Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.9

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter. There were many schedule changes. Since I am local, they did technical interview on site. It was not official 'on-site' interview. It was not a good fit
    It was weird that one other manager was in the same room shadowing during my interview

Interview Questions

• 1) Very easy - Find a duplicate number in an array
      2) More technical about their testing scenario - specific knowledge required of the product related

Answer Question

not right fit

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through the official site and a few days after, a recruiter sent me a email scheduling a day for the interview via Skype, because I'm live in Brazil. On the day was agreed, a few minutes before the interview, he sent me email saying that he had got other compromise and we could not do the interview and re-scheduling it. The next scheduled day he called me via Skype on time.

Interview Questions

• He asked, if I use netflix. To talk about my work experience. What is my experience with customers. If in my opinion how I can be useful for the job opportunity.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

After a few successful short phone interviews, I was summoned to a concentrated interview day with quite a few people that were related to the role to which I was interviewing.
    Overall, the interview process was OK, logistics were taken care of properly, etc.
    Most of the people which interviewed me were very nice, professional and asked relevant questions.
    A couple of issues which I have noticed:
    - It doesn't seem like the interviewers were sync'd with each other; there were a lot of overlapping questions and it was obvious that the latter interviewers were not filled in on the former interviews.
    - Some of the interviewers were a bit condescending (e.g. statements like "this job is not easy, right? it may seem like it is, but it isn't" after doing a short exercise to test my skills, but after no expression what-so-ever on my end that "this job is easy" or anything like that), which made me question whether I even want to join this organization, having my potential colleagues with such an attitude.
    - Netflix has a very unique culture deck, and a lot of my interviewers seemed a bit obsessed with it, which was another red flag for me.

Interview Questions

• what is the worst feedback that you have ever received?   Answer Question
    • how would you handle a strong disagreement with your manager/peer/direct report?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Was contacted about the job opening and after several calls with the hiring manager and recruiter, they brought me in for an in-person interview. The interview was a panel portfolio session followed by a product brainstorm session. Brainstorm went well, but got grilled during the presentation portion. Good luck, it was brutal.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Submitted resume online, had a phone interview, invited in for interview next week. Interview with two managers there. I was rejected which is fine I decided it wasn't for me (at least not the people I met with). They ended up hiring a new college grad. When they say they are looking for 2 years experience they mean it and not a day over that.

I'm age 40ish, had left the workforce to raise children and ready to make use of my talents and return to work force. The position I interviewed for was for a role I had done earlier in my career. Part-time which is what I was looking for with young children. I have plenty of child care support and am available to step up and work full time hours when needed and on short notice. I made it clear child care and the fact that the job was a lower level of what I had last done was a non-issue. The job sounded challenging, fast paced, interesting and I was excited about the possibility of being part of a dynamic co. like Netflix. Exactly what I was looking for.

I don't think they knew how old I was until they met me. I am fit and take good care of myself, dressed professionally (maybe too professional for this environment). I interviewed with two managers there. One of which kept telling me that I wouldn't be happy there and that I was over qualified. One of the first things she said to me. I was put off by this but continued to present my talents, previous accomplishments (I was VERY successful, driven, results oriented, known for providing excellent service to my client groups, have stayed in touch with my previous employers & mentors). I tried to convince them that I would be VERY happy in that position. IMHO, the interview process should be an opportunity to get to know both the candidate and employer. Discuss current projects, goals and whether or not the candidates skills, personality, etc. is a fit. Both were arrogant and had this air of " We don't hire just anybody at Netflix and are you worthy (hip enough, etc.) of our exclusive club" cocky attitude.

From what I hear of others working there there is no work life balance. The workload is insane and no one takes that many days off despite the co. offering to take as many days off as you like. You can't because there is too much work and employees are afraid of being fired. They fire they bottom 10% which instills a culture of fear instead of collaborative environment essential for high performing teams.

