Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.9

Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process with Netflix was very smooth. I applied through the company's webpage and received an e-mail from the recruiter within 2 weeks. The discussion with the recruiter started off with an initial phone screening where the recruiter went over my background experiences to determine the applicability of my skills and experiences to the position.

Following this, I was sent forward to the hiring manager within the finance division. This interview was very thorough as we went through each line of my resume. The interview also included market-sizing and case study questions that were based on Netflix's international expansion strategy.

After completing the interview, Netflix wanted to fly me in for a half-day interview in their Los Gatos, CA office. The in-person interview was split between two stages. If you did well in stage 1, then they moved you on to stage 2. Everything was very well orchestrated and the staff was very delightful to work with.

Tips for those looking to interview with Netflix:
    -Take the time to really understand Netflix's unique culture and how it pertains to you. This requires that you read and internalize Netflix's culture deck. Only certain personality types will do well or enjoy their time at Netflix.
    -Understand Netflix's international expansion strategy and the challenges the company faces. Also, explain how you can help the company overcome those challenges. This shows that you are in-tune with the company's objectives.

Interview Questions

• If Netflix is looking to expand its presence in Asia, what are some factors that you can use to evaluate the size of the Asia market, and what can Netflix do to capture this market?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix (Portland, OR).

Interview

Started with a phone interview, and then a group interview. It turned into survivor, with people being cut after every round. The process included a computer skills test, mock phone calls, and a one on one with a supervisor.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of personality questions and hypothetical situations.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

The manager sent email and then had quick chat. Then recruiter followed up requesting reading their 100+ page culture document. Then technical phone screen seems to be easy and feedback is good. I thought I will go onsite. The following day, recruiter sent email stating skill miss match. It is kind of wasting time to ask for phone screen if they knew the mismatch in the first place.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in May 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by the recruiter. Setup a time to talk, went through the ~ 100 something slideshow.
    The recruiter said she was impressed with my skills, set up time to talk with the Hiring Manager. I spoke to the Hiring Manager who was nice to talk to, went over my background and skills in depth.

He was particularly interested in knowing about my AWS experience and how I designed a scalable Metrics collection service . Overall was a positive conversation purely on background and experience.

Next up, the Hiring Manager suggested a technical programming phone screen. And I setup some time for it. The phone-screen was awkward from the start. I google'd the interviewer's name before the interview and found out that he's the kind who runs blogs on interviewing questions and puzzles. While I particularly detest narrowing down Software Engineering to a bunch of puzzle type questions, I am well aware of what such kinds of interviewers are after.

I prepped hard and going through Cracking the Coding Interview and other resources. When I saw the interview problem, I just had the gut feel that I could crack this, I went through the edge-cases and design ideas meticulously and wrote the code given below.

3 days later, I get an email from the recruiter saying that "my background and skills do not match". I tried to follow up but did not get concrete feedback. This was very weird and I felt frustrated, since I had already spoken to the Hiring Manager - and he'd okay-ed a phone screen - either the recruiter was lying or I was being used as interview target practice for someone on the team.

For the record, I never head back from them on what skills they thought I was 'mismatched'. Overall I think it was a finicky process and a company.

Interview Questions

• Letter Combinations of a Phone Number   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

First applied online. 2 days later, got an email from the recruiter, she gave me links to do different tests (1. Typing test, need at least 35wpm. 2. Grammar test, just to make sure you know how to read and speak basically. 3. Netflix help center test. Basic questions about basic technical stuff) and also a link to do a video interview type thing. It asks basic netflix related questions and you film your response. Unlimited time from when you read the question to when you respond, but your response has to be under 30s. Just relax and be calm and laidback. Netflix's major thing is that they aren't hiring for an actual call center, so dont give off a call center vibe.
    After that, a couple days later, the recruiter emailed me back and asked for a time id be available for a phone interview. She called me the next day and asked me normal interview questions (name a time you went above and beyond for a customer, a time you recieved feedback and implemented it, etc). Then we scheduled an in person interview.
    For the in person interview, I dressed very casually, like leggings and a tshirt. I got to the interview about 20 minutes early and waited for the other applicants to arrive (its a group interview). 3 other people arrived, and we all talked about our favorite movies and shows until the recruiter called us all back. The recruiter and 2 other netflix people introduce themselves and then asked us to introduce ourselves and say our favorite movie/tvshow. Then they do scenarios. The first is a non-netflix related question, the second is a netflix related question, where you use their online help center to answer. I suggest familiarizing yourself with the help center before you interview, its the same one that customers use.
    Throughout the interview, i stayed happy and excited. I complimented everyone else's roleplays when they asked what we thought of the scenarios. Engaged with the interviewers along with the other interviewees. The biggest thing netflix cs wants is a human experience, where you're a real human talking to other real humans. No robotic responses.
    At the end, they'll begin walking people out of the building one by one. The first people taken out are those who don't recieve a position. However, in my experience, i was one of the first people walked out, but i was walked into another room to be offered the position. Two others in my interview group were also hired, and we filled out our paperwork on the spot, so bring your drivers license and social security card or other 2 forms of identification in case you do get hired.
    Overall, stay positive, laid back, understanding, casual, make sure not to be too professional, and be a real human, not fake.

