NetApp Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Raleigh, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter, he set up the phone interview. On the phone interview I spoke with 3 of my future team mates. Then I was called in for an onsite interview that last 3-4 hours, most of which was technical. We went over a coding problem they sent over before I came in.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your code and explain the process by which you came across the solution. How quickly were you able to pick up the language? About how long did it take you to write this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for one thing, and they gave me about 10k more than I asked. If it isn't what you are looking for definitely try to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for NetApp

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The internal staffing person will perform a quick phone screen. This takes about 15 minutes. Then the hiring manager will perform a phone screen which will touch on technical questions as well as cultural fit questions. If you get through that, an senior engineer will do another phone screen. This will be very technical and actually writing code. Once you get pass all that they will invite you to a on-site. This will be mostly technical and will be talking to the hiring manager as well as 2-3 engineers.

Interview Questions

• Write code to reverse a linked list   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NetApp (San Jose, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
    Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
    Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
    Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
    Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
    Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
    Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranberry, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Cranberry, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied through career fair on campus. HR contacted via email to schedule initial phone interview. Straightforward questions on OS concepts. Was asked to debug code. Heard back in a couple of days, was invited for an on site interview at their Cranberry office. Staff were very amicable and extremely friendly. 4 interviews in all, 3 technical, 1 with the manager based on my resume. All the interviews were pretty standard on OS concepts, code debugging, writing code, oops concepts and design. Heard back in three weeks. Received a mail with the offer. Process took about a month. Positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Condition variables in posix threads. Some questions about height balanced trees like AVL trees and red black trees. Nothing out of the blue.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Still contemplating the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at NetApp.

Interview

Saw the job posting on University's website, Applied online and got a phone interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview contained no technical questions, asked questioned like what do you know about netapp, do you have experience with Linux?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Pleasanton, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

First interview was strictly behavioral; follow up interview was scheduled to be with a team but the team decided not to follow up with the interview.

Interview Questions

• Strictly behavioral, the interviewer goes through and asks questions regarding any major work experience you may have, or any major projects you have been working on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Questions on Multithreading, bit manipulation. Also was asked about the projects mentioned on the resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NetApp (Waltham, MA).

Interview

2 phone interview and then onsite, questions are all related to OS, quit simple.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NetApp.

Interview

I had interviewed with NetApp for a full-time Software Developer position. The interviewer asked me 3 questions. The first was pretty simple involving screening of OOP skills wherein I was given a base class and was told to create a child class for it and then some follow-up questions like what is the use of virtual destructor etc. Then the second question involved pointer skills and was based on structure pointers. And the third was based on Dynamic memory allocation in C.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Onsite, resume question, algorithm question