Netflix

246 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Be ready to provide specifics surrounding your skills and experience. Think about creative solution oriented responses. Very focused on your ability to engage customers. Exude confidence. Be prepared to role play. And don't be late. Very friendly atmosphere.

Interview Question – The role playing scenarios required you to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None necessary, they pay well.

Senior Analyst - Marketing Planning & Analysis - Originals Interview

Senior Analyst - Marketing Planning & Analysis - Originals
Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume via an internal contact, was contacted by HR a week later to schedule a 30 min. phone interview. She sent the culture deck for me to review before our phone call. She was very nice and asked questions about job experience and gave a little bit more background to the position and asked me my thoughts on the Netflix culture. A couple of days later she emailed and said she wants to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager (who is based out in the Los Gatos campus) for the next day. She also sent along Netflix's long term view on their Investor Relations website to review before the call with the hiring manager. Found it an interesting read, but irrelevant to the interview. ~30 min. phone interview with the hiring manager, asked about experience and background and told me what he envisioned for the role. Told me the HR rep would be in contact with me in the next couple of days.

Phone interview with Hiring manager was on Thursday before a holiday, and was contacted by the HR rep on Monday to invite me to come in for an onsite interview. Said the scheduler would contact me. On Wednesday the scheduler contacted me and asked me to come in on Friday, which didn't give me much time to arrange time off from my current employer, which I didn't appreciate. We made it work either way.

Was scheduled to interview with 4 people in a span of 2 hours: the hiring manager (who was in the Beverly Hills office that day), and 2 directors from other business units the role would frequently interact with, and 1 video conference with a different HR person. First interviewer was 15 min. late which cut into our 30 min. interview time slot. Otherwise punched through all the interviews, everyone was intelligent, bright, and friendly. Interview was on Friday afternoon and was told HR would get back to me early next week. Was contacted via phone call on Tuesday afternoon to say that "although the feedback was positive, the team thought that you weren't perfect for the role." Which seems to be the generic rejection statement they give everyone.

I asked the HR person if she had any specifics about why they decided not to move forward with me as a reference going forward, and she had no specifics, suggested I speak to the hiring manager. Emailed him, but highly doubt he'll respond.

Overall questions were pretty generic and average. I didn't get a bad feeling from any one person. The hiring manager asked me a couple of "case" like questions regarding hypothetical scenarios. The HR rep asked me my thoughts about the culture and if I watch any Netflix Originals.

Interview Question – -Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
-If you had to take away everything you know about your current position where you work, what would you be doing?
-If you had no metrics, how would you plan the budget for a marketing campaign?
  Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Team Lead
Los Gatos, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

Interview Details – Informal atmosphere. Two phone interviews followed by in-person interview with individuals. The results were very quickly communicated. No long period of waiting to hear.
At Netflix preserving the culture is important. Netflix claims to not want process and maintain the informality. However, as Netflix grows they need some structure and process.
Does Netflix hire based on skills or culture match?

Interview Question – The actual questions were not difficult. How do you bring process and structure to a company that does not want to be organized.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Applied - and received email to set up time with the recruiter for a phone interview. Emails exchanged - times set up and then changed on their end. Felt like it was an interview just to comply with hiring practices and that they already had a candidate in mind.

Interview Question – Do not feel the recruiter had a grasp of the position and was asking cliche questions straight out of HR books - Where do you see yourself in xx years, what was your major accomplishments, why do you want to work here etc. No real questions pertinent to an experienced executive. Threw me completely off my game.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
Los Gatos, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – They move quite fast. One phone interview with the recruiter, and another detailed one with the hiring manager. Two onsite interviews with around 4 people first time (data scientists/engineers) and 3 people (higher level execs) second time. A mix of product, business, analytical and stats questions. Stats questions mostly revolved around A/B testing: hypothesis testing, etc. A couple easy-medium SQL questions. Analytical question included a hypothetical problem to analyze, metrics to evaluate product performance, etc. Higher level executives mostly focused on background and past experience.

