Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.9

Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix.

Was contacted about the job opening and after several calls with the hiring manager and recruiter, they brought me in for an in-person interview. The interview was a panel portfolio session followed by a product brainstorm session. Brainstorm went well, but got grilled during the presentation portion. Good luck, it was brutal.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in March 2015.

HR pro reached out to me via LinkedIN with a great position. We talked via phone, then scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager. The following week I was invited in to meet the hiring manager and 3 other managers. The structure of the interviews were not formal, but very focused. My would-be manager did some role playing with me and asked me to critique some Netflix marketing material. They were all extremely personable and professional. I met with the HR person, and she asked me some behavioral/situational questions as well as some details around timing. Her demeanor was fun, professional and upbeat. I was then called back for a panel where I was asked to informally present ideas for improvement on my choice of two different online services to 3 Director level members of the team - I like that they asked me to critique and improve upon an outside company and not Netflix. It is always difficult to critique the company you are hoping to be hired at. The team was fun, energetic and once more - I didn't feel like I was being tested. I really felt like they were making an effort to engage, and connect. Really quite remarkable, and probably the best interview experience I have ever had!
    A few days later I got a courteous email thanking me for coming in again and letting me know that I was not an exact fit for the role, after all. I was disappointed. I responded with a thank you - and asked for candid feedback, which arrived a few days later. I was impressed. You don't always get feedback, but this Netflix HR manager does a stellar job from start to finish. I'm hoping to interview and get the offer next time.

Human Resources/Talent Support Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Netflix.

Submitted resume online, had a phone interview, invited in for interview next week. Interview with two managers there. I was rejected which is fine I decided it wasn't for me (at least not the people I met with). They ended up hiring a new college grad. When they say they are looking for 2 years experience they mean it and not a day over that.

I'm age 40ish, had left the workforce to raise children and ready to make use of my talents and return to work force. The position I interviewed for was for a role I had done earlier in my career. Part-time which is what I was looking for with young children. I have plenty of child care support and am available to step up and work full time hours when needed and on short notice. I made it clear child care and the fact that the job was a lower level of what I had last done was a non-issue. The job sounded challenging, fast paced, interesting and I was excited about the possibility of being part of a dynamic co. like Netflix. Exactly what I was looking for.

I don't think they knew how old I was until they met me. I am fit and take good care of myself, dressed professionally (maybe too professional for this environment). I interviewed with two managers there. One of which kept telling me that I wouldn't be happy there and that I was over qualified. One of the first things she said to me. I was put off by this but continued to present my talents, previous accomplishments (I was VERY successful, driven, results oriented, known for providing excellent service to my client groups, have stayed in touch with my previous employers & mentors). I tried to convince them that I would be VERY happy in that position. IMHO, the interview process should be an opportunity to get to know both the candidate and employer. Discuss current projects, goals and whether or not the candidates skills, personality, etc. is a fit. Both were arrogant and had this air of " We don't hire just anybody at Netflix and are you worthy (hip enough, etc.) of our exclusive club" cocky attitude.

From what I hear of others working there there is no work life balance. The workload is insane and no one takes that many days off despite the co. offering to take as many days off as you like. You can't because there is too much work and employees are afraid of being fired. They fire they bottom 10% which instills a culture of fear instead of collaborative environment essential for high performing teams.

Probably great place to get your feet wet if you are fresh out of college. Others I would think twice, talk to people that have worked there for the real story.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix.

It was a different kind of interview which was good the only problem was if you didn't know someone already working there you were out of luck. You can totally tell they go by referrals not by skills. About 4 people who did great still didn't get a offer because we didn't know people working there. Also one girl who knew someone pulled out a bag of m&m s and started eating so loud still got a offer!!

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

Fairly Easy for someone who is not shy or nervous around people. Role Playing is a huge part. Also only apply if you have empathy and oooh do not be callcenter-y! although you are applying to work at a call center. Although I have never worked at a call center.. I was way too professional for them. So I suggest being laid back and just talk about favorite actors, movies, etc, and dress like your homeless. Which was surprising to me, but hey that's their environment...and i'm just a little jelly because if i would of gotten the job I would had loved to come in to work wearing jeans and flip flops...

Senior QA Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in March 2015.

