Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.9

Senior Information Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Reading the other interviews that did not get an offer on here it seems NetFlix is either very particular, or not as transparent as they claim in their culture deck. I did not get an offer and was also told that my background and skills do not match the position. A bit frustrating considering they reached out to me based on my background and experience. There were multiple phone interviews, and they flew me out as well for an all day interview with multiple people from different departments. The questions ranged from technical, to self awareness, to personality, it was all over the place. All of them kept drilling "Freedom of Responsibility"and how everyone is very candid on giving/receiving feedback. The people themselves were very nice, but when I asked for feedback, they were not so transparent as they were preaching.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to lead a project, the project fail, and how did you overcome?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process with Netflix was very smooth. I applied through the company's webpage and received an e-mail from the recruiter within 2 weeks. The discussion with the recruiter started off with an initial phone screening where the recruiter went over my background experiences to determine the applicability of my skills and experiences to the position. Following this, I was sent forward to the hiring manager within the finance division. This interview was very thorough as we went through each line of my resume. The interview also included market-sizing and case study questions that were based on Netflix's international expansion strategy. After completing the interview, Netflix wanted to fly me in for a half-day interview in their Los Gatos, CA office. The in-person interview was split between two stages. If you did well in stage 1, then they moved you on to stage 2. Everything was very well orchestrated and the staff was very delightful to work with. Tips for those looking to interview with Netflix: -Take the time to really understand Netflix's unique culture and how it pertains to you. This requires that you read and internalize Netflix's culture deck. Only certain personality types will do well or enjoy their time at Netflix. -Understand Netflix's international expansion strategy and the challenges the company faces. Also, explain how you can help the company overcome those challenges. This shows that you are in-tune with the company's objectives.

Interview Questions

• If Netflix is looking to expand its presence in Asia, what are some factors that you can use to evaluate the size of the Asia market, and what can Netflix do to capture this market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2015.

Interview

I filled out a short application online. I received an email about two weeks later asking me to do some tests including, grammar, typing and technical test. You also had to do this weird thing were you had to either take a video of yourself answering some questions or have a automated voice call. Warning: if you do the automated voice, you have hardly any instructions on how to proceed and I did horribly. Somehow, I passed that part of the hiring process and was emailed for a phone interview. This was pretty standard and just be yourself. It was about 10-15 minutes and I was asked to come in for an interview. Make sure you ask what you need to bring. In my case, they told me to come dressed casual and to be 10 minutes early and to BRING TWO FORMS OF ID. I showed up and met with some other interviewees, most of which were great and full of energy. This interview lasted about two hours and here is how it went down. -The recruiter and two Netflixcs employees were in the interview. The first thing asked was what is our favorite show or movie and how to we enjoy it. -There was a small slideshow deal and then we were asked to roleplay. Basically, the recruiter made up a scenario for each individual and the individual had to act like the owner of a business while the recruiter was the customer. -After the first roleplay, we had to do a second round of roleplay questions. In this roleplay, the two Netflixcs employees would give each individual feedback and you were to implement it into the second roleplay scenario. Now, this is something I found a bit strange. Almost everyone had negative feedback but me and another person. They said I did a great job and really didn't offer much else. This roleplay was a netflix specific scenario and you had to go up on a laptop in front of everyone and "take a call". I nailed it, or so I thought. I didn't sound scripted, I sounded confident and knowledable. It was all around, a good customer experience. -After this last roleplay, we were told that they were going to step out and talk, then pull each of us out for a chat. I was one of the first few called out and I knew this was probably not a good sign. The recruiter didn't even take me in another room, she literally walked me out the door and said "we are just pulling people out and letting them know we will have a decision in a few days." Now, I understand that I may not fit the role that Netflixcs is wanting for employees. What I don't understand and what I find as an insult to my intelligence is everything that happened in the last minute after I left the room full of people. You ask us to bring two forms of ID but somehow you are now needing a few days to discuss it? Don't be a coward and just be honest with people. We are all adults and should be treated with a basic level of respect. This really told me a lot about how working at Netflixcs might be, and I don't believe I would have been a good fit with the lack of professionalism on their part that has taken place as soon as leaving the group interview. I still haven't gotten the courtesy email or phone call the recruiter said I would get when walking out the door. Good luck to anyone interview there and don't expect to get the job, even if you have always provided a positive customer experience with great energy.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite movie or show and how do you enjoy watching it.   1 Answer

Client Technology Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Beverly Hills, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A friend/current employee submitted my resume. I was contacted by their recruiter and scheduled a phone interview with her. She recommended reviewing their strategy and culture presentation slides. Phone interview with the recruiter went well and I scheduled a video conference interview with the hiring manager. The video conference lasted about 30 minutes and we went over my experience and skills. The manager confirmed he'd like to have me come in for an in-person interview. I spent 2.5 hours meeting with the team in pairs both in person and over video conference. I met with the recruiter and hiring manager once more and that concluded the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Let's say three people come to you with a problem, a Director comes to you unable to login to their computer, a manager has a problem with his computer, and an assistant having a problem with email.   Answer Question
    • Go thru your thought process if you were the IT director for a startup and they were setting up a new office.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix (Portland, OR).

