Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.9

Customer Service Representative Interview

Easy job to get, just apply online, no walk-ins, and no calls. Once you apply online they will call you, so answer all calls the number had a 204 area code. The first interview consisted of a typing test and grammar test. If you pass those tests then you will be given a short computer literacy test, followed by a short interview (nothing to worry about just common sense). If you qualify to this point you will be given a second interview. At the second interview get there about 15-20 minute early, they will have you take another short test about www.help.netflix.com. You will look up answers to questions using help.netflix.com. There was one question about an audio problem while watching netflix on a kindle fire, the answer is to reboot the device, but you will not find a specific answer on the help site. After that comes the role playing part of the interview. Two team leaders give an imaginary scenario, where they pretend they are calling customer service (you), with a problem. Remember they are not looking for you to solve any problems, they want to see you build relationship with this fake customer. First thing to remember is to relax there is no wrong answers, second ask for the callers name and proceed to engage the customer in way that entertains and befriend the customer. Remember your goal is solely to befriend the customer, the customer's problem will not be fixable show try to make comments on the callers name, situation, but keep it funny and entertaining.

Interview Questions
    • The role playing please be as fake as possible, to build a short friendship.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Was contacted by recruiter and after a couple of initial conversations had a couple of phone calls with hiring manager and another senior engineer. This was followed by full day on site interview with other engineers on the team, the hiring manager and a few executives.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult. Basic java, algorithms and design questions.   Answer Question

Lab Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Netflix.

Applied online. Was called within a week for phone interview. After first screen, came a tech screen then a tech homework assignment. Passed all that and flown to Los Gatos. Three more tech interviews then 3 more company pitches with business leads.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Netflix.

I was contacted by a recruiter for the company, and given links to Reed Hastings' famous Powerpoint deck about how Netflix is managed. I'd recommend reading this before talking to them, not just so you are more familiar with how things are done in Los Gatos, but because you will be asked to give your thoughts on this during the initial screening.

The screening was nothing unusual, though it focused more on how you'd fit in with the company culture than the usual; it's clearly very important for Netflix.

Instructional Designer Interview

Started with recruiter. Basic questions, nothing fancy. Trying to gauge my interest in the job and in Netflix. Next step phone interview with manager. Similar questions but more detail about position. Both people were easy to talk to and not stuffy at all. Next step is face to face.

Language Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in August 2014.

I was first asked by a recruiter through LinkedIn whether I would be interested in the position. I sent them some further information via email. I was then interviewed (video chat) for about 20 minutes.

Digital Account Specialist - Europe Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix in August 2014.

The phone interview was very casual. I had spoken to several Netflix recruiters in the past, but this was the first time I talked to someone who actually worked in the department I was interviewing for. The call lasted about 10-15 mins and consisted mostly of a description of the job, the department workflow and what kind of traits they were looking for in the candidate. I was expecting a much more thorough or intense interview given Netflix's reputation of "excellence" and high-performing workers, but the person I spoke to make the company sound rather boring and actually described the job as a "regular job" with "regular benefits" - an invitation for mediocre employees if there ever was one.

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult situation you were in and how you resolved it? What would you bring to Netflix that makes you better than other candidates?   View Answer

ELearning Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in August 2014.

A recruiter pursued me via LinkedIn, after my resume was submitted, recruiter asked if she could have a quick 30 minute call to discuss the position with me. I agreed to the call which consisted of a barrage of questions and zero mention of the role itself. Questions include tell me about you, summarize your work experience, tell me about projects you worked on from start to finish.

Director of Talent Acquisition Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

I was initially contacted via Linked In about this position. The person who initially contacted me left the organization and I didn't hear back from my initial response for several weeks. An initial call was scheduled and conducted by someone not even in the same group. The recruiter was unable to answer my questions about the position. The interview process was outlined to me which included hearing back from the recruiter within a few days. It has been more than two weeks and I haven't heard anything - not even a 'no thank you' email/notification.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Be ready to provide specifics surrounding your skills and experience. Think about creative solution oriented responses. Very focused on your ability to engage customers. Exude confidence. Be prepared to role play. And don't be late. Very friendly atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • The role playing scenarios required you to think on your feet.   Answer Question
    None necessary, they pay well.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!