Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.9

Product Innovation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very long and drawn out. I started communicating with HR in February and my final interview was in June. I went through 3 phone interviews, 3 skype interviews, two rounds of "homework", an in person interview and then I was flown up to Los Gatos where I spent another 6+ hours in interviews. While I enjoyed most of people I met, I did not click with one person so I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• They actually asked me to sign into my personal Netflix account to see my viewing history, which was a put off-putting and felt invasive.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

For the first step, I got pinged by a recruiter. When I told them I wasn't quite sure about their culture, the engineering manager wanted to directly talk to me, so I figured they had some interest. I setup the phone screen, and passed. I went to the next onsite interview which had 3 technical rounds which seemed to go ok. (One made mistakes in his responses to my comments, but I didn't say anything.) Second onsite involved the HR, which was focused about how well I understood their culture deck, etc. Right after that, I met with the VP, who more or less took a complete 180 of their culture deck. He didn't believe in paying people what their worth (the whole baseball analogy that their culture deck pointed out). Mentioning that I was still interviewing elsewhere in case this didn't work out seemed to be a mistake, something HR and the VP brought up multiple times, although this contradicted their culture deck. He also mentioned tons of bureaucratic rules and regulations that were again, something the culture deck was trying to say made them different from companies like IBM, Apple, etc., but he more or less up front said they're the same. I figured since I love working on projects on the side that do not compete with the business, and constantly look for outside the box solutions that working on side projects bring, it would be a good fit culturally, but I guess I was wrong.

Interview Questions

• What would one of your colleagues say is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Got a call a couple weeks after applying online for a quick prescreen interview. The person that called was nice and we had a good 15 minutes conversation. I thought the conversation went well and the HR recruiter said they would contact me in the near future for a 1:1 interview. Waited for a month and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which a product you were managing wasn't doing well and how did you overcome?   Answer Question

Interview

One of the worst interviews I have ever been too. Netflix managers seems like they are like low level thugs. I would never work for such managers who comes from 3rd tier bay area companies and act like thugs. I think there are better ways to do interview. I predict a pretty gloomy future for Netflix software engineering if all the managers are same I have experienced. Not worth interviewing and wasting your time period.

Interview Questions

• Nothing special. Just review easy to medium leet-code and review some basic design questions like load balancing etc.   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process with Netflix was very smooth. I applied through the company's webpage and received an e-mail from the recruiter within 2 weeks. The discussion with the recruiter started off with an initial phone screening where the recruiter went over my background experiences to determine the applicability of my skills and experiences to the position. Following this, I was sent forward to the hiring manager within the finance division. This interview was very thorough as we went through each line of my resume. The interview also included market-sizing and case study questions that were based on Netflix's international expansion strategy. After completing the interview, Netflix wanted to fly me in for a half-day interview in their Los Gatos, CA office. The in-person interview was split between two stages. If you did well in stage 1, then they moved you on to stage 2. Everything was very well orchestrated and the staff was very delightful to work with. Tips for those looking to interview with Netflix: -Take the time to really understand Netflix's unique culture and how it pertains to you. This requires that you read and internalize Netflix's culture deck. Only certain personality types will do well or enjoy their time at Netflix. -Understand Netflix's international expansion strategy and the challenges the company faces. Also, explain how you can help the company overcome those challenges. This shows that you are in-tune with the company's objectives.

Interview Questions

• If Netflix is looking to expand its presence in Asia, what are some factors that you can use to evaluate the size of the Asia market, and what can Netflix do to capture this market?   Answer Question

Senior Information Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Reading the other interviews that did not get an offer on here it seems NetFlix is either very particular, or not as transparent as they claim in their culture deck. I did not get an offer and was also told that my background and skills do not match the position. A bit frustrating considering they reached out to me based on my background and experience. There were multiple phone interviews, and they flew me out as well for an all day interview with multiple people from different departments. The questions ranged from technical, to self awareness, to personality, it was all over the place. All of them kept drilling "Freedom of Responsibility"and how everyone is very candid on giving/receiving feedback. The people themselves were very nice, but when I asked for feedback, they were not so transparent as they were preaching.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to lead a project, the project fail, and how did you overcome?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2015.

