Netflix

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in August 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR recruiter through LinkedIn, they came back only after a month for phone screening. This was followed by phone screening by hiring mgr, it was very quick <15 mins, I was told that I will get in-person interview soon.

In-person scheduling happened very quickly too. I interviewed 4 ppl, 45 mins each. HR person was very nice, approachable and easy to converse with. The following 2 ppl from peer teams also were quite nice; I was asked SQL questions and analysis approach which I expected to be asked.

The last 45 mins was with hiring mgr who seemed a bit uptight. He/she asked a very in-depth SQL question to solve a problem he/she had recently worked on. It was interesting to me that he/she would ask something which definitely didn't fit into the 45 min window that we had. He/she herself vaguely acknowledged it was a hard question. After 10 mins of try, it was followed by another in-depth SQL question.

It looked like they needed super analyst who could crack all kinds of in-depth data problems in span of minutes. I couldn't imagine working with somebody who had unrealistic expectations like this. I was happy when I got a call from there HR that they didn't pursue it. HR team though is super nice and persuasive and do a good job in profile matching. Just that Netflix's expectations are way out there and a geeky few will fit into that category.

Interview Question – In-depth SQL questions, that can't be solved in the given time frame with lack of tools.   Answer Question

Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in July 2012.

Interview Details – HR phone screen, then an interview with a hiring manager

Interview Question – How do you know if one algorithm is better than other?   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in December 2011.

Interview Details – I really thought the interview went well. Or so I thought. The director was impressed so was the manager and recruiter. Netflix is expanding into other markets and they like the experiences I have.

The position is with the analytics dept, which is more horizontal than vertical. Would have loved to work in a dept like that.

I have a lot of experiences with rec eng/sys and I seriously thought that I had a chance. Come to think of it, I feel that they are prying for what I do in my current company, ie methods, algorithms etc.

Ideas are dime and a dozen. Good thing is I have more in the bag.

Interview Questions

• Elaborate on the rec eng you developed for your company.   Answer Question
  • Why do you use XYZ method? And elaborate on how to improve content optimization?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix Data Scientist interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees and interview candidates.