NetApp

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in February 2009.

Interview Details – Initial contact was via phone by a NetApp recruiter, followed up by a personal interview one week later with two interviewers in a small conference room. Immediately afterwards, I interviewed with the hiring manager in the same room. A couple days later, I was offered the position as a technical support engineer.

Interview Question – The most difficult question involved a specific protocol (NFS) of which I had no prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for my (then) current salary + 10%, which was offered.

Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at NetApp in April 2009.

Interview Details – Phone call initially but I had previous experience as a contractor with them. The interview was very technical with some escalation engineers but I also knew someone on the team. One interviewer talked/taught me about a couple topics so it really varies on personality but they do try to be tough about it. They have a couple of scenarios they might throw at you -one where they give you a problem and you have to give multiple solutions to see how you troubleshoot. They are pretty relaxed and will joke around to get to know your personality also.

Interview Question – I don't really remember back that far but the scenario I had was say computer x can't talk to computer Y and troubleshoot it - what could it be and every answer you give is wrong until they run out of possible solutions - or its a random and very detailed solution that you wouldn't think of.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate much - it matched what I was looking for.

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NetApp in February 2012.

Interview Details – There was some initial confusion early-on in the interview process as to the shift being interviewed for. NetApp support has a front end days / back end days, front end nights, back end nights type shifting schema. Plus, there are multiple support teams with sometimes overlapping responsibilities. Potentially, one could go in expecting to be interviewing for a front end days shift and end up interviewing for and being offered a weekend back end nights shift, which for many, would be very difficult to do. Post interview, the rest of the hiring process was fairly smooth with only a relative few short administrative hurdles required.

Interview Question – Very granular line of questioning about the effective permissions of a FAS-sourced CIFS share presented to a windows client   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hourly rate was pre-set by contract. No salary negotiation occurred.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NetApp.

Interview Details – Initial technical phone screen. The Engineer asks a set of predetermined questions, think of it as a test, in order to gauge your technical expertise. Questions ranged from Hardware and Software, Windows Administration (DNS is a big one, AD, and Group policy) and some basic Linux administration. A few questions about NAS. And a hypothetical support scenario.

If you get a call back it will be to come in and speak with two of their Engineers. They will grill you on your resume, so know your resume! In addition they will likely ask some of the same questions that were on the phone screening. I feel they also asked me questions that they knew I would not be able to answer.

Interview Question – A hypothetical situation where I had to read an unfamiliar man page involving a commands and switches I was not familiar with, I had to figure out the correct syntax in a limited amount of time. At the same time I was being asked questions about various other technologies and problems another customer was having. I needed to resolve both issues in an extremely limited time frame.   View Answer

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at NetApp in March 2011.

Interview Details – Met with 2 members of technical staff. Grilled on anything that is on your resume. Interviewers will call in other staff members to ask technical questions about subjects they are not familiar with.

After technical staff proving grounds, met with one of the hiring managers. Went over personality traits and job requirements.

Interview Question – Multiple deep questions at once - testing ability to multi-task   Answer Question

Durham, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NetApp in December 2009.

Interview Details – It started with your basic phone interview. Questions to weed out the incompetent and the Liars. After that an onsite group interview was scheduled for the following week. This consisted of 2 parts; the first part was a review of skills with the Technical Staff which I was asked to rate myself in several categories from 1-5. Then questions were asked in that level of skills to further narrow down the exact skill set. It sounds difficult but if you know your stuff and are honest in rating yourself then it was fairly easy. The second part of the interview consisted of meeting with the managerial component of your group and this interview was designed to elicit an accounting of your soft skills and general "fit' within the company. lastly the interview contained a Q&A session in order to clear up anything not really spelled out in the previous interview parts and to answer any candidate questions.

Interview Question – What was the most amazing thing that you have seen in the last 18 months   Answer Question

Interviewed at NetApp

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews for technical skill and language skill.

Interview Question – How do you rate your self   Answer Question

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!