Netflix

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in February 2010.

Interview Details – You are first screened via telephone. If that goes well, you're invited to a group interview where you answer/ask questions, take quizzes, etc.

The people conducting the group interview were usually the ones that also called you. They were uptight.

You receive a call and email - and after the group interview you are asked if you're still interested in pursuing a job with Netflix. You then submit your screening info for a background check. Then you're invited to training, which is 1 week of "classes" and 1 week of "School of Rock" or on the floor training.

Interview Question – What would you tell someone that is calling to talk about how Blockbuster is better than Netflix?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As a CSR, there is no room for negotiation.

Hillsboro, OR

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in June 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter called after I applied on the website for a permanent CSR position that has been advertised on Craigslist and in CareerBuilder, and he asked me to come in the next day for more questions (mostly about what I thought about the call center) and an internet/browser/Netflix website skills test that was very easy. I was asked to come back in the afternoon for a group interview, where we discussed some recorded CSR calls and responded to the interviewers comments as if the interviewer was a real customer.

Then things got weird. At the end of the 2nd interview, the group was told, "You know this is a temporary position, right?" After the interviewers left the room, we talked to each other and it turned out that none of us knew this - none of the recruiters had mentioned this and the ad that had been running said nothing about a temporary position. They had just changed the ad and were now only looking for temp people. It turns out that we would be employed through Aerotek for 30-90 days. Why wouldn't Aerotek do their own screening instead of the employer? It doesn't make sense for a company to do it that way. The whole thing ended up feeling very dishonest and deceptive and people were pissed since we had wasted time, effort, and gas (not a good thing for unemployed people).

Interview Question – So what do you think of our call center?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Since I needed a permanent job and that's what I had applied for, I left. I won't apply there again because I don't trust them after this experience.

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in December 2009.

Interview Details – hiring was quick and the interview process was easy. Just asked you how did you handle the last upset customer.

Interview Question – how did you handle an upset customer. did a typing test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Hillsboro, OR

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in December 2010.

Interview Details – I initially contacted the company based on a craigslist job post advertising a CSR position with Netflix. The ad noted that they were hiring for daily schedules. I gave them a resume, and my LinkedIn. Several days later, I received a call from Manager A, basically just affirming my interest. She said that I seemed like a good fit. We scheduled an appointment to talk further, and then go on to set up a group interview. Her available time was minimal, but we found something mutually agreeable. When the day came, she never called. I had to call in several times, and eventually spoke with an assistant who said, "sorry, something came up, let's re-schedule." We did, and I waited. Eventually Manager B called me, said A was no longer with them, and we scheduled a new phone interview. When that finally rolled around, she said that she couldn't offer me a daytime schedule, and was sorry that the job was misrepresented. I thanked her for her time.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Netflix?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Flakiness of hiring manager(s). Misrepresentation of offer.

Beaverton, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in December 2010.

Interview Details – Well, the lady was super nice, but it sounded like she was sucking on a lollipop or something for most of the interview. It lasted 45 minutes, and the last 25 minutes consisted of odd role playing, and when I expressed that I had never done this before during an interview, she really did not sympathize at all and was very negative with her suggestions, saying things like " I would really study hard for tomorrow's interview" and "well, you sure screwed that one up..." It was kind of hardcore.

Interview Question – I have a problem with my queue, I keep getting the wrong movies in the mail.   View Answer

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in September 2010.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview took about 30 minutes. The usual questions about your customer service experience, including a specific occasion in which you went above and beyond what was required of you to help a customer. Also some role playing, where the interviewer plays the role of a caller with a problem that you have to help her/him out with. At the end of the call, we set up a time for me to come in for a group interview.

The group interview was kind of ridiculous. You're going to hear a lot of bubbly talk about how great Netflix is, and how they do things different from their competitors, and blah, blah, blah. Just smile and let them keep talking. You will all be taken to a conference room and made to listen to a Power Point presentation, and then the main interviewer will call on people at random and ask about their impressions of the place and their experiences, if any, with Netflix in the past. Then you'll listen to some actual recorded customer service phone calls. At certain points, the interviewer will stop the tape and then pick a person at random to answer the caller's questions (in character as a CSR). You will get absolutely no feedback during this process, and if you try to bring a bit of levity to the situation the interviewer WILL NOT crack a smile. Just keep everything upbeat, force yourself to keep smiling, and avoid saying something like "I'm sorry, but we can't really help you" and you'll be OK. At the end of the interview, you'll be made to sit at a computer and, using a dummy Netflix login, answer a series of about 20 questions which you can look up the answers for on the site. It's timed, but you shouldn't have much difficulty getting to the end.

Overall, the group interview was an annoying slog to get through, but if you can fake enough enthusiasm, and have the basic conversational skills that most customer service jobs require, you'll do alright.

Interview Question – Describe an occasion in which you provided exceptional customer service in the past.   Answer Question

Portland, OR

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in September 2010.

