Netflix Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2015

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I applied online, then I got emails from recruiter, then hr phone screen, then tech manager phone screen, then fly out to los gatos for the final round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• You said you haven't done big data programming (pig/map reduce) in your past jobs and you're willing to learn. Well, let's give you a bunch of big data problems anyways.   1 Answer

I wouldn't bother if you had a family and life outside of work.

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

At least for professional positions at the headquarters office, the recruitment process is fair, friendly, and efficient. To protect confidentiality I will not reveal any specific questions asked, but they ranged the gamut from infrastructure architecture and design to simple programming "quizzes".

I submitted an application online and was quickly contacted by a recruiter who did an initial phone screen and then scheduled an hour long video conference with an engineer. Following that, a second video conference was scheduled with the hiring manager.

Netflix then arranged a flight out to California for on site interviews, and handled the travel arrangements very well (booking my preferred airline and flight times and arranging a very nice hotel near the office). The on site interviews were of average difficulty and typical of engineering positions at large companies. It is clear that Netflix takes their culture very seriously -- review the slide decks. Make sure to ask plenty of questions regarding their policies to ensure you are comfortable with things before proceeding. Ultimately Netflix decided I was not the right fit, and having been through the process I tend to agree.

I wish they had done a better job identifying a mismatch in backgrounds before the on-site interview, but came away from the process impressed at their efficiency and professionalism. Read the glassdoor reviews and culture deck before proceeding, but the interview process was great.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background. (Specific technical questions ommitted).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Nice people, seemed very competent at what they do.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that you did in the past , but don't want to do ever again.   1 Answer

Another offer

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Initial interview went well, they were overall happy with my skill set, but they were looking for someone with experience in a particular technology I wasn't proficient in.

Interview Questions

• Would you be ok moving to California   2 Answers

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Netflix in August 2011.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter initially. They saw my LinkedIn profile.

Interview Questions

• Would I be willing to relocate   1 Answer
    • How would I deal with extreme deadline pressure and a frantic work pace   1 Answer

Relocation

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2011.

Interview

I had a phone screen and an onsite interview.

The onsite interview was with five engineers and 1 HR representative. The interview was not too technical. But I was rusty. It was my first interview in a while. Expect questions on the basics of software development - coding, algorithms, data structures etc. The interviewers were polite, professional and cordial.

Do read the Netflix culture powerpoint slides which are on the internet.

Interview Questions

• One of the engineers described the inner workings of a product and asked some detailed questions.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in April 2009.

Interview

The process was very involved. I was interviewed by several people and then needed to meet with the management team. The process was laid out and I was in constant contact with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe your ability to deal with a very opinionated co-worker?   Answer Question
    • What would be your ideal outlook for what you want to accomplish?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix in April 2009.

Interview

asked questions not pertaining to job

Interview Questions

• what do you know about the company   1 Answer