Interview Question – Toughest question was not technically tough, but helping a non-technical exec understand some technical concepts.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Staffing Interview

Staffing
Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

Interview Details – Painful interview both physically and emotionally. Span of 4+ hours over lunch with no food. Some very standoffish interviewers who literally leaned back in chairs with arms folded across chest. Body language was not pleasant. Very elitist culture of "we're special and not everyone is special enough for us". Constant messaging of our "freedom and responsibility" culture is so unique. 'not everyone gets us'. Very much an "us" and "them" mentality. Not open to diversity of thought or experience.

Interview Question – All they kept asking was "what questions do you have for me" and when I was curious about certain areas like how they operate without any process or guidelines they turned it around and decided if I had questions it must mean I don't believe in their freeforall culture. Be careful what questions you ask. They may misunderstand curiosity and interest for something else.   Answer Question

Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Machine Learning Engineer
Los Gatos, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Netflix in March 2013.

Interview Details – Sent resume through LinkedIn, contact by mail. Made a short phone call with HR and a technical one with Research director. The first phone interview with HR was very easy. The next one was roughly 45 minutes with a lot of questions about practical machine learning alorithms. Pros and cons of the most common ML algorithms should be something you must be ready to explain.

Interview Question – How do you build a system similar than Netflix?   Answer Question

Driver Interview

Driver

Interviewed at Netflix

Interview Details – 'Accidently' came across the phone number for the local hub in town. Manager said he was 'impressed' by that alone. Scheduled an interview within the week. Standard behavioral questions. Was on the clock within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions. Nothing of note.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in April 2014.

Interview Details – Good data structues and algorithms questions. I recieved immediate response from interviewer that I did good, as I not just provided good solution but also optimized the solution and provided correct complexity.
One round with HR. Had great conversation until the interview hit a rock bottom on culture concerns. :(

Interview Question – What do you not like about Netflix culture ?
I said the truth and there it went all bad, ( I ws a bit concerned before the interviews after learning about their culture from glassdoor reviews and ofcourse the slides state it clear). If you can take the risk it's a high rewarding good bet otherwise you are way better off few ks below their offering at other better places.
  View Answer

Senior Api Engineer - Tools Interview

Senior Api Engineer - Tools
Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initial contact and the follow up was really good. I was not actively looking and the recruiter contacted me via LinkedIN. Prompt , courteous followup. The initial Interview was from the recruiter.

-Next from the Hiring Manager - A couple of technical questions in Java (nothing too difficult, mostly on collections).
-Second round was from a senior developer from the team. Collaborative/online coding session. Again Nothing difficult. A simple String Reversal (without using Java Api) and a Shell Script
- Scheduled for in-person interview. Flew to Los Gatos. 45 minutes a piece.
         - Manager - mostly about the current work, architecture and my specific role
         - Senior Person who did the telephone round - More on dependency management, practical issues, Gradle, tools, open source software opinions
         - Senior Developer - A quick Java Coding question:. The second question was more of a stylistic or a tool related question (Mock framework) and I was caught a little off-guard on what the interviewer was really trying to get out of me. I still felt it was a little silly if anybody was gauged on a tool/api
        - Another Senior Developer - Scaling, Log files, HTTP codes, RESTful service Error Handling.
        - Recruiter - About Netflix culture

- Director - General overview and questions

- Next was the bummer: The manager came in at around 4:30 and gave the feedback:: Looking for a candidate with more Java Background :). Seriously, There were two questions on Java and I am pretty confident I got one of it right and the other was tool related.

No Datastructures/Algorithms or logic testing questions. I was not sure how they came to the conclusion tha I am not a good Java candidate. (Oh well, been coding in java only for 14 years now)

But, I did contact the hiring manager for a detailed feedback and was told, more than Java, they didnt feel I would complement their existing team's skill/strength. (which is what, I do not know :) )

That is the end of the story:. Moral: It was just not my day. In all fairness, everyone were professional, but I felt there was a huge gap in how they were evaluating a candidates skills. Believe me, this is not the Grapes are Sour story :)

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult I would say. If you are an experienced candidate, no curve balls - not atleast in my case.   View Answer

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!