Interview Details – I responded to an ad for a CSR position on Craigslist and they emailed me asking them to call back, so I did. We scheduled a phone interview in which the interviewer asked basic questions about my experience and tried to get a fee for my personality. Then we did two rounds of scenario role playing which were pretty simple and straightforward. When we were finished she asked me to come in for a group "Interactive Interview" and gave me some possible times. They ask you to come in 15 minutes early, so I showed up about 20 minutes before the start time. There wasn't actually a reason to be early, maybe they have a problem with people being late or something. But, we (the group of us waiting to be interviewed) sat and chatted while we waited. It was all very casual and laid back. First they gave us a tour through the call center which is much more open and inviting than most others I've seen. Then we went into a back room where we were pitched scenarios (we gave individual answers in the group setting) and asked how we would respond. Then we listened to actual calls and were called on for similar answers. The final part of the interview consists of a computer test. It's very easy if you are familiar with the internet, Netflix and using multiple tabs or windows. The questions cover information found on the Netflix site, some basic movie trivia and other basic internet searching.

Interview Question – *recording of actual CSR call* "I've recently upgraded to 6 discs at a time and now my movies aren't coming on time even though I send them back. What's wrong with my account? Do I need to change my plan?"   View Answer

Hillsboro, OR

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in September 2010.

Interview Details – An acquaintance had a recruiter at Netflix give me a call. The initial phone call was to set up a phone interview which took place a few days later. During the phone interview I was asked about my experience with customer service, how I handled certain situations, and what I liked most about helping others. The recruiter sounded very knowledgeable about Netflix, providing me with info on the job and company itself, but when I asked how long she had been working there, she told me only about a month. The recruiter several times mentioned that the job "wasn't that bad." We did a little role playing before the recruiter asked me to stop by for an interactive interview.

At the interactive interview I met about 6 other applicants. We were led from the front lobby through the office building with rows of desks and computer monitors. The walk took about 30 seconds before we entered a conference room where we all sat down at assigned seats. The interviewer asked us what we thought of the place. From the mere glimpse provided, there wasn't much to say. The interview began with us learning how Netflix was #1 in customer satisfaction. We were led to believe this was because of the customer service reps and their ability to resolve issues with customers.

During the next phase of the interview we listened to prerecorded phone calls and asked how we would handle given situations without prior knowledge of company policy. All they were looking for here was to show empathy. Indicate that the situation was unfortunate, provide a way to make amends or offer alternative solutions. The same goes for the role playing during the phone interview.

After all that there was a computer literacy assessment. Terribly easy. It merely assesses your ability to navigate the Netflix website. When you finish with the computer test you are given a piece of paper which informs you that if you are still interested in the position to email them.

Interview Question – Can you please describe a negative experience you have had in dealing with a frustrated customer?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After speaking with the recruiter, meeting the interviewer, visiting the facility, and after reading the reviews on this website from past and current employees, I just wasn't impressed. The staff did not instill confidence in me at all. I also felt the interviewer was misleading. Netflix is #1 in Online Retail Satisfaction according to the variables of price, merchandise appeal, website functionality and content and has nothing to do with customer service reps.

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in July 2010.

Interview Details – I applied via craigslist at around 10pm one day. I had a phone call the following morning that set up the phone interview the following morning. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a group interview the day after that. This was where I found it interesting. This "interactive" group interview was supposed to be comprised of role playing, which sounds silly and childish to many people, but I thrive on that due to my theater and video production background. However, this role playing consisted of listening to recorded calls, then everyone responding to a few phrases after it had stopped. They stressed to the group to NOT try and come up with a solution as we wouldn't know the policies on correct solutions until after training so really if you go to this training, listen to one of these calls and say, "I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I would be frustrated too. We value your business. Lets see what we can do." Bam, youve got the job. Oh, and there was a computer literacy test, that was supposed to test how well you can navigate around their website. But the machines that these quizzes were given on seem to have a RAM problem, and the programming was terrible as if you attempted to go back, it would freeze, or if you blinked at the computer wrong it would freeze.

Interview Question – How would you define customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. However, from the other reviews that I have read, mostly about shifts and time off, continually ask questions after the offer has been given and write down as much of what the person you are talking to is saying. I feel that they change their policies way too often and this is the closest thing i have to a contract as of yet. (verbal agreements are binding in the State of Ohio, I'm pretty sure that I learned in my media law class that verbal agreements are binding everywhere)

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in June 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online, the next day a recruiter called me and we set up a time for a phone interview. We had a great conversation and we set up a group interview time. The group interview was pretty fun basically just listened about the company and then listened to some calls and we participated in discussions about how the call went. We took a skills test and received an email about a follow-up

Interview Question – Nothing was really that hard, everything was really how you feel about a certain situation. Like what does good customer service mean to you.   Answer Question