NetApp

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consulting Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in November 2014.

Multiple 1:1 phone interviews with various Consulting Systems Engineer peers and managers. Two more technical interviews at the beginning with other CSEs with personality and "fit" interviews coming from other upper managers later. Final face-to-face with the hiring manager at a local restaurant.

They took their time initially which was kind of a put off as well. They had a chance to "close the deal" earlier so trying to keep enthusiastic was a bit of challenge.

I had to ask to see the campus and offices where I would be working. It seemed to be pleasant enough but other than a fairly ordinary gym, standard full rate cafeterias, a volleyball court and a few outside tables, etc there was really nothing that stood out.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult if you know your stuff. Be prepared to answer technical questions about your application stack/area of specialty. No trick questions or anything however.   Answer Question

Very average compensation package in regards to medical options (UC or Kaiser), 401(K), etc. Even the buildings and offices don't provide more than free coffee. No free sodas/drinks/snacks, have paid vending machines, no free or subsidized food, no company car or car allowance (other than mileage reimbursement).

I would have taken the position but they were disingenuous about pay range and where the offer would fall. I had recordings of all the interviews and the offer differed from the initial discussion.

Weird statements about always just hitting goals...not doing better or worse because then some upper execs or managers would get fired. I guess that is why they are #2 behind EMC with 1/3 the market share.

Seemed like a good group of peers overall though. It would have been a good team to work with.

Customer Listening Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NetApp in October 2014.

The process took about 3 weeks from first interview to offer. Had a 30 minutes phone interview with the recruiter, she was very nice. Asked me technical and analytics questions from a list. Most questions were based on the the teams needs. Afterwards I interviewed with the hiring manager for 30 minutes. This time it was mostly behavioral questions, trying to get a sense of how I work and if I was a culture fit. Next I was invited onsite and was interviewed by 3 team members for 45 minutes each all behavioral questions and questions about how my experience fits with their requirements. After the interviews I was asked to watch a talk then prepare and present a presentation all in about 30 minutes, this was to rate my communication and presentation skills. Finally I was called onsite again another day for a last interview with 2 more senior team members. This was more like a chat and not a structured interview.

Interview Questions
    • statistical technique to analyze difference between 2 means and more than 2 means.
      What is a t-test
      How to conduct a focus group, survey etc
      Basic customer data analysis questions

Answer Question
    • Explain changes in customer rating feedback   Answer Question
    • Why customer listening?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my base.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp.

Was contacted by High Tech Connect, a firm in Pleasanton, CA who was looking to fill a contract position at NetApp on the Global Services marketing team. Offered a full-time position after a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager and one future colleague on the team.

Offer was made by a third party recruiter

Member Technical Staff, Software III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NetApp.

It was normal interview. Nothing unusual. It was not the position for working on Netapp storage technology. So the process was different. This was for their Front end technology and server development group.

Interview Questions
    • All java - questions. Linkedlist, graphics, algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Senior Graphic Designer, Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp in June 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter who did the initial phone interview who then contacted me a couple of days later to set up a phone interview with the team supervisor. The following week, I was asked on-site for face-to-face interview(s) with four different team members. Not a panel interview, thank god, but rather one at a time (and one via phone conference). The whole onsite interview process took about 2 hours.
    I felt the interviews went well but was still surprised when the recruiter offer came as I was driving home.
    Started 1st day of work within 2 weeks of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions were asked - mostly just going over my resume more in detail. The manager asked more behavior questions such as explaining how & what process I use for time/project management.   Answer Question
    As a contractor, the offer was set with the recruiter prior to interviewing. I did however set the expectations for a flexible work environment and came to an agreement with the team supervisor & manager.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at NetApp in June 2014.

I got contacted by the company recruiter. After couple of communication emails got interview set up. It was half a day interview with 3 people, director/manager/analyst. 45 mins each.

Good offer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetApp.

I only interviewed with the first team I was hired to work with. Conference room with all 4 team members in the dept. Interview lasted about an hour. They brought me onboard a week later.

I asked for a specific hourly rate and it was accepted first time around.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
    Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
    Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
    Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
    Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
    Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
    Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Member of Technical Staff Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp.

I applied online and I got call from manager to setup phone screen and I asked for on site interview after phone interview. People are very friendly and great culture.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NetApp.

Initially contacted by email by the recruiter in the department -- she heard about me through a current NetApp employee. Provided the recruiter with my basic information: resume, salary range, availability, etc. Then received an email from the recruiter requesting my responses to situational questions -- how would you deal with x. This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. A few days later I met the hiring manager and a member of the team. The interview went very well in my opinion, yet two days later I received a boilerplate email from the recruiter -- thanks but no thanks.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a situation in case study form. Not really a tough question. It was more a matter of, "which one should I choose."   Answer Question