Netflix

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in December 2014.

I was contacted by a Netflix recruiter on LinkedIn, and agreed to go ahead with an interview.

First up, I talked to the recruiter, who told me about Netflix and the particular team, and asked me some basic non-tech questions about my past experience and salaries expectation. The usual recruiter staff.

Then she schedule a 1.5 hrs phone call with the hiring manager for that team. I was told it was going to be a technical interview with coding exercise and all.

First the hiring manager calls me before the call and tells me he was not going to make it on time and will call 30 mins later than actual time. Ok nice to get a courtesy call, appreciated.

The actual interview was complete waste of time. He started by blabbing about his team and what they work on and which in reality was nothing exciting, a team of glorified Research Assistants. They own recommendation systems and basically needed a lot of working with machine learning guys and facilitating their A\B testing, and launching that one model that actually works.

They he asked me to tell my own experience, so I described in detail different companies I've worked for and the projects I have worked. Mid-way he cuts me asks how was the transition from one role to another role, which I answered. Then he asked me what my team-mates would describe me. I answered someone with bias for action who get things done.

Then he asked me if I had any question, and I asked a bunch of questions.

He didn't asked me a single technical question. The closet thing to a technical question was "How would to rate your coding skills from 1-5", to which I said 4-4.5. Isn't that the whole point of this interview. Give me question to code and rate yourself.

And then he goes on to give me the most stupid reason for not going ahead. "You don't have the number of experience". As a seasoned interviewer myself I couldn't believe he said that. I expect that from a small company run by a bunch of non-tech guys, but this was ridiculous beyond any reasoning. I understand if he didn't like something he saw, but seriously.

I've worked for 3 years for one of the biggest tech company (13x Market cap compare to Netflix) and another year at a video gaming giant, and am currently working for the biggest online retailer. Hell, Netflix run on systems we develop.

And he still somehow had the guts to tell me to keep in touch, and that I'm smart and definitely have the rights skills set, and should apply in a few a years.

It was a complete waste of my time, and I don't know what he was trying to prove.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions asked.
      Tell me about your experience/
      How from the transition from role A to role B?
      How would your team describe you?
      How would you rate your coding?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix.

I was contacted by a Netflix HR rep via linkedin. I followed up, spoke to the HR person, and then had a phone interview with a technical manager. I passed that initial phone-screen, but declined the on-site interview when I realized that all Netflix employees work on-site in Los Gatos, CA, and I would have had to relocate.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview covered some simple algorithmic questions - what is the complexity of lookup/insert for a linked list? A hash table? We talked through the computation of Fibonacci numbers.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Netflix.

Phone interviews w/ hiring manager and an engineer on the team.

They flew me in for a packed day of interviews. Went reasonably well, but one interviewer probed pretty deeply into operations issues / monitoring tools I didn't have direct experience with.

Hiring manager said they were conflicted but my lack of ops experience was a deal breaker.

Interview Questions
    • What, precisely, does the load average in `top` signify, and what does it look like if all threads in a pool are blocked?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in November 2014.

Group interview, about 6-8 people in a room they show you a presentation and then ask you one question. Then had to answer two mock customer service questions over the phone. First question is a made up scenario but a typical customer service question. The second question was a specific Netflix technical question that you had to answer using there system. Didn't require a resume or ask to see it. All they have you do is fill out an application.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite movie & tv show.   View Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week.

The conversation went pretty well except for the tone of the recruiter. She seemed to really not enjoying being on the phone with me. I made it through to the next round and had a telephone interview with the person who I would report to. She called me approximately 10 minutes late and then let me know that she only had 20 mins to talk because she had a meeting. The overall tone of the interview was rushed. I could tell from the minute that we were on the phone that this was not going to be a good interview. I swear I could hear a ticking bomb in the background that just wanted to go off. After we chatted, she said that she had not talked to the recruiter but would discuss with her.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Take me through your typical day at work?
      2. What would be the most challenging aspect of this job?
      3. Do you work better independently or in a team?
      4. Why are you interested in this position?
      5. Why do you want to work here?
      6. How do you feel about Netflix culture?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin. They ask some basic engineering questions to weed out any mismatches. Then you have a technical phone screen with hiring manager. If that goes well, then there is an onsite where you meet the Hiring Manager, HR and other senior engineers on the team. If that goes well, you get called on for meeting at exec level to filter for a culture fit.

Interview Questions
    • Very detail oriented. Be prepared to come up with design/product improvement based questions. Nothing difficult really, but the answer can get tricky as they deep dive further into the design/ architecture discussions.   Answer Question
    They pay top of the Market. I did not feel the need to negotiate. Very happy with the offer. Also, they are very persuasive. They make you feel needed.

Creative Project Manager Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in October 2014.

Applied on their site, the recruiter scheduled an interview within a few days and we talked then. That part was positive, then I interviewed with the hiring manager. She seemed very disinterested from the start, I suspect they may just be going through the motions to train their HR people on interviewing people. I felt it was a huge waste of my time, the questions she asked were obviously from a list and most of them didn't pertain to the role or even my extensive qualifications.

Creative Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Netflix in October 2014.

I applied through the website and was contacted a few weeks later by a recruiter. They suggested I read through the corporate principal slideshow they provided. I was very excited about the promise of the company and my qualifications were spot on. I thought their outlook was refreshing regarding their hiring practices. They claim to only hire people at the top of their game. However, this proved to wrong in my opinion. The recruiter was on speaker phone and mumbled the entire time, rushing through the questions. When I politely asked her if she could turn off the speaker phone, she became terse and annoyed. I could tell the recruiter was very distracted. Afterward, I felt confident that their corporate mission theory did not match their actual practice as I have never had such an unprofessional phone screen in my life. Clearly, I was disappointed I did not move on but perhaps it was for the best as this seemed like a large red flag.

Interview Questions
    • Unfortunately, the questions were pedestrian and the recruiter was uninformed about the position.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Initial communication with the recruiter. Second phone interview with the manager and then third interview in-person with three (3) people from the company. Mostly questions asked are how you manage your time, requests, what can you contribute and your strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions
    • When asked how to manage requests, prioritization of these requests and how long will it take to fulfill a request.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Easy job to get, just apply online, no walk-ins, and no calls. Once you apply online they will call you, so answer all calls the number had a 204 area code. The first interview consisted of a typing test and grammar test. If you pass those tests then you will be given a short computer literacy test, followed by a short interview (nothing to worry about just common sense). If you qualify to this point you will be given a second interview. At the second interview get there about 15-20 minute early, they will have you take another short test about www.help.netflix.com. You will look up answers to questions using help.netflix.com. There was one question about an audio problem while watching netflix on a kindle fire, the answer is to reboot the device, but you will not find a specific answer on the help site. After that comes the role playing part of the interview. Two team leaders give an imaginary scenario, where they pretend they are calling customer service (you), with a problem. Remember they are not looking for you to solve any problems, they want to see you build relationship with this fake customer. First thing to remember is to relax there is no wrong answers, second ask for the callers name and proceed to engage the customer in way that entertains and befriend the customer. Remember your goal is solely to befriend the customer, the customer's problem will not be fixable show try to make comments on the callers name, situation, but keep it funny and entertaining.

Interview Questions
    • The role playing please be as fake as possible, to build a short friendship.   Answer Question