Netflix

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Updated Jun 23, 2014

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix.

They move quite fast. One phone interview with the recruiter, and another detailed one with the hiring manager. Two onsite interviews with around 4 people first time (data scientists/engineers) and 3 people (higher level execs) second time. A mix of product, business, analytical and stats questions. Stats questions mostly revolved around A/B testing: hypothesis testing, etc. A couple easy-medium SQL questions. Analytical question included a hypothetical problem to analyze, metrics to evaluate product performance, etc. Higher level executives mostly focused on background and past experience.

Interview Questions
  • Toughest question was not technically tough, but helping a non-technical exec understand some technical concepts.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in August 2012.

Contacted by HR recruiter through LinkedIn, they came back only after a month for phone screening. This was followed by phone screening by hiring mgr, it was very quick <15 mins, I was told that I will get in-person interview soon.

In-person scheduling happened very quickly too. I interviewed 4 ppl, 45 mins each. HR person was very nice, approachable and easy to converse with. The following 2 ppl from peer teams also were quite nice; I was asked SQL questions and analysis approach which I expected to be asked.

The last 45 mins was with hiring mgr who seemed a bit uptight. He/she asked a very in-depth SQL question to solve a problem he/she had recently worked on. It was interesting to me that he/she would ask something which definitely didn't fit into the 45 min window that we had. He/she herself vaguely acknowledged it was a hard question. After 10 mins of try, it was followed by another in-depth SQL question.

It looked like they needed super analyst who could crack all kinds of in-depth data problems in span of minutes. I couldn't imagine working with somebody who had unrealistic expectations like this. I was happy when I got a call from there HR that they didn't pursue it. HR team though is super nice and persuasive and do a good job in profile matching. Just that Netflix's expectations are way out there and a geeky few will fit into that category.

Interview Questions
    • In-depth SQL questions, that can't be solved in the given time frame with lack of tools.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2012.

HR phone screen, then an interview with a hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • How do you know if one algorithm is better than other?   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Netflix in December 2011.

I really thought the interview went well. Or so I thought. The director was impressed so was the manager and recruiter. Netflix is expanding into other markets and they like the experiences I have.

The position is with the analytics dept, which is more horizontal than vertical. Would have loved to work in a dept like that.

I have a lot of experiences with rec eng/sys and I seriously thought that I had a chance. Come to think of it, I feel that they are prying for what I do in my current company, ie methods, algorithms etc.

Ideas are dime and a dozen. Good thing is I have more in the bag.

Interview Questions
    • Elaborate on the rec eng you developed for your company.   Answer Question
    • Why do you use XYZ method? And elaborate on how to improve content optimization?   Answer Question