Netflix Interview Questions

2.9

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Netflix.

The recruiters were very professional and organized. The interview with the team lasted about 2 1/2 hours. It's clear that Netflix is looking for a very specific kind of person.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you screwed up at your previous job.   Answer Question

Director of Product Innovation, Children and Family Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

I was contacted by Netflix asking if I was interested in a position with the company. After emailing back, the recruiter sent me a description for the Director of Product Innovation in Los Gatos, California. She also sent me a very long slideshow about the company's work philosophy. I had one phone interview with the young recruiter who was fresh out of college, and it seemed to go well. She said she'd let me know in a week if they wanted to schedule a second interview. It was right before the winter holiday break, so I assumed it would take longer. Well, I followed up with her in early January and never heard anything back. I've interviewed at companies in person and over the phone for 12 years, and this was the first time ANY company ever failed to respond after the initial interview. I was really surprised at the level of disrespect shown by such a highly regarded company as Netflix.

Some advice for Netflix:
    1. Offer candidates another chance for a first impression besides a five minute phone call with a 20-year old who has no work or life experience.

2. Practice professional courtesy by confirming with a candidate whether they are entitled to a second interview - after saying you would. Don't contact them out of the blue then completely blow them off.

3. Shred every copy of your work philosophy slideshow. It's one of the creepiest documents I've ever read and frankly I was much less interested in working at Netflix after reading it. It tries so hard to show how un-corporate the culture is that it ends up coming off completely conceited and self-aggrandizing - like something out of Egger's novel, The Circle.

Interview Questions
    • Overall, the recruiter's questions were fairly innocuous.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

2 phone screens: Netflix recruiter and then Hiring Manager
    Final Round: All-day, on-site, spoke to 7 individuals

Feedback was collected by the hiring manager as the interviews progressed, and allowed immediate discussion after the day was wrapped up.

I was treated well all day, and was a very professionally-run day of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Very bright people, and asked interesting case questions.

The HR person will ask you if you watch any Netflix shows (Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, etc). This is a big initiative (read: revenue stream), so be aware of it!

Most difficult question was technical based and involved describing the most efficient way to compare two lists of keywords.
        Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in August 2010.

Excellent, know the slide deck before regarding the culture

Interview Questions
    Easy, fast, willing to work with timelines

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

The initial process was almost a month from talking with HR/Recruiters to Hiring Managers. Had a total of 10 interviews/conversations with different personnel on the phone, in-person & via Skype. Definitely a new experience on being interviewed which I found was a slight over-kill, but that's the Netflix mantra on finding the best of the best, especially with their 'culture'.

After 10 rounds of talking to different personnel, I got a call that I didn't get the job, which I expected an email saying thanks, but no thanks.

I'm personally a huge fan of Netflix and I admire how coordinate/schedule their interviews on times & dates, but at least after 5 interviews/conversations, they should have an idea of a yes or no on a candidate, as at one stage, I really thought I would get a job offer as the interviews/conversations went on & on. But at the end of the day, they are looking for the 'right' candidate, which I wasn't the one.

Staffing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

I applied on the company website in mid-December. Didn't hear anything for three weeks. Then the Lead Staffing Coordinator emailed me to arrange a phone interview for the upcoming week. No hassles there, the phone interview went well, and the Staffing Coordinator scheduled an onsite interview the following day!

Onsite, I met with a potential co-worker, manager, and recruiter. It was a fairly relaxed interview with standard interview questions -- nothing unexpected. Everyone was friendly and made sure I felt welcome onsite.

Sadly, the Lead Staffing Coordinator emailed me the day after the interview and said they were seeking other candidates for the role. Overall, though, it was one of the best interview experiences I've had. Netflix prides itself for being prompt with job candidates, and that definitely reflects my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Asked standard questions one would find in any interview (Why Netflix? Tell me about yourself. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How would you handle [difficult situation on the job]? etc.)   Answer Question

Helpdesk Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Netflix in June 2013.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and scheduled for a phone interview for her. Didn't ask many questions and only had me talk.

