Netflix

231 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Aurora, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – I received a call. They asked a few basic questions(how does Netflix work, name some browsers) and called me in for an interview. I had a typing test and grammar test. The next day we had a hands on interview to see our customer service skills. We then got to sit in with a real chat agent. We sat there for ten minutes asking any questions and we then were all called into a room and the ones that made it were told they were accepted. Only one girl didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – How can you deal with an upset customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. $8 per hour while training(training is 2 weeks) and $10 after training.

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in July 2013.

Interview Details – Three telephone interviews, then a paid flight to Los Gatos. One HR general interview for cultural fit, 4 relatively tough technical interviews, then a break at lunch to see if they wanted to go further. 3 interviews after lunch, including one at the director's level dealing with high-level concerns ("who is Netflix's most dangerous competitor today and in 5 years?")

Interview Question – Toughest were those that required industry knowledge, and good idea of the "space" in which the company is currently operating and wishes to in the future.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Truly unbelievable salary offer.

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty quick. Took a technical test for the first interview and then a face to face interview with a Team Lead. After that I took an interactive group interview where they weeded out the weaker prospects.

Interview Question – What is your 90 Day Plan if we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotioations.

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in March 2013.

Interview Details – step1 - 2 telephonic, step2 - 4onsite, step3 - 2onsite interview

Interview Question – regular interview questions only   Answer Question

Senior IT Tool Engineer Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in June 2013.

Interview Details – Saw a job announcement in San Francisco Drupal User group. The job was for Drupal Developer who will join the group and develop IT tools. Yes, I agree even the job announcement is not clear. I got curious and applied to see how far I go. I got a response from the hiring manager within 10 minutes. It turned out he had joined Netflix two months ago, and he came across as a person with enormous responsibility to deliver something to the upper management.

He seemed more as a manager who is out of touch with real technical details and not able to precisely articulate how Drupal fits in in developing IT engineering tools. Then I learnt (in later interview rounds) that they used Drupal recently to set up a site which was done within 10 days without any prior experience with Drupal. Still I don't understand how Drupal comes into play with IT tools project. In my opinion they got over zealous with their first experience of Drupal and (mis)used SF Bay Area Drupal group to bring in candidates. Totally unprofessional and waste of Drupal developer's time if you take this bite.

Anyhow, the first phone interview left me with an impression of lack of clarity in job specifications. I attributed that to the manager being new to the company and asked to do too much in a short amount of time. He concluded the conversation, saying he will schedule a phone interview with couple of his team engineers.

I promptly attended the second phone interview with two engineers who have been with the company for about two years. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes with bad phone connection having to repeat myself several times. I started to form an opinion that the job is more of IT in nature than Drupal development. Most of the questions (95%) were about, configuring servers, monitoring server, securing servers, network topology, server technology etc. I had to make it clear to them, I don't have recent experience in System Administration and my concentrations these days are LAMP application and Drupal Website building. At the end, they concluded saying I can follow up with the hiring manager.

After the second interview, I lost my curiosity about this job and didn't put any effort to follow up. I didn't hear anything from Netflix either, so I thought it has ended with unspoken mutual agreement. But to my surprise, I got a call and an email from the HR department to schedule for a f2f interview 10 days after my second phone interview. I was not still sure whether to go forward and accept the invitation with an understanding that they are overlooking my lack of System Admin experience and focusing on my strong Drupal experience; or discard it as a job announcement without a clear job specification.

Weighed pros and cons; with 8 hours of additional investment (4.5 of interview time and 3.5 hours of travel time), I will learn a little bit more about me and a little bit more about the for-profit world trying to hire an open-source application developer.

Totally 5 sessions of 45 minutes each were scheduled. A conference room was reserved for the interview. First I met with the two engineers I had spoken to during the second interview. They were professional, cordial and came prepared with questions. But the questions were all server configuration and setup related. I was beginning to wonder whether their questions will ever start focusing on Drupal related technical questions. They didn't, somehow we managed to exchange ideas and opinions for 45 minutes and the session ended to my relief. Now I am convinced I am in a wrong place, and facing another 3 hours of System related questions. I was right. Fortunately the hiring manager sensed that I am not able to fully participate in the interview sessions and let me go free and cancelled the last two sessions.

LESSON LEARNT: if the job specifications in the announcement are not matching the nature of phone interview questions, don't proceed. Investing more time and energy are not worth it. Just because a job appears in Drupal group does not mean that that job is going to require Drupal experience.

Interview Question – All the questions were unexpected. None of them were Drupal related. All of them were related to system administration or server configuration.   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in June 2013.

Interview Details – A Director personally reached out to me via email in hopes to learn more about myself, my work and if I would be interested in migrating from my current company to theirs, and why.

