NetApp

NetApp Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Directly called for onsite @ Sunnyvale HQ
Interviewed with two Platform Teams ( Kernel Teams)
3 interviews morning session , 3 interviews afterrnoon session

Each interviewer asked about prior internships,research projects and background.
All of them then dived into OS related questions and few Computer Architecture questions

Interview Questions
  • Difficult Questions : Cache Snooping,How do you solve Priority Inversion and Dead locks,what is vfork, kmalloc ,
    Programming Questions : Find a substring in a given string, I gave O(n2),they asked me improve to O(n) and so on. How will implement virtual functions(c++ style) in C. How can you generate a v-table ?
    Unexpected/Silly/Stupid Questions : They gave some incorrect code snippet and asked you to correct it . Most of the errors were like in a for loop to traverse a char of 10 byets the loop will be for( i =0 ;i < = 10;i++) and then u correct it to i <10 . Like really silly stuff.
    I was expecting some algorithmic incorrect stuff ,but they were looking for syntax errors, what don't they have a smart IDE like eclipse or VS 2012 or wut :P
      View Answers (3)
I had another offer from a reputed consumer electronics company so I asked them to match or do better than that offer.

Other Interview Reviews for NetApp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranberry, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranberry, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Get the phone interview after school career fair. 2 people on the phone interviewed me. Ask about my background and some tech questions. Then invited me to onsite interview.
    Meet with 3 groups of people. From engineers to manager. Include a lunch and then went back.
    Not heard back from them after it...

Interview Questions
    • tech questions broad but not hard or deep, better have preparation ahead of time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NetApp in October 2012.

I first received a call from a recruiting specialist who arranged to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. After the phone interview, I was invited to visit onsite for face interview. I was interviewed by three different engineers including the hiring manager. The questions consists of my background skills and projects; a few technical questions regarding my past projects to ensure that I have actually done the work.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate. I was offered several software engineering jobs but NetApp paid the most with nearly 10k in stocks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetApp in July 2012.

First, I had a telephone discussion with the hiring manager. Then HR quickly sent me an email to schedule an on-site interview.

The on-site visit lasted about 3.5 hours. It started with a face to face interview with hiring manager and his manager. Then there were three rounds rounds of technical interviews with 2 developers (or testers) at a time.

After the technical discussions, someone from HR came in to discuss the next step in the process, my salary expectations, and up sell the company.

I was not given an offer, and I received an automated note telling me I was not a candidate soon after the face to face.

Interview Questions
    • Two trains, each moving at 20 miles per hour towards each other, are initially 60 miles apart. A bee starts at the front of one train, flies to the other train, then back to the first train, and so on. If the bee always flies at 30 miles per hour, how far does the bee fly before the trains collide?   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in April 2012.

Good fair practices, very comfortable environment -- even for an intervieweee. The questions covered a wide range of issues from systems designs to general thinking and debugging. The interviewers was a mix of engineers and managers -- but all of them knew what they were talking about! The work place is great, with a wonderful cafe with lots of selection of foods etc. The work positions and your responsibilities were very well-defined -- i think that is something unique since many places tell you "X" and you end up doing "Y". Overall, most employees were very happy and satisfied with their responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most important technical and non-technical challenges you faced in your previous big, group project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp in February 2012.

I met their engineers in campus career fair. After several minutes of chatting about my internship project, which is highly related to their products, I totally forget this conversation. Then after maybe 1-2 months, HR called me and said they want to do a on-site, without phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions. I had no experience on behavioral questions and answered in a totally wrong way. Technical questions are easy C questions. But I think the problem is whether I fit to that site (not in California, no junior engineers).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in November 2011.

It was a phone interview. First the person introduced their group and what are they looking from a potential candidate. They wanted a quick learner and basic knowledge of web services, virtualization, java and some scripting languages. Then asked about mine project experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetApp in May 2011.

It went ok.

Interview Questions
    • Given a linked list, determine how to determine if it is circular or not with two pointers?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in December 2010.

I got call from recruiter for the interview for the software engineer position I had applied online. Interview was a telephonic by one of the engineer on team. He asked basic C question and algorithms. He also asked some challenging coding questions and optimizing algorithm for them. Interview last for 1 hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp in May 2010.

Submitted resume online
    A recruiter contacted and setup a phone interview
    Had a phone interview a week later, mostly some technical questions
    Went to an on-site interview
    met 6 people
    Managers tend to ask behavioral questions
    Engineers ask technical questions

Interview Questions
    • What's the biggest conflict you had with your cowoker? how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • How can you reverse words in a string without using extra memory?   View Answers (2)