NetApp Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by email to directly come for onsite for a Software engineer position in Sunnyvale . There were three interviews for each position . The team would first shortlist your resume , then 3 members of the team would interview you for 45 min each. They were all very approachable made you feel comfortable. Amazing interview experience:)

Interview Questions

• The question was to given two words figure out if they are anagrams with O(N ) complexity and using kernel level code.Also optimize further if possible.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Directly called for onsite @ Sunnyvale HQ
    Interviewed with two Platform Teams ( Kernel Teams)
    3 interviews morning session , 3 interviews afterrnoon session

Each interviewer asked about prior internships,research projects and background.
    All of them then dived into OS related questions and few Computer Architecture questions

Interview Questions

• Difficult Questions : Cache Snooping,How do you solve Priority Inversion and Dead locks,what is vfork, kmalloc ,
      Programming Questions : Find a substring in a given string, I gave O(n2),they asked me improve to O(n) and so on. How will implement virtual functions(c++ style) in C. How can you generate a v-table ?
      Unexpected/Silly/Stupid Questions : They gave some incorrect code snippet and asked you to correct it . Most of the errors were like in a for loop to traverse a char of 10 byets the loop will be for( i =0 ;i < = 10;i++) and then u correct it to i <10 . Like really silly stuff.
      I was expecting some algorithmic incorrect stuff ,but they were looking for syntax errors, what don't they have a smart IDE like eclipse or VS 2012 or wut :P

3 Answers

Negotiation

I had another offer from a reputed consumer electronics company so I asked them to match or do better than that offer.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I was called onsite 5 times over 2 months.....first time with a hiring manager, second time with another hiring manager, 3rd time with couple more folks, 4th time with few more folks and 5th time with the director/director's boss/full team.

I met with a total of 12 people and went in 5 times over 2 months. Looks like the team had some disagreement or were interviewing other candidates and just wanted to keep me warm in-case the other candidates didnt work out.

I only liked 3 out of the 12 people and found everyone else to be pretty uptight. They all bitched about their super-boss in the interview and called her names. Very very unprofessional. I will not interview at Netapp again.

Interview Questions

• Phone call to do a presentation with less than 24 hours notice.   Answer Question

MTS2 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed for a new college grad position. I had interview for about 4 hours with 4 different people. Everyone was interested in what i did before in my internships and my grad level projects. This completed the first round of interviews. I then had a second round of phone calls with the manager and tech lead for 2 hrs each, after which they confirmed my job.

Interview Questions

• Expect algorithm questions. Also, be 100% sure on what is in your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiable. Look for sign on bonus.

Software Licensing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Pretty quick in the beginning... then had delays due to HR lead leaving the company and holiday shutdown, but ultimately got back on track, got an offer, and accepted.

I made contact directly with HR via referral, submitted resume, applied and got call for phone interview within 7-10 days with the hiring manager. Onsite interview was scheduled within 10 days. Due to scheduling/proximity, I did two additional interviews over the phone: one with the VP and one with a remote colleague. Then 5 people onsite. All went well, then went dark. Got call a few weeks later from hiring manager that HR lead had left the company, and they had one more person to interview, but were still interested. Asked me for my salary expectations.

Got email from HR the following week to schedule an additional interview which got postponed another week due to my personal travel. By the time I did the final interview, I had voicemails waiting for me within 20 minutes to make me an offer (though I wasn't home to receive them!). Got the call on Tuesday they "intended" to make me an offer, got verbal offer from HR on Wed, asked for 24 hours to review. Talked with HR again on Thursday to negotiate, reconnected on Friday 1 hour before the holiday shutdown to finalize the negotiation and accept. Then had to wait for holiday shutdown to lapse to get through senior management approvals on the negotiated package, etc.

They started back on Jan. 2, by Jan. 3rd I had a FedEx package with the formal (negotiated) offer and paperwork to be completed, which I returned same day (they pay postage). As soon as they received it on Friday, they sent me a second Welcome Package via FedEx which I received on Saturday. Done deal.

None of the paperwork confirmed the start date, though, so I had to contact both HR and the hiring manager the following Monday to confirm my start date. Otherwise, all was very smooth, very fair, very respectful, etc.

Looking forward to my new adventure!

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected. All job related. Behavioral interviews - examples of when I did xyz which was easy for this job. They did ask a few questions related to difficult problems they needed to solve and didn't have an answer for to see how I might be able to help them
      :-) and probed a bit on how I might approach making the transition to NetApp after being at HP for almost 27 years...

1 Answer

Negotiation

They were willing to negotiate only on base salary, and in my case, signing bonus (rare, from what they tell me). Will not negotiate vacation time, RSUs, benefits, etc.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

They called me up out of the blue for an onsite. It wasn't very technical, a lot of theoretical questions. make sure you brushed up on your c and perl though.

Interview Questions

• Write code to create a telenet connection in perl   1 Answer

Technical Marketing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Recruiter set up phone calls with hiring manager to discuss role and my potential fit. Once hiring manager decided to move forward, I was flown to Sunnyvale to interview with four management level employees. The interviews were quite technical in nature and some attempted to talk me out of the role, perhaps to see if I was really interested.

Interview Questions

• Fibonacci Sequence/Golden Equation question   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much. The offer was in stone and not what was previously discussed. The company sounded so good, I decided to make the move anyways.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after sending in my resume through my school's career center website. The first (and final) round for me was going to their campus in Sunnyvale. The day consisted of three interviews with recent hires and Senior Managers. All three interviews were extremely laid back and just touched on my experience and resume. Everyone was really friendly so the atmosphere was not very intimidating.

About two weeks after the interviews I was contacted and told that I did not get the position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied online via their Jobs site. In a few days, I got an email asking me if I would like to be interviewed. Following a phone call with just some very basic background questions, I was flown to the NetApp campus at Sunnyvale.

The environment seemed great -- everyone was nice and friendly. I was applying for a low-level software position (something like OS, drivers, hardware interaction etc.). They tested me on some fairly standard questions on kernel development (as in creating the kernel, not developing the created kernel) and data structures. Some of the interviewers were also interested in quizzing me on some brain-teasers, like if you have x-number of balls and y-number of scales, what is the shortest way of finding the heaviest ball and what is the run-time of an application finding the ball using method. There were also of course a few behavioral questions, like "Tell me about a time you worked on a team."

Interview Questions

• Personally, I found the brain-teaser about finding the lightest ball (mentioned above) the hardest. But my interviewer was more interested in my way of thinking and of approaching the problem and not the solution itself. He guided me a bit, and after a long while, I did figure it out. But like I said, he was only interested my attitude towards the problem.   Answer Question

Operations Program Manager Interview

Application

Interview

Initially contacted by an university recruiter who invited me to come in for "NetApp Day", where the company invites a bunch of recruits. The entire day was pretty well-organized. It started with breakfast and an intro to the company, followed by three rounds of interviews, and ended with refreshments and a Q&A panel with current employees.

NetApp compensated me entirely, reimbursing my rental car costs and even offering to rent a taxi/shuttle for me when I told them I was not too familiar with the area and getting to the headquarters!

Good communication before and after the interview. Overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions... nothing too out of the ordinary, but this obviously depends on the position you're applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.