NetApp Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Cranberry, PA
Anonymous Employee in Cranberry, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Get the phone interview after school career fair. 2 people on the phone interviewed me. Ask about my background and some tech questions. Then invited me to onsite interview.
Meet with 3 groups of people. From engineers to manager. Include a lunch and then went back.
Not heard back from them after it...

Interview Questions
  • tech questions broad but not hard or deep, better have preparation ahead of time.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NetApp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Directly called for onsite @ Sunnyvale HQ
    Interviewed with two Platform Teams ( Kernel Teams)
    3 interviews morning session , 3 interviews afterrnoon session

Each interviewer asked about prior internships,research projects and background.
    All of them then dived into OS related questions and few Computer Architecture questions

Interview Questions
    • Difficult Questions : Cache Snooping,How do you solve Priority Inversion and Dead locks,what is vfork, kmalloc ,
      Programming Questions : Find a substring in a given string, I gave O(n2),they asked me improve to O(n) and so on. How will implement virtual functions(c++ style) in C. How can you generate a v-table ?
      Unexpected/Silly/Stupid Questions : They gave some incorrect code snippet and asked you to correct it . Most of the errors were like in a for loop to traverse a char of 10 byets the loop will be for( i =0 ;i < = 10;i++) and then u correct it to i <10 . Like really silly stuff.
      I was expecting some algorithmic incorrect stuff ,but they were looking for syntax errors, what don't they have a smart IDE like eclipse or VS 2012 or wut :P
        View Answers (3)
    I had another offer from a reputed consumer electronics company so I asked them to match or do better than that offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp.

I was contacted by email to directly come for onsite for a Software engineer position in Sunnyvale . There were three interviews for each position . The team would first shortlist your resume , then 3 members of the team would interview you for 45 min each. They were all very approachable made you feel comfortable. Amazing interview experience:)

Interview Questions
    • The question was to given two words figure out if they are anagrams with O(N ) complexity and using kernel level code.Also optimize further if possible.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at NetApp in July 2012.

First, I had a telephone discussion with the hiring manager. Then HR quickly sent me an email to schedule an on-site interview.

The on-site visit lasted about 3.5 hours. It started with a face to face interview with hiring manager and his manager. Then there were three rounds rounds of technical interviews with 2 developers (or testers) at a time.

After the technical discussions, someone from HR came in to discuss the next step in the process, my salary expectations, and up sell the company.

I was not given an offer, and I received an automated note telling me I was not a candidate soon after the face to face.

Interview Questions
    • Two trains, each moving at 20 miles per hour towards each other, are initially 60 miles apart. A bee starts at the front of one train, flies to the other train, then back to the first train, and so on. If the bee always flies at 30 miles per hour, how far does the bee fly before the trains collide?   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Employee  in  Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in February 2012.

I met their engineers in campus career fair. After several minutes of chatting about my internship project, which is highly related to their products, I totally forget this conversation. Then after maybe 1-2 months, HR called me and said they want to do a on-site, without phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions. I had no experience on behavioral questions and answered in a totally wrong way. Technical questions are easy C questions. But I think the problem is whether I fit to that site (not in California, no junior engineers).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in March 2010.

It was a tough interview

Interview Questions
    • Question was given an array sort the values - merge sort/quick sort   Answer Question
    • Find least common ancestor of a binary tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in April 2012.

Good fair practices, very comfortable environment -- even for an intervieweee. The questions covered a wide range of issues from systems designs to general thinking and debugging. The interviewers was a mix of engineers and managers -- but all of them knew what they were talking about! The work place is great, with a wonderful cafe with lots of selection of foods etc. The work positions and your responsibilities were very well-defined -- i think that is something unique since many places tell you "X" and you end up doing "Y". Overall, most employees were very happy and satisfied with their responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most important technical and non-technical challenges you faced in your previous big, group project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in May 2011.

It went ok.

Interview Questions
    • Given a linked list, determine how to determine if it is circular or not with two pointers?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in February 2010.

The interview process was well defined. I was contacted by the recruiter first.
    Had a telephonic interview.
    Then they called for in person interview. It was a all day long interview. I was interviewed by 6 people.
    It was all technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Write a class for singly linked list for a multithreaded environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in November 2011.

It was a phone interview. First the person introduced their group and what are they looking from a potential candidate. They wanted a quick learner and basic knowledge of web services, virtualization, java and some scripting languages. Then asked about mine project experiences.