Netflix

231 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

Interview Details – I inquired about the senior software engineer from netflix directly from their website at the end of 2013. I received an email from HR staff first week of 2014 asking if we can have a chat. The initial chat went well. Mostly consisted of asking me what I am currently doing and a brief of the position. The HR staff also asked that I looked over the 200+ page powerpoint. We then scheduled a meeting with the engineering manager for the group. Meeting with the hiring manager was brief and straightforward. The gist of the conversation was about the position and netflix. The follow up technical interview was straightforward, no nonsense stuff. However, I haven't heard from them for over a week. I don't think I am a match after all. But overall, it was a good experience for me to get my feet wet again on the interview scene.

Movies Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Overall the process was easy, they asked me some basic questions which didn't take much thinking to answer

Interview Question – Name 10 ways in which you can customize Netflix for the users   Answer Question

DevOps Engineer Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in January 2013.

Interview Details – One recruiter call, a hiring manager call, and a technical call, followed by an on-site interview. During this time, the employer didn't bother to find out whether the position was actually a DevOps position or a software engineer position. By the time I got on site, I guess they decided that it was a software engineer position (with a slight focus on operations).

Some interviewers on site were prepared and professional, others were not. Overall, the experience was negative. I should never have been on site for an interview because I clearly did not have the skill set they were looking for, since I have a stronger ops background than a dev background.

Given the reviews indicating a culture of fear at Netflix, and my experience interviewing, I won't pursue a position with this company.

Interview Question – Most questions were out of my area of specialty.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Applied directly. Initial contact with HR who gave me their really long slideshow about Netflix culture. Then there was a very light phone screen (which was mostly javascript trivia) with a hiring manager. Then I was invited on-site. They were a bit disorganized, and they told me that only two people were available to interview me and that I'd have to come back again if it went well.

First on-site interview was mostly system design questions, which was fine.

The second was a full implementation of an entire web front end component, complete with markup. This was a lot of pretty inconsequential code to write by hand with a marker, but I gave it a shot. There were a number of library functions that I couldn't remember off the top of my head, which seemed to annoy my interviewer. I usually try to "think out loud" for these kinds of interviews, but with something so rote, I didn't really have anything to say while I was just dumping HTML out onto the board.

My interviewer didn't really have any engagement in the process, eventually he just started playing on his phone. I guess he didn't like the way I had implemented the component, but he didn't really give much feedback.

After going through the obligatory, "questions for him" phase, he said bye and just walked in the opposite direction from the lobby, leaving me to just show myself out. It didn't seem very professional.

I was really expecting data structure and algorithm questions- the kind that are conducive to whiteboard coding. Instead, the seemed more interested in javascript gotchas and library trivia. I don't really see how that's helpful in an interview, but what do I know?

As a general comment, the Cultural slideshow gave me a few concerns about working there at Netflix, but no one at any stage of the whole process was willing to give answers to culture-related questions beyond just regurgitating what was in the long slide deck.

Interview Question – Complete implementation of an html front-end with full markup and all scripts and tests-Done on a whiteboard in 20 minutes.   View Answer

Director of Product Innovation, Children and Family Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Netflix asking if I was interested in a position with the company. After emailing back, the recruiter sent me a description for the Director of Product Innovation in Los Gatos, California. She also sent me a very long slideshow about the company's work philosophy. I had one phone interview with the young recruiter who was fresh out of college, and it seemed to go well. She said she'd let me know in a week if they wanted to schedule a second interview. It was right before the winter holiday break, so I assumed it would take longer. Well, I followed up with her in early January and never heard anything back. I've interviewed at companies in person and over the phone for 12 years, and this was the first time ANY company ever failed to respond after the initial interview. I was really surprised at the level of disrespect shown by such a highly regarded company as Netflix.

Some advice for Netflix:
1. Offer candidates another chance for a first impression besides a five minute phone call with a 20-year old who has no work or life experience.

2. Practice professional courtesy by confirming with a candidate whether they are entitled to a second interview - after saying you would. Don't contact them out of the blue then completely blow them off.

3. Shred every copy of your work philosophy slideshow. It's one of the creepiest documents I've ever read and frankly I was much less interested in working at Netflix after reading it. It tries so hard to show how un-corporate the culture is that it ends up coming off completely conceited and self-aggrandizing - like something out of Egger's novel, The Circle.

Interview Question – Overall, the recruiter's questions were fairly innocuous.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – The recruiters were very professional and organized. The interview with the team lasted about 2 1/2 hours. It's clear that Netflix is looking for a very specific kind of person.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you screwed up at your previous job.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Netflix

Interview Details – 2 phone screens: Netflix recruiter and then Hiring Manager
Final Round: All-day, on-site, spoke to 7 individuals

Feedback was collected by the hiring manager as the interviews progressed, and allowed immediate discussion after the day was wrapped up.

I was treated well all day, and was a very professionally-run day of interviewing.

Interview Question – Very bright people, and asked interesting case questions.

The HR person will ask you if you watch any Netflix shows (Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, etc). This is a big initiative (read: revenue stream), so be aware of it!

Most difficult question was technical based and involved describing the most efficient way to compare two lists of keywords.
  Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in August 2010.

Interview Details – Excellent, know the slide deck before regarding the culture

Interview Question – Where have you failed and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy, fast, willing to work with timelines

Staffing Coordinator Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the company website in mid-December. Didn't hear anything for three weeks. Then the Lead Staffing Coordinator emailed me to arrange a phone interview for the upcoming week. No hassles there, the phone interview went well, and the Staffing Coordinator scheduled an onsite interview the following day!

Onsite, I met with a potential co-worker, manager, and recruiter. It was a fairly relaxed interview with standard interview questions -- nothing unexpected. Everyone was friendly and made sure I felt welcome onsite.

Sadly, the Lead Staffing Coordinator emailed me the day after the interview and said they were seeking other candidates for the role. Overall, though, it was one of the best interview experiences I've had. Netflix prides itself for being prompt with job candidates, and that definitely reflects my experience.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Asked standard questions one would find in any interview (Why Netflix? Tell me about yourself. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How would you handle [difficult situation on the job]? etc.)   Answer Question

Helpdesk Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Netflix in June 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and scheduled for a phone interview for her. Didn't ask many questions and only had me talk.

Interview Question – Asked me what my current salary was   Answer Question