Netflix

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Getting the Interview

231 candidate interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Interview started with a phone screening which lasted 20 minutes and I was asked to come for an interactive interview the following week.I showed up for the interactive interview and there were around five other candidates.We were given a tour of the office and then led to the conference room to meet two HR folks and two other managers.We were individually asked basic customer service related questions and shown a PowerPoint presentation about Netflix.They kept stressing about the importance of being empathetic and understanding the customers.We all agreed and I thought the interactive part went well.Next we were given certain scenarios and we had to role play which was a bit nerve racking but fine.Then there was a computer test on how to find the best solutions for customers calling with general problems and then a written test.After that we shadowed a Netflix customer service rep and listened in on a call.I thought I had done well enough to be hired.Next we were walked to the door and told we would receive an email with a yes or no answer.I waited 3 days to hear back but got no response (these are the same people who stressed about the importance of customer service...what a joke) so I decided to email the recruiter and then got a reply saying they decided not to hire me since my background was not what they were looking for.My question is did they not know my background from my resume and I have been in a customer service role in almost every job I have done.How hard is it to take a call from a customer.This is not rocket science and does not require any specialized skill.Anyone can do this job. Why did they call me for an interview if my background was not what they were looking for.All my information was in my resume which they had.I really was unhappy with the end result. I feel that I was discriminated against.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Program Manager - Risk Management and Data Privacy Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – I applied via their website and the recruiting coordinator responded about 1 month later. She wants to setup a phone interview with the... recruiter. Yep, not with the hiring manager or anyone in the Program Manager (PM) team, the recruiter.

I went ahead and spoke with the recruiter, who ask me questions as if she is the hiring manager - tell me about your job, how do you do risk assessment, etc. However, it was clear she does not know much about governance, risk and compliance, especially PII laws and regulation. Her response most often are "mmmhhmm.", "yeah....". It is a bizarre process - why bring in a non-technical person to interview for a technical position, especially those that requires knowledge of PII laws and regulations? In this case, a recruiter.

Needless to say, I was not selected based on what the recruiter THINK as I didn't even get to speak with the hiring manager.

This is a classic example where recruiting is the "gatekeeper". You need to make the recruiter happy BEFORE you can even speak with the hiring manager.

Leadership Position Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in February 2013.

Interview Details – The phone interview took 30 minutes and the questions were normal for a first interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Content Accounting Specialist Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – I applied through the staffing operation department and had them forward my resume to the HR department. I got an email 2 days later to set up a phone interview. The interview was pretty standard, but I was a bit nervous and it negatively impacted my performance. The interviewer was quick to wind down the interview after she picked up on my nerves.

Interview Question – Large focus on experience rather than personal qualities. No questions about my "greatest strength" or a "time I failed."   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Interviewed at Netflix

Interview Details – Don't expect to land a job on their Talent Acquisition Team, if you don't look like you stepped out of Legally Blonde.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview that was all the basic questions. "What do you know about Netflix?" "Why do you want to work here?" "What are your goals?" etc... After completion of the phone interview my next interview was at the hub with the Operations Manager. This interview was very informal and consisted mostly of the manager explaining the job and the history behind the hub.

Interview Question – How do you deal with an employee that isn't working up to expectations?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer (Android) Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Netflix in February 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring manager reached out to me via LinkedIn (later on, HR checked whether it piqued my curiosity that the hiring manager reached out. So having the hiring manager reach out is a calculated process).

After I responded favorably to the manager's email, we talked on the phone about my past work and what I'd like to do. He gave me a few basic Android questions: threads, threadpool, surfaceview... pretty much anything relevant to threaded video decoding and showing video on the screen.

The interview with the hiring manager went well and a couple of days later I had a technical phone screen with an Android developer.

The Android developer also talked about my past work experiences, and discussed what he did at work. Of course, he asked a few technical Android questions. He also touched on threadpools.

The technical phone screen must have been OK because HR then sent me an email to have me come in to their Los Gatos office. HR scheduled a flight and hotel ASAP - I was surprised how quickly they were moving.

The first in-person interview was with the hiring Manager. He struck me as a decent manager that's hands off and will let me get on with my work. Again, we just discussed past work experiences on my resume. I believe this interview went well.

The second in-person interview was with the Android developer I spoke with on the phone. He wanted me to use the white board to describe the architecture I came up with for my previous project. He then asked questions about it - why I implemented things the way I did. I believe that this interview went well.

The third in-person interview was where it all started to fall apart. He did not introduce himself. He sat down without shaking hands or making eye contact. I then also sat down and he pushed a piece of paper in my face with C++ code. The first task was to figure out a variable scope problem. Afterward, he pushed two additional pieces of paper in front of me with Java code; he wanted me to figure out a class modifier problem (public / private / protected / none) and how it relates to scope across packages. Afterward, using the same code, he wanted me to give the output to the log - there were several "printlog()" statements at specific sections of a class: constructor and static block.
This guy's job was to test knowledge corner cases.

The fourth in-person interview was on :
1) on the white-board, show a class that implements a stack with infinite depth (using a linked-list)
2) write a recursive function that solves the equation X[n] = X[n-1] + X[n-2] where X is an array that contains at least two integer values and the function should solve the question for the 3rd value in the array.
3) THE SALAD TEST!! This is some weird psycho test where he brings in two salads and asks you to choose one. Note1: this interview will take place during lunch hour. Note2: he won't eat with you, he'll watch !! Even though I complained about being uncomfortable about this situation (and was pushing the salad away!) he insisted "No, you go eat!". So I ended up snacking on the lame salad out of peer pressure.
I recommend that you take the salad and toss it in the trash and say "I prefer burgers". I think that will win you that particular interview.

Interview Question – write a recursive function that solves the equation X[n] = X[n-1] + X[n-2] where X is an array that contains at least two integer values and the function should solve the question for the 3rd value in the array   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in January 2013.

Interview Details – First phone screen with recruiter, second phone screen with hiring manager. On-site interview with 5+ people, including recruiter. MAKE SURE YOU STUDY POWER POINT SLIDE ON COMPANY WEBSITE OF VALUES AND CULTURE! Recruiter's job seems to be only to make sure you know the company's values and culture inside and out.

Interview Question – Expected to have memorized the company's values and cultures power point (50+ slides)   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Received initial phone screen by hiring manager and was later brought on site for the formal interview process. The formal process included 4 or 5 60 minute interviews with a broad range of questions on level of familiarity with certain accounting principals to case questions on market sizing

Interview Question – Say the CEO stops by your desk and asks you whether or not we should go into an untapped market. How would you determine the size of the addressable market and the factors the Netflix should consider before deciding to enter the market   Answer Question

Director of Engineering Interview

Director of Engineering

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – I was contacted via my LinkedIn account - the hiring manager and I had a common friend of mine. After I accepted the invitation to chat we had a long phone call. About two weeks later I went for a whole day of interviews and spoke with six people. On the following week had another two interviews with the higher management. At that point the hiring manager mentioned there was some reorg going and they'll have to hold the process for some time.

Overall the whole process was fair and everyone was friendly throughout all interviews.

Interview Question – Design thread syncrhonization function to access common resources.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix interview questions and advice. All 231 interview reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees and interview candidates.