NetApp

280 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Was fast paced and quick. 5-6 interview rounds are expected. Good technical skills are necessary however culture fit is primary. Hiring was smooth and fast.

Interview Question – Business: Talk about a scenario when you had a difficult team member who was a bottleneck in the successful execution of your project and how did you handle the same?
Technical: Who do you think will win the Converged Infrastructure battle and why? What should NetApp do to succeed in this product battle?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 10% hike in salary base
RSU extension
Bonus extension

Member of Technical Staff I Interview

Member of Technical Staff I

I applied online and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – The HR emailed me and scheduled an initial ten minute screening interview. I waited for an hour but she didn't call. So I sent her an email hoping to receive a response. She emailed me 3 days later and rescheduled.
The initial screening was a rapid fire question round with basic questions from all topics ( Networks, OS, Algos)- IPv4 address size, NP vs P which is harder etc.
The second round was supposed to be an hour long. They forgot to call again. After I emailed them, I received a call an hour late. By this time i was completely frustrated and even though the questions were very easy, I screwed it up.
Started with HR questions- Strength, Weaknesses, Idol, Why technology, When can you join, Are you currently holding on to any other offers/interviewing elsewhere etc.
Basic Technical Questions - Difference between TCP/UDP, C vs Java, What are the routing protocols etc.
It was a good opportunity but was a disappointing experience for me. Partly because of how i didn't answer well and partly because of how they kept forgetting to call.

Interview Question – As I said, nothing particularly hard. Definitely possible to clear initial rounds with fundamental knowledge from your Comp Sci degree program.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Member of Technical Staff In Engineering Product Support Interview

Member of Technical Staff In Engineering Product Support

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in May 2013.

Interview Details – This was the most interesting interview experience I have ever had. Writing a painfully long review as I think those who will make it to the end of this long review are the ones who have a very good chance of getting through :)

NetApp is a very reputed company and this must be(I am assuming) one of the rare cases, maybe.

The other day I got an email from the HR regarding this position and inquiring about my availability for a 10 minute technical screen. I sent her a few timings and then it was confirmed for one particular date.

And guess what ! she did *NOT* call. After waiting for about half an hour, I left her a voice mail and also sent an email asking if she wants to reschedule. NO Reply. Sent another email after a couple of days. NO Reply ! Following day, I thought this is so unfair. So, I called her up on her office number in the morning and she picked up. I reminded her about the scheduled call. She said she was busy in a meeting. Really ? Wouldn't it be nice to drop a quick message to the candidate who must be waiting anxiously besides his phone for the call ? I can understand that one may have forgotten or been busy due to some reason. But did you also not get my voice mail or my emails ?

Anyways, Then she asked if I have time for a 10 minute technical screen. I said sure!! and gave an interview right away. Never before in my life did I call up an interviewer to conduct my own interview. :) She then asked me to wait for a minute so that she can grab her "list of questions". Wow ! :D

I answered most of the questions correctly, not all. They were pretty basic, some networking related stuff like number if bits in IPv4/IPv6 and then Filesystem, inodes etc. The final question was about a binary tree and just for clarification, I asked her if it is a complete binary tree. She said.. "I am not sure, I am not a technical person". Epic ! right ? :)

Anyways, so at the end of the interview, she told me that I have done well and will be contacted again to schedule next round of telephonic interview. She *did* actually contact me and it was setup at a date about a week later from the first call and the interviewer *did* call me at the given time. Lucky me !

Again, the interviewer(Product Support Manager) didn't tell me much about himself, besides his name the company he works with :). Useful Info ! After I talked a little bit about my background, he started asking questions from his own list :D, seriously. The initial questions were typical boring behavioral questions like -- what are your 3 strengths, 3 weaknesses, role model, dream job, 3 reasons you want to work for NetApp, 3 reasons why NetApp should hire you etc. I am sure he got those from some website, minutes before the interview. Then came some technical questions like what are 3 differences between C and C++, 3 differences between malloc and calloc, 3 differences between TCP & IP. 3 must be his lucky number.

