Netflix

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in August 2012.

Interview Details – After applying through the company's website using LinkedIn, I was contacted by a recruiter the very next day. She set up a phone interview for the following week. The conversation consisted of the standard, generic interview questions that many inexperienced recruiters ask. At the end of the interview she asked me to come in for a group interactive interview the following week.

Once there, I saw my recruiter, another recruiter, the operations manager, two HR managers (who only came to listen for a little bit), one CS supervisor, and five other applicants. Everyone was very friendly, yet it felt a little robotic and superficial. They informed us they were going to try a few new interview techniques after we sat through an informational powerpoint presentation. The powerpoint was basically verbatim off the company website. I felt like it was a waste of time... They gave us the opportunity to start a fake business and pick out our roles based on a list they provided. Then, we had to discuss why we chose those roles and why we would be a good fit for them, although I think we all were a little confused on what we were supposed to say... They said they were running out of time and had to skip the other exercises, so we moved on. Veritably, it felt a little pointless. We then toured the facility and broke up into groups of two. We got to meet with a CSR and listen in on calls while the team discussed our candidacy in private. The operations manager came out and asked individuals one-by-one to either come into his office, where he offered the interviewees a job, or walk them to the door, where he would tell them they "would hear from the recruiter regarding next steps." The annoying part was how long he made people wait, especially those he wasn't even considering.

Overall: I left with a good impression of the company. It appears they treat their employees well, but it's definitely limited in terms of growth. The recruiting staff is young and inexperienced; yes, it shows. The management wants to make you feel as though you're valued, whether that to be true or not is unknown.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions, just a few pointless ones.   Answer Question

Santa Clarita, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Netflix in August 2012.

Interview Details – There was an initial screening from the recruiting agency, followed by a video and a phone call. They asked several questions about why I wanted to work at Netflix and my experience in customer service.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenging situation with a customer and how you were able to handle it succesfully   Answer Question

Hillsboro, OR

The process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied for the job through Craigslist. I was called by a lovely woman from Human Resources to set up a phone interview. This interview consisted of questions regarding my experience and background with computers and operating systems. I was then called in for a group interview where we were all given a computer. There was a 20 minute question and answer session where we all got the opportunity to answer the questions. Then there was a short test on the computer. This test was to see how well we were able to navigate the website and find information. It was a timed test and when we were done, we were asked to step out of the room and go to the employee break room to wait. We were then led back into the conference room and given a sheet of paper with information to send an email to them when we arrived back home. We were told that we would be contacted in the next few days when decisions were made. I received a call while driving back home to let me know that I had gotten the position. I never sent to email. She told me the terms of employment and asked me if I would accept the offer. I accepted the offer.

Interview Question – Describe an event where you had a difficult customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, you either accepted the offer or you didn't. All CSR's are paid the same rate and you only get a raise if you get promoted.

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in April 2012.

Interview Details – ok, so i applied online thru their craigslist posting,... they called me and we 1st had a brief phone interview, the lady that called,.. was very nice an conversational and laughed at jokes yadda- yadda ,.. after i passed her initial interview " do you know anything about net flix" "do you want full or part time" she scheduled an interview for that monday evening for me,
i went in, there was a guy waiting for me ... super nice once again he asked, what my experience was, which i've been recetionist so i was surprised 2 be hired,.. but anyways yeah he asked what are my best traits, do i know anything about netflix, and do i own netflix ... things of that nature.
then he told asked me if i was still interested in the offer i said yes of course!
and then he scheduled me for a group interview that next weeek
they ended up calling and rescheduling
so i showed up 3pm,.. and all the other ppl trying to get employed there were alot older than me, (im 18)
there was about 5 other ppl, but! once again as we waited for the managers, everyone was really nice and super conversational so my nervesnous went away
the group interview was very fast,
it was basicly a powerpoint presentation, like,.. 10 min long max .. maybe ecven 5
and then we did role playing .. each of us had to answer a question
EX: a lady calls in and says she just bought a cell phone and its not working,.. what do u tell her?
yes i know,.. that question had nothing to do with netflix but,... thats what they were asking us.
basicly show you empathize and that u care and ur good, and maybe tell her to restart her phone!
next after that, we went into the netflix area (which was right across the hall) and we each got to shadow someone
so basicly we'd sit right next to them and listen in on their calls, with the headphones provided and really get a feel for the job your about to have,
and i was actually nerves about that part but the reps. there are inviting and they know ur coming!
plus,.. lucky me i got 2 sit next to a hot guy,.. that helped ;)
so anyways,.. after about 30 -40 min of that,.. the manager pulls u back in to the other room and tells u if weather or not u got thejob,.. lucky me i did,. but then again so did everyone else in the group!
the guy i was shadowing even said that its really easy to get hired,.. as long as your not a killer or something ur in, and that the pay was worth it !

