Netflix I Interviewed for A Position On the Business Side Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

I Interviewed for A Position On the Business Side Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Gatos, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in April 2011.

I applied online and got a phone call from a recruiter two days later. I was scheduled for an hour interview with the same HR person a few days later. The interview went very well. The interesting thing was that the recruiter seemed to know a lot about the business and asked me some tough questions which made the process interesting. I got a call back the same day and had another interviewed scheduled with the hiring manager for a few days later. That interview was pretty simple with basic skills discussion and a brief overview of the job/company. The hiring manager said immediately after the interview that I would be called in for an inperson interview. I was scheduled for an all day interview for the next week. The whole in person experience was a bit odd from the minute I arrived at the location in Los Gatos. It was 8am and felt like 4pm on a Sunday - no one to be found around. The whole place felt deserted. There was only one receptionist in the whole building. I was escorted to the room I was supposed to interview in by the hiring manager who was first in line to interview me. I got to ask many questions during that interview which I appreciated. The next interview was with a potential colleague in the same team. She asked a few case questitons. She did not feel very happy with her position or the manager when I asked her a few questions about how she felt working there. The third interview was a full hour of consulting style case study. The three interviews after that was easy and involved general business questions (two of these were with HR). My last interview for the day was with a C level exec and was brutal. Pretty intimidating but apprently I did well as I got offered the job five days after the in person interviews. They do referral checks and do actually call your references. Make sure to have your references prepare a list of strengths and weaknesses. After the reference checks were completed the recruiter called me for another meeting which I thought was the second round of in person interviews. It was not an interview day though. They made the offer to me in person in the Los Gatos office.

At the end I got an amazing offer. 30% increase in total compensation from where I am right now. Sounds amazing, right? I declided the offer. I loved the offer and the job but I declined the offer becuase of the company and its ruthless culture. Not only did I decide that I am not a fit to the culture but I do not approve of such a culture. I am a very hard worker and I am very smart. I don't mind working long hours. But I could not work at a company that treated its employees as disposable "robots". I want to earn more but I also want to have a life. I did not want to risk my financial future (it seemed like getting let go is very easy and is in the hands of your manager and whether he/she likes you), I did not want to work long hours and still think my job was at risk, I simply did not want to take an unjustified risk (that felt way above average compared to other growth companies) for a little more earnings. Based on my research in glassdoor, talking to current and previous employees, reading the culture deck and interviewing there it just did not sound like a place I wanted to work for. A few key words I kept hearing were: culture of fear, revolving door, letting go, firing, work hard with no recognition, no job security, performance reviews very subjective, etc. It all came down to this: as a person you are looking for security in all aspect of your life. You want security in your country, home and relationships. Well, you also need it in your job. I don't care how much they pay or what growth story they have I declined to work at a place that offered less than average security compared to its peers. My advice is make sure you do your homework and know the risk you are taking when interviewing for this company. Until they make big changes to their HR policies and treat employees like humans (rumors do not come out for no reason at all) they will start losing interest in the eyes of the "smart" people they go after. No amount of monetary "carrot" will be enough to lure these guys in at some point. Glassdoor and people who submit reviews here were amazing help in my decision. Read every single review to make sure you are getting an accurate picture. It has been a few months since my decline and right now I know I made the right decision every day I go home and have time to play with my daughter with no job security thoughts in my mind. I am happy...

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!