Interview

Started with a phone interview, and then a group interview. It turned into survivor, with people being cut after every round. The process included a computer skills test, mock phone calls, and a one on one with a supervisor.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of personality questions and hypothetical situations.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

The manager sent email and then had quick chat. Then recruiter followed up requesting reading their 100+ page culture document. Then technical phone screen seems to be easy and feedback is good. I thought I will go onsite. The following day, recruiter sent email stating skill miss match. It is kind of wasting time to ask for phone screen if they knew the mismatch in the first place.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in May 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by the recruiter. Setup a time to talk, went through the ~ 100 something slideshow. The recruiter said she was impressed with my skills, set up time to talk with the Hiring Manager. I spoke to the Hiring Manager who was nice to talk to, went over my background and skills in depth. He was particularly interested in knowing about my AWS experience and how I designed a scalable Metrics collection service . Overall was a positive conversation purely on background and experience. Next up, the Hiring Manager suggested a technical programming phone screen. And I setup some time for it. The phone-screen was awkward from the start. I google'd the interviewer's name before the interview and found out that he's the kind who runs blogs on interviewing questions and puzzles. While I particularly detest narrowing down Software Engineering to a bunch of puzzle type questions, I am well aware of what such kinds of interviewers are after. I prepped hard and going through Cracking the Coding Interview and other resources. When I saw the interview problem, I just had the gut feel that I could crack this, I went through the edge-cases and design ideas meticulously and wrote the code given below. 3 days later, I get an email from the recruiter saying that "my background and skills do not match". I tried to follow up but did not get concrete feedback. This was very weird and I felt frustrated, since I had already spoken to the Hiring Manager - and he'd okay-ed a phone screen - either the recruiter was lying or I was being used as interview target practice for someone on the team. For the record, I never head back from them on what skills they thought I was 'mismatched'. Overall I think it was a finicky process and a company.

Interview Questions

• Letter Combinations of a Phone Number   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

First applied online. 2 days later, got an email from the recruiter, she gave me links to do different tests (1. Typing test, need at least 35wpm. 2. Grammar test, just to make sure you know how to read and speak basically. 3. Netflix help center test. Basic questions about basic technical stuff) and also a link to do a video interview type thing. It asks basic netflix related questions and you film your response. Unlimited time from when you read the question to when you respond, but your response has to be under 30s. Just relax and be calm and laidback. Netflix's major thing is that they aren't hiring for an actual call center, so dont give off a call center vibe. After that, a couple days later, the recruiter emailed me back and asked for a time id be available for a phone interview. She called me the next day and asked me normal interview questions (name a time you went above and beyond for a customer, a time you recieved feedback and implemented it, etc). Then we scheduled an in person interview. For the in person interview, I dressed very casually, like leggings and a tshirt. I got to the interview about 20 minutes early and waited for the other applicants to arrive (its a group interview). 3 other people arrived, and we all talked about our favorite movies and shows until the recruiter called us all back. The recruiter and 2 other netflix people introduce themselves and then asked us to introduce ourselves and say our favorite movie/tvshow. Then they do scenarios. The first is a non-netflix related question, the second is a netflix related question, where you use their online help center to answer. I suggest familiarizing yourself with the help center before you interview, its the same one that customers use. Throughout the interview, i stayed happy and excited. I complimented everyone else's roleplays when they asked what we thought of the scenarios. Engaged with the interviewers along with the other interviewees. The biggest thing netflix cs wants is a human experience, where you're a real human talking to other real humans. No robotic responses. At the end, they'll begin walking people out of the building one by one. The first people taken out are those who don't recieve a position. However, in my experience, i was one of the first people walked out, but i was walked into another room to be offered the position. Two others in my interview group were also hired, and we filled out our paperwork on the spot, so bring your drivers license and social security card or other 2 forms of identification in case you do get hired. Overall, stay positive, laid back, understanding, casual, make sure not to be too professional, and be a real human, not fake.

Interview Questions

• Whats your favorite tvshow and movie and how do you like to watch them?   1 Answer
    • Name 5 devices you can watch Netflix on. (This was on the initial application)   1 Answer
    • What was a customer service experience that you recieved that you enjoyed as the customer?   1 Answer
    • What was a good customer service experience where you were the one providing customer service?   1 Answer
    • What do these experiences have in common? What makes them stand out?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was approached via an executive recruitment agency for the role. As part of the procedure around 8 interviews were held, including global CFO and CLO. these interviews were partly via web call, partly in person. During the interviews I had a very positive experience. Interviewers could detail out the role and the expectations, Netflix culture and values. The 'aftercare' was unprofessional. After the final interview there was silence, a long silence. After several emails and calls still silence. Finally I had to learn via the recruitment agency that the silence meant they would not move further with the position. Up to today still no feedback from the Netflix team about why they did not want to move on, the position is still open. To my view you should always tell candidates about the decision positive or negative, either via a short email, or even better in a short phone call.

Interview Questions

• There were no unusual questions, nor in depth topic related questions. The role was a senior director function, and was more a relation building discussion.   1 Answer

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Intense. I went through about 4 rounds of phone interviews, and then had a very time consuming code challenge. I was afterwards invited in for an onsite interview, which was a cross country trip for me. I reviewed the other Glassdoor interview notes, and it seemed that many people had been invited out, but hadn't gotten offers. I expressed this concern to my recruiter, and got a nonanswer. The onsite went straight from 10-2; no breaks, no lunch. I thought I had done well and I was supposed to have two more interviews, but they told me they weren't interested and ended early, kicking me out starving and humiliated. In that final discussion, it was pretty clear that they would fly a lot of candidates out with little intention of hiring them. I felt like it was a wasted day, and 2 days of vacation I used up from my current job due to the cross country flights.

Interview Questions

• Some technical, other personality. They are big on their culture slides. Definitely know how to code. Python will especially be a ++   Answer Question