NetApp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I got the interview through a career fair on campus. I was flown up to their headquarters where they had a whole interview day planned. About 30 candidates attended.
It started out with a presentation about the company. Then there where three 45 minutes long interviews back to back. Almost all questions were behavioral. Everyone was very friendly and the company culture seems laid back and fun. Typical Silicon Valley company.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected, except for that there were basically almost no technical questions.   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – First interview (phone interview) was smooth with a 1st or 2nd year analyst and went great. The interviewer made the process really smooth and comfortable. The interview was a meet and greet type and a couple of questions regarding my experience.

Then came the 2nd phone interview with the hiring manager. It was unorthodox to say the least. The questions had nothing to do with my ability to the job or the position itself but rather questions that were as if I was about to be given an offer. The interviewer seemed like he just went through my resume for the first time. He told me I was qualified and that everyone liked me and asked me questions leading up to an offer. After following up via email I waited about 6 weeks saying that they were pursuing other candidates.

Interview Question – What do you like to do for fun?

Would you be willing to relocate for the internship?
  Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online via their Jobs site. In a few days, I got an email asking me if I would like to be interviewed. Following a phone call with just some very basic background questions, I was flown to the NetApp campus at Sunnyvale.

The environment seemed great -- everyone was nice and friendly. I was applying for a low-level software position (something like OS, drivers, hardware interaction etc.). They tested me on some fairly standard questions on kernel development (as in creating the kernel, not developing the created kernel) and data structures. Some of the interviewers were also interested in quizzing me on some brain-teasers, like if you have x-number of balls and y-number of scales, what is the shortest way of finding the heaviest ball and what is the run-time of an application finding the ball using method. There were also of course a few behavioral questions, like "Tell me about a time you worked on a team."

Interview Question – Personally, I found the brain-teaser about finding the lightest ball (mentioned above) the hardest. But my interviewer was more interested in my way of thinking and of approaching the problem and not the solution itself. He guided me a bit, and after a long while, I did figure it out. But like I said, he was only interested my attitude towards the problem.   Answer Question

Operations Program Manager Interview

Operations Program Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in May 2011.

Interview Details – LOTS of interviews but not tough. Very thorough process

Interview Question – None really - but did have a group interview. That was unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was above market - limited negotiations. Do ask for additional vacation from your manager however. Vacation is limited for first two years will get sucked up for two company shutdowns.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Came in for a half-day "Interview Day" with other new grad applicants. Very organized and pleasant experience. Provided us with traveling compensation, breakfast, and lunch. Three rounds of interview, lasting 20-25 minutes each, with my hiring managers. Questions will definitely depend on the position you're applying for, but it was seemed very casual. Some interviewers took notes, some did not. Turnaround time was ~1 week, so extremely efficient.

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary, mainly asked me to walk through my resume and talk about a couple situational experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at NetApp in February 2013.

Interview Details – Onsite, resume question, algorithm question

Interview Question – data mining, Fibonacci no recursion   Answer Question

Compliance Manager Interview

Compliance Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 1st round of in-person interview with 3 people, 2nd round of in-person interview with 6 people. Very long process.

Interview Question – The hiring manager said/asked: You would be surprised at how many Sr. auditors do not know how to perform audits or write audit programs.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was called onsite 5 times over 2 months.....first time with a hiring manager, second time with another hiring manager, 3rd time with couple more folks, 4th time with few more folks and 5th time with the director/director's boss/full team.

I met with a total of 12 people and went in 5 times over 2 months. Looks like the team had some disagreement or were interviewing other candidates and just wanted to keep me warm in-case the other candidates didnt work out.

I only liked 3 out of the 12 people and found everyone else to be pretty uptight. They all bitched about their super-boss in the interview and called her names. Very very unprofessional. I will not interview at Netapp again.

Interview Question – Phone call to do a presentation with less than 24 hours notice.   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp in January 2013.

Interview Details – Directly called for onsite @ Sunnyvale HQ
Interviewed with two Platform Teams ( Kernel Teams)
3 interviews morning session , 3 interviews afterrnoon session

Each interviewer asked about prior internships,research projects and background.
All of them then dived into OS related questions and few Computer Architecture questions

Interview Question – Difficult Questions : Cache Snooping,How do you solve Priority Inversion and Dead locks,what is vfork, kmalloc ,
Programming Questions : Find a substring in a given string, I gave O(n2),they asked me improve to O(n) and so on. How will implement virtual functions(c++ style) in C. How can you generate a v-table ?
Unexpected/Silly/Stupid Questions : They gave some incorrect code snippet and asked you to correct it . Most of the errors were like in a for loop to traverse a char of 10 byets the loop will be for( i =0 ;i < = 10;i++) and then u correct it to i <10 . Like really silly stuff.
I was expecting some algorithmic incorrect stuff ,but they were looking for syntax errors, what don't they have a smart IDE like eclipse or VS 2012 or wut :P
  View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – I had another offer from a reputed consumer electronics company so I asked them to match or do better than that offer.

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email to directly come for onsite for a Software engineer position in Sunnyvale . There were three interviews for each position . The team would first shortlist your resume , then 3 members of the team would interview you for 45 min each. They were all very approachable made you feel comfortable. Amazing interview experience:)

Interview Question – The question was to given two words figure out if they are anagrams with O(N ) complexity and using kernel level code.Also optimize further if possible.   View Answers (2)