Netflix

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in February 2012.

Interview Details – At least for professional positions at the headquarters office, the recruitment process is fair, friendly, and efficient. To protect confidentiality I will not reveal any specific questions asked, but they ranged the gamut from infrastructure architecture and design to simple programming "quizzes".

I submitted an application online and was quickly contacted by a recruiter who did an initial phone screen and then scheduled an hour long video conference with an engineer. Following that, a second video conference was scheduled with the hiring manager.

Netflix then arranged a flight out to California for on site interviews, and handled the travel arrangements very well (booking my preferred airline and flight times and arranging a very nice hotel near the office). The on site interviews were of average difficulty and typical of engineering positions at large companies. It is clear that Netflix takes their culture very seriously -- review the slide decks. Make sure to ask plenty of questions regarding their policies to ensure you are comfortable with things before proceeding. Ultimately Netflix decided I was not the right fit, and having been through the process I tend to agree.

I wish they had done a better job identifying a mismatch in backgrounds before the on-site interview, but came away from the process impressed at their efficiency and professionalism. Read the glassdoor reviews and culture deck before proceeding, but the interview process was great.

Interview Question – Tell me about your background. (Specific technical questions ommitted).   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Los Gatos, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in July 2010.

Interview Details – Nice people, seemed very competent at what they do.

Interview Question – Tell me something that you did in the past , but don't want to do ever again.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Another offer

Los Gatos, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in January 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview went well, they were overall happy with my skill set, but they were looking for someone with experience in a particular technology I wasn't proficient in.

Interview Question – Would you be ok moving to California   View Answers (2)

Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in August 2011.

Interview Details – Got contacted by recruiter initially. They saw my LinkedIn profile.

Interview Questions

• Would I be willing to relocate   View Answer
  • How would I deal with extreme deadline pressure and a frantic work pace   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Relocation

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in July 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone screen and an onsite interview.

The onsite interview was with five engineers and 1 HR representative. The interview was not too technical. But I was rusty. It was my first interview in a while. Expect questions on the basics of software development - coding, algorithms, data structures etc. The interviewers were polite, professional and cordial.

Do read the Netflix culture powerpoint slides which are on the internet.

Interview Question – One of the engineers described the inner workings of a product and asked some detailed questions.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Netflix in April 2009.

Interview Details – asked questions not pertaining to job

Interview Question – what do you know about the company   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in April 2009.

Interview Details – The process was very involved. I was interviewed by several people and then needed to meet with the management team. The process was laid out and I was in constant contact with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe your ability to deal with a very opinionated co-worker?   Answer Question
  • What would be your ideal outlook for what you want to accomplish?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix Engineer interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees and interview candidates.