Interview

I filled out a short application online. I received an email about two weeks later asking me to do some tests including, grammar, typing and technical test. You also had to do this weird thing were you had to either take a video of yourself answering some questions or have a automated voice call. Warning: if you do the automated voice, you have hardly any instructions on how to proceed and I did horribly. Somehow, I passed that part of the hiring process and was emailed for a phone interview. This was pretty standard and just be yourself. It was about 10-15 minutes and I was asked to come in for an interview. Make sure you ask what you need to bring. In my case, they told me to come dressed casual and to be 10 minutes early and to BRING TWO FORMS OF ID. I showed up and met with some other interviewees, most of which were great and full of energy. This interview lasted about two hours and here is how it went down. -The recruiter and two Netflixcs employees were in the interview. The first thing asked was what is our favorite show or movie and how to we enjoy it. -There was a small slideshow deal and then we were asked to roleplay. Basically, the recruiter made up a scenario for each individual and the individual had to act like the owner of a business while the recruiter was the customer. -After the first roleplay, we had to do a second round of roleplay questions. In this roleplay, the two Netflixcs employees would give each individual feedback and you were to implement it into the second roleplay scenario. Now, this is something I found a bit strange. Almost everyone had negative feedback but me and another person. They said I did a great job and really didn't offer much else. This roleplay was a netflix specific scenario and you had to go up on a laptop in front of everyone and "take a call". I nailed it, or so I thought. I didn't sound scripted, I sounded confident and knowledable. It was all around, a good customer experience. -After this last roleplay, we were told that they were going to step out and talk, then pull each of us out for a chat. I was one of the first few called out and I knew this was probably not a good sign. The recruiter didn't even take me in another room, she literally walked me out the door and said "we are just pulling people out and letting them know we will have a decision in a few days." Now, I understand that I may not fit the role that Netflixcs is wanting for employees. What I don't understand and what I find as an insult to my intelligence is everything that happened in the last minute after I left the room full of people. You ask us to bring two forms of ID but somehow you are now needing a few days to discuss it? Don't be a coward and just be honest with people. We are all adults and should be treated with a basic level of respect. This really told me a lot about how working at Netflixcs might be, and I don't believe I would have been a good fit with the lack of professionalism on their part that has taken place as soon as leaving the group interview. I still haven't gotten the courtesy email or phone call the recruiter said I would get when walking out the door. Good luck to anyone interview there and don't expect to get the job, even if you have always provided a positive customer experience with great energy.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite movie or show and how do you enjoy watching it.   1 Answer

TSR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2015.

Interview

Getting together with a group of people and solving tech questions in teams and giving our personal opinions on what a good job is like. Then, if they dont like you they tell you that you'll get called back after pulling you out of the room. The last person left in the room got the job.

Interview Questions

• Whats one thing I would change to make a company more successful   1 Answer

Client Technology Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Beverly Hills, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A friend/current employee submitted my resume. I was contacted by their recruiter and scheduled a phone interview with her. She recommended reviewing their strategy and culture presentation slides. Phone interview with the recruiter went well and I scheduled a video conference interview with the hiring manager. The video conference lasted about 30 minutes and we went over my experience and skills. The manager confirmed he'd like to have me come in for an in-person interview. I spent 2.5 hours meeting with the team in pairs both in person and over video conference. I met with the recruiter and hiring manager once more and that concluded the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Let's say three people come to you with a problem, a Director comes to you unable to login to their computer, a manager has a problem with his computer, and an assistant having a problem with email.   Answer Question
    • Go thru your thought process if you were the IT director for a startup and they were setting up a new office.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix (Portland, OR).

Interview

Started with a phone interview, and then a group interview. It turned into survivor, with people being cut after every round. The process included a computer skills test, mock phone calls, and a one on one with a supervisor.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of personality questions and hypothetical situations.   1 Answer