Netflix

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

Fairly Easy for someone who is not shy or nervous around people. Role Playing is a huge part. Also only apply if you have empathy and oooh do not be callcenter-y! although you are applying to work at a call center. Although I have never worked at a call center.. I was way too professional for them. So I suggest being laid back and just talk about favorite actors, movies, etc, and dress like your homeless. Which was surprising to me, but hey that's their environment...and i'm just a little jelly because if i would of gotten the job I would had loved to come in to work wearing jeans and flip flops...

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Netflix.

Met with seven people total. I was astounded at how arrogant each person was. I think they were more focused on eliminating candidates rather than attracting them. Each person's commentary implied that I couldn't do the job because what they're doing is "so amazing." It's a call center, it's been done before.

Interview Questions
    • What we're doing here is really unique and we need someone that can really understand that. You know?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in February 2015.

The first group interview consisted of a brief introduction of Netflix and a 10 question test using Netflix Help Desk to answer those questions. The second interview was group-based with role-play situations. I did well but was told I was too professional and was not offered the job accordingly, which is fine. I take a lot pride in my work and my appearance and I wasn't offended when I didn't receive the offer of employment. Why? Well, for starters, they seem to only hire people who don't really care about their hygiene or appearance. The very first person I saw when I walked in, was a girl who greeted us that looked liked she hadn't slept in a couple days nor cared to. She had flips flops on and I could see and smell her filthy feet the whole time she talked to us, which wasn't pleasant by any means. Then, the guy she handed us off to, who facilitated the group interview, was nice but he was chewing food during the whole interview (90 minutes) and most of it made it into his beard, not his mouth. While on the floor, I saw a few people I recognized but not in a good way. I saw one guy that got fired from my last job for snorting meth in the bathroom. That said, Netflix is NOT my ideal place to work but if you don't care what you look like, how you smell, or even if you're comfortable working with drug dealers and users, than this is probably the BEST job for you. On a slightly positive note, it was definitely the weirdest, most unorthodox interview I have ever participated in and I will never forget it. My tip: If you REALLY want the job, don't go to sleep two days prior to your interview, don't shower, on your way to the interview maybe grab a $20 crack rock from your local drug dealer and rock out and you'll most likely get an offer of employment that day. If you're not one of those people, I would just not apply because that is EXACTLY what it will be like working there.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked pertained to situations that require you to use Netflix Help Desk.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

I think they are not serious about hiring and just browsing the job market to see how much other people are getting. Had the usual phone screen which was pretty easy , mostly questions related to HashMap and how its implemented in Java , why equals and hascode function are required etc. Then there was simple coding question.
    After that there were onsite interviews. First interviewer asked question about how to figure rectangles objects are equal and then HashMaps and how to implement hashcode function . He was pretty adamant about hearing catch phrase "strategy design pattern" even after providing the solution which was what strategy design pattern would have done.
    Second interview as 2 coding questions related to median of array and print level order , it was pretty easy.
    Third interview was a design interview.
    Forth was more behavioral with director.
    Fifth with HR, she tried to much to sell Netflix and asked questions about how much I am making, I told her I dont feel comfortable telling the exact figures but told her what my expectation is. She didnt let it go and said because they have to be on top of the market my exact figures are quite important, which i didnt get.

Got rejection email after a day which was a surprise as my interviews went well. I asked for feed back but they never returned to me, I guess they got what the needed. Anyways wouldn,t have left my current job for Netflix because I kind of got the feeling about their culture which I am afraid close whats there on the Glassdoor.

Interview Questions
    • Median of stream of integers, solved using two heaps min and max.
      Print tree level wise

View Answer
    • There are 10000 servers and need to send a file of size 1 MB to each server, starting from laptop and there is only 1 MB bandwidth between each server. Shortest time in this is possible . Solved using tree and can be done in logarithmic time.   Answer Question

Digital Account Specialist Interview

Great initial phone with recruiter. Terrible second interview. Manager did not have questions prepared. Insisted that company never hires from within so should look for job growth elsewhere. Was not sure what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • first question - do you have questions for me?   Answer Question
    • if this was the only job you would ever have at Netflix would you be happy?   Answer Question

Global Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix.

I had a really terrible experience with the whole Netflix interview process and I am still appalled by my experience. A recruiter seeked me out on LinkedIn and told me how impressive my back ground was. After a month, a phone interviewed was scheduled with the recruiter then the next day I had a phone interview with a manager. Another month later I was finally scheduled for an in person interview. I met with 4 different people. I felt that most interviewers were very cold towards me, seemed bored, and asked me questions that didn't even relate the position. The last interviewer was probably the one of the rudest person I've ever met. She didn't even make eye contact with me, kept asking me questions that were not even related to the position and had such a sarcastic attitude after I responded to each one of her questions. I walked out feeling awful

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

I applied for the role online as I figured I've got a good background for it. Indeed, I got an email from a recruiter who called me afterwards and set me up with a phone screen. Both phone screens were very pleasant and professional. I was asked a lot of questions about my background and some general multimedia programming related questions which were fair all in all. After a few days I was asked to build a small framework which can show my coding skills and understanding of the subject. The suggested deadline was 6 days afterwards. I was happy to take the project however due to a stressful project I had at my job I asked for an extension. To which I was answered: "Ok, but please take into account that we're interviewing other candidates at the same time and we might progress with them". I gave it my best efforts and put anywhere from 15-20 hours into building and testing my solution and was able to submit it one day before the suggested deadline. According to my understanding the hiring manager was happy with my implementation as a recruiter called me in order to coordinate an in person interview day and schedule flights and accommodation for the trip. Needless to say I was happy when I received the suggested itinerary. However, 10 minutes after receiving the email I received a phone call from the recruiter who told me that while the team would be happy to meet me, they are already in advanced stages with an another candidate so it wouldn't be a good use of my time to make the trip. I just felt rather uneasy since I totally played by Netflix's rules and despite that I feel like I wasn't given a fair chance eventually. I feel that the hiring process was unprofessional and unethical in my case.

Interview Questions
    • Implement this relatively big framework in a short time period especially given that I've got a full time job as it is.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

I had applied on the job portal and was contacted by the recruiter who set me up for an interview with the Manager. It was pretty basic and I was asked for a coding interview. In the coding round I was asked to code one problem for which I provided two solutions (both working) one O(N) and another optimized O(1). I was pretty confident that I would go through to the next round but got an email telling me that my skill set wasn't an exact match for the position.

Although the recruitment team is thoroughly professional I can't understand why the "perfect match" wasn't thought about after going through my resume itself. That could have saved a lot of time and energy that was wasted both mine and theirs.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

I applied online, then I got emails from recruiter, then hr phone screen, then tech manager phone screen, then fly out to los gatos for the final round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • You said you haven't done big data programming (pig/map reduce) in your past jobs and you're willing to learn. Well, let's give you a bunch of big data problems anyways.   View Answer

I wouldn't bother if you had a family and life outside of work.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in January 2015.

I applied via their website. I received an email about 12 days later asking to come in for a tech assessment which was done in a group phase of about 8 ppl. The tech assessment was just to see how well you could navigate on their search engine and as long as you passed the assessment you would get to do a small role play with the recruiter. If you pass the role play you will be asked to schedule a second and final interview. Final interview was also a group interview where we watched a slide show about netflix and then had to answer two role play scenarios. The supervisors were really critical but it really helped us break out of our shells and show our true personality.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly easy, it was just the fear of getting over role plays.   View Answer
    They go through a recruiting agency for payroll so i did not have the chance to negotiate. Pay is still really good for the line of work.