NetApp Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

3.2

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NetApp in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through Netapp website, was called by a recruiter who setup a 30 Minute interview with a higher level engineer. One week later was called in for an hour and a half interview with two more higher level engineers

Interview Questions

• describe the differences between how hosts connect via Cifs, NFS and iscsi   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NetApp

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NetApp in August 2014.

Interview

Initially spoke with recruiter on the phone for 5 minutes. Asked two questions, Salary expectation + Times available to work. Setup interview with internal engineers for two days later. Spoke with engineers on the phone for 20 minutes. Nothing technical, they just asked general questions. This was Friday and in-person interview was setup for Tuesday morning @ 8:00 am. First met with Sr. Escalation Engineers. I was asked some general troubleshooting questions. The questions were like something out of a test. Then was asked some troubleshooting questions. Interview was all across the board with no real structure. Afterwards, met with two managers. This part was more structured. They were more interested in customer service and to see if I would be a good fit. It was a bit impersonal because they were taking notes on their laptops. They said they would get back with by the end of the week but haven't heard back two weeks later. Recruiter has been responsive but I have gotten no good feedback just yet.

Interview Questions

• For kerberos authentication, what are the two services that it relies on.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NetApp (Research Triangle Park, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

basic Computer questions Basically they teach you everything, well you learn it by taking calls and being insulted. Learning on the fly, customers call in and you feel lost as he@@. Sometimes you'll have a colleague help if he's not busy or agitated. Take courses some where, it helps knowing SAN, NAS, etc.

Interview Questions

• Networking Cabling DNS Ip address etc   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NetApp (Wichita, KS) in April 2014.

Interview

There was a brief phone interview with the hiring manager followed by a face-to-face interview with 2 technical support people and two possible hiring managers at the NetApp site. I received an offer within the week, but there was a lot of confusion as HR didn't deliver the message. Instead, a recruiting firm that contracts with NetApp contacted me to let me know I was hired. At that time, salary was not even discussed and I was extremely confused. Turned out the manager sent my resume to the recruiting firm without letting me know and that caused a lot of chaos and confusion on my part since I thought the offer was coming from NetApp's HR. I should have known when the manager mentioned how NetApp was the only real player in town (he mentioned Koch, but we agreed Koch was't in the IT business although they do hire a lot of people for various IT positions). He mentioned how they basically can cherry-pick people because they were the only (big) IT player in town. That did not sit well with me since I have an extensive IT background and I'm applying for a peon position just to get back into IT and see what NetApp is about (my family lived in town so I moved back to hang out with them and thought I'd check out this company everyone was raving about online and in Wichita). I've worked for a company out of Sunnyvale, CA, before so I KNOW what a great company is supposed to be like. NetApp was not it based upon that interview process I experienced. I've never had such a negative interviewing process as I did with this company. People in Wichita should get the experience they need but then hoof it out of there after two years. They can get paid so much more in the bigger cities and not be treated as if they nobody.

Interview Questions

• They asked how you would troubleshoot an computer issue, network-related questions (OSI Level), RAID questions (I was asked a nested RAID), Linux-related questions, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NetApp (Durham, NC).

Interview

Initial technical phone screen. The Engineer asks a set of predetermined questions, think of it as a test, in order to gauge your technical expertise. Questions ranged from Hardware and Software, Windows Administration (DNS is a big one, AD, and Group policy) and some basic Linux administration. A few questions about NAS. And a hypothetical support scenario. If you get a call back it will be to come in and speak with two of their Engineers. They will grill you on your resume, so know your resume! In addition they will likely ask some of the same questions that were on the phone screening. I feel they also asked me questions that they knew I would not be able to answer.

Interview Questions

• A hypothetical situation where I had to read an unfamiliar man page involving a commands and switches I was not familiar with, I had to figure out the correct syntax in a limited amount of time. At the same time I was being asked questions about various other technologies and problems another customer was having. I needed to resolve both issues in an extremely limited time frame.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at NetApp (Research Triangle Park, NC) in February 2012.

Interview

There was some initial confusion early-on in the interview process as to the shift being interviewed for. NetApp support has a front end days / back end days, front end nights, back end nights type shifting schema. Plus, there are multiple support teams with sometimes overlapping responsibilities. Potentially, one could go in expecting to be interviewing for a front end days shift and end up interviewing for and being offered a weekend back end nights shift, which for many, would be very difficult to do. Post interview, the rest of the hiring process was fairly smooth with only a relative few short administrative hurdles required.

Interview Questions

• Very granular line of questioning about the effective permissions of a FAS-sourced CIFS share presented to a windows client   1 Answer

Negotiation

Hourly rate was pre-set by contract. No salary negotiation occurred.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at NetApp (Research Triangle Park, NC) in March 2011.

Interview

Met with 2 members of technical staff. Grilled on anything that is on your resume. Interviewers will call in other staff members to ask technical questions about subjects they are not familiar with. After technical staff proving grounds, met with one of the hiring managers. Went over personality traits and job requirements.

Interview Questions

• Multiple deep questions at once - testing ability to multi-task   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NetApp (Orem, UT) in February 2011.

Interview

It was really easy, they'd accept just about anyone with a pulse. One person from my hiring class had never worked professionally with computers at all. The interviewers were very friendly and I knew I'd be getting an offer within the first 3 minutes of the interview. First we did a 2 person technical interview, then moved on to a 1:1 management interview. I received an offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what a computer is?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NetApp (Morrisville, NC) in October 2010.

Interview

Recruited by a friend who worked at NetApp and he gave my resume to his manager . Was then contacted by NetApp corporate recruiter who set up a phone interview followed by an in person interview and sent me information on the position. NetApp website had a comprehensive job application to fill out.Phone interview was with Senior Technical Escalation Engineer - about an hour and was both personality and technical experience oriented. In person interview with 2 Technical Support Engineers from the team I would be working on -(one of them was the one who did the phone interview ) , and then met with the hiring Technical Support Manager. Overall they were very responsive and they process was quick and efficient. They respond to emails and phone calls usually with a couple of hours or less. Be prepared to reply to emails and phone calls quickly. They are a fast paced organization , so you get bonus points for quick and efficient communication.

Interview Questions

• Know as much as you can about their products and ask in depth questions, but don't bluff your way through it. They have a lot of technical depth so you can be a technical as you want with them. Questions about storage technologies - fibre channel, san, raid, and integration with windows , linux, and vmware. Describe specific examples of complex technical issues you have solved. You don't have to know storage - but you do have to have strong problem solving experience. They are impressed with in depth knowledge -and in depth questions -but don't fake it or they will nail you on it. They know a lot.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hiring manager asked me what salary I was looking for. I had checked Glassdoor for the position I was applying for and used that as the figure I asked for. They offered what I asked for and I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NetApp (Durham, NC) in December 2009.

Interview

It started with your basic phone interview. Questions to weed out the incompetent and the Liars. After that an onsite group interview was scheduled for the following week. This consisted of 2 parts; the first part was a review of skills with the Technical Staff which I was asked to rate myself in several categories from 1-5. Then questions were asked in that level of skills to further narrow down the exact skill set. It sounds difficult but if you know your stuff and are honest in rating yourself then it was fairly easy. The second part of the interview consisted of meeting with the managerial component of your group and this interview was designed to elicit an accounting of your soft skills and general "fit' within the company. lastly the interview contained a Q&A session in order to clear up anything not really spelled out in the previous interview parts and to answer any candidate questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most amazing thing that you have seen in the last 18 months   Answer Question