Netflix

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Engineering

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – I was contacted via my LinkedIn account - the hiring manager and I had a common friend of mine. After I accepted the invitation to chat we had a long phone call. About two weeks later I went for a whole day of interviews and spoke with six people. On the following week had another two interviews with the higher management. At that point the hiring manager mentioned there was some reorg going and they'll have to hold the process for some time.

Overall the whole process was fair and everyone was friendly throughout all interviews.

Interview Question – Design thread syncrhonization function to access common resources.   Answer Question

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very well managed by Netflix HR. Good coordination on planning my flight and they put me up in a beautiful hotel. On Interview day, I spoke with four people. Everyone was friendly and they kept to the schedule. Questions were around strategy, past technical work and management experience. The HR person I talked with did a great job presenting the Netflix business, it's strategy for success, and culture. Overall, I was very impressed with everyone I spoke with and their level of professionalism.

Los Gatos, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in September 2010.

Interview Details – Netflix contacted me and after a quick phone interview with HR and the hiring manager I was flown out to California. I met with a few people including their senior leadership team (some of Reed's directs) and it was a fun day. The questions ranged from management style questions to technical problems to solve. It was a bit of a different interview style from Facebook or Google which put more emphasis on coding and architecture even for director level candidates. But it was certainly not unpleasant.

Interview Question – How many people have you fired?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be aware that Netflix will not give you any salary numbers until you say "I want to join Netflix" which I consider as just childish and cute. They say by their own account that salary is not the issue and it is true but that should not stop you from putting your best food forward.

Los Gatos, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in May 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiting staff was very professional and they moved quickly through the interview process. Phone screens were through and professional. I was flown in for an on site interview and they took care of all travel arrangements and accommodations.

I interviewed with six people on site. Everyone was prompt, professional, and friendly. I could tell that everyone enjoyed working there and was excited about their jobs.

Interview Question – Describe the architecture of a system you have worked on   Answer Question

Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in April 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen by HR, followed by phone screen by hiring manager and then an in-person interview, The phone screens were pretty generic and just went into your background and experience. In-person interview with engineers was great. But HR lady was a snob with a "holier than thou" attitude. Seemed to convey the impression that people were treated like work machines. If you do not perform, you are out the door the next day. While I had no issues with that, she herself did not seem smart enough to adopt that attitude.

Interview Question – How do you ensure that your group keep performing at a high level?   View Answer

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!