NetApp

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at NetApp.

It's terrible and unfair practice. Gone through one telephone interview is fine. There are 4-5 people on site interview. Most of them are young graduates.One old person also ask the same logic issue. I don't know how much do they know about storage area networking technology.

Interview Questions
  • They use unpractical algorithm to test the candidate. This algorithm test a ridiculous single link list which point back to certain node. You have to do it the way they expect can not add any field inside the structure. If you don't give answer the way they want, they said "It's very basic problem." A bunch humiliation toward candidate even I am humble to face them. This is very unprofessional. I don't know how U.S. will ready this group of H1 to be U.S. citizens.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NetApp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NetApp in May 2014.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a company recruiter for about this position. I replied with interest. I received a call from the recruiter that briefly confirmed my experiences in regards to the position requirements. We scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager a couple days later. The phone interview by the hiring manager was a discussion about the opportunity and how my skills might be a good fit. We scheduled an in-person interview a couple days later. The in-person interviews consisted of 2.5 hours of 5 back-to-back interviews from different people on the team. They consisted of mainly scenario based white board questions. "How would you do this?" type of scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us something about yourself related to development that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NetApp in September 2011.

The interviewer who first screened over phone was good and his questions were basically to find whether it is worth personal screening or not. I am happy with the way it went. I had applied for a SW position after working in SW development in data/storage networking HW business for over 15 years and expected a decent interview where my experience is respected and I am disappointed there. The questions asked by almost every member in the panel (one after another by around 4 engineers) are more relevant for fresh grads. I am listing all the questions here for the benefit of fresh grads (who knows, may be they will be hired directly as senior engineers due to their exceptional ability in answering them all :-)). If more than 1/2 of interview is consisting of these grad questions, why do they have to call for interview in the first place is something I am not able to figure out. Perhaps I would have gone thru some grad books had I known this.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to copy the NULL terminated string? The source & destination can be any where with overlap possible. The end result should be that the destination should have string properly without getting corrupted.   View Answers (2)
    • What is the difference between binary tree & binary search tree? Can you take a set of numbers and build the tree on the board? Given 2 nodes in the binary tree above, write code to determine lowest common ancestor. Also write code to traverse all the nodes in the tree in order.   Answer Question
    • Implements strstr function. The manual page of 'strstr' function is here.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that reverses a linked list? Are there any other methods possible? List all methods that you can come up with and explain the advantages & disadvantages of each.   Answer Question
    • Explain the entire system up sequence for a UNIX system starting from power-up to getting login prompt. Explain as much as you know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in December 2010.

Was invited onsite after initial phone screen by the Hiring manager. I did not have much experience in the file system development and my resume showed it. I had infact developed a stacked file system and that was the only experience. The interview consisted of 4 engineers taking turns in asking me coding/technical questions. First interviewer asked me some questions about file system implementation and I answered from my experience. The second interviewer was the least knowledgeable among all in my opinion. He asked me how malloc works and when I said it calls kernel for allocating more heap memory when it is short, he was so shocked and started arguing with me about how wrong I was. 3rd interviewer bombarded me with 15 coding questions (reverse linked list, reverse string etc etc) and it was a cake walk for me. 4th interviewer asked me a question about sorting integers. When i started the answer with a insert sort linkedlist, the problem statement changed from a insert problem to a const array sort problem and wanted a me to say heap sort was the best answer. But he didnt hesitate to tell me that he wanted a discussion and not a memorized answer. Funny!

The hiring manager was decent enough to call me and tell me that the team thought I didnt have enough file system experience and said he would recommend me for other positions. Didnt my resume already say that? So why waste my time?

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in March 2010.

Had 1 phone screen which mainly consisted of questions on c and c++ FAQs, OS concepts and some algorithms questions.
    1:1: I was supposed to talk to 5 people, 3 of them were technical mainly focusing on programming in c,c++, debugging in univ environment and understanding of data structures. All were basic questions can be easily found on the web. All ints went well. The interview with manager and Tech lead were more situational questions, I am not sure what did not fit right, I was expecting a offer from them. All the interviewers were friendly.

I was disappointed by the HR coordinator at NetApp who did not respond with a outcome of the Interview ever. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Implement binary search given a array of sorted integers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NetApp in March 2010.

Their phone interviews seem pretty easy. They focus more on the on-site interview, where you can be rigorously tested the coding skills, design skills, leadership skills.

Interview Questions
    • I found the puzzle questions the most difficult ones since there is no right/wrong answer. They just wanted to test how quickly you think.   Answer Question