NetApp

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

3.1

Inside Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in July 2013.

I applied online and was contacted three weeks later. I started with a phone screening with one of their recruiters.

Two way conversation lasting about 30 minutes:
    - Tell me about your background and your success
    - Why are you looking for a new opportunity

15 minute conversation based on opening
    - General overview of position (s) being hired for and why
    - Q&A on position and management
    - My interest level in proceeding / salary requirement
    - Light discussion on next step

I was contacted three days later to proceed to the next step.

Interview Questions
    • The next step in the process was to talk with one of the hiring managers over the phone. I ended up with three on the phone which I thought was great. To most sales oriented folks that won't matter but it may intimidate some; so I'm noting it.

30 minutes exactly

1. What does your current employer do - not to sure I understand? (They didn't do any research).
      2. How has your experience been with your current employer? (They didn't talk to the recruiter I spent 50 minutes on the phone with, i.e., experience, successes, reason for looking for a new opportunity, etc.)
      3. What did you do to prepare for your interview today? What do you know about NetApp? How did you find out about the position - why do you want to work here?
      4. Do you want to close deals? Do you want to be involved from "cradle to grave"? I was applying for and had been screened for a quota carrying sales position. It was very weird to be asked that.

They mentioned that there would be some role playing at the end of the call, which I was delighted to hear. That never happened.

Most difficult questions I asked them:

1. How do you evaluate and manage the person in the position? I got two responses. One right away based on how information is documented in their CRM and how they run reports to look at that. I asked the same question another way and got the answer I needed to decide if I'd enjoy working under/with them.

2. I see one of your competitors put out an article last week which highlights a negative aspect to your business model, and the statistic of the market share (your share) they are capturing and why. They are growing expediently. How does it resonate with you and where your technology is headed to compete? How are you prepping your sales force? They didn't answer the questions. That says a lot.

They didn't familiarize themselves with my professional background prior to the call. They didn't ask a single question about my current area of expertise (target market). The business sectors they were hiring for have been my focus the last three years; working directly with the CIO's at those leading organizations.

I contacted the recruiter the same day and politely declined to go further in the interview process. While they seemed nice enough (the three managers), I am a fairly good judge of character and I look for more than nice. I could not see where they'd offer me anything more than what I get today. They didn't bother to differentiate themselves or NetApp to me. I was very shocked. The interview goes both ways just like business, and from what I experienced one thing comes to mind, "like marketing, interviewing is not one size fits all".

One last note that might be of interest. They hire in RTP for time zones. If you want a standard schedule of 8am - 5pm, you'll have to ask for an east coast territory; otherwise your options (besides 8-5) from what I understood are are 9-6 and 10-7 (of course if they are still hiring ISR's for each time zone).

Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at NetApp.

The HR emailed me and scheduled an initial ten minute screening interview. I waited for an hour but she didn't call. So I sent her an email hoping to receive a response. She emailed me 3 days later and rescheduled.
    The initial screening was a rapid fire question round with basic questions from all topics ( Networks, OS, Algos)- IPv4 address size, NP vs P which is harder etc.
    The second round was supposed to be an hour long. They forgot to call again. After I emailed them, I received a call an hour late. By this time i was completely frustrated and even though the questions were very easy, I screwed it up.
    Started with HR questions- Strength, Weaknesses, Idol, Why technology, When can you join, Are you currently holding on to any other offers/interviewing elsewhere etc.
    Basic Technical Questions - Difference between TCP/UDP, C vs Java, What are the routing protocols etc.
    It was a good opportunity but was a disappointing experience for me. Partly because of how i didn't answer well and partly because of how they kept forgetting to call.

Interview Questions
    • As I said, nothing particularly hard. Definitely possible to clear initial rounds with fundamental knowledge from your Comp Sci degree program.   Answer Question

Program Manager - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at NetApp.

I skipped the interview process as a contractor. The HR department is pretty well organized at NetApp, so I expect the standard interviewing process.

Always negotiate. I had special circumstances around my offer, in that I already worked for the company as a contractor, so I wasn't able to negotiate this time around.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NetApp.

2 phone interview and then onsite, questions are all related to OS, quit simple.

Member of Technical Staff In Engineering Product Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NetApp in May 2013.

This was the most interesting interview experience I have ever had. Writing a painfully long review as I think those who will make it to the end of this long review are the ones who have a very good chance of getting through :)

NetApp is a very reputed company and this must be(I am assuming) one of the rare cases, maybe.

The other day I got an email from the HR regarding this position and inquiring about my availability for a 10 minute technical screen. I sent her a few timings and then it was confirmed for one particular date.

And guess what ! she did *NOT* call. After waiting for about half an hour, I left her a voice mail and also sent an email asking if she wants to reschedule. NO Reply. Sent another email after a couple of days. NO Reply ! Following day, I thought this is so unfair. So, I called her up on her office number in the morning and she picked up. I reminded her about the scheduled call. She said she was busy in a meeting. Really ? Wouldn't it be nice to drop a quick message to the candidate who must be waiting anxiously besides his phone for the call ? I can understand that one may have forgotten or been busy due to some reason. But did you also not get my voice mail or my emails ?

