Netflix

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Global Payment Technology Interview

Director of Global Payment Technology
Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in September 2011.

Interview Details – My interview experience with Netflix was a strange experience. My initial communication with the Netflix recruiter was great, she was very nice and efficient setting up a phone conversation with the hiring manager, everything was scheduled down to the minute.

After the phone conversation I was invited to fly down to Los Gatos to meet with the hiring manager in person along with several peers of this position I was interviewing for. I did a lot of research on Glassdoor.com and spoke to several people about what Netflix's culture. I was very concerned about it what I read and heard from the people I spoke with.

The accommodations that Netflix put me in was a very nice 4 star hotel, the Hotel Los Gatos is a place I would stay at again. They coordinated the flight and provided reimbursement for everything (taxi rides, food etc)

everything was scheduled with the interview panel and clearly communicated to me in writing well before the interviews began. Everyone that I met with was nice and professional with the exception of the Director of Talent Acquisition she was very condescending. She asked me questions about Netflix's competition, of course I answered with Google, Amazon, Apple etc. She then proceeded to tell my why I was wrong and was not very nice about it.

The rest of the interview went on much like any other interview I have been through, the one thing that stood out for me was that everyone was very up front about the culture. If you do not have what it takes you will not last very long at Netflix they make no bones about it. Many questions focused on my experience with firing non-performers and how well I could recruit new talent. It sounds very much like a meat grinder working environment that I wanted no part of.

Leaving the interview I had no intention of accepting any offer that was made no matter how well it paid. I could tell that it would take a certain kind of soulless robot to work at Netflix. They were more concerned with my philosophy on canning people than on global payment technology.

Interview Questions

• How would you build an integration queue with Java   View Answer
  • Tell about how you would go about terminating a non-performing employee   Answer Question

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!