals in PM roles from different org groups as well as different market sectors within the org I was interviewing for. Last round of interviews was with Directors. The interview process from submittal of resume to the hire was almost 2.5 months long in my case. PM positions rarely open and when they do, resumes are taken the first week or two the req is open. The remainder of the time the req is open is spent interviewing that first two week's submitters and narrowing down the candidates for hire.

Interview Question – The focus of the interviews in my case were geared towards whether the team thought you would bring value to them as well as someone they could closely interact with on a daily basis. The open-ended "tell me about yourself/your background?" was the hardest for me to answer because I didn't know where to start...suggest you keep focused and speak to your star attributes that you know the company can benefit from.   Answer Question

Professional Services Engineer Interview

Professional Services Engineer
East Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in June 2010.

Interview Details – Rigorous interview with 4 different people taking about a half day. NetApp does a good job of determining not only skill sets but how well of a company fit. Overall it was a good experience and made me feel good about working for the company.

Negotiation Details – Offer was fair from beginning

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Software Engineering Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in March 2010.

Interview Details – An internal employee passed along my resume to the hiring manager. The manager did an initial phone screen to check for fit. After the screen, I received email that the company would like to proceed forward, and the company HR recruiter got engaged into the process. An onsite all-day interview was scheduled, and I talked to 6 folks ranging from engineers to managers. Some questions were about various project & people situations, and how I would manage them. Other questions explored my past project experiences and architectures of the products/systems I worked on. There were some technical questions, where a hi-level understanding of the concept was the expected answer.
About a week after the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me and inquired salary expectations in order to draft up an offer. After a few more days, a formal verbal offer was presented.
I think leveraging the internal referral channel was the key to getting the initial contact.
Overall, the entire process went relatively smoothly.

Interview Question – There was no question that I deemed unexpected or most difficult. But the questions that drilled into specific details of my past projects made me pause to gather my memory before I could answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I shared my expected range and the HR recruiter took that info to draft the formal offer. There was no real back-n-forth negotiation that occurred.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I applied online and I got the call for phone interview. The phone interview was a techinical round. It focused heavily on the data structures and heavily on API questions. Although its a sr. level role the questions were framed for college level schools.

Interview Question – 1. How does arraylist work internally in java? if you were to implement array list how would you implement. Collections interface implementations and its differences. Whats the difference between set and list interface. Is Hashlist a thread safe or not.
2. Is there time difference in the array list is accessed, if the index is to the begining vs last.
3. How does HashMAp? Deep discussions about that, as well as HashMaps internal implementation details of O(n).
  View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Pleasanton, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in February 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was strictly behavioral; follow up interview was scheduled to be with a team but the team decided not to follow up with the interview.

Interview Question – Strictly behavioral, the interviewer goes through and asks questions regarding any major work experience you may have, or any major projects you have been working on.   Answer Question

Technical Intern Interview

Technical Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NetApp in February 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume during an information session on campus. They called me to setup a telephone interview with the NIC/Switches team. The interview lasted 30 minutes,

Interview Question – Asked a few questions on basic OS (mutexes, semaphores, drivers, etc.) and then moved on to some concepts in C   Answer Question