My first phone screen went very well. I was more than qualified for the position so that wasn't a surprise to me. Then I had a technical phone screen. I was very disappointed with the interviewer. Initially the interviewer was late with the phone call. After apologizing to me I was asked about my experience and background. The interviewer misread my resume asking me about places that I worked in the past that the interviewer thought I was currently working at. After talking a bit more, I was told that I needed a laptop or PC to continue with the process and do some practice testing. This would have been good information to have before hand. Definitely not something to spring on a candidate during the actual interview. Unlike my first couple of phone screens in which the interviewer's questions were clear and concise, this interviewer's questions were not very defined or well organized. To top everything off, the interviewer had a heavy accent that was very difficult to understand via telephone, especially at times when the interviewer was mumbling in a low voice (or seemed distracted). Given everything, the interviewer was clearly not prepared for the interview and probably not 100% qualified to give a proper one given how disorganized and unprepared the interviewer was.

It's a very unfortunate situation because good candidates are the ones that get disqualified for positions like these because the interviewer isn't prepared or qualified to screen candidates. If a candidate sets aside the time for an interview and present a good resume, please give them the courtesy of reading it and investing more of an effort when you are in a hiring role.

Needless to say, I was turned down for the job after the poor technical screening.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about "current" responsibilities at a company I hadn't worked at since the previous year.

How would you go about testing a web site?

Why would you want to work as a QA Engineer where you are merely contributing, when you previously worked in a QA Leadership role?

Answer Question

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Netflix.

Met with seven people total. I was astounded at how arrogant each person was. I think they were more focused on eliminating candidates rather than attracting them. Each person's commentary implied that I couldn't do the job because what they're doing is "so amazing." It's a call center, it's been done before.

Interview Questions
    • What we're doing here is really unique and we need someone that can really understand that. You know?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

I think they are not serious about hiring and just browsing the job market to see how much other people are getting. Had the usual phone screen which was pretty easy , mostly questions related to HashMap and how its implemented in Java , why equals and hascode function are required etc. Then there was simple coding question.
    After that there were onsite interviews. First interviewer asked question about how to figure rectangles objects are equal and then HashMaps and how to implement hashcode function . He was pretty adamant about hearing catch phrase "strategy design pattern" even after providing the solution which was what strategy design pattern would have done.
    Second interview as 2 coding questions related to median of array and print level order , it was pretty easy.
    Third interview was a design interview.
    Forth was more behavioral with director.
    Fifth with HR, she tried to much to sell Netflix and asked questions about how much I am making, I told her I dont feel comfortable telling the exact figures but told her what my expectation is. She didnt let it go and said because they have to be on top of the market my exact figures are quite important, which i didnt get.

Got rejection email after a day which was a surprise as my interviews went well. I asked for feed back but they never returned to me, I guess they got what the needed. Anyways wouldn,t have left my current job for Netflix because I kind of got the feeling about their culture which I am afraid close whats there on the Glassdoor.

Interview Questions
    • Median of stream of integers, solved using two heaps min and max.
      Print tree level wise

View Answer
    • There are 10000 servers and need to send a file of size 1 MB to each server, starting from laptop and there is only 1 MB bandwidth between each server. Shortest time in this is possible . Solved using tree and can be done in logarithmic time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in February 2015.

The first group interview consisted of a brief introduction of Netflix and a 10 question test using Netflix Help Desk to answer those questions. The second interview was group-based with role-play situations. I did well but was told I was too professional and was not offered the job accordingly, which is fine. I take a lot pride in my work and my appearance and I wasn't offended when I didn't receive the offer of employment. Why? Well, for starters, they seem to only hire people who don't really care about their hygiene or appearance. The very first person I saw when I walked in, was a girl who greeted us that looked liked she hadn't slept in a couple days nor cared to. She had flips flops on and I could see and smell her filthy feet the whole time she talked to us, which wasn't pleasant by any means. Then, the guy she handed us off to, who facilitated the group interview, was nice but he was chewing food during the whole interview (90 minutes) and most of it made it into his beard, not his mouth. While on the floor, I saw a few people I recognized but not in a good way. I saw one guy that got fired from my last job for snorting meth in the bathroom. That said, Netflix is NOT my ideal place to work but if you don't care what you look like, how you smell, or even if you're comfortable working with drug dealers and users, than this is probably the BEST job for you. On a slightly positive note, it was definitely the weirdest, most unorthodox interview I have ever participated in and I will never forget it. My tip: If you REALLY want the job, don't go to sleep two days prior to your interview, don't shower, on your way to the interview maybe grab a $20 crack rock from your local drug dealer and rock out and you'll most likely get an offer of employment that day. If you're not one of those people, I would just not apply because that is EXACTLY what it will be like working there.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked pertained to situations that require you to use Netflix Help Desk.   View Answer

Digital Account Specialist Interview

Great initial phone with recruiter. Terrible second interview. Manager did not have questions prepared. Insisted that company never hires from within so should look for job growth elsewhere. Was not sure what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • first question - do you have questions for me?   Answer Question
    • if this was the only job you would ever have at Netflix would you be happy?   Answer Question