Probably great place to get your feet wet if you are fresh out of college. Others I would think twice, talk to people that have worked there for the real story.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

HR pro reached out to me via LinkedIN with a great position. We talked via phone, then scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager. The following week I was invited in to meet the hiring manager and 3 other managers. The structure of the interviews were not formal, but very focused. My would-be manager did some role playing with me and asked me to critique some Netflix marketing material. They were all extremely personable and professional. I met with the HR person, and she asked me some behavioral/situational questions as well as some details around timing. Her demeanor was fun, professional and upbeat. I was then called back for a panel where I was asked to informally present ideas for improvement on my choice of two different online services to 3 Director level members of the team - I like that they asked me to critique and improve upon an outside company and not Netflix. It is always difficult to critique the company you are hoping to be hired at. The team was fun, energetic and once more - I didn't feel like I was being tested. I really felt like they were making an effort to engage, and connect. Really quite remarkable, and probably the best interview experience I have ever had!
    A few days later I got a courteous email thanking me for coming in again and letting me know that I was not an exact fit for the role, after all. I was disappointed. I responded with a thank you - and asked for candid feedback, which arrived a few days later. I was impressed. You don't always get feedback, but this Netflix HR manager does a stellar job from start to finish. I'm hoping to interview and get the offer next time.

Senior QA Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

My first phone screen went very well. I was more than qualified for the position so that wasn't a surprise to me. Then I had a technical phone screen. I was very disappointed with the interviewer. Initially the interviewer was late with the phone call. After apologizing to me I was asked about my experience and background. The interviewer misread my resume asking me about places that I worked in the past that the interviewer thought I was currently working at. After talking a bit more, I was told that I needed a laptop or PC to continue with the process and do some practice testing. This would have been good information to have before hand. Definitely not something to spring on a candidate during the actual interview. Unlike my first couple of phone screens in which the interviewer's questions were clear and concise, this interviewer's questions were not very defined or well organized. To top everything off, the interviewer had a heavy accent that was very difficult to understand via telephone, especially at times when the interviewer was mumbling in a low voice (or seemed distracted). Given everything, the interviewer was clearly not prepared for the interview and probably not 100% qualified to give a proper one given how disorganized and unprepared the interviewer was.

It's a very unfortunate situation because good candidates are the ones that get disqualified for positions like these because the interviewer isn't prepared or qualified to screen candidates. If a candidate sets aside the time for an interview and present a good resume, please give them the courtesy of reading it and investing more of an effort when you are in a hiring role.

Needless to say, I was turned down for the job after the poor technical screening.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about "current" responsibilities at a company I hadn't worked at since the previous year.

How would you go about testing a web site?

Why would you want to work as a QA Engineer where you are merely contributing, when you previously worked in a QA Leadership role?

Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

It was a different kind of interview which was good the only problem was if you didn't know someone already working there you were out of luck. You can totally tell they go by referrals not by skills. About 4 people who did great still didn't get a offer because we didn't know people working there. Also one girl who knew someone pulled out a bag of m&m s and started eating so loud still got a offer!!

Interview Questions

• It was in the form of two role plays   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Fairly Easy for someone who is not shy or nervous around people. Role Playing is a huge part. Also only apply if you have empathy and oooh do not be callcenter-y! although you are applying to work at a call center. Although I have never worked at a call center.. I was way too professional for them. So I suggest being laid back and just talk about favorite actors, movies, etc, and dress like your homeless. Which was surprising to me, but hey that's their environment...and i'm just a little jelly because if i would of gotten the job I would had loved to come in to work wearing jeans and flip flops...

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix (Los Altos, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First phone screen was with hiring manager, which went well. Second call was with recruiter, the "Netflix Culture Deck" came up in conversation several times. Third was a technical phone screen focusing on SQL skills. Good knowledge of analytic functions, such as LAG() and ROW_NUMBER() covers most everything. Toughest question was to build a basic collaborative filter, which is possible by joining a table on itself a couple of times with specialized ON and WHERE clauses. Onsite interviews were split between technical and developing metrics around product usage and quality. Technical was more with analytic functions, and one question that required a recursive select statement (possible in Terradata, but I didn't know it). Basic Python whiteboarding with list comprehension and such was also in the mix. I got good feedback, but they went with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Get 3rd review from all customers (use ROW_NUMBER())   Answer Question
    • Get page customer saw before log-in page. Don't use analytic functions.   Answer Question