Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in January 2015.

Interview

Brought in for a half day of interviews, mostly with other software engineers and technical managers. Based on my performance in the first half of the interview process, they decided to not continue with the 2nd half (which would have been with executives and representatives from HR).

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a string as an arg, and returns the same string with all duplicates removed.   Answer Question

Senior IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2015.

Interview

First phone interview - This lasted about 15 minutes. I was first contacted via LinkedIn and was given some information to read in advance which included a 100+ slideshow. This was never brought up as a topic of discussion on their end later in the initial phone interview. It also didn't seem to impress them when I decided to mention and express the value in being able to view thie PowerPoint from start to finish and knowing more about the "opportunity". Interview questions included: "Tell me a bit about yourself?" "What IT knowledge do you have?" "Tell me about your current position and role?" That was pretty much all of the questions asked. Overall, I am really disappointed with the experience I had through this interview process. I had a very positive and enthusiastic attitude throughout the interview process. The interviewer was not even in the IT department, and was unable to answer any of my technical questions I had for the company. The response to the questions I had for the interviewer was that they were "excellent questions" and that they will get back to me with an answer, which never happened. The most technical comment from the interviewer was that I would need to know how to setup and configure various devices such as printers... Really? It is very difficult to explain over 10 years of technical knowledge and experience to a non-technical person in under 15 minutes. I was then told that a decision will be made in the next few days and they will let me know. Several days later, I was getting a little concerned and decided to reach out to them to follow-up on my status. Shortly after, I was given a canned response.

Interview Questions

• Need to know how to setup hardware such as printers.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was contacted by a Netflix HR rep via linkedin. I followed up, spoke to the HR person, and then had a phone interview with a technical manager. I passed that initial phone-screen, but declined the on-site interview when I realized that all Netflix employees work on-site in Los Gatos, CA, and I would have had to relocate.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview covered some simple algorithmic questions - what is the complexity of lookup/insert for a linked list? A hash table? We talked through the computation of Fibonacci numbers.   1 Answer

CSR-1 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2014.

Interview

hiring done through temp agency, group interview including a test to see how well we could navigate a computer. Second interview over the phone, third interview with netflix managment. They had you role play a phone call, and give feed back, in a group setting, different from others, felt a little awkward during third interview. Was chastised for dressing professionally to an interview.

Interview Questions

• Role play a scenario, where a customer calls in because netflix is not working.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

Phone interviews w/ hiring manager and an engineer on the team. They flew me in for a packed day of interviews. Went reasonably well, but one interviewer probed pretty deeply into operations issues / monitoring tools I didn't have direct experience with. Hiring manager said they were conflicted but my lack of ops experience was a deal breaker.

Interview Questions

• What, precisely, does the load average in `top` signify, and what does it look like if all threads in a pool are blocked?   3 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin. They ask some basic engineering questions to weed out any mismatches. Then you have a technical phone screen with hiring manager. If that goes well, then there is an onsite where you meet the Hiring Manager, HR and other senior engineers on the team. If that goes well, you get called on for meeting at exec level to filter for a culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Very detail oriented. Be prepared to come up with design/product improvement based questions. Nothing difficult really, but the answer can get tricky as they deep dive further into the design/ architecture discussions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pay top of the Market. I did not feel the need to negotiate. Very happy with the offer. Also, they are very persuasive. They make you feel needed.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

Group interview, about 6-8 people in a room they show you a presentation and then ask you one question. Then had to answer two mock customer service questions over the phone. First question is a made up scenario but a typical customer service question. The second question was a specific Netflix technical question that you had to answer using there system. Didn't require a resume or ask to see it. All they have you do is fill out an application.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite movie & tv show.   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week. The conversation went pretty well except for the tone of the recruiter. She seemed to really not enjoying being on the phone with me. I made it through to the next round and had a telephone interview with the person who I would report to. She called me approximately 10 minutes late and then let me know that she only had 20 mins to talk because she had a meeting. The overall tone of the interview was rushed. I could tell from the minute that we were on the phone that this was not going to be a good interview. I swear I could hear a ticking bomb in the background that just wanted to go off. After we chatted, she said that she had not talked to the recruiter but would discuss with her.

Interview Questions

• 1. Take me through your typical day at work? 2. What would be the most challenging aspect of this job? 3. Do you work better independently or in a team? 4. Why are you interested in this position? 5. Why do you want to work here? 6. How do you feel about Netflix culture?   Answer Question

Video Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Beverly Hills, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed years ago and went through 3 stages, from phone screener, to 1 on 1, then to video conference. This lengthy process eventually ended in me not receiving a job offer. Very arduous process to depressing results, with no honest feedback as to why I didn't get an offer. Their reasoning was vaguely "we found a more qualified candidate". Following my first attempt at joining their team, a year later I decided to reconnect with HR, once I saw similar positions open up again. They were cool enough to set-up a phone screener, but this time I didn't even advance past that stage. Their reasoning this time was even worse the first, being "our needs for the role have changed", only to see the same position still listed on LinkedIn, months and months after. I felt that I was exceptionally qualified for the position(s), so it was a bit ridiculous getting turned down twice by this company, especially when the employees I first interviewed with were no longer even at the company anymore. Obviously, those employees didn't work out, why not hire some fresh talent? They were never really prompt in getting back to me with their decisions and wasted a lot of my time. Worst of all, it just seems that this whole company is conceited with their "Freedom and Responsibility" cultural hogwash. Everything on their mandatory slideshow presentation is really logical and should be part of ANY company's culture, so I don't think it deserves special attention. I give Netflix props for their work-life / culture balance, but its 2015, let's not pretend that every other tech company isn't also shifting to this Millennial-focused philosophy. I'm personally done with Netflix and as an avid customer of theirs, I wish I could say nicer things, but they left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What interests do you have in the position? What are your thoughts on our "Freedom and Responsibility" culture?   Answer Question

Individual Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Netflix (Plano, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Poor structure, nonadherence to what structure was in place. Communication between phone interview to face-to-face interview was poor. Follow-up communication after offer was made was also poor. Was going to except the position but opted not to after the Communication between phone interview to face-to-face interview was poor. Follow-up communication after offer was made was also poor. Was going to except the position but opted not to after the initial interview.