NetApp

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NetApp in November 2013.

onsite!

the interviewers are all really kind. Mainly using C++, because it's what their software engineers used. Two technical interview + manager's behavioral interview + 2 technical interview. It's a long and tiring process. They provided pizza and some soft drink for lunch. Sadly, I didn't make it :(.

Questions contain some programing problems and some concepts of handling concurrency!

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NetApp in March 2013.

About 2-3 weeks after the job career fair on which I passed my resume, I got onsite interview chance, and then five turns technical interview. But unfortunately no offer.

Interview Questions
    • setup and hold time, PCI, CMOS transistor, board design   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in October 2012.

This is an onsite which drives us to their location at Pittsburgh. First is an introduction of their company and there's some pizza and drinks available. The interview consists of four rounds---first two of which are behavioral questions and the other two are real coding ones. Behavioral questions goes in an endless detail. The interviewers ask a lot of detail implementation of the projects you lists on the resume. And they also ask if you have any questions regarding NetApp.

Interview Questions: given an array and you are only allowed to go through them once. Then remove the array from the end one by one, find each of the minimum value among the numbers left in the array.
    Exactly the same question on Crack.

Interview Questions
    • Such a lot of detail implementation regarding my projects   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp in May 2011.

It went ok.

Interview Questions
    • Given a linked list, determine how to determine if it is circular or not with two pointers?   View Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NetApp in December 2010.

Most of the initial contact with the company is done via their North Carolina office and can be disjointed. I would prefer using local contacts only. I was contacted by their internal recruiter via LinkedIn, and then replied with resume. I was phone screened by a future peer, and was just asked about my background, about previous jobs I held, etc. This only last 15 minutes. The peer was friendly, polite, professional.

My interview was scheduled, again via NC, very soon after the initial phone screen. I met with approximately five people: hiring manager, and four peers. This interview went mostly well ---- although they seemed to be annoyingly focused on IQ-tests and behavior tests and didn't spend really any time on the actual job at hand! Instead of asking real, practical hands-on questions -- they wasted time with trying to profile me. They asked very few technical questions and then claimed to know the extent of my abilities?

I was brought in a different day for round two, and met with more or less the same people as the first time. This interview was slightly more technical, but was rushed --- giving me little or no chance to reshape their stereotypical rush-to-judgment view of me from the interview before. An outside-the-box attempt to demonstrate some technical skills was unrewarded --- they were not interested and cared less that I put forth the effort.

Everyone involved in the process was friendly, professional, and very nice -- including the local HR girl who explained the culture of the office, etc. With this being said, there's a difference between being nice and being incompetent interviewers. They did a particularly bad job -- a combination of not asking the right questions and playing around in the abstract instead of the concrete practical world.

Interview Questions
    • Using a normal justice scale (google for image), what's the minimum number of weighings required to find the heaviest of 9 different balls?   View Answers (2)

Member of Technical Staff III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in April 2010.

2 Phone screens
    1 On-site (4 technical rounds, 1 hiring-manager)

Summer Intern Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in March 2010.

The interview started from the jobfair in our university. And the the interviewer gave me a short face-face interview after I sent him my resume. And he asked me several tech questions like what is virtual function, and how to see the process id in linux. Then after two days, a hr contacted me and invited me to have an on-site interview. There were 3 interviewers, and all of them just asked some details about my project experiences. I didn't prepare it well, and I couldn't remember some details of my algorithm I used in my projects.

Interview Questions
    • write a kind of sort algorithm and tell the complicity.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in January 2007.

The phone screen was right out of joelonsoftware.com, which was fine with me. Not because it was easy (it was), but because it makes sense. I was (and still am) impressed by the technical people at NetApp.

A few days after the phone screen, they called me in for a day of interviews. I met with the HR person, maybe 5 engineers (for 1-on-1 interviews, including a lunch interview), and two managers. Everyone's questions were reasonable and relevant. If you know your stuff, have some applicable experience, and are smart enough not to put stuff on your resume that you don't really know, then you've got a good chance of getting hired at NetApp.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any questions that stood out as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    I was not happy with the initial offer, and told them so. Also, I held off giving them an answer because I was waiting to hear back from another company. NetApp tried to pressure me, but backed off when I told them that if they needed an answer immediately, then the answer was "no".

NetApp eventually added another 5K in salary plus a 5K signing bonus. I still was not thrilled with the offer, but only because I know that it was below average for NetApp. It was still a very health bump from what I was making at my previous position, so I accepted.

I probably should not have told them my current salary when they asked, but they might have insisted. Live and learn.