Interview Question – tell me some traits about yourself   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i didn negotiate

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in June 2011.

Interview Details – Netflix generally hires through a temp agency and you actually work for them for the first few months. After filling out a pretty general application (work history, short answer, etc), and doing a phone interview (role playing included) they will call you in for a group interview. They give you a tour of the facility, and have you take a skills test to ensure you know enough about tech support to meet there needs.

In the group interview they give an overview of the company and then engage in more role play. While it seems counter intuitive, you really should just ignore what company policy may be and make judgement calls. They'll teach you later what situations you can give out free goods, refunds, etc for. During this role play they really want to see how you deal with difficult customer situations, and whether you can tell the difference between the customer doing something wrong (mailing in personal property) and the company did something wrong (sending out an unreadable disc).

After the role play the recruiter announced that she would walk us out individually for a little alone time. She walked out half the people, and then told the rest of us that the previous statement was just a ploy to get rid of the people that didn't pass the group interview. She then asked us to remain longer and listen in on some live calls to get a better feel for the job.

The follow up job offer was pleasantly prompt.

Interview Question – A customer calls and angrily tells you that they ordered Barney (or similar toddler show) for their kid. The kid can work the DVD player, and knows the netflix envelope. When the movie arrived the kid grabs it and pops it in. Turns out it's a slasher movie. What do you do?

(Was framed as role play)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't much to negotiate for this position. Pay starts out the same for everyone, and they have so many applicants that they don't need to haggle. Additionally, the rate is pretty generous for the type of job it is.

Hillsboro, OR

The process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in September 2011.

Interview Details – Computer test asking about the company but you have access to the internet so its an open book test. Role playing questions and that was it.

Interview Question – What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had a 45-minute phone interview and then a 2-hour group interview with role playing and a few minor easy tests to take. I was hired and put in a notice to quit my job. Then the day I arrived for training, it became a nightmare scenario:

After Netflix hired me, they gave me a starting time to arrive to start the 2-week training. When I arrived, I was told that they only hired the first 50 people that arrived and I would not be given a job to work there.

I was employed at the time of interviewing with Netflix and since they offered me the job I quit the one I had. Now I have no job and cannot receive unemployment compensation due to quitting. At no point during my interview process when I was offered the job was I told "we will only hire who arrives first".

Based on how poorly Netflix has treated their customer base as of lately and my nightmare experience dealing with this company, I just hope karma works its magic in the end.

This entire ordeal has been a nightmare and I will probably be forced to break my lease, owe thousands of dollars in remaining rent, and will move back home despite having lived on my own the last 10 years with a solid job history. I cannot believe that any company would do to me what Netflix did.

If I had discoved Glassdoor and read the employee reviews written about this customer service call center, I would still have my life and the ability to pay my own bills working my old job.

Interview Questions

Hillsboro, OR

The process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in September 2011.