Anyways, Then she asked if I have time for a 10 minute technical screen. I said sure!! and gave an interview right away. Never before in my life did I call up an interviewer to conduct my own interview. :) She then asked me to wait for a minute so that she can grab her "list of questions". Wow ! :D

I answered most of the questions correctly, not all. They were pretty basic, some networking related stuff like number if bits in IPv4/IPv6 and then Filesystem, inodes etc. The final question was about a binary tree and just for clarification, I asked her if it is a complete binary tree. She said.. "I am not sure, I am not a technical person". Epic ! right ? :)

Anyways, so at the end of the interview, she told me that I have done well and will be contacted again to schedule next round of telephonic interview. She *did* actually contact me and it was setup at a date about a week later from the first call and the interviewer *did* call me at the given time. Lucky me !

Again, the interviewer(Product Support Manager) didn't tell me much about himself, besides his name the company he works with :). Useful Info ! After I talked a little bit about my background, he started asking questions from his own list :D, seriously. The initial questions were typical boring behavioral questions like -- what are your 3 strengths, 3 weaknesses, role model, dream job, 3 reasons you want to work for NetApp, 3 reasons why NetApp should hire you etc. I am sure he got those from some website, minutes before the interview. Then came some technical questions like what are 3 differences between C and C++, 3 differences between malloc and calloc, 3 differences between TCP & IP. 3 must be his lucky number.

Anyways, after he ran out of questions(from his list) he said -- that's it and the HR will get back to me. He didn't even have the courtesy to ask me if I had any questions for him.

After sending out a couple of follow-up mails in the next week I finally got a reply saying they think that my *background doesn't match* with their requirements. Fair enough, because, It actually doesn't, as I have been a developer for years :D. To be honest, this is not a case of "sour grapes". I wanted to take this as just a practice interview and I thought I would learn at least a couple of things from it.

I did, and the takeaway was "to remain calm" in such situations and with such interviewers. And also, Be prepared with 3 answers to any darn question :).

For those, who have made it so patiently till the end of this review, I have good news for you ! If you are going to interview for this particular position and with the same people(Nothing personal), It's gonna be a cake walk. Good luck !

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetApp in May 2013.

Resume based interview and normal C questions

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at NetApp.

Thorough, well structured, covered job specifics, as well as behavioral "what would you do" scenarios. Intense, quite a few interviews, however, everyone was pleasant, considerate, engaging and quite welcoming. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, though it seemed like it might never end. Appreciated and was pleasantly surprised at how interested each interviewer was in who I am outside of my professional mantle.

No negotiation.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NetApp.

I got the interview through a career fair on campus. I was flown up to their headquarters where they had a whole interview day planned. About 30 candidates attended.
    It started out with a presentation about the company. Then there where three 45 minutes long interviews back to back. Almost all questions were behavioral. Everyone was very friendly and the company culture seems laid back and fun. Typical Silicon Valley company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected, except for that there were basically almost no technical questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetApp in April 2013.

They contact you over phone for a moderate screening. I was a former employee at NetApp and i was applying for a graduate intern position.

I have been interviewed both at RTP and Sunnyvale campus for two different teams. The culture is the hiring manager tries to get as many engineers from his team or occasionally other closely working teams to interview you.

There were 6 interviews for me:
    1. Analytical and basic programming
    2. Scripting like perl/python
    3. Data storage knowledge is add-on. iSCSI, flash, storage stack, disk drivers
    4. File System and OS knowledge is required.

Interview Questions
    • They may ask you general stuffs too. Like puzzles. And being a former employee, i have seen that asking puzzles or brain storming programming questions can be fairly expected. But the interviewers are lenient on your performance, they don't grill u or judge your IQ.   Answer Question

I got another offer from Vmware

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in April 2013.

I originally got my resume seen at a career fair at my university. I had already applied for a few positions in the company, with little movement on my submissions. After meeting with the recruiter, I was sent an email gauging my interest in a job that I had not applied to, but went ahead with the interview process anyway. However this role is mainly cold calling. They are looking for individuals with proven track records at cold calling, not just any sales experience.

The first step in the interview process was a series of phone conversations that were more of "here is what we do, this is how we do it, this is the layout of the companies sales teams, this is what to expect". The first interview was mostly about knowing the job and its responsibilities on a very simple level. The second phone call was actually one to identify the pay structure and the compensation package for all SDR's.

After these two interviews, a panel interview was scheduled. The panel consisted of about 5 people (Inside Sales Representatives) who all simply touched on the more personal aspects of the fit. They mainly wanted to know about my experiences in sales and how that was going to help me succeed. The panel was very friendly and personable, not something that is uncommon for NetApp. Be prepared with references if they are not already on your resume, as it seemed like tried and true sales numbers spoke louder than non commission sales roles. They want to bring in a proven telephone sales representative, as I mentioned that it was a predominately cold calling role.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to call your boss, would he say you were the best salesman he's got?   Answer Question