Netflix

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

I had applied on the job portal and was contacted by the recruiter who set me up for an interview with the Manager. It was pretty basic and I was asked for a coding interview. In the coding round I was asked to code one problem for which I provided two solutions (both working) one O(N) and another optimized O(1). I was pretty confident that I would go through to the next round but got an email telling me that my skill set wasn't an exact match for the position.

Although the recruitment team is thoroughly professional I can't understand why the "perfect match" wasn't thought about after going through my resume itself. That could have saved a lot of time and energy that was wasted both mine and theirs.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

I applied online, then I got emails from recruiter, then hr phone screen, then tech manager phone screen, then fly out to los gatos for the final round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • You said you haven't done big data programming (pig/map reduce) in your past jobs and you're willing to learn. Well, let's give you a bunch of big data problems anyways.   View Answer

I wouldn't bother if you had a family and life outside of work.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

I was contacted by a recruiter and was scheduled a phone interview in which I got a brain-teaser.
    I was brought on site and was interviewed by 6 people. Interview took 5 hours. In the last 2 hours I got a headache due to being hungry. Some of the interviewers were texting on their phones while I was answering their questions (several times). Some others were checking their phones constantly while I was talking.

Interview Questions
    • Some interviewers were not able to explain their questions clearly. Questions were not hard but poorly posed.   View Answer

Senior IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in January 2015.

First phone interview - This lasted about 15 minutes.
    I was first contacted via LinkedIn and was given some information to read in advance which included a 100+ slideshow. This was never brought up as a topic of discussion on their end later in the initial phone interview. It also didn't seem to impress them when I decided to mention and express the value in being able to view thie PowerPoint from start to finish and knowing more about the "opportunity".
    Interview questions included:
    "Tell me a bit about yourself?"
    "What IT knowledge do you have?"
    "Tell me about your current position and role?"
    That was pretty much all of the questions asked.
    Overall, I am really disappointed with the experience I had through this interview process. I had a very positive and enthusiastic attitude throughout the interview process. The interviewer was not even in the IT department, and was unable to answer any of my technical questions I had for the company. The response to the questions I had for the interviewer was that they were "excellent questions" and that they will get back to me with an answer, which never happened. The most technical comment from the interviewer was that I would need to know how to setup and configure various devices such as printers... Really?
    It is very difficult to explain over 10 years of technical knowledge and experience to a non-technical person in under 15 minutes.
    I was then told that a decision will be made in the next few days and they will let me know. Several days later, I was getting a little concerned and decided to reach out to them to follow-up on my status. Shortly after, I was given a canned response.

Interview Questions
    • Need to know how to setup hardware such as printers.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in December 2014.

I was contacted by a Netflix recruiter on LinkedIn, and agreed to go ahead with an interview.

First up, I talked to the recruiter, who told me about Netflix and the particular team, and asked me some basic non-tech questions about my past experience and salaries expectation. The usual recruiter staff.

Then she schedule a 1.5 hrs phone call with the hiring manager for that team. I was told it was going to be a technical interview with coding exercise and all.

First the hiring manager calls me before the call and tells me he was not going to make it on time and will call 30 mins later than actual time. Ok nice to get a courtesy call, appreciated.

The actual interview was complete waste of time. He started by blabbing about his team and what they work on and which in reality was nothing exciting, a team of glorified Research Assistants. They own recommendation systems and basically needed a lot of working with machine learning guys and facilitating their A\B testing, and launching that one model that actually works.

They he asked me to tell my own experience, so I described in detail different companies I've worked for and the projects I have worked. Mid-way he cuts me asks how was the transition from one role to another role, which I answered. Then he asked me what my team-mates would describe me. I answered someone with bias for action who get things done.

Then he asked me if I had any question, and I asked a bunch of questions.

He didn't asked me a single technical question. The closet thing to a technical question was "How would to rate your coding skills from 1-5", to which I said 4-4.5. Isn't that the whole point of this interview. Give me question to code and rate yourself.

And then he goes on to give me the most stupid reason for not going ahead. "You don't have the number of experience". As a seasoned interviewer myself I couldn't believe he said that. I expect that from a small company run by a bunch of non-tech guys, but this was ridiculous beyond any reasoning. I understand if he didn't like something he saw, but seriously.

I've worked for 3 years for one of the biggest tech company (13x Market cap compare to Netflix) and another year at a video gaming giant, and am currently working for the biggest online retailer. Hell, Netflix run on systems we develop.

And he still somehow had the guts to tell me to keep in touch, and that I'm smart and definitely have the rights skills set, and should apply in a few a years.

It was a complete waste of my time, and I don't know what he was trying to prove.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions asked.
      Tell me about your experience/
      How from the transition from role A to role B?
      How would your team describe you?
      How would you rate your coding?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix.

I was contacted by a Netflix HR rep via linkedin. I followed up, spoke to the HR person, and then had a phone interview with a technical manager. I passed that initial phone-screen, but declined the on-site interview when I realized that all Netflix employees work on-site in Los Gatos, CA, and I would have had to relocate.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview covered some simple algorithmic questions - what is the complexity of lookup/insert for a linked list? A hash table? We talked through the computation of Fibonacci numbers.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Netflix.

Phone interviews w/ hiring manager and an engineer on the team.

They flew me in for a packed day of interviews. Went reasonably well, but one interviewer probed pretty deeply into operations issues / monitoring tools I didn't have direct experience with.

Hiring manager said they were conflicted but my lack of ops experience was a deal breaker.

Interview Questions
    • What, precisely, does the load average in `top` signify, and what does it look like if all threads in a pool are blocked?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in November 2014.

Group interview, about 6-8 people in a room they show you a presentation and then ask you one question. Then had to answer two mock customer service questions over the phone. First question is a made up scenario but a typical customer service question. The second question was a specific Netflix technical question that you had to answer using there system. Didn't require a resume or ask to see it. All they have you do is fill out an application.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite movie & tv show.   View Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week.

The conversation went pretty well except for the tone of the recruiter. She seemed to really not enjoying being on the phone with me. I made it through to the next round and had a telephone interview with the person who I would report to. She called me approximately 10 minutes late and then let me know that she only had 20 mins to talk because she had a meeting. The overall tone of the interview was rushed. I could tell from the minute that we were on the phone that this was not going to be a good interview. I swear I could hear a ticking bomb in the background that just wanted to go off. After we chatted, she said that she had not talked to the recruiter but would discuss with her.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Take me through your typical day at work?
      2. What would be the most challenging aspect of this job?
      3. Do you work better independently or in a team?
      4. Why are you interested in this position?
      5. Why do you want to work here?
      6. How do you feel about Netflix culture?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin. They ask some basic engineering questions to weed out any mismatches. Then you have a technical phone screen with hiring manager. If that goes well, then there is an onsite where you meet the Hiring Manager, HR and other senior engineers on the team. If that goes well, you get called on for meeting at exec level to filter for a culture fit.

Interview Questions
    • Very detail oriented. Be prepared to come up with design/product improvement based questions. Nothing difficult really, but the answer can get tricky as they deep dive further into the design/ architecture discussions.   Answer Question
    They pay top of the Market. I did not feel the need to negotiate. Very happy with the offer. Also, they are very persuasive. They make you feel needed.