Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014
Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Was contacted by recruiter and after a couple of initial conversations had a couple of phone calls with hiring manager and another senior engineer. This was followed by full day on site interview with other engineers on the team, the hiring manager and a few executives.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult. Basic java, algorithms and design questions.   Answer Question

Lab Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Netflix.

Applied online. Was called within a week for phone interview. After first screen, came a tech screen then a tech homework assignment. Passed all that and flown to Los Gatos. Three more tech interviews then 3 more company pitches with business leads.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Netflix.

I was contacted by a recruiter for the company, and given links to Reed Hastings' famous Powerpoint deck about how Netflix is managed. I'd recommend reading this before talking to them, not just so you are more familiar with how things are done in Los Gatos, but because you will be asked to give your thoughts on this during the initial screening.

The screening was nothing unusual, though it focused more on how you'd fit in with the company culture than the usual; it's clearly very important for Netflix.

ELearning Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in August 2014.

A recruiter pursued me via LinkedIn, after my resume was submitted, recruiter asked if she could have a quick 30 minute call to discuss the position with me. I agreed to the call which consisted of a barrage of questions and zero mention of the role itself. Questions include tell me about you, summarize your work experience, tell me about projects you worked on from start to finish.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in June 2014.

Applied online and HR got back to me within a couple of weeks. The process took around 3 weeks. The interview with HR was a standard interview where we talked about my background, technical skills, programs I use...etc. HR also asked questions about the company: Why Netflix? Are you a member? What do you think about values of Netflix? Pick 3 that would suits you best and explain why.

After a week, they arranged a phone interview with the Hiring manager. He was very friendly. We talked about my background, he gave information on the position and asked a couple of technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prevent overfitting and complexity of a model? How do you measure and compare models? How should we approach to attribution modeling to measure marketing efffectiveness?   Answer Question

Language Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in August 2014.

I was first asked by a recruiter through LinkedIn whether I would be interested in the position. I sent them some further information via email. I was then interviewed (video chat) for about 20 minutes.

Digital Account Specialist - Europe Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in August 2014.

The phone interview was very casual. I had spoken to several Netflix recruiters in the past, but this was the first time I talked to someone who actually worked in the department I was interviewing for. The call lasted about 10-15 mins and consisted mostly of a description of the job, the department workflow and what kind of traits they were looking for in the candidate. I was expecting a much more thorough or intense interview given Netflix's reputation of "excellence" and high-performing workers, but the person I spoke to make the company sound rather boring and actually described the job as a "regular job" with "regular benefits" - an invitation for mediocre employees if there ever was one.

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult situation you were in and how you resolved it? What would you bring to Netflix that makes you better than other candidates?   View Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Started with recruiter. Basic questions, nothing fancy. Trying to gauge my interest in the job and in Netflix. Next step phone interview with manager. Similar questions but more detail about position. Both people were easy to talk to and not stuffy at all. Next step is face to face.

Accounting Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter at Netflix and we had an initial phone interview about a week later. First of all, the recruiter was based out of state. He contacted me on my secondary phone number instead of my main line and the call came late. I had a hard time understanding him to begin with as I think English was his second language. I asked a few questions myself which he answered irrelevantly. The questions were purely experience based and nothing out of the ordinary but I could tell he wasn't an experienced recruiter and didn't seem passionate about the job as most at reputable, big companies don't seem like they're ticking off questions on a checklist but keep the conversation flowing naturally, but geared towards a purpose. I thought to myself the entire time, I wouldn't want to work for this company if these are the values they stand for. In the end, they had already filled the position, but it was really no loss since I hadn't applied in the first place, but they had initially contacted me.

Director of Talent Acquisition Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

I was initially contacted via Linked In about this position. The person who initially contacted me left the organization and I didn't hear back from my initial response for several weeks. An initial call was scheduled and conducted by someone not even in the same group. The recruiter was unable to answer my questions about the position. The interview process was outlined to me which included hearing back from the recruiter within a few days. It has been more than two weeks and I haven't heard anything - not even a 'no thank you' email/notification.

Interview Questions

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!