Interview Details – I found the job listing for Netflix on craigslist.org and submitted an application on Netflix's website. A couple of days later I received a phone call from a recruiter who wanted to know when we could schedule an interview. She didn't make it clear that we were scheduling a phone interview until the end of the conversation. The next day at the appointed time, I received the call and the interview began. It was a little strange. It was as if she was just reading my resume from the bottom up and asked if I liked the job and why I left. There was hardly any mention of my relevant skills or attitudes towards a call center environment, two things the application placed emphasis on. At the end I was told I would either receive a phone call or an email about the next step. I got off the phone feeling very unsatisfied. We spent more time talking about why I left a job in 2004 than anything actually relevant. Perhaps there is a method behind the madness, who knows.

Interview Question – "Why did you leave Aetna?"
"Personal medical reasons."
"Like what?"
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Netflix in October 2011.

Interview Details – I first got a call on Monday, the interviewer wanted to set up a time for a phone interview. We set it up for Tuesday.

She called me Tuesday, right on time. She asked some of the basic questions: "Why Netflix?" seemed to be a big one. She also asked about any previous customer service or call center experience I had.

She then had me do a roleplay. She pretended to be a customer calling in about a disk that she had received that was not working, and she needed the movie right away. I played the part of the Customer Service Rep that she was calling.

After the successful phone interview, she set up a time on Friday for an in person group interview. I was told it would last 2 hours. She sent me an email with paperwork I needed to bring in as well as my resume.

I showed up early on Friday and there were already other candidates waiting. In all, 11 people were interviewed at the same time. They do this so they can see your personality with other people, whether you are outgoing or shy. Be interactive! Dont be afraid to talk to the other candidates, they could be your coworkers soon!

We then went on a mini tour of the place (which is really awesome!). We were put into a room where we each had a laptop. We had to take a couple of tests to see where we stand electronically. For one of them, we had to listen to actual call scenarios and pick apart what the customer really needed. For the other, we had to answer basic questions about modems, routers, mac vs pc, etc. For the last, we are given a Netflix login and asked questions about navigating the site. If you are done sooner than your other candidates, you are asked to meet in the lunch room, which is a great way to see some more of the building and even talk to current workers.

Once everyone is back, we return to the room and do some more roleplaying. The interviewer again pretends to be someone talking to you at your place of business and has some sort of complaint (it is not all Netflix, mine was about me owning a cable company). As long as you relate to the customer and show empathy, you should do just fine! She told us consistantly, help the customer as if you were their friend (great values for a company!!).

After that, some of the group was eliminated but in a polite way (she took the only gentleman to not pass and walked him outside). Then the rest of us were asked if we wanted to stay half an hour and shadow a current employee to see what it was like. We all agreed. We were all then each placed with a representative, and just listened in on calls for the next half hour (my guy really knew his stuff!).

Then we were all walked back to the main building that we first entered. One by one they took us back, and then either offered us a position or thanked us for our time!

Interview Questions

• Why Netflix?   View Answer
  • You have a customer calling in who has a birthday party tonight for her son, and the dvd she has been waiting for to show the kids has not come in the mail yet. She is pretty upset and isnt sure what to do.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really is not much you are able to negotiate. They are a 24/7 call center, and the only one for Netflix in the US, so they need really open availability. They also prefer that you have extremely reliable transportation! They have a really cool benefits package. They give you X amount of dollars for medical a year, but if you dont need medical they just put it into your paycheck as extra money.

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in May 2011.

Interview Details – The phone interview was conducted by an individual who was extremely "green". He stumbled during the call, seemed to be reading from a script and made a few errors while reading. He apologized several times during the call - very sweet person but clearly not experienced. He asked me to come in for an interview in which I would be meeting several staff members - assuming these would be supervisors and someone from HR.

The in-person interview was actually a group interview which included other candidates and several supervisors. It went fairly smoothly and I was mentally assessing the other candidates as I'm sure they were doing also.

The call center was busy yet seemed to be running smoothly. We were told of the benefits packages which seemed to be better than average. We were told that the company is flexible when it comes to handling customer issues, allowing you to be the judge but I sensed that that isn't actually the case.

Interview Question – A customer calls stating they're having problems with their connection. How do you trouble shoot for them?   View Answer