Interview Questions

• Whats your favorite tvshow and movie and how do you like to watch them?   1 Answer
    • Name 5 devices you can watch Netflix on. (This was on the initial application)   1 Answer
    • What was a customer service experience that you recieved that you enjoyed as the customer?   1 Answer
    • What was a good customer service experience where you were the one providing customer service?   1 Answer
    • What do these experiences have in common? What makes them stand out?   1 Answer

Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by in-house Netflix recruiter. The process was very streamlined and everybody from start to finish were friendly.
    There were phone screens with Recruiting, HR, then the hiring manager, lunch with hiring manager, then a full day of interview with 6 people of all kinds of titles.

Everybody was highly competent, clearly knowledgeable in their area of expertise and from the moment you walk in the door and get handed your little care package with water, snacks and your schedule neatly printed, you are made to feel like you are important, you matter.

Sadly, the first interviewer who is considered a strong leader by his boss, showed up with very poor personal hygiene, which really put me off. His entire appearance was disrespectful in the context of interviews. NOT what I would consider a stunning colleague. My distaste must have shown, because he said my personality was too strong for Netflix.
    Translation : If she was a man, I would say he is ambitious and a go-getter, somebody who really knows their stuff and is confident in their area of expertise.

In general do your homework, don't waste their time by showing up unprepared. Netflix likes to hire and demote. If you were a VP before, consider being a manager now. If you're a Senior Architect, consider coming to Netflix as a tester. Etc. The pay should more than make up for the lack of title.

It's a place where I can see myself fitting in very comfortably, because the business is extremely complex and fun and everybody is driven and highly competent. I suppose it's just a matter of finding a correct fit for a team. I think I might have outgrown dev and testing entirely. This interview process really helped to cement that for me, so I'm really grateful for that.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer drew out the relevant part of their architecture on the board and asked me to debug why a message would seem to get stuck in the network somewhere. This is a real problem they faced   1 Answer
    • Given an array of integers, find the smallest unique value   Answer Question
    • The usual HR kind of questions. Also straight forward how much do I make now?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter. There were many schedule changes. Since I am local, they did technical interview on site. It was not official 'on-site' interview. It was not a good fit
    It was weird that one other manager was in the same room shadowing during my interview

Interview Questions

• 1) Very easy - Find a duplicate number in an array
      2) More technical about their testing scenario - specific knowledge required of the product related

Answer Question

not right fit

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I think they are not serious about hiring and just browsing the job market to see how much other people are getting. Had the usual phone screen which was pretty easy , mostly questions related to HashMap and how its implemented in Java , why equals and hascode function are required etc. Then there was simple coding question.
    After that there were onsite interviews. First interviewer asked question about how to figure rectangles objects are equal and then HashMaps and how to implement hashcode function . He was pretty adamant about hearing catch phrase "strategy design pattern" even after providing the solution which was what strategy design pattern would have done.
    Second interview as 2 coding questions related to median of array and print level order , it was pretty easy.
    Third interview was a design interview.
    Forth was more behavioral with director.
    Fifth with HR, she tried to much to sell Netflix and asked questions about how much I am making, I told her I dont feel comfortable telling the exact figures but told her what my expectation is. She didnt let it go and said because they have to be on top of the market my exact figures are quite important, which i didnt get.

Got rejection email after a day which was a surprise as my interviews went well. I asked for feed back but they never returned to me, I guess they got what the needed. Anyways wouldn,t have left my current job for Netflix because I kind of got the feeling about their culture which I am afraid close whats there on the Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Median of stream of integers, solved using two heaps min and max.
      Print tree level wise

1 Answer
    • There are 10000 servers and need to send a file of size 1 MB to each server, starting from laptop and there is only 1 MB bandwidth between each server. Shortest time in this is possible . Solved using tree and can be done in logarithmic time.   Answer Question

Programmatic Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a quick and to the point interview process, which I appreciate. Each member I spoke with dove deep into the qualifications of the role and how my experience or knowledge level know would be applicable. They tend to provide hard to read expressions. It was a mentally exhausting interview, but I appreciated that they committed to understanding whether or not I was a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how you would develop a programmatic buying strategy for Mind of a Chef
      How do you view the future of social?

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week.
    Expect that 70% of questions will be about your personality (even from tech people).
    One of the favorite question: 'what do you think about Netflix culture?'

Interview Questions

• same as posted before: with functions up, down, left, right, enter, create your own to write words on screen keyboard.   Answer Question