NetApp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Member of Technical Staff III Interview

Member of Technical Staff III
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in April 2010.

Interview Details – 2 Phone screens
1 On-site (4 technical rounds, 1 hiring-manager)

Interview Question – Can't say. But it's OS, Filesystems, Kernel related.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at NetApp in March 2013.

Interview Details – About 2-3 weeks after the job career fair on which I passed my resume, I got onsite interview chance, and then five turns technical interview. But unfortunately no offer.

Interview Question – setup and hold time, PCI, CMOS transistor, board design   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in October 2012.

Interview Details – This is an onsite which drives us to their location at Pittsburgh. First is an introduction of their company and there's some pizza and drinks available. The interview consists of four rounds---first two of which are behavioral questions and the other two are real coding ones. Behavioral questions goes in an endless detail. The interviewers ask a lot of detail implementation of the projects you lists on the resume. And they also ask if you have any questions regarding NetApp.

Interview Questions: given an array and you are only allowed to go through them once. Then remove the array from the end one by one, find each of the minimum value among the numbers left in the array.
Exactly the same question on Crack.

Interview Question – Such a lot of detail implementation regarding my projects   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in May 2011.

Interview Details – It went ok.

Interview Question – Given a linked list, determine how to determine if it is circular or not with two pointers?   View Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NetApp in December 2010.

Interview Details – Most of the initial contact with the company is done via their North Carolina office and can be disjointed. I would prefer using local contacts only. I was contacted by their internal recruiter via LinkedIn, and then replied with resume. I was phone screened by a future peer, and was just asked about my background, about previous jobs I held, etc. This only last 15 minutes. The peer was friendly, polite, professional.

My interview was scheduled, again via NC, very soon after the initial phone screen. I met with approximately five people: hiring manager, and four peers. This interview went mostly well ---- although they seemed to be annoyingly focused on IQ-tests and behavior tests and didn't spend really any time on the actual job at hand! Instead of asking real, practical hands-on questions -- they wasted time with trying to profile me. They asked very few technical questions and then claimed to know the extent of my abilities?

I was brought in a different day for round two, and met with more or less the same people as the first time. This interview was slightly more technical, but was rushed --- giving me little or no chance to reshape their stereotypical rush-to-judgment view of me from the interview before. An outside-the-box attempt to demonstrate some technical skills was unrewarded --- they were not interested and cared less that I put forth the effort.

Everyone involved in the process was friendly, professional, and very nice -- including the local HR girl who explained the culture of the office, etc. With this being said, there's a difference between being nice and being incompetent interviewers. They did a particularly bad job -- a combination of not asking the right questions and playing around in the abstract instead of the concrete practical world.

Interview Question – Using a normal justice scale (google for image), what's the minimum number of weighings required to find the heaviest of 9 different balls?   View Answers (2)

Summer Intern Software Engineer Interview

Summer Intern Software Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview started from the jobfair in our university. And the the interviewer gave me a short face-face interview after I sent him my resume. And he asked me several tech questions like what is virtual function, and how to see the process id in linux. Then after two days, a hr contacted me and invited me to have an on-site interview. There were 3 interviewers, and all of them just asked some details about my project experiences. I didn't prepare it well, and I couldn't remember some details of my algorithm I used in my projects.

Interview Question – write a kind of sort algorithm and tell the complicity.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in January 2007.

Interview Details – The phone screen was right out of joelonsoftware.com, which was fine with me. Not because it was easy (it was), but because it makes sense. I was (and still am) impressed by the technical people at NetApp.

A few days after the phone screen, they called me in for a day of interviews. I met with the HR person, maybe 5 engineers (for 1-on-1 interviews, including a lunch interview), and two managers. Everyone's questions were reasonable and relevant. If you know your stuff, have some applicable experience, and are smart enough not to put stuff on your resume that you don't really know, then you've got a good chance of getting hired at NetApp.

Interview Question – I don't remember any questions that stood out as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not happy with the initial offer, and told them so. Also, I held off giving them an answer because I was waiting to hear back from another company. NetApp tried to pressure me, but backed off when I told them that if they needed an answer immediately, then the answer was "no".

NetApp eventually added another 5K in salary plus a 5K signing bonus. I still was not thrilled with the offer, but only because I know that it was below average for NetApp. It was still a very health bump from what I was making at my previous position, so I accepted.

I probably should not have told them my current salary when they asked, but they might have insisted. Live and learn.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!