NetSpend Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.8

Security Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetSpend.

Interview

A very long interview process. You get drilled by 6 other engineers and the manager over questions that are questionable to the position being applied to. It seems that you need to be young, go drinking, and be part of the team outside of work in order to fit in and get hired. Good luck because you certainly need it! Older people with families, need not apply.

Vice President Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetSpend.

Interview

Tough - lots of rounds with various levels including stakeholders and peers. Prescreen with HR followed by interview with head of product, marketing and a peer head of BD before getting to the hiring manager interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you contribute meaningful revenue within the first year? Be specific.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy, HR was involved but hiring manager is very much leading negotiation.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NetSpend in October 2014.

Interview

I had a screening phone with one of the team members, he asked a questions about core Java, and SQL , I remember the below questions :

What is the different between checked and unchecked exceptios?

What is a concurrent exception ?

Tell me about static ?

Can we inherit a static method ?

What is memory leakage ?

What is a race condition issue ?

What are the drawback of stored procedures ?

What is the query plan ?

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetSpend.

Interview

The interview was done in 3 parts. I first met with my co-workers and was asked some questions about my technical experience. Next I met with the hiring manager and the network architect and I was asked a few more technical questions. I then met with the section VP. After the interview process the VP treated everyone to lunch at Bikinis.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate for a bit more, but was told that it was the most they could offer.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetSpend (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter (Staffing Agency) and the process took 2 weeks. First they did phone screen and after 1 weeks, they called for face-to-face interview.

I went for an onsite interview for a Java developer position. Office is located on 13th floor of Omni hotel in downtown, in other words, they have leased the office space inside Omni hotel. 5 people interviewed me one after another. Most of them asked me to write very tough code on the board in less amount of time and I went ahead and did as much as I could.. Most of the interviewer were very unprofessional and very rude. While I was talking to second last interviewer, HR came into the room and interrupted the interview. She called the interviewer outside for 2 mins and then interviewer came inside stating that there was some production issue and he really need to go. I was waiting for last interviewer person to interview me as it stated on itinerary. HR lady told me that last interviewer cannot take your interview because he is not here at the present. I was surprised to hear it as the whole interview was planned one and half weeks in advance and that guy is not here. HR said that I need to follow up with that guy over the phone or maybe I have to come again. I said to myself, no thanks, then I decided to pass.

I have been to almost 3+ interview in last 2-3 weeks and I have never seen such unprofessional-ism and rude interviewer. All other company interview ask lots of Java question but this company made me write tough java code on the board more then couple of times without the help of API help/exposure. At-least they could have been honest with me and tell me straight up-front, instead of wasted my time coming all the way to downtown. Luckily I had atleast 2 another Java Developers jobs offers in hand while I took this interview.

One day before onsite interview, HR told me to go to their site, enter my email address on their employment opportunity reset password, once I receive the password reset, they want me to fill out application. I have tried many times on password reset and I did not receive any email. They stated that their email is not working properly. Something very shady!!!

Similar dishonest and unprofessional-ism situation happened to somebody before last year if you see all the reviews here.

Interview Questions

• Write long java code about data structure (I do not remember)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NetSpend (Austin, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by Netspend for a phone screen, which went very well. I was then contacted to set up a face to face interview within the next week. I needed to provide a work sample, which I did, prior to attending the interview. I took time out of work to go to the interview, which was conducted very unprofessionally. The woman was yawning the entire time and brought nothing with her into the room but my resume. She wrote nothing down and even had to ask me the time towards the end of the interview. She stated someone would contact me. During the interview she mentioned that it would be at least 2 more interviews before an offer would be made and that she now wanted a writing sample (she claimed to enjoy my previous work sample so I wasn't sure why she asked me for yet more work samples). I emailed a writing sample and got no response. I emailed her the following week to inquire about the job and heard nothing. I then emailed the recruiter that I had initially screened with who told me I didn't get the job, and that the interviewer thought I wasn't "senior enough". The following day, the same recruiter called me to ask if I would come in for another set of interviews, with the manager of the woman I interviewed with and with that woman's manager. She said that she had told them that my resume fit the bill and wanted them to speak with me even though I had been rejected previously. I shouldn't have agreed to it. I came in the following week for my second set of interviews. From the beginning I could tell it would be a disaster as the manager of the woman I interviewed with had no idea that I had been in previously to interview. The manager that I interviewed with first during this second round of interviews was very professional and easy to talk to. The second interview was drastically different. He had no social skills and grilled me like I was in the principal's office. He asked questions that were irrelevant to designing training (see below) and generally made me feel uncomfortable. It has been 2 weeks, and I was told I would hear back last week. At this point, even if I were to receive an offer I would turn it down. 2/3 bad interviews are enough for me, and I don't have time to play games with my professional career.

Interview Questions

NetSpend Response

Jul 22, 2014Senior HR Manager

Unfortunately we were going through some internal transition in that department when you interviewed and miscommunication happened. Sorry for your bad experience and hope that you've found the ... More

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at NetSpend in June 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with HR Recruiter regarding position after employee referral. HR was less than enthusiastic in speaking with me regarding the position. She was clearly not enjoying what she was doing nor had any excitement for learning more about my experience and what I could bring to the company. After speaking with my employee referral, he explained she was overwhelmed, however that still does not excuse the lack of interest in speaking with future employees.

Interview Questions

• What would set you apart from other candidates that we are interviewing for this position?   Answer Question

Trainer and Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NetSpend (Austin, TX).

Interview

It took 8 days from application to face-to-face interview with hiring manager. The office was highly secured; they requested ID and agreement with non-disclosure before entrance. Interview questions were not terribly challenging, but it didn't seem that the interviewer was fully invested in the process. It was a quiet call center environment and looked like a nice, casual place to work.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time when you didn't like the direction that your superior provided to you. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The interview process consisted of several phone interviews including the hiring manager and internal recruiter followed by a half day face to face which consisted of 4 separate one on one interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NetSpend in November 2013.

Interview

Interviewed by two supervisors. Both asked questions and wrote my responses on their questionaire. Schedules were not discussed. Background and Credit checks were done after. Not interview with the Manager were done.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a situation when you did not agree with your leadership. How would you handle the situation when you know you are right and what was the out come?   Answer Question

I got another position internally at NetSpend in a different department.