NetApp

Getting the Interview

35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Interview Question – A question about search   Answer Question

Cranberry, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through career fair on campus. HR contacted via email to schedule initial phone interview. Straightforward questions on OS concepts. Was asked to debug code. Heard back in a couple of days, was invited for an on site interview at their Cranberry office. Staff were very amicable and extremely friendly. 4 interviews in all, 3 technical, 1 with the manager based on my resume. All the interviews were pretty standard on OS concepts, code debugging, writing code, oops concepts and design. Heard back in three weeks. Received a mail with the offer. Process took about a month. Positive experience.

Interview Question – Condition variables in posix threads. Some questions about height balanced trees like AVL trees and red black trees. Nothing out of the blue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Still contemplating the offer.

Pleasanton, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in February 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was strictly behavioral; follow up interview was scheduled to be with a team but the team decided not to follow up with the interview.

Interview Question – Strictly behavioral, the interviewer goes through and asks questions regarding any major work experience you may have, or any major projects you have been working on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Saw the job posting on University's website, Applied online and got a phone interview afterwards.

Interview Question – Phone interview contained no technical questions, asked questioned like what do you know about netapp, do you have experience with Linux?   Answer Question

Interviewed at NetApp

Interview Details – Questions on Multithreading, bit manipulation. Also was asked about the projects mentioned on the resume.

Interview Question – Multithreading question.   Answer Question

Waltham, MA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – 2 phone interview and then onsite, questions are all related to OS, quit simple.

Interview Question – some problem they meet, which I don't understand   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at NetApp in February 2013.

Interview Details – Onsite, resume question, algorithm question

Interview Question – data mining, Fibonacci no recursion   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I had interviewed with NetApp for a full-time Software Developer position. The interviewer asked me 3 questions. The first was pretty simple involving screening of OOP skills wherein I was given a base class and was told to create a child class for it and then some follow-up questions like what is the use of virtual destructor etc. Then the second question involved pointer skills and was based on structure pointers. And the third was based on Dynamic memory allocation in C.

Interview Question – I guess the dynamic memory allocation question in C.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NetApp in October 2012.

Interview Details – I first received a call from a recruiting specialist who arranged to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. After the phone interview, I was invited to visit onsite for face interview. I was interviewed by three different engineers including the hiring manager. The questions consists of my background skills and projects; a few technical questions regarding my past projects to ensure that I have actually done the work.

Interview Question – Describe how compilers works.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I was offered several software engineering jobs but NetApp paid the most with nearly 10k in stocks.

Cranberry, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Interview Details – Get the phone interview after school career fair. 2 people on the phone interviewed me. Ask about my background and some tech questions. Then invited me to onsite interview.
Meet with 3 groups of people. From engineers to manager. Include a lunch and then went back.
Not heard back from them after it...

Interview Question – tech questions broad but not hard or deep, better have preparation ahead of time.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at NetApp

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!

NetApp Videos

NetApp – Why Work for Us?

At NetApp, your expertise is what drives our growing success NetApp is the ideal place to give your career a boost. Our global setting highly values and fosters a healthy and happy work-life balance. Plus, our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NetApp Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by NetApp employees and interview candidates.