Netflix

Relevance Date Difficulty

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

Interview Details – The initial process was almost a month from talking with HR/Recruiters to Hiring Managers. Had a total of 10 interviews/conversations with different personnel on the phone, in-person & via Skype. Definitely a new experience on being interviewed which I found was a slight over-kill, but that's the Netflix mantra on finding the best of the best, especially with their 'culture'.

After 10 rounds of talking to different personnel, I got a call that I didn't get the job, which I expected an email saying thanks, but no thanks.

I'm personally a huge fan of Netflix and I admire how coordinate/schedule their interviews on times & dates, but at least after 5 interviews/conversations, they should have an idea of a yes or no on a candidate, as at one stage, I really thought I would get a job offer as the interviews/conversations went on & on. But at the end of the day, they are looking for the 'right' candidate, which I wasn't the one.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your previous job?   Answer Question

Staffing Coordinator Interview

Staffing Coordinator
Los Gatos, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the company website in mid-December. Didn't hear anything for three weeks. Then the Lead Staffing Coordinator emailed me to arrange a phone interview for the upcoming week. No hassles there, the phone interview went well, and the Staffing Coordinator scheduled an onsite interview the following day!

Onsite, I met with a potential co-worker, manager, and recruiter. It was a fairly relaxed interview with standard interview questions -- nothing unexpected. Everyone was friendly and made sure I felt welcome onsite.

Sadly, the Lead Staffing Coordinator emailed me the day after the interview and said they were seeking other candidates for the role. Overall, though, it was one of the best interview experiences I've had. Netflix prides itself for being prompt with job candidates, and that definitely reflects my experience.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Asked standard questions one would find in any interview (Why Netflix? Tell me about yourself. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How would you handle [difficult situation on the job]? etc.)   Answer Question

Helpdesk Interview

Helpdesk

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Netflix in June 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and scheduled for a phone interview for her. Didn't ask many questions and only had me talk.

Interview Question – Asked me what my current salary was   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer for Automation Tools Interview

Senior Software Engineer for Automation Tools

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – I was in touch with the recruiting team and hiring manager for 2 months. I applied for a position and there was a HR call in October. A technical screening to evaluate my profile and skills was arranged. The initial call with the hiring manager went well and I was given a programming assignment to complete. The programming assignment wasn't something you could complete in a short period so I was given ample time to design and implement it. I spent roughly 10-12 programmer hours on the solution and gave it my best shot.

There was another call to talk about the solution and thought process. This call went well too and an onsite interview was scheduled. Given thanksgiving and other holidays the interview could only be arranged 3 weeks after. Dates were agreed upon, flight booked, hotel booked and I also took 2 day vacation for the interview.

I got a call last Friday that the position that I was suppose to interview for was filled and me flying in for the onsite interview was tentative. There was another position that I could be a fit for but the recruiter wanted me to talk to the engineering manager for this position. I go research this new position, listen to their videos over the weekend and also looked at the technologies that the team is using.

I talk to manager on Monday and we talk about a few things. He asks some questions related to how to test with mockito, junit and asks about my language preferences given that I was working on 2 different server side languages at the same time. I answer the question and I hear a huge sigh. I personally thought he was asking me questions just for the sake of asking.

I am personally a huge fan of Netflix and I admire how they are able to open source their technologies but this experience left me with a bitter taste.

Interview Question – Why did you leave the previous company that you worked for?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Senior Software Engineer In Test
Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had been in touch with a recruiter at Netflix for about 10 months before I decided to move forward with an interview. I didn't move forward earlier because I had been at my new company for about 6 months. When I reached out to the recruiter, she forwarded me to another recruiter who had an open position which matched my skill sets.

When I indicated I was interested in the role, she set up a meeting with the hiring manager who explained things in more detail, and also asked me some questions about my current role, and a coding question. Later that day the recruiter calls me back telling me they would like to schedule a phone interview with an engineer later in the day, or the next day. I tell them I'll need a week to get prepped, and we have it the following Monday, 5 days later. Within a few hours of the phone interview I get a call asking for availability to fly down to the HQ for an onsite.

At the onsite, I am scheduled for two rounds. A first one with 5 interviews (1 HR, 4 technical) and then 3 (with directors and VP for more high level/team fit). Advice: carry some energy bars with you because one of your interviews is a lunch interview, and your interviewer may not necessarily eat with you - so you want to avoid the awkwardness of eating and answering! Also, stop and get something to drink after each interview because you'll get thirsty after this much talking! Overall the people I met were friendly and open about Netflix's culture and didn't hesitate to answer any question I asked them.

I had the interview on Friday, and by Monday I was told that they were willing to make me an offer.

Interview Question – - Describe one of the most interesting/challenging bugs you found in your system (this is after explaining the architecture in detail) and how you went about getting it resolved.
- Expect coding questions through the entire process. Everything is fair game, from trees to recursion to dynamic programming
- Make sure you read the culture deck on the Netflix jobs site, you will get asked questions about it
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unbelievable salary offer. Numbers aren't provided until you accept their offer. Very little room to negotiate since this is pretty much top of market.

Automation Tools Engineer Interview

Automation Tools Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

Interview Details – I got an introductory e-mail from a recruiter through linkedin, and since the company has brand visibility, I thought why not. I was probably already setting myself up for a complete waste of time as I already worked at a premium engineering company in NYC and had no intention of moving to the west coast.

After responding, I got an e-mail from a second person sent to my personal account. After going back and forth and rescheduling (and canceling once), later I got a response saying that the position had been filled.

Then almost immediately a third person wrote to me offering me a chance to continue to interview for another position for which she thought my skills would be good. After a 20 minute phone call, the next day I received an e-mail that her hiring manager (and her team) had decided that I didn't have the right skills for any of their vast array of positions.

I let the entire thing go as 'instant karma in a plastic bowl'. Ultimately I was wasting more of my time than theirs. No regrets whatsoever.

Interview Question – No technical questions asked.   Answer Question

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview Details – Applied online was called a few days later. Answered some questions over the phone and made it into the in person interview.

Interview Question – Have you ever used Netflix?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hard to say, the entire organization has likely changed a lot since then. I no longer use Netflix so I have little to do with them anymore and I'm not sure how much has changed. I did not negotiate much when I started starting salary was alright.

Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Netflix in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online in November 2013 and was called a few days after I applied, and was offered an in person interview for the next day. She told me Orientation if hired will being this Friday and will start working on Monday. for 90 days no call offs, no lateness. an agreeable hourly wage which will be bumped up after the 90 days. She asked me about my computer skills, customer service skills basic interview questions.

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and with in a few days I received a call for a preliminary interview. I was then asked to interview in person the next day. I was offered a late night full time job position and as a full time student, I had to take a few hours to make a decision if I could afford a late night time schedule. The interviewer never gave me a call me back and I was disappointed, I would have taken the job offer.

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty basic, before the interview I had to take 3 test. One grammar test, one WPM test, and another test over my knowledge on internet trouble shooting.   Answer Question

Senior Finance Analyst Interview Interview

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Netflix

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin, had a phone screen afterwards, did well, so I scheduled for an official interview with hiring manager the following week on Thursday....

So, I started preparing for interview on the weekend and spent multiple hours learning the industry, business model, etc....40 minutes before the interview, HR sends me an email (didn't even attempt to call me and made some excuse about it), and said the position is filled...this is quite possibly the most UNPROFESSIONAL move I've ever experienced in my career...

If they can pull something like this, it says a lot about their corporate culture...word of advise, don't go there.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question