Senior Software Engineer for Automation Tools Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Netflix.

I was in touch with the recruiting team and hiring manager for 2 months. I applied for a position and there was a HR call in October. A technical screening to evaluate my profile and skills was arranged. The initial call with the hiring manager went well and I was given a programming assignment to complete. The programming assignment wasn't something you could complete in a short period so I was given ample time to design and implement it. I spent roughly 10-12 programmer hours on the solution and gave it my best shot.

There was another call to talk about the solution and thought process. This call went well too and an onsite interview was scheduled. Given thanksgiving and other holidays the interview could only be arranged 3 weeks after. Dates were agreed upon, flight booked, hotel booked and I also took 2 day vacation for the interview.

I got a call last Friday that the position that I was suppose to interview for was filled and me flying in for the onsite interview was tentative. There was another position that I could be a fit for but the recruiter wanted me to talk to the engineering manager for this position. I go research this new position, listen to their videos over the weekend and also looked at the technologies that the team is using.

I talk to manager on Monday and we talk about a few things. He asks some questions related to how to test with mockito, junit and asks about my language preferences given that I was working on 2 different server side languages at the same time. I answer the question and I hear a huge sigh. I personally thought he was asking me questions just for the sake of asking.

I am personally a huge fan of Netflix and I admire how they are able to open source their technologies but this experience left me with a bitter taste.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave the previous company that you worked for?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in November 2013.

I had been in touch with a recruiter at Netflix for about 10 months before I decided to move forward with an interview. I didn't move forward earlier because I had been at my new company for about 6 months. When I reached out to the recruiter, she forwarded me to another recruiter who had an open position which matched my skill sets.

When I indicated I was interested in the role, she set up a meeting with the hiring manager who explained things in more detail, and also asked me some questions about my current role, and a coding question. Later that day the recruiter calls me back telling me they would like to schedule a phone interview with an engineer later in the day, or the next day. I tell them I'll need a week to get prepped, and we have it the following Monday, 5 days later. Within a few hours of the phone interview I get a call asking for availability to fly down to the HQ for an onsite.

At the onsite, I am scheduled for two rounds. A first one with 5 interviews (1 HR, 4 technical) and then 3 (with directors and VP for more high level/team fit). Advice: carry some energy bars with you because one of your interviews is a lunch interview, and your interviewer may not necessarily eat with you - so you want to avoid the awkwardness of eating and answering! Also, stop and get something to drink after each interview because you'll get thirsty after this much talking! Overall the people I met were friendly and open about Netflix's culture and didn't hesitate to answer any question I asked them.

I had the interview on Friday, and by Monday I was told that they were willing to make me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • - Describe one of the most interesting/challenging bugs you found in your system (this is after explaining the architecture in detail) and how you went about getting it resolved.
      - Expect coding questions through the entire process. Everything is fair game, from trees to recursion to dynamic programming
      - Make sure you read the culture deck on the Netflix jobs site, you will get asked questions about it
        Answer Question
    Unbelievable salary offer. Numbers aren't provided until you accept their offer. Very little room to negotiate since this is pretty much top of market.

Automation Tools Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

I got an introductory e-mail from a recruiter through linkedin, and since the company has brand visibility, I thought why not. I was probably already setting myself up for a complete waste of time as I already worked at a premium engineering company in NYC and had no intention of moving to the west coast.

After responding, I got an e-mail from a second person sent to my personal account. After going back and forth and rescheduling (and canceling once), later I got a response saying that the position had been filled.

Then almost immediately a third person wrote to me offering me a chance to continue to interview for another position for which she thought my skills would be good. After a 20 minute phone call, the next day I received an e-mail that her hiring manager (and her team) had decided that I didn't have the right skills for any of their vast array of positions.

I let the entire thing go as 'instant karma in a plastic bowl'. Ultimately I was wasting more of my time than theirs. No regrets whatsoever.