It was Netflix, a house-hold name, so naturally, I entertained the idea, sitting through the 1+ hours phone screenings with not only himself, but with another UX Manager. After a vague, ambiguous job description of 'Lead Designer' was originally proposed to me, I still felt the need to at very least, explore their opportunity and see what could possibly come of the adventure. From there, it just went down hill.

After being sent through an e-mail funnel of 3+ recruiters and 2 managers (as if they couldn't figure out who's job was to do what), they invited me in for an 'all-day' interview from 10am - 5pm. I was then told I would receive a confirmation email with the details of the day/specs as soon as they had them. Transportation was also still up in the air, considering I had no real information to work with (as I live in SF, and they are located in Los Gatos).

Days went by, and the evening before the interview, a lengthy email filled with tables and over 8 different members I would be meeting with, was sent over to me. Not only was the title of the role quite different from the original conversation I already had ('Senior User Experience Designer'), but was followed by this statement:

"*The interview is divided into two parts; based on the response from the Part 1 interviewers, you may or may not proceed with Part 2. Feedback will be given accordingly."

Seriously? Quite the red flag right there. Who goes through the efforts to screen a candidate, seemingly review their work, and then ASK them to take time out of their existing schedule, just to still tell you that there is a very good chance you won't even get to round 2? I've actually had the pleasure of interviewing with Google, and even Adobe, and have never heard of such a tactic. I stressed my overall concerns to one of the recruiters, who then told another recruiter to follow up with me to tell me that the Director wanted to actually call and set my mind at ease.

After an hour or so of questionable excuses why I should still interview and/or not to take their emails verbatim, I reluctantly decided to give it my best shot. He even proceeded to tell me that candidates are only asked to leave due to very extreme circumstances. Regardless, after 6 hours of sitting in a confined room, talking to countless cold, un-interested managers, a terrible airplane styled lunch, a 45 min demo collab session, and a 30 min presentation to 4+ members, the lead Director still had the audacity to cut me off mid-sentence, to tell me this wasn't going to work, and that I wasn't 'collaborative' enough, when that's all I had strived for, for the last 3.5 hours -- was listen, speak and execute my thoughts vs/with theirs. They asked me to 'take charge', 'be a leader' etc and then turned around and demanded the opposite. Not only was I insulted at a very high level, but it was one of the most unprofessional, conflicting interview experiences of my life.

Even if I had been awarded the position, I would have declined due to the arrogance, misleading and poor excuse for culture and product process they represent. Overall a complete waste of time and effort.

Interview Question – I've been in design/tech for just under 10 years now, and the whole experience was fairly abnormal. Be prepared for a un-realistic 2 hour design exercise and presentation.   View Answer

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in June 2013.

Interview Details – Despite all the bad reviews I went ahead and took the opportunity to work for this company. I had my second interview today and got hired. The managers there are awesome and very friendly the interview was fun . I even got the chance to talk to some employees who told me that they love working there .

Interview Question – Just normal interview questions , with a little bit of roleplaying .nothing difficult   View Answer

Director, HRIS Interview

Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Unsolicited recruiter contacted me and connected me for a 2nd call with HRBP. HRBP was knowledgeable about Netflix & passionate about being an employee of Netflix. She asked many questions about how I could execute in role w/o process, spent most time on culture of anti process, which started to get redundant. I asked questions about role she couldnt answer with certainy about scope, priorities. She kept coming back to 'anti process'. I think disconnect was that she was mostly interested in in culture, but as a candidate, my primary interest was understanding the role so I could decide how it was similar or different from what I was already doing (which I was happy with), culture was secondary (as a passive candidate). I advised I was not interested in pursuing further when requested to come in for face to face.

Interview Question – Asked me how I would be successful with out process, but couldnt provide related info on the job itself for consideration and response. Interview exchange felt very disconnected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Netflix in May 2013.

Interview Details – The initial interview with the HR was great. The process was explained and the next interview was scheduled soon after the HR interview. The Engineer who interviewed me called late (this happens in many companies). It was a skype interview and the interviewer kept yawning throughout the interview. Overall the experience was ok. The questions asked were not to hard.

Interview Question – Questions relate to linked list, hash table and Algorithmic complexity.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in May 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. I followed up by email with my resume. They requested a phone call.

The phone call consisted of them verifying that I would be willing to relocate and consider a full-time position. There was no culture interview. No new information communicated beyond my resume. I got a minimal sales pitch that Netflix was awesome and paid well.

No follow up technical interview and it took an extra day to get back to me. Netflix contacted me. They had my resume for a week. Requested I prepare by looking through 150 slides, which I did. They took up at least an hour of my time. Meanwhile it was a complete waste for everyone involved. This would be no problem if I were sending my resume out. But they instigated all this, not me.

This is in contrast with Google (etc) who have been very professional, concise, positive and haven't wasted my time.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Netflix