Anyways, after he ran out of questions(from his list) he said -- that's it and the HR will get back to me. He didn't even have the courtesy to ask me if I had any questions for him.

After sending out a couple of follow-up mails in the next week I finally got a reply saying they think that my *background doesn't match* with their requirements. Fair enough, because, It actually doesn't, as I have been a developer for years :D. To be honest, this is not a case of "sour grapes". I wanted to take this as just a practice interview and I thought I would learn at least a couple of things from it.

I did, and the takeaway was "to remain calm" in such situations and with such interviewers. And also, Be prepared with 3 answers to any darn question :).

For those, who have made it so patiently till the end of this review, I have good news for you ! If you are going to interview for this particular position and with the same people(Nothing personal), It's gonna be a cake walk. Good luck !

Interview Question – 3 weaknesses   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in April 2013.

Interview Details – I originally got my resume seen at a career fair at my university. I had already applied for a few positions in the company, with little movement on my submissions. After meeting with the recruiter, I was sent an email gauging my interest in a job that I had not applied to, but went ahead with the interview process anyway. However this role is mainly cold calling. They are looking for individuals with proven track records at cold calling, not just any sales experience.

The first step in the interview process was a series of phone conversations that were more of "here is what we do, this is how we do it, this is the layout of the companies sales teams, this is what to expect". The first interview was mostly about knowing the job and its responsibilities on a very simple level. The second phone call was actually one to identify the pay structure and the compensation package for all SDR's.

After these two interviews, a panel interview was scheduled. The panel consisted of about 5 people (Inside Sales Representatives) who all simply touched on the more personal aspects of the fit. They mainly wanted to know about my experiences in sales and how that was going to help me succeed. The panel was very friendly and personable, not something that is uncommon for NetApp. Be prepared with references if they are not already on your resume, as it seemed like tried and true sales numbers spoke louder than non commission sales roles. They want to bring in a proven telephone sales representative, as I mentioned that it was a predominately cold calling role.

Interview Question – If we were to call your boss, would he say you were the best salesman he's got?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Engineering Trainer Interview

Senior Engineering Trainer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at NetApp in May 2012.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview, then there was a technical interview that was ended after a couple of minutes because it was obvious I knew more than the interviewer, I talked to a couple of more people by phone. I was a perfect fit for the job.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, they have a fixed formula and it was fine with me.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewing process can be difficult if you have are external. You can expect at least a 1 day interview but if you are internal like I was for my last position you can expect a 4 hour interview. Be prepared... If you have something on your resume be prepared to answer the questions in detail.

Interview Question – For the position I am in know I already was a Subject Matter Expert on it from a previous stint I had at Microsoft.   Answer Question

Manager, Analyst Interview

Manager, Analyst
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in July 2011.

Interview Details – HR responded and set up a screener phone interview with the person this job reported to. After that, went through 4 more phone interviews with different executives. After getting through that screening, the next interview was in person with the whole team, which took more than half the day. Within two weeks, the recruiter contacted me with a verbal offer.

Interview Question – How do you measure success of the program?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate well - was asked and gave them a number. They came back 10% higher but would not move off their number.

Program Manager - Marketing Interview

Program Manager - Marketing
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I skipped the interview process as a contractor. The HR department is pretty well organized at NetApp, so I expect the standard interviewing process.

Negotiation Details – Always negotiate. I had special circumstances around my offer, in that I already worked for the company as a contractor, so I wasn't able to negotiate this time around.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Waltham, MA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – 2 phone interview and then onsite, questions are all related to OS, quit simple.

Interview Question – some problem they meet, which I don't understand   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Thorough, well structured, covered job specifics, as well as behavioral "what would you do" scenarios. Intense, quite a few interviews, however, everyone was pleasant, considerate, engaging and quite welcoming. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, though it seemed like it might never end. Appreciated and was pleasantly surprised at how interested each interviewer was in who I am outside of my professional mantle.

Interview Question – Tell us who you are when not working your 8-5 job...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at NetApp