Netflix

Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Senior Analyst - Marketing Planning & Analysis - Originals Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

Submitted my resume via an internal contact, was contacted by HR a week later to schedule a 30 min. phone interview. She sent the culture deck for me to review before our phone call. She was very nice and asked questions about job experience and gave a little bit more background to the position and asked me my thoughts on the Netflix culture. A couple of days later she emailed and said she wants to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager (who is based out in the Los Gatos campus) for the next day. She also sent along Netflix's long term view on their Investor Relations website to review before the call with the hiring manager. Found it an interesting read, but irrelevant to the interview. ~30 min. phone interview with the hiring manager, asked about experience and background and told me what he envisioned for the role. Told me the HR rep would be in contact with me in the next couple of days.

Phone interview with Hiring manager was on Thursday before a holiday, and was contacted by the HR rep on Monday to invite me to come in for an onsite interview. Said the scheduler would contact me. On Wednesday the scheduler contacted me and asked me to come in on Friday, which didn't give me much time to arrange time off from my current employer, which I didn't appreciate. We made it work either way.

Was scheduled to interview with 4 people in a span of 2 hours: the hiring manager (who was in the Beverly Hills office that day), and 2 directors from other business units the role would frequently interact with, and 1 video conference with a different HR person. First interviewer was 15 min. late which cut into our 30 min. interview time slot. Otherwise punched through all the interviews, everyone was intelligent, bright, and friendly. Interview was on Friday afternoon and was told HR would get back to me early next week. Was contacted via phone call on Tuesday afternoon to say that "although the feedback was positive, the team thought that you weren't perfect for the role." Which seems to be the generic rejection statement they give everyone.

I asked the HR person if she had any specifics about why they decided not to move forward with me as a reference going forward, and she had no specifics, suggested I speak to the hiring manager. Emailed him, but highly doubt he'll respond.

Overall questions were pretty generic and average. I didn't get a bad feeling from any one person. The hiring manager asked me a couple of "case" like questions regarding hypothetical scenarios. The HR rep asked me my thoughts about the culture and if I watch any Netflix Originals.

Interview Questions
    • -Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
      -If you had to take away everything you know about your current position where you work, what would you be doing?
      -If you had no metrics, how would you plan the budget for a marketing campaign?

Answer Question

Accounting Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter at Netflix and we had an initial phone interview about a week later. First of all, the recruiter was based out of state. He contacted me on my secondary phone number instead of my main line and the call came late. I had a hard time understanding him to begin with as I think English was his second language. I asked a few questions myself which he answered irrelevantly. The questions were purely experience based and nothing out of the ordinary but I could tell he wasn't an experienced recruiter and didn't seem passionate about the job as most at reputable, big companies don't seem like they're ticking off questions on a checklist but keep the conversation flowing naturally, but geared towards a purpose. I thought to myself the entire time, I wouldn't want to work for this company if these are the values they stand for. In the end, they had already filled the position, but it was really no loss since I hadn't applied in the first place, but they had initially contacted me.

Senior User Interface Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

Phone screen with hiring manager that included basic algorithm and JavaScript questions. Onsite interview consisted of 4 interviews 1) Data structure and algorithms, and basic JS question 2) Going over home exercise. 3-4) HR and Hiring manager kind not much thinking required

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to have more efficient algorithm that involved doubly linked List with a Hash of nodes to implement a basic cache.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

With in few weeks of time, got call from HR, talked 30 mins reading the projects and role etc, and the normal HR questions like why are you looking for a change, why netflix etc

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference you see in company x, with respect to your previous company y ?   Answer Question

Creative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

I was contacted by a Netflix recruiter via LinkedIn. Had several stages of interviews: one with the recruiter via phone, one with the would-be manager via phone, and one visit to their offices where I met with 4 people separately, the last of the four being with another recruiter via telepresence. I did my research, came prepared and felt I did well (although the last recruiter I met with already seemed to dislike me), but received a phone call the next day that they were looking for somebody with a different skill-set. I asked for more information and feedback, which the recruiter did not know and said she would get back to me, but never did. I have heard, however, that it must be a unanimous decision for them to hire somebody.

The regular employees I met with were pleasant (although one was so unprepared I felt like I was interviewing her), but I did not have a pleasant experience with the recruiters. There were too many involved in the process, yet they were completely disconnected and failed to treat candidates as human beings. Most of their questions felt like trick questions, which they were hoping I would fail and seemed completely disinterested, fake, and rude.

Interview Questions
    • Who do you think is Netflix's competitor and why?   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix.

They move quite fast. One phone interview with the recruiter, and another detailed one with the hiring manager. Two onsite interviews with around 4 people first time (data scientists/engineers) and 3 people (higher level execs) second time. A mix of product, business, analytical and stats questions. Stats questions mostly revolved around A/B testing: hypothesis testing, etc. A couple easy-medium SQL questions. Analytical question included a hypothetical problem to analyze, metrics to evaluate product performance, etc. Higher level executives mostly focused on background and past experience.

Interview Questions
    • Toughest question was not technically tough, but helping a non-technical exec understand some technical concepts.   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in June 2014.

Applied online and HR got back to me within a couple of weeks. The process took around 3 weeks. The interview with HR was a standard interview where we talked about my background, technical skills, programs I use...etc. HR also asked questions about the company: Why Netflix? Are you a member? What do you think about values of Netflix? Pick 3 that would suits you best and explain why.

After a week, they arranged a phone interview with the Hiring manager. He was very friendly. We talked about my background, he gave information on the position and asked a couple of technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prevent overfitting and complexity of a model? How do you measure and compare models? How should we approach to attribution modeling to measure marketing efffectiveness?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in June 2014.

Had a phone screen with the Sourcer and then another with the Recruiter. Sent thank you emails with looking forward to next steps. Never received a reply or a regret notification.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions on experience. Was asked for an example employee relations issue and how dealt with it and how build relationship managers of client groups.   Answer Question

Driver Interview

'Accidently' came across the phone number for the local hub in town. Manager said he was 'impressed' by that alone. Scheduled an interview within the week. Standard behavioral questions. Was on the clock within 2 weeks.

Non-negotiable.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

Applied online, got called within the day for a phone interview and scheduled a group interview. Took a timed typing and website navigation test with a group of people, and was hired within two or three days